From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:08 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3022

1. RE: Re: Failed CA Smog HELP
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

2. Re: Re: Miss DCS06
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

3. RE: Emissions Failure
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

4. Re: Monster Garage...
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

5. Re: Porche transmission compatibility in Delorean
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: Turbos and automatics (no relation)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

7. Re: Turbocharger availability
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

9. DCS Video and audio needed
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. RE: Re: Failed CA Smog HELP
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: Monster Garage...
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Cold Start Problem
From: "jedimasterglenn" <jedimasterglenn_at_dml_comcast.net>

13. License plate option ...
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

14. Re: Porche transmission compatibility in Delorean
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. RE: Re: Turbocharger availability
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Not really Delorean related
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

17. Re: Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

18. Coil
From: "Nick" <nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. RE: Rotary in the DMC DeLorean
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 15:14:07 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Failed CA Smog HELP

If the car has a manual transmission, could you try the tests again in higher gears?  I thought tests were based on rpms but if it is mph you might do better in a higher gear.  In general cars will do better if they are fully warmed up,  almost running hot.  Pull one fuse on your fain fail and watch it cartully?

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 17:59:28 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Miss DCS06

*****  Moderator's  Note  *****
*Blush*  I realized that as soon as I approved the post...

Mike G  Embarrassed moderator of the week
*****

Do the moderators even read the posts here? You would hope they would.

The original post clearly stated there is a poll going on this subject.

Mark V

On Dec 9, 2005, at 11:23 AM, Chuck McKnight wrote:

> *****  Moderator Note  *****
> Perhaps a poll would be more efficient?
>
> Mike G  Moderator of the Week
> *****

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:10:25 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Emissions Failure

I am also in CA.

I was at AAA today getting my one day permit to drive my car for emissions testing, and I asked about Historic plates in CA. They said the car was not eligible as it had to be of historic significance - Others have fought that battle in other states and won - but they were not sure if it also had to be 25 years old.  They did state that cars with historic plates in CA did not require emissions testing.

Has anyone else in CA been through this, or been granted a historic plate?

Tom Tait
#10902
Emissions Testing Monday - send good thoughts

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:11:59 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Monster Garage...

Marc and List,

As Marc pointed out, there is an MG book that has acrticles and photos of the MG DeLorean Hovercraft.  This has been out for a while, but I decided not to mention it here, since the coverage included was only after the build, with photos on the beach.
Unfortunately, the books writer only wrote information gleened from the final show and was not there for the whole build/story.
If you happen to look for the book, be aware there are several MG books available, with builds from several different seasons.

Since the MG topic was brought up, I thought I would take this opportunity to pass along two other MG related topics.

First, to the delight of many, Monster Garage was not renewed for next season according to an insider email I received.  So, for those of you worried about MG DeLorean Hovercraft Part 2, there is now one more reason that this will never happen.

Second, for those of you who would like to have an original copy of Monster Nation 1, with GT40 Rock Crawler (DeLorean build team) and the DeLorean Hovercraft episode (both commercial free), you can pick up the Monster Garage Season Three, 3 DVD set on most DVD sites (including Amazon.com) for less than the price of the original Monster Nation 1 DVD on the Discovery Channel website.

Sony is selling the season sets now, for a relatively low price, for those who are concerned about putting money in JJ's pockets.

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 21:19:33 -0700
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Porche transmission compatibility in Delorean

Dave, Mark:   Thanks for the info....

Tell me more about the G50...   What I am trying to do is install a three
rotor mazda in 10544.

Who did the mazda three rotor conversion, do you know?

Thanks,

Rodney

On 12/9/05, Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Porsche transmissions will bolt right up to the DeLorean axles.
>
> I have a 915 that I am fitting in to 6068, so I can verify the axles
> bolt up to that one.  I am told the
> 905 and G50 are the same bolt pattern.  The automatic also has the
> same bolt pattern, but at one point Bob
> (97 DeLorean time machine) said that it required that he make longer
> drive shafts.  (the transmission is not as wide?)
>
> The G50 transmission was used in the 3 rotor Mazda conversion.  I know
> of no other G50 conversions.

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 03:42:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Turbos and automatics (no relation)

I have an automatic and a 5-speed. The 5-speed definately has more acceleration. The automatic can go as fast as the 5-speed, it just takes a little longer to do it. The 5-speed has much better mileage if you can stay in 5th gear meaning hiway cruising. In traffic the automatic is much more pleasant to drive and I would suspect it would get better mileage. The 5-speed has 5 gears to divide the power up into as opposed to the automatic with 3. The automatic also has some slippage in the torque convertor, the 5-speed has a direct gear (5th).
It comes down to driving style and the type of traffic you drive in.
IMHO a sports car is supposed to have a manual transmission but my wife will not learn "stick". Whenever I caravann with the club I never have trouble keeping up with my automatic but I do seem to need fuel a little sooner than the manuals on long trips. Lucky some of the members need constant pit stops (and not for the cars!).

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:34:19 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Turbocharger availability

Joe - I'll give you this. If money were no object, I'd go with a Stage II engine just for the mere convenience. For me, the cost of the engine is a lot, and I want more "bang for my buck". I'm not necessarily saying the engine or turbo kits are overpriced. If that's want it cost to develop, produce and make a reasonable profit, then those are the costs. For me, it's just not worth what you get. I love the car enough that I'm willing to accept and live with it's short comings in the performance dept.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 23:27:59 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc

Martin Gutkowski wrote:

> In the meantime, we've developed our own Stage I & II which uses our
>
>free-flow de-catted exhaust, different igniton, different (no lambda)
>fuelling, better intake tract, higher compresison pistons, and high
>lift cams. Not actually all that expensive if you can do the work yourself.
>When you can spin the wheels on a dry road, you start to realise the
>potential of the D as a really fun car.
>
>Martin
>DMC Ltd
>www.delorean.co.uk

Hmm. Exactly how much is 'Not exactly all that expensive' and do you ship overseas? :D I 've rebuilt engines in the past, (and done porting/polishing work) so I know i'm capable of doing the work properly.
While I'll admit to never calling DMCH and openly asking if they'll sell me any of the components they use on their stage II engine. (high lift cams, for example) I seem to remember reading on their old website that they had to install such components and do the tuning themselves.
(meaning you had to pay them labor, wether you could do it or not.) That isn't really something i care for, being on a budget and all.

I'm also curious as to wether or not you sell the items outside of the complete package or not?  Reason I ask is because i'm not sure how far i'd like to go. I know i'd certainly like to put in high lift cams while i'm into my engine work, and will definatly do a free flow exhaust of some type, wether it be DMC ltd's, DMCH's or one of my own design.
However I AM pretty sure I don't want an increase in compression. Doing so on an engine of this type with no knock sensor would mean having to buy premium as a mandatory to guard against detonation.  I  know I allready cringe enough every time I fill up my '98 intrepid with regular. :P I'm also not sure I want to get rid of the lambda system either. If I go with a catted exhaust, it will ensure that the new cats don't incenerate themselves from a too rich mixture. If I don't run cats after my rebuild, well then, the system can also be 'adjusted' a bit, to keep the mixture at a more power generating a/f ratio than stoichiometric. So I think it'd be a good thing to keep either way.

At this point in time. I've come to realize any ideas I had concerning turbos or engine swaps are pretty much just pipe dreams with my current finances, and timeframe for getting my D back together (was shooting for driving it to DCS.. but nolonger have much hopes of that unless I get ALOT more free time than I have had lately)  Guess I'll save that for my next D, if I can ever afford a second one.

VIN# 03209

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:05:28 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Video and audio needed

Hi

Well its time to crank up the work on the show and start getting tasks complete

The one thing we would like to add to is the video In PF we had 23 hours of video shown on the projection screens.

I know that out there are lots of video and photos out there so  if you have some you would like to share please feel free to send it in.

As you know I do not resell or distribute any materials I get.  We  keep them for the shows.

I am interested in any of the following

DeLorean Promotional videos (I have about half) DeLorean Factory Footage Local gatherings (photos or video) Television spots ( I have NONE) This is video on TV Shows

Send to
DeLorean Car Show Inc
4500 Woodland Dr
Mason, OH 45040

There is still room in the museum for your items so if you have rare items we would like to show them at the show.

Michael Pack can you contact me on this I would be interested in showing some of your items also if you would like to share them with us.

If you want to help add to the DCS inventory then please send me what you have I can copy it and return it if you do not have duplicating equipment.

ALSO If you have any ideas for the show now is the time to get them  out.
The show will be finalized shortly.

We also are looking for articles for the magazine although this issue is almost full.  If you have any shots that can be used as a cover we would be interested.  If you liked the last cover from Europe We have a few other  shots from Elvis (DeLorean) that are excellent that we can use.

Registrations are going very very well so we are expecting a full  house again.

Three local Chicago Papers are now covering the show.

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:53:18 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

Try enriching your mixture just a bit.  NO is developed at very high combustion temps.  A new cat might also clean it up a bit.  do you have a no-contact pyrometer? If you do then you can test your cat.

Darkstar

If the car has a manual transmission, could you try the tests again in higher gears?  I thought tests were based on rpms but if it is mph you might do better in a higher gear.  In general cars will do better if they are fully warmed up,  almost running hot.  Pull one fuse on your fain fail and watch it cartully?

15mph- C02 14.37 O2 .37 HC 16 CO .02 NO 1147
25mph- C02 14.45 O2 .37 HC 13 CO .02 N0 1283

Technically I only failed the 25mph of the NO but 15 mph was close.
(1147 out of 1148)Every other number is way low.

Nathan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_j...> wrote:

> Could you post the rest of the numbers please?  It would be good to
> see the whole picture to get a better idea of what's going on.
>
> Matt Smith

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:57:36 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

It should be obvious to anyone, whether a D owner or casual viewer, who views the episode why the build was a failure. I'm a Jessie James and Monster Garage fan, but it's safe to say that if he was not off getting ice cream and avoiding the build in the beginning with a negative attitude because he holds no appreciation for the car or the hovercraft build concept, then the direction of the build would never have gone off track, and there would have been plenty of time to accomplish the goal the hard "Monster Garage" way. By the time Jessie found a personal "I hate to fail" reason to get himself into the spirit of things, there was not enough time left to recover. Jesse's fault for not being a leader from the start and keeping the build within the context of the show's concept. The build team deserves no blame for the failure.

I'm sure this has been overly discussed here on the DML, so I'll shut up now : )

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:49:57 -0000
From: "jedimasterglenn" <jedimasterglenn_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Cold Start Problem

Hi,

John Hervey has been helping me troubleshoot a cold start issue I'm
having (he's great...as I'm sure everyone on the list knows!).
While I'm waiting for a call back from him, does anyone have tips
for what I should check next?  Here's the problem/troubleshooting to
date:

The car will not start cold.  The starter turns, but the engine
doesn't fire.  I've tried jumping it to no avail.  Once the engine
is warm, it starts immediately.  The battery is definitely good.
I've replaced the cold start valve, the TTS switch and the warm up
regulator.  The last time I got it to start cold, my mechanic jumped
it with a heavy duty jump starter (not sure if that was just chance
or a clear indicator of a voltage problem).

No gas is coming out of the cold start valve when I try to start it,
so I'm guessing it's a voltage issue...but I don't know where/how to
test for this.  If I understand correctly, the voltage to the cold
start valve is generated by the starter solenoid.  Maybe it's a bad
starter?  What are the points I should be checking to measure
voltage?

It's either voltage or pressurization I'm guessing.  I hear clicks
(I think from the relays) when I turn the key, but I've been told I
should hear something from the engine.  Can someone describe what
should be happening?  I'm a total novice, so the more primitive the
instructions, the better!

Thanks!
Glenn

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:32:11 -0600
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: License plate option ...

While talking with a police friend, I learned an option for plates for any
car.  At least this supposedly works in MN.

If you can find a plate from the year your car was built and the number is
not currently in use, you can use that old plate as the plate for your car.

So I need to find a 81 MN plate.  Preferably DMC 897 :-)

Nick

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:27:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

http://www.eliseusa.com/rotary.htm

From what I understand, there was a lot of cutting to
make that engine and trans fit in the DMC.

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:27:57 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Turbocharger availability

Understood. If I wanted "real" power and didn't care about maintaining
originality, I'd do a motor swap. It would be cheaper overall and get you
into something more modern for which performance parts availability isn't an
issue. Of course then you'd have to replace or beef-up the tranny, too.

-Joe

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:42:12 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Not really Delorean related

But I just want everyone to see this, its amazing.  I would recommend a
high speed connection for this.

http://www.wservernews.com/D16NGO/051212-xmasvideo

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

Bernie

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 15:46:38 -0600
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Interesting (strange) Eay auction

We all agree this auction was a scam, but take a look at this auction:

   http://tinyurl.com/74sgm

This was the original auction of the REAL car.  Notice the photo of the
VIN plate...look familiar?  All they did was change a "1" to a "0".  I
duplicated this effect in Photoshop in about a minute.  Really makes
you wonder about photos in other auctions.

The bottom line: buyer beware!  Give them the check when they hand you
the keys.  Inspect it yourself, or have someone you trust do it.

The only question I have now is: if this is clearly a scam, why is the
auction still listed on eBay (as of 4PM CST Saturday)?!?

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 22:24:39 -0000
From: "Nick" <nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Coil

Hi,

Can anyone give me the part number for a performance bosch coil that
is suitable for the delorean. I would like the 'best of the best'and
at this point have given up trying to save money on the restoration!
I already have some 8mm leads made up. I am in Australia so i should
be able to cross reference any bosch part number. The coil will be
used in conjunction with a new Haltch EFI set up and a vortex
supercharger (already fitted). The car is going for an exhaust
system in the new year and hopefully back driving soon!

Also on another topic. When people are quoting Hp figures. Are these
quoted at the wheels or at the flywheel?

Is the 130hp that a stock Delorean generates tested on a vehicle
dyno or an engine dyno?

Cheers, Nick 10927

Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 01:19:48 -0000
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Rotary in the DMC DeLorean

Rodney,

Jim did the black rotary conversion and the website is:-
http://www.eliseusa.com/rotary.shtml
The video of the Rotary car can still be downloaded and Jim can still be
contacted at the bottom of the same webpage.

My previous discussion with Jim is edited below:-

Re: Rotary DeLorean 28/10/04

The spec of the engine was:-
The 20b engine is a 2.0 Litre, 3-rotor rotary wankel engine, 300HP, and
297ft-lb of torque at 3000RPM.  It was originally sold in a very large
heavy car, the eunos  cosmo JC, sold by Mazda in 1990-1996 in Japan and
Australia.  It resembles the 929.  The miata (mx-5) is known as the "eunos
roadster" some places.
The Cosmo was available only with an automatic transmission.  Pics are
available at http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/pg09.htm with some more
specs.  The horsepower figures are 'claimed' at 280hp because that is the
legal limit for street cars in Japan.  Independent testing found that the
20b is consistently ~300hp.

Regarding what I'd change if I did it again, I'd probably use the 13b,
2-rotor.  Parts are MUCH easier to find, and it would fit in the DeLorean
better.  The 20b and the extra gear in the g50 transmission ended up making
the unit very long, only fitting in the D frame with significant
modification.  The 5-speed box or the 2 rotor (one rotor and side-housing
shorter ~6") would make a better fit.  It's also lighter.  They also have
much less electronics than the 20b, which came in a state-of-the-art luxury
car in the 90s (read, thousands of wires).

Turbos are often used more than superchargers because they take away less
power to operate well.  They're also more often used with
small-displacement engines.  The import engines generally rev to higher
RPMs, and turbos are more effective/efficient than superchargers at higher
RPMs.

http://photos.noroads.com/dcs2004?id=499

Adding NOS to your car is probably a reasonable modification that can be
done without spending the time and money on conversion.  Also, resale value
on conversions are JUST NOT very good in general, and are horrific with the
Delorean.  You can pick up a nice "wet" NOS setup for ~$600USD, and you
could expect a reasonably increase in HP.  You just have to be willing to
change NOS bottles when they go empty, which is only as fun as you can make
it.

I don't think I'd put the NOS in the trunk though, that seems a little far
away from the point of use.  I'm not sure if there is a reasonably better
place to put on though- maybe in the pooka behind the driver seat?  Maybe
make a hole in the rear pontoon?  Well, I guess it depends on the size of
the bottle.

Jim

The NOS prices you saw are pretty high, you can look at some systems at
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=361&cgrfnbr=6
66

Remember, you don't have EFI.   It's mechanical Fuel Injection, and may
make a different depending on the setup.