From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 9:55 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3021

1. Re: Miss DCS06
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

2. Re: Turbocharger availability
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Re: Miss DCS06
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

4. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. DCS Fun fact update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

6. RE: Re: Turbocharger availability
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Autoweek Article
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Miss DCS06
From: "delorean3691" <bck2thefuture88_at_dml_netscape.net>

9. Re: Failed CA Smog HELP
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Re: Miss DCS06
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Re: Miss DCS06
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Autoweek Article
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: Problem #1 Starting Problem...
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Miss DCS06 form DCS prospective
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

15. Monster Garage...
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Turbos and automatics (no relation)
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

17. Re: Porche transmission compatibility in Delorean
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. RE: Re: Miss DCS06
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. James C. Personett -- found, or here I am!
From: "jimpersonett" <jimpersonett_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Emissions Failure
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 05:46:14 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Miss DCS06

I really see absolutely no need to bring a pornstar/"adult entertainment star" to the DCS to emcee or be a judge.  Keep in mind this is a family show.  We will have plenty of exposure (I assume you mean media) as it is.  I think there will be PLENTY of things to do at the show in terms of tech sessions, lectures, BTTF stuff, the JZD museum, etc, etc.  Not to mention Rich W. and his pre-events the week before the show.  I personally see no need to bring a beauty pageant into the picture, but the ultimate decision is not mine to make. We have all been to plenty of shows where bikini teams are present to pose next to our cars, I don't see the need to bring this to the DCS when the entire point of this special show should be celebrating our car's 25th anniversary and celebrating the life of JZD.

Am I alone here? If so I will shut up if a beauty pageant is what the community wants.

My $.02.
-Patrick C.
1880

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_i...> wrote:

> Rather than detracting from the focus of the show, I think such a
pageant would only attract more publicity and wider exposure for the show, and thus the marque.

> That said, if someone is seriously interested in pursuing this and
wants to add an interesting angle to it, I happen to be good friends with "adult entertainment star" Arizona Sun and yes she is a DeLorean enthusiast (had her get locked in one of mine once when the door locks, window motors,  AND a/c were not working, in 100 degree weather nonetheless), and rather than have her steal the show from regular women, I am sure she'd be more than happy to be a judge or emcee at the show. She is currently not on a contract with any company so she would probably do it just about for free if I asked her, just for the fun of it. Anyone interested is welcome to contact me off-list.

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 06:08:26 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Turbocharger availability

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_c...> wrote:

> Dan,
>      Have you ever driven a turbo DeLorean? I certainly don't have
the fastest DeLorean....but my car is
> quick and has the power I like...

Matt - I know you love your car. I don't mean it any disrespect. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the turbo kits or stage II engines other than what you get for the cost. You know my last car was a Vette, and coming from that background, you can get a lot more out of a small block Chevy for $5-$8K+ than a mere 60 to 80 hp gain. I've heard a DeLorean with a Stage II engine runs in the mid 15s in the 1/4 mile. That's not very fast for dropping $5K. An improvement over stock? Yes, absolutely! But worth $5K? To some, yes I guess, but to me, probably not.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:18:22 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Miss DCS06

I understand Mark's good intention, but I completely agree with Peter here.
The reason more women aren't into the DeLorean is that most just don't care
(and I mean no offense to the ladies here who do!).   I'm just not sure what
the point would be.  I always tell the story of when I took a girl I was dating for a spin in the DeLorean; her only reaction was "it's got a lot of leg room!"

If we need more ladies at the show, we can bring them.  -But the gals I know would rather stay at home than listen to me talk about the difference in DMC wheel castings for two hours.

Naturally, if I'm in the minority, you guys should do it; but I'll be outside kicking tires with Peter!  :-)

Jake Kamphoefner
For me and 1063

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 05:55:29 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
I think we have established that this auction is a fraud.
Move along - nothing more to see (or say) here...

Mike G  Moderator of the Week
*****

Also, I just called the phone number in the auction, and the guy on
the other end verified the auction is a scam, someone stole his credit
card #, used his phone number, and a generic aol account to start this
auction.

Just verifies what we already knew, it is just another scam.

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-DeLorean-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ4596360800

> http://tinyurl.com/dnzh6
>
> Interesting auction for what's shown as a 1982 DeLorean.

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:24:15 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Fun fact update

As I did last time and it seems like you all enjoyed it I will be posting
some fun facts on the registration and the car show in general

So far the number of states represented is already at 19.  We have  three
countries and an interesting fact is that the raffle car ticket sales are  being
made at the time of registration with most people getting one or two  tickets.
 Tickets were purchased separately last time.

Ticket sales for people not going to the show tends to be two tickets or
more.

The most tickets sold for the raffle at this point is 10 by a single
individual

The registration is scattered throughout the country with no real trends
forming at this point.

One thing interesting is that the Local folks in Chicago are waiting as IL,
one of the strongest states in every show has few registrations at this
point.  But that all will change its still very early and we started  registration
much earlier this year.

Zanies comedy club in Pheasant Run has contracted Tom Wilson to do a show  in
January for them.  When he gets there they are going to work on having  Tom
at Zanies during the show so that is another possibility that Tom will be
there for the DCS.  We will keep you posted this is a 50 -50 chance and is  up to
Pheasant Run not me.  We got them together and they will work out  what they
can.

We still have rooms left so no problem there just make sure you tell they
you are with the DCS or they will tell you there are no rooms available.

Have fun
SEE you in Chicago

KEN
_www.deloreancarshow.com_ (http://www.deloreancarshow.com)

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 08:25:19 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Turbocharger availability

Yes, it is expensive.

On the other hand, it can seem worth it when you are trying to merge onto a
highway loaded with trucks going 75 mph, or you have to pass a big rig in a
hurry to minimize the hazard of passing. The gains in absolute horsepower
may not seem significant, but it is a significant percentage power gain
and the driving experience is completely different.

Th DeLorean will never be a drag car, but it is a much more enjoyable
experience with the added power the turbo brings than

Whether or not it's "worth it" depends on your expectations for the car and
what you are willing to pay to achieve them. For some owners, it is clearly
worth it, while for others it clearly is not.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 13:05:40 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Autoweek Article

Thank you for the information. Here is the article online
http://tinyurl.com/7ocmc

Jophn

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:17:38 -0000
From: "delorean3691" <bck2thefuture88_at_dml_netscape.net>

Being a female in the Delorean community, I'll give my 2 cents...

I agree with Peter too, it really does take the show way off track. Money could be spent on
activities that focus more towards the cars and are family oriented. Personally, I'd rather
attend a tech session than parade down a runway. :)

-Tiffany Olejnik
Vin#3691

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_s...> wrote:

> I understand Mark's good intention, but I completely agree with Peter here.
> The reason more women aren't into the DeLorean is that most just don't care
> (and I mean no offense to the ladies here who do!).   I'm just not sure what
> the point would be.  I always tell the story of when I took a girl I was
> dating for a spin in the DeLorean; her only reaction was "it's got a lot of
> leg room!"
>
> If we need more ladies at the show, we can bring them.  -But the gals I know
> would rather stay at home than listen to me talk about the difference in DMC
> wheel castings for two hours.
>
> Naturally, if I'm in the minority, you guys should do it; but I'll be
> outside kicking tires with Peter!  :-)
>
> Jake Kamphoefner
> For me and 1063
[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:28:32 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Failed CA Smog HELP

15mph- C02 14.37 O2 .37 HC 16 CO .02 NO 1147
25mph- C02 14.45 O2 .37 HC 13 CO .02 N0 1283

Technically I only failed the 25mph of the NO but 15 mph was close.
(1147 out of 1148)Every other number is way low.

Nathan

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:47:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I agree with Patrick.  Its seems like it  would be a waste of time considering all the great things that are  planned for this show.  My opinion is to put our focus on the 25th  Anniversary of our cars and celebrate the life of John Delorean.

  Erik

"Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:  I really see absolutely no need to bring a pornstar/"adult

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:23:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

*****  Moderator Note  *****
Perhaps a poll would be more efficient?

Mike G  Moderator of the Week
*****

You are definatley not alone.  I think it would be completely unnecesary and might actually keep some people with familys from coming.  The chances that I will be able to come are somewhat slim allready, but if a pageant was added, my parents would definately not let me come.  I say we keep the show completely family oriented.

  Chuck

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:05:31 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Oops.. sorry wrong article! Will try again...

John

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:10:49 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Problem #1 Starting Problem...

OK the "buzzing" sound I mentioned earlier is coming from what I
think is the idle speed regulator. (the thing on the left side of
the motor with a plug on top of it) I touched it and it is indeed
running.

This morning it cranked for a while before the engine would fire.
Does this indicate flood condition related to the aforementioned
part?

Nathan

wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I hope you all will get used to me posting here, i am definately a
> newbie!!
>
> When starting my car it fires up great, then dies. Usually by the
> third or fourth time it will stay running. If i vigorously pump
the
> gas pedal I can sometimes coax it to start by the second time. It
does
> this hot and cold but mostly hot, sometimes it starts up just fine
> (emphasize sometimes) The times that it starts up fine it is
USUALLY
> cold but not always.  Is this perfectly vague? Hopefully someone
will
> be able to recognize these symptoms.
>
> BTW I do hear the buzzing sound coming from the engine
compartment.

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:11:37 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Miss DCS06 form DCS prospective

The DCS show is for everyone and as I say its your show.

In a number of cases we start with one idea and it grows into something fun
or entertaining.
An example is the Dunking booth
It started as a way to make a bit of fun of the rivalries on the DML and  was
actually received very well and will be a part of the show.

This one if nothing else shows the creativity of some of the members and I
found some of it quite funny.

We are not going to do anything to compromise the show and Mark had an Idea
and pursued it.

That is all I ask is if you want to do something give it a go and if  its
well received it will be an event at the show if not there is now  a guideline as
to what the people expect.

I have gotten a lot of e-mails about the porn queen.
Some quite humorous.

NO we are not going to bring a porn queen.

The original Idea was to just have any women interested write and essay and
pick from that.
No beauty contest no pageantry just based on the essay.
That is what Mark proposed and it flowered well beyond this concept.

And from that it went all over.  I enjoyed it.

We thank you for your creativity and discussions like this do bring
awareness to the show as some people that picked up on the thread were not aware  of
the show.

So we will see you at Pheasant Run and thanks Mark for taking your idea and
putting it in front of the DMC owners.  There is a place for everyone at  the
show and if you have ideas please bring them forward.  That is how we  keep
the show fresh.

Thanks

and see you in Pheasant Run

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:21:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Monster Garage...

Was in the book store yesterday, and see that there is
a Monster Garage book being sold.

It has a 2 page section on the DeLorean hovercraft.
All of the photos are of the destruction of the failed
project..  The short blurb places blame on the build
team for the failure.  All because they could not
follow Jessie's instructions.

No names were mentioned.  I am thinking that was done
so the members of the build team are less likely to
file charges for Libel, Slander, and/or Defamation of
Character.

Jessie James, teaching today's children that is it
cool to be a egotistical jerk...  and get to marry
Sandra Bullock.  :(

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:30:39 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Turbos and automatics (no relation)

Johnny,
     Lay off the cough syrup, alright man?  Seriously, I'm worried
about you....:)  I stuck to your heels the whole time I wasn't
leading at speeds in excess of 90 MPH.  The only difficulty was
passing slower traffic using the oncoming lane as a passing lane
when you zipped out and around with no warning.  Remember, you are
in a lower ratio than me at cruising speeds spinning higher RPM.
You are bound to be a bit more responsive, unless I downshift or get
some boost.  And ALL of this was with two large people in the car.
We outweighed you almost 4 to 1!  I'm not proud of that, BTW.
     I will admit though, I've heard a LOT of guff about the
automatics on here.  We have three members with automatics that have
gone on numerous cruises in and around Arizona with us and they
NEVER have any problem keeping up.  I was led to believe that the
automatics were slow dogs, but that just isn't the case.  I'm sure
they wind it out a lot more in each gear, but we've never had
someone fall behind because they were driving an automatic
DeLorean.  In fact, I can remember really working to keep up with
Matt Stits in Las Vegas when he drive his automatic.  Talk about
driving like you stole it!

Matt Olans
VIN 16816
www.az-d.org

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_g...>

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:29:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Porche transmission compatibility in Delorean

The Porsche transmissions will bolt right up to the
DeLorean axles.

I have a 915 that I am fitting in to 6068, so I can
verify the axles bolt up to that one.  I am told the
905 and G50 are the same bolt pattern.  The automatic
also has the same bolt pattern, but at one point Bob
(97 DeLorean time machine) said that it required that
he make longer drive shafts.  (the transmission is not
as wide?)

The G50 transmission was used in the 3 rotor Mazda
conversion.  I know of no other G50 conversions.

The 915 has been used by a few others, and I was told
it was a good fit as is.  However, I have recently
discovered that in order to use it without cutting the
frame, the CV joints are at a significant angle.  That
will take a big toll on the reliability of the joints.
 So the question becomes, do you replace CV joints as
a matter of maintenance to avoid being stuck on the
road?  Or cut the frame to install it correctly?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:36:13 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

*****  Moderator Note  *****
I think Ken is getting the message. Let's move on.

Mike G  Moderator of the Week
*****

No, you are not alone.

When deciding whether on not to travel to the show - in some cases at great
expense - one must consider what one is "buying". If the show includes
elements you find distasteful, then vote "no" with your wallet. That's what
I plan to do. There's no need to buy a product you don't like.

I happen to agree with you that including a beauty pageant is a poor idea at
best, and that it would greatly detract from the show, especially in the
25th anniversary year.

In fact, it has already detracted from the show.  Someone has already
started a poll on the DML, (As if Ken should be bound by the results or take
the poll results seriously in deciding what to do.) And someone else has
offered the services of a porn star friend to emcee the event. See how this
has already detracted from the show?

So I'm just waiting to see what the decision is so I can decide how I will
"vote" in the end. All I need to know is whether or not this will be a
feature of the show prior to the registration deadline.

-Joe Kuchan

>From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [DML] Re: Miss DCS06
>Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 05:46:14 -0000
>
>I really see absolutely no need to bring a pornstar/"adult
>entertainment star" to the DCS to emcee or be a judge.  Keep in mind
>this is a family show.  We will have plenty of exposure (I assume you
>mean media) as it is.  I think there will be PLENTY of things to do at
>the show in terms of tech sessions, lectures, BTTF stuff, the JZD
>museum, etc, etc.  Not to mention Rich W. and his pre-events the week
>before the show.  I personally see no need to bring a beauty pageant
>into the picture, but the ultimate decision is not mine to make. We
>have all been to plenty of shows where bikini teams are present to
>pose next to our cars, I don't see the need to bring this to the DCS
>when the entire point of this special show should be celebrating our
>car's 25th anniversary and celebrating the life of JZD.
>
>Am I alone here? If so I will shut up if a beauty pageant is what the
>community wants.
>
>My $.02.
>-Patrick C.
>1880

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 20:50:24 -0000
From: "jimpersonett" <jimpersonett_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: James C. Personett -- found, or here I am!

I posted earlier while not registered as a member, so I don't know if
this came through to the Addressee, so here it goes again...
While rooting around Yahoo! to see if it could *find* me, I came across
a post here looking for me, and/or a DMC rear quarter panel I owned.
I acquired the panel as a result of insureance payment for a fender-
bender done by my brand new bride :-(  I kept it as *insurance* against
future dings. I sold the car four years later in Seattle and the buyer
did not want it. The panel gathered dust in my garage until the mid-90s
when I sold it to a buyer in Phoenix.

Adam, if you would still like some original history on that car e-mail
me at my real address,   jimpersonett_at_dml_earthlink.net     I don't
normally use yahoo mail.
Jim
P.S.  Do the 2 rear quarter panels still have the gentle hammer dimples
imposed by my do-it-myself repair job ?  :-)

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:34:46 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

This is one of the reasons I have not advertised my 81 Turbo car on
E-bay. I am not sure how to best advertise it. I have let the vendors
know it is for sale and I have mentioned it on the DML previously. For
what it is worth I am doing it again.

81 grey interior 5-speed Island Turbo 20,000 miles. A lot of work
done. The S/S is very nice except for a crease in the hood. Some
scratches on the glass. Non-origional radio w/ power antennae. NCT
tires. Cracks in the binnicle. $25,000. For more info about
specifically what work has been done and what goes with the car
contact me off-list. The car is located in Northern New Jersey.

I also have for sale a rebuilt automatic transmission and a manual
transmission.

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 17:00:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Emissions Failure

 --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "vin4258" <vin4258_at_dml_d...> wrote:

> Unfortunately, Utah does not exempt from emissions testing
vehicles
> built after 1967 (why would they when they can get their $25 per
> vehicle emissions test fee).  Any thoughts on the original
problem?
> The car seems to run just fine at all RPMs and starts right up
every
> time.  Also, the area where the screw seems to be missing has a
> raised ring area, where an adjustment screw would seem to fit, but
> instead of a screw is a deep hole...

On the Front Range of Colorado (Not the Moutains -  Right RadDad!) we also have emissions tests for all cars. Sadly the car needs to be 25 years old to obtain collector plates. Next year, hopefully I will be in Chicago for the celebration!!. But even then you have to have the test every 5 years. Personally I love my Vanity plates "882FUTR" and collector plate would mean giving them up.

Last summer my car failed also and the problem was CO2. Like yours my car ran well, started easy but I completely tuned my car anyway and used an engine analyzer to get the mixture right. It still failed. It turned out to be the charcoal canister. It was saturated due to my car having been running quite rich prior to tune up. Speaking to my mechanic I had one of two choices. Drive the car for a week or two and hopefully let the canister purge and then it should pass or simply disconnect the vacuum hose for the canister and plug it and reroute it back into engine compartment and hide the end. I won't comment on what I did (5th Amendment),  but my car passed better than a new car 1 hour after the 1st test on the same tank of gas and no other changes.... I am not saying I disconnected anything, and I am not advocating anyone bend (break) the law, but everything is as it should be now, the canister hoses are all correct and working as the factory designed!

You may want look at your canister if your mixture is correct and yet the test is telling you that a rich condition exists this may be your problem. Good luck!

Point of interest, prior to this tune-up my car was a real hunter at idle. It used to sound like it was purring ranging from 750-900 RPM's cold or warm. Using an analyzer to get the mixture correct is the only way to go. My car now is rock solid 750 RPMS all of the time at idle, at start up, cold, hot, after miles of driving what an improvement. I've heard some people comment that they thought 750 RPM's was too low even if this is what the factory spec's are. I have no problems with this setting even at Mile High elevation!

Merry Christmas and Happy New year everyone.

Dan Haney

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com