From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 8:43 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3015

1. Re: Convert To Biodiesel
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Re: Convert To Biodiesel
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Turbocharger availability
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

4. Re: Re: angle drive replacement question
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

5. Re: Convert To Biodiesel
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Oil Leak
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

7. Re: DeLorean Dents
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

8. Young, Stupid, Lucky, and thrilled as heck!!!!
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Convert To Biodiesel
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:01:55 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Convert To Biodiesel

I know this is going waaaay of track, but the Renault 21 Savanna 2.1 TD used the same gearbox and bellhousing.

I haven't yet discovered whether the Citroen XM diesels retained the same bolt pattern as the V6's... which are the same as ours. The XM had the best car diesel engine ever made (if you don't care about
emissions!) the XUD 2.5 turbo.  Therse engines are gloriously simple - no electric fuel pump, no electrics bar rev counter pickup, fuel stop valve and glowplugs (for startup).  Whether it'd fit or affect handling due to weight is anyones guess (cast iron block!) :-)

Don't get me started on diesels...

Martin

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 15:57:59 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

James,
I think a diesel D' would be neat.  What engine are you looking at?
One like is in a VW Jetta?  My mom just purchased a 2005 Jeep Liberty (Cherokee in Europe I believe) with a 2.8L in-line 4cylinder turbo diesel.  And it runs pretty good!  Rated at 500 miles per tank.  I'm thinking it should fit in a D' since it is a 2.8L and the PRV is a 2.85L?

Matt

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, James Pilcher <jamespilcher1_at_dml_y...>

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hot/model-search/

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 17:11:58 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Turbocharger availability

If you understand the science behind why turbos work you would
appreciate that as you increase boost you also increase the
temperature of the boosted air. At some point the curves will
intersect and you will not gain anything by going further out on the
graph except approaching detonation. Intercoolers become the next
logical step. Other possabilities include water injection and more
fuel enrichment. As I stated in a previous post you are only going so
far anyway with the motor before you start breaking parts elsewhere in
the drivetrain. Be happy with what you got, another tweak to increase
the pressure may be the "One too many". You also have to be aware of
pressure creep. the actuators may stick and go above 6#. If they do
most installations do not have overpressure or "Dump Valves" to
release excess pressure so you could overboost without knowing it. If
you hear load banging noises LIFT YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS PEDAL IMMEDIATLY.

Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 11:24:33 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: angle drive replacement question

I'd guess the high torque figure was prescribed because that's what it took
to pull the taper fit axle into the spindle. Once the axle is pulled tightly
into the spindle the high torque probably isn't as important and
tightening the nut as tight as possible is sufficient.

Bruce Benson

Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 10:34:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

The easiest way to do this would be to find a doner
car with a small Turbo-diesel that can run on
bio-diesel, then take the fuel delivery system from
that car and modify that. From what I have come to
understand, the fuel delivery system in the D is very
tempermental to beguine with, you are better of
modifying the system that was ment for that engine to
fit the D.
Some of the issues include finding a Turbo-diesel that
will securely fit the Deloreans engine compartment
with minimal modification. Them you might need to
adjust the suspension to compensate for any change in
weight. Then you will probably want to modify the
cooling system accordingly to compensate for the
cooling needs of the new deisel engine as it relates
to the PRV.
Lastly, you would need to modify the remaining
components of the drivetrain to create the best
driving conditions...basically, gear ratio changes as
necessary.
Lots of work, most of which is crunching the numbers
and making the necessary mods.
I am no automotive expert, by any stretch of the term
(or my imagination) so I have probably missed some
things, but you get the genneral idea.
Hope this helps
Jon Minor (no vin)

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:07:13 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Leak

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_u...> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the help. The bolt size must be larger than 22mm
> because that's the largest wrench I have and it still won't fit.
>
> Shannon
> VIN 16113

Yeah, I had to go out and get a 15/16 socket.  I borrowed a friend's
socket and ratchet with a 1/2" head (all my stuff's 3/8ths) and the
ratchet head was too big to fit in that space.  The deep socket I got
just grabbed on enough to get it free and later to crank it down and
crush that washer.  After I got all the stuff I needed it only took
about 15 minutes of lying on the ground and trying to figure out how
to get my hands up there.  About 1/4-1/2 cup of oil came out when I
unscrewed it and it ran straight down (rather than the course of the
leak) so beware.  I hate unexpected 'bleeding.'

Apparently the leak was coming THROUGH the switch, not the seal.  I
took it out for a spirited drive afterwards and not a drop came out
yesterday, though I'll admit I haven't looked today.

-John

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:30:31 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Dents

Matt,

We just had Chris Nicholson out to the Chicago area this weekend
and once again, he has done some amazing work on our DeLoreans.

Using the PJ Grady UK website as a reference, Chris refurbished
4 early gas flap hoods, similar to Project 3 on the website and
extensive gullwing door repairs very similar to Projects 12 & 14.
I cannot say enough about the quality of work that was done.

Dave Swingle saw the before and after conditions of the panels
(about a week apart) similar to Projects 12 & 14 and he was also
very impressed with the quality of work.  Marty Maier, Ron Wester
and Jake K. stopped by to admire the work as well after the DMC
Club Winter Brunch this weekend.  Jake drove in a snow storm to
NY last winter to have Chris fix a dent in his gas flap hood.

If the timing is right and the scheduling works out, the DMC Club
may have Chris Nicholson out to the Chicago area a few days before
or after the DCS 2006 show to do some SS repair and refinishing,
but if that happens, we will not know for sure until May 2006.
So this would be another reason to plan to come early and stay a
little later for DCS 2006 and the DeLorean 25th Anniversary events.

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:19:15 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Young, Stupid, Lucky, and thrilled as heck!!!!

Hello everyone,

I am the proud new owner of vin 2277, a five speed black interior
DMC with 34,000 miles. My wife and I flew from Los Angeles to
Denver, purchased the car (after a thorough checkup) and drove it
back to LA via Albuquerque (the 70 was snowed in!) We made it! The
car performed very well, and I would like to outline some of the
relatively minor issues I noticed on the way home.

DMC Weaknesses:

Cooling system- Stayed cool for the entire trip. I did notice
however that one of the coolant hoses was slipping off so I promptly
tightened it and purchased some extra hose clams to add some
insurance.

Electrical- Lots of minor problems and one major. The headlight
switch stopped working! I pressed it down and the running lights
came on but I could not get the headlights to come on unless I held
the button down. Not only that but now the running lights will not
shut off! I had to disconnect the battery at night so it would not
drain. I think it is just the switch. Dome light does not work, door
lights on drivers side don't work.

Power- didn't notice this one until we hit the hills in California.
I had to down shift to third just to make it over the pass! Totally
gutless, is this a vacuum hose issue or a tune up issue or both? The
engine runs well, just no power.

The engine will not stay started until the third crank or so. If I
pump the gas pedal it slowly sputters to life. Does this hot and
cold. Also sometimes when I start it the engine cranks up too 2500
RPM and sits there for a while. If I revv the motor it will
eventually drop back to 950-1000.

Angle drive died within the first 100 miles, bummer. No speedo but I
did bring my trusty garmin for just such an occasion!

24-26 mile per gallon. WOW! Indicates a clean motor I would think.

PLEASE anyone shout out possible solutions to these problems, they
would be much appreciated. BTW I am located in Mar Vista just south
of Santa Monica in So Cal. Is there anyone down here near me?

Nathan Sobieralski

Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:23:36 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, James Pilcher <jamespilcher1_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> It occured to me whilst fantasising about the fun i'm going to have in
> it, that the world's oil supply has just peaked and petrol (gasoline to
> you yanks) is going to get more expensive and then run out altogether.

You'll be long gone before the oil supply is, trust me.

> How monstrous a task would it be to replace the PRV with a Turbo-diesel
> that could run on bio-diesel? I assume the fuel delivery system might
> need altering too?
>
> Any thoughts.....

Don't know exactly how much trouble it would be to make such a swap,
but probably a lot. I'm guessing it's going to cost you more in money
and frustration to attempt that than just paying the higher fuel
costs. The value of your car will be affected too. My advice - spend
the money on making the car run as best as possible mechanically in
it's stock form, and relax. It gets great mileage on a supply of fuel
that only the "powers that be" want to make you believe is close to
exhausted.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D