From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 9:41 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3020

1. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

2. Re: Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Failed CA Smog HELP
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

4. Re: Failed CA Smog HELP
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

5. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

7. Re: Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

8. Re: Interesting (strange) eBay auction
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

9. Autoweek Article
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

10. re: Miss DCS06
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

11. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Turbocharger availability
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

14. Re: Headlight Switch AAAARGGG!!
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

17. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Problem #1 Starting Problem...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

19. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

20. broken angle drive -- ok to toss?
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

21. Re: Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

22. Re: Re: Turbocharger availability
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

23. Porche transmission compatibility in Delorean
From: "rodrael1" <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "outatime12" <charles_gonzales1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:19:30 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction

Just ask the "seller" a question or try to make some kind of payment arrangement. Either the bad grammer or fodder about being out of the country will usually give it away. Nice photoshopping job though. TIP:
you can usually reveal a photoshop job by loading the picture into photoship and playing with the brightness and contrast levels. Most edits will be very apparent.

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:24:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction

I did a google search on the number.  406 582  8900  That number turned up as a local dial up number for an  internet service provider for that area.  Try calling it...you'll  get the computer squeels

  Erik

therealdmcvegas <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:  James is correct. The VIN plate on the car has indeed been Photoshopped.

The check diget of "6" in the photo, is actually the "9" from the end of the VIN number. The cut out the "9", rotated it 180 degrees, and planted it in place of the "0" that they erased.

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:39:11 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Failed CA Smog HELP

Could you post the rest of the numbers please?  It would be good to see the whole picture to get a better idea of what's going on.

Matt Smith

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:48:19 -0600
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

It probably is the cat.  But, if you like, you can retard the timing and fatten the mixture just a bit and see if that lowers the cylinder pressure enough to get you past.

California lowered the permissable level of oxides of nitrogen a couple of years ago and we've sold quite a few catalytic converters in CA since.

Here it is:  Part number 100419, $224.95 http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=110&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Warren at DMC

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 20:47:42 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Here's another winner. What could be wrong!!!
look for item # 4596440653

http://tinyurl.com/aq8wy

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, deloreanernst_at_dml_a... wrote:

> In a message dated 12/8/2005 10:46:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> james_at_dml_d... writes:
>
> Interesting auction for what's shown as a 1982  DeLorean>> The engine
> compartment looks like a California car... but I wonder
what  that

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:01:21 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, deloreanernst_at_dml_a... wrote:

> In a message dated 12/8/2005 10:46:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> james_at_dml_d... writes:
>
> Interesting auction for what's shown as a 1982  DeLorean>> The engine
> compartment looks like a California car... but I wonder
what  that
> thing is that looks like a plastic overflow bottle right next to the
 updated
> metal overflow bottle, where the engine compartment light should  be?
> Wayne
> 11174

Looks like that's just an overflow bottle that someone mounted. They sell them over _at_dml_  JC Whitney.
http://tinyurl.com/bhtd7

What's odd is it also looks like the moved the vacuum solenoid, and mounted it up on the firewll. Plus, it would seem that this car's A/C has been converted over to R-134a.

I'm also curious as to what that toggle switch in the rear tray on the center console is for...

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:02:23 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc

Although this may not be the case for all DeLorean turbo kits, my experience with the Island Twin Turbo kit is that the recurve of the distributer is included with the kit (when new), however you did need to remove your ditributer and send it in to be done.

For those of you acquiring used kits or attempting to assemble kits similar to the Island TT kit using partial Island TT kits (such as from a damaged DeLorean), there are some news parts still available. I'm also sure they can still properly recurve your distributor if you need to replace a damaged or missing one although there will be shipping and labor charges involved.

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 15:05:06 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Interesting (strange) eBay auction

This car has a number of customizations, including wheel locks and an alarm system.  Who needs that stuff in Montana?!?

The phone number listed in the Auction appears to be a Road-Runner dialup number (according to my Google search).

While I'm still not convinced that the VIN photo has been manipulated in the ways suggested, I know this car has features of later model years (flat hood, integrated door straps, etc).  So why alter the VIN image at all?  My guess:

This car was stolen.

Gus Schlachter
VIN # 4695 (Oct '81, I swear)
Austin, Texas

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:10:39 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Autoweek Article

The Dec 12th issue of AutoWeek magazine highlights the DeLorean in the Escape Roads section. The car in the article belongs to Mike Sturba from Windsor, Ontario who I belive is on this mailing list. It doesn't get into details but presents the car in a positive manner.

Bruce Benson

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:36:24 -0500
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: re: Miss DCS06

Rather than detracting from the focus of the show, I think such a pageant would only attract more publicity and wider exposure for the show, and thus the marque.

That said, if someone is seriously interested in pursuing this and wants to add an interesting angle to it, I happen to be good friends with "adult entertainment star" Arizona Sun and yes she is a DeLorean enthusiast (had her get locked in one of mine once when the door locks, window motors,  AND a/c were not working, in 100 degree weather nonetheless), and rather than have her steal the show from regular women, I am sure she'd be more than happy to be a judge or emcee at the show. She is currently not on a contract with any company so she would probably do it just about for free if I asked her, just for the fun of it. Anyone interested is welcome to contact me off-list.

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:26:30 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, deloreanernst_at_dml_a... wrote:

> ... but I wonder what  that
> thing is that looks like a plastic overflow bottle right next to the
 updated
> metal overflow bottle, where the engine compartment light should  be?

My car has a similar plastic bottle there:
http://tinyurl.com/bs2zz
It's a secondary overflow bottle. It was placed there by a previous owner, but I'm not really sure why. I was told owners with turbos often added them, but I don't have a turbo. My engine light is still there, but it was moved vertical to accommodate the bottle. Someday I'd like to have it removed, along with the inop Sears cruise control that was also installed.

And yes, I know, I really need to replace the factory header bottle!

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:19:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If you zoom in on the date "DEC. 81", you'll also see a distinctive hard straight edge around it (suggesting possibly another cut/paste).  It's just outside the box that the date is in.

It's fun analyzing this, but won't it be funny if someone actually goes and looks at this and it read just as it shows!  (damn digital cameras)

Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-DeLorean-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ4596360800

> http://tinyurl.com/dnzh6
>
> Interesting auction for what's shown as a 1982 DeLorean.
>
> The VIN, according to the photo and description, ends with CD000590 -
> 1982 model VIN's are CDXXXXXX numbers, but we know that 82 VIN's
> started with 010000 - so an 82 VIN of 000590 is incorrect.

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 23:43:32 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: Turbocharger availability

Dan,
     Have you ever driven a turbo DeLorean?  Some people like to push their cars, autocross, do spirited runs, things like that.  The Germans actually have a word for it, and forgive me for no umlauts....Fahrvergnuegen.  IMHO my car is a different animal than yours, but it suits me because I enjoy it.  I was never a fan of turbochargers and had my car not come that way I'd probably never have done that, but I love what my car can do.  I love being able to pass quickly with that power on tap.  I love being able to climb the hill on the 17 north to Prescott in 5th gear going from 2,000 ft. to 5,000 ft. in elevation.  I love knowing there's more there if I want it or need it.  It isn't an upgrade for everyone, I'll agree to that.  But for some of us Tim Taylor MORE POWER types it works quite well.  I certainly don't have the fastest DeLorean....but my car is quick and has the power I like.

To each his or her own.

Matt Olans
VIN 16816
www.az-d.org

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:34:04 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Headlight Switch AAAARGGG!!

Marc,

You're right that the fuse should be as close to the battery  as possible to protect as much of the circuit as possible.  I simply  put it just before the switch itself because that was easier and it will protect  the switch itself which of course is the whole idea.

I'll try to figure a way to trace it back and let you  know.  I bet there is someone out there that has a harness out of the car  that could figure it out easier....

D & 6530

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 08:34:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Headlight Switch  AAAARGGG!!

Dave,

Where is the best physical location to do  this??  The fuse needs to be close to the battery, but where does it  split off to that NU wire?

Thanks

Thank  you,

Dave

"Just Say  NO, to the COUCH POTATO!"

To see how go to _www.tvpedaler.com_ (http://www.tvpedaler.com/)

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 22:05:35 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

I called the number and it was a fax  machine....

D &  6530

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 02:28:34 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Marc Levy wrote:

>Most of the gain (I think) from the DMCH setup comes from the free-flow
>exhaust.

That's selling it a bit short. The gains achieved require the exhaust but come mostly from porting, polishing and high lift cams.

>BTW, I came to the same conclusion as you.  "it'd actually be cheaper
>to do an engine swap with a more easily turbo'd engine than it would be
>to build and turbo a PRV that could crank out much more than 210hp or
>so".  Martin has the luxury of going to junkyards and pulling bits from
>various high-performance PRV setups.

Cor, it's easy to say that, isn't it?! There are very few "high performance PRV's" and those that exist are like hen's teeth and not readily found in scrapyards! Even the old B28 engines are getting rare.
The modern (up to 97) 3 litre 12v lumps are quite common, but they're only 167hp, but seriously torquey. The Citroen ones are something I haven't investigated but by all accounts are identical but run higher compression pocketed pistons.

The bugger is always the ECU. Renault used a non-standard 66/3 trigger pattern and to make it doubly annoying, all the 3 litre cars in this country are autos and the trigger comes off the flywheel meaning you need the bellhousing and a manual flywheel to use the stock ECU. The manual EFI cars are rare or have the trigger sensor in a diffrent place to those on the turbo cars. The turbo engines and gearboxes are -very- rare and are worth a lot, going for over $1000 typically. AND you still can't just put it in a D for a lot of really annoying reasons (exhaust pipework doesn't fit, turbo 1/2" too far forward etc).

I've come up with a "recipe" for a 3 litre turbo but it'll take time and quite a bit of money to build it. Is it easier to just fit another engine? It's swings and roundabouts. At least with a PRV, you know it'll fit in the hole and bolt to the gearbox. Andy C is doing a 4 cylinder Cosworth and is having a nightmare with the bellhousing and clutch setup, not to mention the need for a dry sump setup and where on earth to put the intercooler. At least the engine and ECU is all self-contained though.

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/gallery/memberspages/acarvosso/acarvosso.html

In the meantime, we've developed our own Stage I & II which uses our free-flow de-catted exhaust, different igniton, different (no lambda) fuelling, better intake tract, higher compresison pistons, and high lift cams. Not actually all that expensive if you can do the work yourself.
When you can spin the wheels on a dry road, you start to realise the potential of the D as a really fun car.

Martin
DMC Ltd
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 02:00:59 -0000
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I called the number since I happen to be in balmy Billings now and come to find out someone fradulently used this womans phone number, address and obtained her CC info to open up this e-bay account.
She's had several calls today already and she's contacted e-bay to
investigate.   She doesn't know of anyone selling a Delorean so this
is a dead end.   By the way, Hamilton is 3hrs from Billings.

Christian Jarzab

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 04:31:22 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Problem #1 Starting Problem...

These symptoms can be caused by several things. I would start with a tune-up if it has been a long time or of you don't know how long it has been. It has more to do with age than mileage at this point. Bad ignition wires and/or worn sprak plugs would do this.

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 22:11:29 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

I just spoke with the person whose name was used in the  auction.. She claims her credit card was stolen and the auction is a  fraud.  She already has multiple fraudulent charges on her credit card and  said the thief also opened an eBay and AOL account in her  name.

She says the number in the eBay ad is actually an AOL dial up  number....

BEWARE!

D &  6530

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:15:35 -0800
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: broken angle drive -- ok to toss?

Is a broken original angle drive worth anything to anyone, or is it safe to discard?  I hate throwing DMC-related things away, but this one seems pretty worthless.

-Owen

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 04:47:11 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

John Conway still recurves distributers. If anyone needs his contact info I can provide it but basically you limit the mechanical advance to almost nothing. He does it by drilling and tapping one of the ears that holds one of the springs and puts a small bolt in it to stop most of the advance. Of course this isn't going to matter if you can't get the rest of the parts. From what I have heard the turbos are very scarce now and Island Turbo does not have all the castings anymore.
Many of the other smaller parts are still available either from Island Turbo, some of the Delorean vendors, or other sources of turbo parts.
The cost of the installation can cost over $1,000 and that doesn't include ANY parts. It is not exactly a bolt-in installation. It requires some machinist skills. You have to drill and tap the lower crankcase in 2 spots. To do that you have to lift the motor and remove the crankcase. It also requires removal of the exhaust system and the removal and replacement of any studs you will break in the cylinder heads. It is easier than an engine swap. It should only be done to a healthy engine. I would recomend a compression test and a leak-down test to verify the motor is in good condition. Of course the cooling system MUST be in perfect health, a turbo will make the engine produce more power and than means more heat. A tune-up is also a good idea.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_o...> wrote:

> Although this may not be the case for all DeLorean turbo kits, my
> experience with the Island Twin Turbo kit is that the recurve of the
> distributer is included with the kit (when new), however you did need
> to remove your ditributer and send it in to be done.
>
> For those of you acquiring used kits or attempting to assemble kits
> similar to the Island TT kit using partial Island TT kits (such as
> from a damaged DeLorean), there are some news parts still available.
> I'm also sure they can still properly recurve your distributor if you
> need to replace a damaged or missing one although there will be
> shipping and labor charges involved.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 20:50:24 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Turbocharger availability

Yes, but from what I remember, somebody had a hard time keeping up with my stock D on the way to Vegas...

*Ahem*  :)

Johnny
5518

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 03:59:55 -0000
From: "rodrael1" <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Porche transmission compatibility in Delorean

I did a full search with google on DMCNEWS and couldn't find item I was looking for, it seems that I read recently (within the last year) that Porche transmissions bolts into delorean axles does anyone know
more about that?   If so which Porche?

Thanks.

Rodney

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 03:31:33 -0000
From: "outatime12" <charles_gonzales1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

As someone who is shopping for a Delorean, Its happen to me many times and im sure if you bid you get a email from Ebay that says Beware they tried to contact or offer ect.  Im thru looking on ebay cause half are frauds  Esp with the one with the dead relative who wants your info and lives in England bla bla.

CG

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 05:48:29 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

This is just another of the many scam ebay auctions that for some reason, people choose to use Deloreans as the target. They always seem to take a car that sold in the last month or so, use the same pictures, and always has a low buy it now price, but the buy it now is always outside of eBay.

And the seller always has zero feedback. Just another scam auction as this car was just listed in November for sale. That badgeless grille and the older style chromed rims sticks out easily.

But a fool and his $$$ are soon parted, and this seller keeps trying to find someone to take the bait.

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, James Espey <james_at_dml_d...> wrote:

> Item #: 4596360800

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-DeLorean-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ4596360800

> http://tinyurl.com/dnzh6
>
> Interesting auction for what's shown as a 1982 DeLorean.
>
> The VIN, according to the photo and description, ends with CD000590 -
> 1982 model VIN's are CDXXXXXX numbers, but we know that 82 VIN's
started
> with 010000 - so an 82 VIN of 000590 is incorrect.
>
> Also, Carfax comes up with nothing on the VIN as shown in the photos,
> and the VIN calculator at DMC-News says the check digit should be a
zero
> (O) for that VIN, not a six (6).
>
> However, to further complicate matters, if the correct VIN was
> actually SCEDT26T_CD010590 - the check digit would be a six (6). This
> car does appear in the DeLorean Production Chronology as well. Also,
> Carfax does show a history, and nearly identical mileage, for an '82
> model VIN ending in CD010590, most recently in California.
>
> If it weren't for the photo of the VIN plate showing the 000590
> number, I would say it was a typo in the auction. Could be a scam, I
> guess,
with