From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:21 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3026

From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: "outatime12" <charles_gonzales1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. FlexPlate for sale
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

15. Re: Coolant Coming Out
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. Re: Idle mixture screw
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

17. Re: Running Rich!?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

18. Re: Why I love David Teitelbaum's posts
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

19. Re: Coolant Coming Out
From: "Cliff Wallace" <thereddog_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

20. Re: Coolant Coming Out
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

21. RE: Coolant Coming Out
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Why I love the Delorean
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Why I love the Delorean
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. RE: Re: Strange request for DCS
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

26. Re: Coolant Coming Out
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:56:33 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN

Did you check the oxygen sensor?  I replaced mine and the HC and NO levels dropped dramatically.

Matt Olans
VIN 16816
www.az-d.org

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_y...>

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:50:13 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Failed CA Smog HELP

Hmmm...  It looks like you might be running a little too lean.  The
CO2 reading are down a little from what I'd like to see, the O2 is also a little low, HC is quite low, (I'd like to see closer to 75-100ppm, though lower is less polluting).  CO I'd like to see closer to 0.1-0.5 or so.
I'm not sure exactly what the limits are where you live, so these are just ballpark figures based on WA emission standards.
All in all it looks like you have a good running engine that is just a touch lean.  Richening slightly will lower the combustion temps and lower the NOx levels.  Just don't raise it so much that you fail on CO :) If it isn't possible to bring everything into specs, the Cat may be starting to fail, but I don't see anything really wrong with it based on the numbers.

Matt Smith

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:27:18 -0800
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>
Subject: Re: For Sale: DeLorean Literature

Could the person that ended up buying this please email me, I have a question for them.

tamir (at) entermyworld (dot) com

Thanks,
Tamir

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:24:15 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Revolving License Plate

It's not exactly designed to work with North American plates either.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:49:12 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Revolving License Plate

On 12/11/05, Joe OBrien <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
> OK, maybe I'm missing the point. Other than simply making a liscense
> plate tilt flat, what does it do?

That's it. It tilts the plate flat. Why?

They claim it's so you can "clean it easier", but that's a load of BS.
It's intended to illegally hide your license plate from speed cameras,
etc. Witness this question from their FAQ:

"We will also offer GPS-units that can be connected to the control
unit directly, so you can program the coordinates of your choice and
automatically allow the clearplate to operate by GPS-control."

Right. Because you need your license plate to tilt down when you are
in a certain location, for the purposes of /cleaning it/. Uh huh.

I suspect these will be quickly made illegal in most countries.

--
- Ryan

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:40:04 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Running Rich!?

It might be as simple as your air filter.

My car would pull the "almost die" stutter once a trip if I didn't let
it warm up for a minute or so before driving.  I'd add gas to
compensate for the hesitation and it would be fine for the rest of the
trip.

Now that I've changed my air filter, which was really cruddy, there is
just the barest of hesitations at the old "almost die" point, the car
idles better, smells better and has significantly more power.

Easy to check anyway...

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>  I'm having a slight issue with my car... Before the car warms up,
the
> car almost wants to die if I press the gas... Meaning the RPMS go
> wayyy down. After the car warms up, pedal response is close to
normal.
> But still its not PERFECT. Also, I smell gas A LOT in my exhaust...
so

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:19:08 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Why not just take it over to Don Steger at DeLorean Motor Center and
let him find the issue(s) and fix them so it will pass, then you're
done with it?

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:50:01 -0000
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Las Vegas/ Arizona Owners

Hey you DeLorean owners from Arizona and Las Vegas its me Stefan and I
will be visiting Arizona near the end of December beginning of
January. I am interested in meeting any of you owners from this part
of the country. If anyone is interested in meeting you can email me or
PM and we can arrange something. Dec. 28- Jan 1st I will be in Tuscon
Az. Jan 2nd -4th Las Vegas, 4th,5th and 6th, will be between the grand
canyon, sedona and Pheonix. Thank you and hopefully we can arrange
something.
Stefan Diklich - Vin 10632

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:31:24 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Why I love David Teitelbaum's posts

David,
     You missed the point entirely....:)  I wasn't in MY car.  I was
in another owner's car.  I was just touting the wonders of GPS and
the many uses.  Since I realize I didn't make that clear, it is also
nice to know that you have a backup speedometer working instead of
fumbling for an RPM to MPH conversion chart at whatever speed you
are traveling.
     However, I used to have an RPM to MPH conversion table in my
car, but I gave it to a brand new owner at our holiday party earlier
that day since his angle drive had gone out.  I've pretty much got
the necessary speed to RPMs memorized anyway, but looking at analog
gauges in a DeLorean took a bit of getting used to.  Of course, it
only works if you have the correct size rear tires, too.
     However, you make an interesting statement when you say "It may
not be accurate but it will keep you out of trouble until you can
fix your angle drive."  Um, maybe I missed something, but if it
isn't accurate, why would I use it and how can it keep me out of
trouble?
     What exactly do you mean "leave it laying in your binnicle"?
My binnAcle has no pockets IN which I can put anything.  Did you
mean in your glove box, or ON your binnacle perhaps?  Since angle
drive failure is an all too common occurrence, I'd like to clarify
your statements for all those out there who are about to experience
such a terrific event....:)
     Ok, ok, I'm giving you a hard time because, well, because I
can....:)  However I would like you to clarify the above statements
for future angle drive failure candidates so that they can heed your
advice in the correct Teitelbaum way.

Thanks,
Matt Olans
VIN 16816
www.az-d.org  The Arizona DeLorean Club

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:45:17 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Coolant Coming Out

Update:  I've been putting in coolant for the last several mornings.
When I stop the car some of the coolant comes out of the hose that
connects to where the coolant cap is.  Not alot, but some.  I'm
assuming it's coming out when I'm driving, but I don't know that.
Other than the fact I keep putting more in.  Any ideas what would
cause that?  Thanks very much for the advice.

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:40:02 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Why I love the Delorean

OOPS! ;) I was off the scale, nice to know the car will acutally do
that.

Bernie

wrote:

> Go over to dmcnews.com and look in the "other files" and you will
find
> an RPM to MPH conversion table for automatics and 5-speeds. Print
the
> one for your car out, laminate it, and leave it laying in your
> binnicle. It may not be accurate but it will keep you out of
trouble
> until you can fix your angle drive. A lot cheaper than a GPS.
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_c...> wrote:
> >
> > Bernie, Marv,
> >      The drive to and from Las Vegas has claimed many an angle
> > drive.  Mine went on the previous Las Vegas run and when it
quits I
> > also lose cruise control.  I will say this: Marv has GPS in his
car
> > and there is a digital speedometer on it which continued to
> > function.  One more reason to spring for GPS.  That's a heck of
> > lot better than trying to explain to the officer that you were
> > going "00".
> >      We had 12 DeLoreans at the party and 14 owners for a total
of
> > 33 people.  10 cars showed up later at the show as well.  It was
> > really a good time to be had by all.  We had owners from as far
away
> > as Las Vegas, Tucson, and Houston, TX.  One of our owners had
just
> > returned from Maine that morning and still chose to spend the
day
> > with us.  We really have a great group!
> >
> > I hope everyone will make some time to come join us this year.
> >
> > Matt Olans
> > VIN 16816
> > www.az-d.org
> >

> > --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_h...>
wrote:

> > > Group,
> > >
> > > If you are a lone owner some distance from a club, I encourage
you
> > > to make the extra effort to join and get together, even if
only
> > > occasionally. If you ever have a chance to caravan with one or
> > more
> > > DeLoreans, DO IT!
> > >
> > > Cameron Dengler and I made the run from Vegas to Phoenix and
back
> > > this past weekend with our families (my wife drove the chase
Yukon
> > > with luggage and extra kids).  The AZ-D was having their
holiday
> > > party and we weren't going to miss it!  I think we pulled
eleven
> > > DeLoreans together in Phoenix, including a "new car" delivery
from
> > > DMCH to the party!
> > >
> > > This was my first chance to really drive any distance since I
> > bought
> > > my D in May.  It's been chomping at the bit being a daily
driver.
> > > had no idea how much it wanted to GO.
> > >
> > > Both DeLoreans performed flawlessly round-trip, gobbling up
the
> > > hills between Vegas and Phoenix.  I rarely had to downshift,
so I
> > > really have no justifiable complaint about the power of my D.
> > > Downhill was a blast... soaring through curves at 75 MPH in
> > neutral
> > > for 2-3 minutes at a time.
> > >
> > > With the sun shining, 88 MPH on the GPS speedo and Cameron's
iPod
> > > broadcasting "Back in Time" to all three cars on "Radio Free
DMC,"

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:13:39 -0000
From: "outatime12" <charles_gonzales1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Looking for Mr Gorra

Bob Gorra of NJ.

if your on this list contact me at charles_gonzales1(AT)html.com about
your car.

Thanx

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:51:43 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

what did you do differently?  what did you change?

Darkstar

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 01:05:59 -0000
From: "stefandmc" <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: FlexPlate for sale

I have my old flex plate for the auto tranny for sale. The plate is
still good except the ring has a few chips here and there. For those
of you skilled in this area you can buy a new ring, balance and weld
it onto the plate. The plate other than that is in good condition, it
would probly need to be powdercoated to get rid of surface rust, but
all in all it is very strong. I am thinking of a price around $100 +
shipping, but make me an offer and ill see what i can do. It is
located in Canada but i will ship it out of Detroit to save on border
costs and whatnot. Less headaches right? I have pictures, i dont know
how to post them so email me and ill send them to you.

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 02:43:10 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Coolant Coming Out

You may have too much coolant in the car.  The overflow bottle should
only be half full.  Do you have an air bleeder kit hooked up to your
waterpump?  Also the small top radiator hose on the passenger side may
need to be "burped" to let any extra air out.  Just loosen the clamp
and pull the hose off until the air stops and coolant comes out,
warning it will spurt at you, so safety glasses are a must.  Warning #2
if you have the original radiator be very careful, the tank sides are
made of plastic.

Bernie

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:49:58 -0600
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Idle mixture screw

You could have hard-to-start issues when it is hot outside and the car
isn't...
that was my issue for the last two years running.
But that smog check is coming soon, so I may have to tweak it down to pass.
Plus, I get some nasty smells out when I engine brake... I don't like that.

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:51:10 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I suspect you are correct about the clogged air filter but another
possability is the Lambda is not working and a dreaded PO or his
mechanic turned the mixture screw richer to compensate. Before you
even open the engine cover, if you don't hear the frequency valve then
you have to get the Lambda going! Also common is a bad Control
Pressure Regulator. It can wreck the warm-up cycle. Other things to
look at are the mechanical AND vacuum advance, bad ignition wires, and
worn spark plugs.

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:45:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Why I love David Teitelbaum's posts

I say it is not accurate because of the diameter of the tires (you
could have worn or different size tires on the car) it is hard to read
the exact RPM, if you are between RPM's you have to interpolate, etc.
I have mine laying on the ledge right in front of the clear lense in
the front of the binnicle so if the speedometer should fail all I have
to do is pick it up and lay it against the clear lense so I can see
it. I laminated mine so it lays flat and won't blow away. I did not
realize you said you were not in your car. I find driving the Delorean
I always feel I am going faster than I really am. My daily driver is a
Tahoe so I am more used to being up higher than the Delorean. The
lower you are the faster you seem to go. Anyway, even a speedometer is
not "accurate", they have a + - tolerance of 5% which can be a lot. My
point is at least it is something. If you happen to have a police car
folowing you the logical thing to do would be to err on the low side
so if the limit is 55 you might aim for 50, that is what I mean
"keeping you out of trouble". If you are on a busy road and keeping up
with traffic it is not the same as being the only car on an empty road
and running into a radar trap and not having any idea how fast you are
going. As for the speedometer failing commonly, I wonder how many fail
because of lack of lubrication, missing support bracket for the lower
cable, and parts getting stuck in the speedometer mechanism. Some cars
never have any problems and some eat angle drives regularly. GPS is
nice but it can be just another distraction like cell phones and the
way I see it today's driver has too many distractions. I can always
tell when the driver ahead of me is on a cell phone, they can't stay
in their lane!

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 03:56:50 -0000
From: "Cliff Wallace" <thereddog_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Sounds like either your cap is not on firmly or needs to be replaced.
Pressure is escaping from your coolant bottle causing your anti-freeze
to come out of the overflow tube.
I had the same problem with my "D" and ordered a cap from DMC Houston
and corrected the problem.  It was a quick $5 fix.

For your question before this--I believe the DeLorean holds around 2.9
gallons of coolant, but make sure you mix distilled water (not tap)
and coolant 50/50.  Your owners manual, if you have one, will mention
this.

Cliff

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:25:35 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Tux - The cooling system capacity is 2.9 gallons (from dry to
full).  The level in the coolant fill tank should be about 2 inches
below the top, to allow for thermal expansion of the coolant.  If
you fill the coolant fill tank to the top, it will expel as much as
it needs to to get back to a point where it has room to expand. Of
course, you may want to consider replacing the cap if it is
releasing pressure early.  It should hold 15 PSI pressure.  If it is
old or weak, that can lead to coolant loss from the overflow.
Assuming you have no air in the system (using a self-bleeder or
having a properly bled system), a good cap, and no active leaks or
sources of coolant loss other than out of the overflow tube, you
need to just relax, let it find its level, and leave it alone.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:27:57 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

A cap that needs replacement. They do wear out and as they do they open at
lower than normal pressure. Sometimes as low as just a few pounds. If your
temp gauge is reading normal temps, replace the cap and try again.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:29:50 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I took a look at the chart thinking maybe I could use some white rub-
on numerals over my tach to build myself a cool little speedometer
backup

If I use THAT chart as a speedometer and a big ol' atlas for
navigatin', I'll surely wreck my car rear-ending someone while
trying to read 'em.  GPS is cheaper.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 04:16:16 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I had Delorean Motor Center check and adjust the mixture and timing
so I know its not that. I plan on installing:

New O2 sensor
New cap and rotor
New plugs and wires
New Cat

Asside from all of this I cant think of what else the problem might
be. The car is WAY overdue for a tuneup. Hopefully that is the
primary issue.

Nathan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_c...>
wrote:

> what did you do differently?  what did you change?
>
> Darkstar

Behalf

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:37:27 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

It is an interesting chart. The ranges are wider than I thought.

Gas mileage aside, seems like I can start out in first, switch to
third and never even use the other gears until I'm driving too fast
for my own good. Sure saves lots of shifting.  :)

Seriously, anyone complaining about lack of power in their DeLorean
can probably just train themselves to stay in lower gears longer and
have plenty of pickup when they need it without downshifting. Maybe
I'll just tell myself it's a 4-speed.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:22:02 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Strange request for DCS

The dollar stores are the way to , I know Wal-Mart has pretty decent ones
for about $2 each, but finding 100 of them in one store isn't going to
happen.
You might need to do something else, like just pasting them to boards, or
maybe getting
cheap poster frames and bunching them together.
- VB

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 02:26:06 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Your car is overheating, which is forcing the coolant out of the overflow valve
in the radiator cap.  What does your temperature gage read normally?

There are several reasons for overheating.  First is that your system is
not airtight.  Your coolant system should hold 15lbs of pressure for at
least 15 minutes.  You test this with a pressure tester, which is an air pump
that replaces your coolant bottle cap.  You also need to test your cap to
ensure that it stays closed until it sees 15lbs.  Most coolant pressure
testers have a fitting that allows you to attach the cap to the pump.

The second reason for overheating is not bleeding the system properly.  The
DeLorean is susceptible to air pockets in the coolant system, which can
superheat and expand, forcing coolant out of the overflow valve.

Third is that your thermostat is not opening at the appropriate temperature
or not opening at all.  You can at least check to see if it is opening at all by
warming the car up and feeling the hoses up by the radiator.  If they stay
cool, your thermostat could be stuck closed.

The final reason for overheating is that your water pump has failed.  This
has a similar symptom of  a stuck thermostat.  It is usually accompanied
by a lot of squealing as the belt tries to turn a siezed pump or the bearings
are screaming out as they fail.

-------------- Original message from "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>: --------------