From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 5:28 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3019

From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

From: "Rob Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

9. Re: Turbocharger availability
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

11. Re: Turbocharger availability
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

12. Re: Re: Headlight Swich AAAARGGG!!
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Miss DCS06
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. DMA Holiday Party - Late Registration Extension
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

16. Re: Problem #1 Starting Problem...
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: Headlight Swich AAAARGGG!!
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

19. Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Failed CA Smog HELP
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

22. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

23. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

24. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:55:51 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Miss DCS06

I started a new poll on the DML polls section for the DCS06 show.

Miss DCS06.

  I am thinking of having a Miss DCS06 for the next Delorean Car Show.
This will not be a tacky Pagent. This will be for any Girl or Woman that loves Deloreans and will be attending DCS06. There will be online voteing and the winner will be announced at the DCS06 event on Saturday night. You will be voteing online for the person that submits the best essay on why they want to be Miss DCS06. There will be no photos or names of the Girls or Women so this is just based only on thier essay.
They will be given a Sash that says "Miss DCS06" and a crown and maybe flowers or other delorean related items for being chosen and maybe an article about them in the DCS Magazine. I have talked to Ken K about this and he said to ask around a bit to see what peoples opinoins are.
I feel this will involve more Girls and Women into the Delorean world.

Please vote in the polls and please take this subject seriously.

Thank you.

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 17:41:47 -0500
From: "Rob Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Turbos, transmissions etc

Marc,

You are right...Fred did say 300HP. We can't always be right David!

 As for your question #502 does not have electronic boost control but #530 does. It will be interesting to compare the two when I finally get 530 running again.
That won't be for some time as my intention is to finish the full restoration of 502 over the winter and spring in time for the next Ken-Show.

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 21:49:52 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Headlight Swich AAAARGGG!!

I think it's a good idea to put a 5 amp fuse inline  with the NU (brown with blue stripe) wire feeding the light switch.  It's  easy to do and will save a lot of future headaches.

"...When reinstalling it the positive terminal (which  was exposed) decided to ground itself to the console bracket and melted the  wire!"

D  & 6530

Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:04:59 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

No, I said that that was about as far as you could go without modifying the stock DMC engine internals. Peugeot WM LeMans car was a quad cam odd-fire twin turbo knocking out 800bhp. Same crank as ours....

Martin

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 02:49:26 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Problem #1 Starting Problem...

Hello everyone,

I hope you all will get used to me posting here, i am definately a
newbie!!

When starting my car it fires up great, then dies. Usually by the
third or fourth time it will stay running. If i vigorously pump the
gas pedal I can sometimes coax it to start by the second time. It does
this hot and cold but mostly hot, sometimes it starts up just fine
(emphasize sometimes) The times that it starts up fine it is USUALLY
cold but not always.  Is this perfectly vague? Hopefully someone will
be able to recognize these symptoms.

BTW I do hear the buzzing sound coming from the engine compartment.
(I have heard this is important)

Thanks in advance..

Nathan

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 02:53:33 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Turbos, transmissions etc

I could be wrong, I am going on memory. I do remember John Conway
commenting that the transmssion was also a limiting problem. Anyway if
you look at the input shaft you see that the roll pin seems way too
big for the shaft size. The main point here is that if you do start to
increase the power output of the motor you MUST take into
consideration other points of failure. People have damaged the
transmissions on cars that are naturally aspirated too so it is not
very far-fetched to assume that the input shaft will need to be
improved. It IS a lot of work and expense to put a turbo in and you
MUST limit the boost (and therefore the horesepower) so you do not
really have a cost effective solution for increasing the power. Doing
all the simple routine stuff is still the best way to improve
performance. A tune-up can seem like a BIG improvement if it is way
overdue and you really have to do it anyway to take full advantage of
a turbo. Just changing a dirty air filter can make a world of
difference! BTW among the improvements I have done to my installation,
besides the fuel enrichment, is to add a flexible metal duct from the
air cleaner to the air intake in the rear pontoon. This gets cooler,
fresh air into the motor. I also wrapped the downpipes with insulation
and the mufflers with high-temp barriers. The hotter you can keep the
exhaust system the more effcient. It also helps quiet it down a
little. The turbos make the exhaust noisey. I also installed a pod on
the "A" pillar with a boost gauge and an A/F meter. Anyway it is not
about raw horespower, it is the feeling you get when you have more
power! The Delorean starts to perform more the way it was intended.

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 23:09:44 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Raffle car Update

I had a few individuals asking about the raffle car and its automatic
transmission.
As is typical there are a few quirks in the auto transmission and if you
recall from the previous car we rebuilt the internal components of the
transmission to make sure it worked properly and it has worked fine since.

This car exhibited the same typical symptoms although mechanically the 2006
raffle car ran great all summer.

We are doing what we always do and that is to provide a reliable car to the
winner and as we speak the computer module is being replaced with a rebuilt
unit  to make sure it shifts properly and we are replacing the standard internal
 components in a standard rebuild of the transmission.

Dave Swingle, Dave Bauerle and myself removed it a few weeks ago and it
should be ready to go in a few weeks once we get the parts and get past the
Christmas Holidays.

The car is was in good mechanical shape and this will make it in excellent
mechanical shape.

Its going on two years for the first raffle car and we have now another
active DeLorean Member in Shannon and he is so pleased with the raffle car he  has
purchased a few more tickets on this one.

I have to say I now plan to get an automatic and keep it myself.   While I
like the shifting of my 5 speed on trips and in daily traffic I have  grown to
appreciate the automatic.

Good luck to those that have purchased tickets.

The winner will surely have a car to enjoy for years to come.

ticket sales are doing very well.

PS The Christmas Lights in Mason Ohio that have been topic to DeLorean
owners is about mile from where I live.  I saw it last night before the  city shut
it down because of being a traffic hazzard after an accident and  an incident
with an irate neighbor. (BUMMER) It was neater that the  video.

_www.deloreancarshow.com_ (http://www.deloreancarshow.com)

Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:24:19 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Marc Levy wrote:

>Fred said there was a 300HP limit on the trans..  200
>may be a typo..
>
>I wonder if Martin has the same typo when he said
>200HP was the max out of a Turbo PRV??  DMCH claims to
>get 190+HP on their normally aspirated engines..
>Turbo charger seems like a lot of work for an extra
>10HP.

Actually, you have that backwards. Generally turbo systems that are
offered as kits are 'bolt on' for the most part. I've never had any
experience with delorean kits though, (Heck. I'm not sure I could even
DRIVE yet when the various kits were still available, as by then the
cars were allready over ten years old) but even if you did need to pull
the motor to install it, you still wouldn't have to dismantle and
rebuild the motor. do extensive porting and polishing, install new cams,
etc, that you would have to to improve NA performance.  With the turbo
(when dealing with a kit that has all the parts supplied anyway) all
you'd need to do would be remove the existing exhaust system, bolt on
the turbo manifolds, plumb for oil and air, do the required distributer
and enrichment mods, put it all back in and be on your way.  Now if your
trying to design your own turbo setup, things become a bit more
complicated, but not overly so if your goals are to apply the turbo to a
stock engine.

VIN# 03209

(who has been following this thread with quite alot of interest, but has pretty much reached the conclusion that it'd actually be cheaper to do an engine swap with a more easily turbo'd engine than it would be to build and turbo a PRV that could crank out much more than 210hp or so.. )

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 04:45:33 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Turbocharger availability

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> In a daily driver, I wonder how many people with turbos really see
> any benefit at all, besides knowing they have one?

They might help on the freeway in the passing dept, but that's
probably about it.

With costs ranging from $5-$8K, these turbo kits and Stage II engines
simply appear to be a way to spend a lot of money to achieve very
limited results. For that kind of dough the first two digits on my 1/4
mile time slip better say "13", or the criminal speeding ticket better
read "160 in a 75", otherwise it hardly seems worth it.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 07:48:11 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Interesting (strange) Eay auction

Item #: 4596360800

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-DeLorean-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ4596360800

http://tinyurl.com/dnzh6

Interesting auction for what's shown as a 1982 DeLorean.

The VIN, according to the photo and description, ends with CD000590 -
1982 model VIN's are CDXXXXXX numbers, but we know that 82 VIN's started
with 010000 - so an 82 VIN of 000590 is incorrect.

Also, Carfax comes up with nothing on the VIN as shown in the photos,
and the VIN calculator at DMC-News says the check digit should be a zero
(O) for that VIN, not a six (6).

However, to further complicate matters, if the correct VIN was actually
SCEDT26T_CD010590 - the check digit would be a six (6). This car does
appear in the DeLorean Production Chronology as well. Also, Carfax does
show a history, and nearly identical mileage, for an '82 model VIN
ending in CD010590, most recently in California.

If it weren't for the photo of the VIN plate showing the 000590 number,
I would say it was a typo in the auction. Could be a scam, I guess, with
someone photoshopping a "0" for the correct digit "1". Looking at the
13th digit (the zero that should be a one), you can almost see where a
cut and paste might have been done. They did a pretty good job. The
newbie seller, zero feedback, private auction, low selling price also
lean towards it being a scam, IMO, though I'd like to be wrong just to
have this interesting VIN be true.

Anyone want to try and go see the car or recognize it? THe big
"DELOREAN" letters stuck on the A-pillar are pretty unique. If the VIN
plate really does read as the photo shows, that would an interesting
piece of VIN history.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:03:52 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

((14.7psi+6psi)/14.7psi)*(5040liter/minute)=7100liter/minute,

ignoring friction, assuming Gus is right.

It's academic anyway.

Rick.

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:34:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Headlight Swich AAAARGGG!!

Dave,

Where is the best physical location to do this??  The
fuse needs to be close to the battery, but where does
it split off to that NU wire?

Thanks

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:56:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction

James,

I noticed this auction this morning as well.  It
apprears as if the VIN is missing a digit
(specifically the 1 before 0590)

-Chris

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 17:21:25 -0000
From: "turbodelorean" <dmcfan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Miss DCS06

This, in my opinion, makes the car show get way off track of what it
should be. This is a car show for DeLoreans and DeLorean enthusiasts
not a pagent in any way. Spend time and money elsewhere. The museum
was a great addition to the show and those are the kind of things
that should be added. If you add things like that then you are taking
the show away little by little. I guess you can tell what my vote is.

Peter Kuchan

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:03:35 -0500
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: DMA Holiday Party - Late Registration Extension

Hey everyone..we are extending registration until tomorrow (Friday) night
for the Holiday party!
So far we have a lot of members attending, and would love for all of you to
come out and have a good time with us.

So come out and join the fun...ITS NOT TOO LATE!!!!   :)

To register, go to  <blocked::http://www.DeLoreanMidAtlantic.com>
www.DeLoreanMidAtlantic.com. You must be a DMA member to attend this event.
Membership is only $15/yr. and the benefits more than pay for the membership
fee. You can register for membership on the DMA website too!

If you have any questions, send me an e-mail at
<blocked::mailto:events_at_dml_deloreanmiatlantic.com>
events_at_dml_deloreanmiatlantic.com.

---Evil Dan
Activities Director

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:33:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Problem #1 Starting Problem...

Pumping the pedal on a Fuel Injected car does not have
the same effect as on the older carburetor engines.

Try to start the engine with you foot about half way
down on the pedal (don't pump it).

See if it starts up any better...

It is possible you have a leaking injector and there
is a pool of fuel sitting in the head that needs to be
blown out before it will start.

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:40:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Anyone in Montana?

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:15:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

  Doctor Dave's suggestion is a good one, especially since there is no fuse on that circuit.  It's a good addition.  The other piece of advice I have is to always disconnect the battery when doing electrical work!

  Jake Kamphoefner
  Double-0 1063

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:30:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc

For a DIY'er, A Turbo may be an easier bolt on..  But
for a DeLorean it is not that easy.

If we ignore the fact that these kits are no longer
sold new....

The Island turbo kit last sold for $8000.  Then, you
have to install the thing.  I have no idea how much
mechanics were charging to install it, but it does
require that HOLES BE DRILLED in both the lower engine
block, and intake manifold.  You also need to re-curve
your distributor.

Most of the gain (I think) from the DMCH setup comes
from the free-flow exhaust.  Although I can't find the
kit on the new DMCH web site, IIRC the cost of that
setup was about 1/4 that of the turbo.  The work to
install exhaust is significantly less than the turbo.
If you want to go for the whole "performance package",
it would still be less costly than the turbo.  I also
expect it will be more reliable.  Both setups are too
loud for my taste.

BTW, I came to the same conclusion as you.  "it'd
actually be cheaper to do an engine swap with a more
easily turbo'd engine than it would be to build and
turbo a PRV that could crank out much more than 210hp
or so".  Martin has the luxury of going to junkyards
and pulling bits from various high-performance PRV
setups.  On this side of the pond we don't have that
luxury.  If I were in Europe, I'd probably consider a
hi-po PRV rebuild.  Here, it is just not practical or
cost effective.

If you want 210 HP, you don't need forced induction.
VQ35 puts out 260HP stock!  "tune" it, add a
supercharger and your at 400HP! (But then you are back
in the price range of a hi-po PRV).  What would be
nice is if someone machined a custom adapter for the
VQ35 to the stock DMC trans.

I am finding that the Porsche 915 trans does not fit
well in the DeLorean frame, as others who have used it
claimed.  Looking at some photos of conversions using
the 915, I see the CV axles are at a significant
angle.  The 915 trans sits too far forward of the
wheels.  To place the 915 trans in the proper location
(based on the location of the rear wheels), the frame
of the car will need to be cut.  The decision to cut
the frame is where I am stalled right now on my
project.  :(

Maybe someone will come up with an adapter kit for the
DMC trans in the next week or so.  NOT!

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:35:52 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Failed CA Smog HELP

Here are the numbers:

15mph  NO (PPM) 1147 (1148 max allowed) Squeaked by..
25mph  NO (PPM) 1283 (978 max allowed)  OUCH!!

All the other nimbers are really low, way below the average.

Any ideas, is it the cat?

Nathan

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:58:06 -0500
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

Well, maybe somebody could give the phone number a call, although I
suspect it'd be a dead end.  I think you're correct, James, this auction
has all the tell-tale signs of a scam: new user, no history, private
bidder's list...  Not to mention all the wierd stuff you've mentioned.
Despite all the photos, it seems off.  The first "0" in the serial
number is definitely altered: has a straight edge on the right.  I'd
stay away from this...

- ed

1982 DMC-12 [11594]
1986.5 928S
1990 Coupe Quattro 20V

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:35:23 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

James is correct. The VIN plate on the car has indeed been Photoshopped.

The check diget of "6" in the photo, is actually the "9" from the end
of the VIN number. The cut out the "9", rotated it 180 degrees, and
planted it in place of the "0" that they erased.

Several things give it away. The first is that the loop on the "9"
character is a perfect circle, whearas the loop on the "6" is actually
oblong. The "6" is almost written like a "G".

The second being that that because of the oblong vs. circle variance
in the font, the "9" is not as wide as the "6". With the two "6"'s
being so close together, the difference is VERY obvious.

Finally, the shading is totally off. When the # was rotated 180, the
center section of the circle was then cropped, and rotated back into
place, to match up the shadows. The reason you can tell this is
because the center "hole" in the loop is not off-center. The embossed
section of the loop is now thinner on the right side.

You can also see where the shadow of the "0" was erased to the left of
the "6" too. There might also be a bit of poor shading inside the arch
of the character, but I couldn't say for certain on that.

The name and address of the person selling the vehicle matches up in
the public phone directory. However, the phone # shows different. That
one is 406-375-9245. I'd seriously consider calling this person, and
asking them to read off the VIN # verbatim to you.

I don't know why anyone would alter the VIN # on this car, but it does
also seem quite suspicious that they would not have entered it into
the auction information, for the quick-link car history check. Perhaps
there may be a lien on the vehicle?

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:49:28 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

The reason they didn't enter it in the auction information is because
the check digit is now incorrect - and Ebay's software checks for this.

James

(SNIP)

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 15:06:09 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 12/8/2005 10:46:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
james_at_dml_delorean.com writes:

Interesting auction for what's shown as a 1982  DeLorean>>
The engine compartment looks like a California car... but I wonder what  that
thing is that looks like a plastic overflow bottle right next to the  updated
metal overflow bottle, where the engine compartment light should  be?
Wayne