From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:14 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3027

From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: doki_pen <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Dan Harris" <whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. RE: Eibach springs/shock set
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

11. Re: Eibach springs/shock set
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

12. Re: For Sale: DeLorean Literature
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

13. RE: Failed emmissions AGAIN
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Re: Re: James C. Personett -- found, or here I am!
From: jim personett <jimpersonett_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. RE: Re: Coolant Coming Out
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

16. Bad Cat?
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. RE: DCS Fun fact update
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. 2006 Gullwing Calendar
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

19. Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

20. Re: Coolant Coming Out
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Eibach springs/shock set
From: "Christophe Vieira" <chris_delorean_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:30:58 +0100 (MET)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Coolant Coming Out

Hi tuxr or whatever your name is, are you seriously driving around with a car that needs a gallon of coolant every day ?

You must be kidding !
When one gallon is missing, your heater wouldn't work anymore and the car would blow its cylinder head gaskets. Well - if they aren't already blown.
And if you have a regular leak - just look under the car, you can't miss it.
Is the coolant cap ok ? the rubber seal ?
It doesn't really matter where you lose it, but if you need a gallon a day, just watch the car and you can see the problem.
It is more or less screaming for help !

Elvis (my real name) & 6548

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 02:50:19 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN

I know the mixture and timing are correct because I allready took the car to Garden Grove.  There must be something else wrong with the car and I can not afford the $800 or so dollars in labor it would cost to have a proper mechanic do it.  Plus I bought the car as a hobby, I enjoy pain I guess...

I will be replacing:

Cap and rotor
Plugs/wires
O2 sensor
Cat
Oil Change
Adjust my noisy valve on the left side of the motor.  (Dolorean Motor Center confirmed that it is indeed a valve and not the exhaust gasket)

Any other ideas?

Nathan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Darkstar"

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:31:48 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Idle mixture screw

Vin4258,
The adjustment could have been far out to begin with.
Normally I adjust counter clock very little with the car hot and the 02 sensor unplugged until the car starts to shutter as if your chocking it down on gas and then clock back up till it smoothes out. Again normally the adjustment should be very little. Then plug the 02 back in and it should idle smooth.
Any question, your welcome to call.

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:32:45 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

Its normal for the expansion tank to be only half full. As the car warms it uses this air space for the coolant to expand into. If the expansion bottle is full the coolant will be pushed out of the overflow. When the car cools overnight the cap will allow air back into the tank.

Dave Sontos

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 13:26:37 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Could be:
1. A bad seal and the coolant is seeping into the engine. Check the look/quality of your oil. Possible, but not likely.
2. A slow leak when hot. Rubber expands and softens when hot. You won't detect a pinhole cracks/leak when cold and contracted. In the past I have used an ultra-violet additive, and found leaks with the help of a blacklight after bringing the car to running temp and checking.
3. Are you bleeding the system after each refill? If not, you may be overheating and loosing it daily. Do you smell any vaporized coolant?

Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 23:08:57 -0800 (PST)
From: doki_pen <doki_pen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Eibach springs/shock set

My question regarding the Eibach suspension is, does it make the ride rougher over broken concrete and unevenpavement type surfaces?  I have the original suspension in my car, and am looking for a proper way to bring the front end down to where it should be,  this seems like the way to go.

Thank you all, very much appreciated.

Jon

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:14:40 -0000
From: "Dan Harris" <whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Used Fascias & Sunshade For Sale

My car is currently in at DMC Florida for some cosmetic upgrades, and among other things, I've decided to completely replace the existing fascias and rear sunshade with brand new NOS parts rather than redoing the old ones again.  They're really not that bad, I just want them to be as perfect as they can be before I go up to Pheasant Run next year.  Anyway, the old ones are available if anyone wants them, make me a decent offer and I'd rather sell them directly to someone else here in our own little online community than bother with e- baying them if possible.

The fascias are both in good shape overall with no dents, gashes, or cracks in the underlying plastic, and only a slight eyebrow on the passenger side front one.  They have been amateur-repainted twice by myself with canned Krylon smoke grey spray (some drips noticable on the back, and some painted-over flaking on the front) but they should both strip down and refinish up great.
The rear is original to my early 81 from the factory, and the front was replaced with NOS from DMC about 10 or 12 years ago after a minor collision.  The sunshade is original to the car, and was repainted with Krylon flat black about three years ago, and still has good dark coloring, but a slightly rough paint surface in some places.  The sunshade took a slight hit during Hurricane Wilma, and now has one cracked virtical support spar at the top center, but the fiberglass material is still all there, and should be easy to secure with adhesive and then sand & paint over to an almost invisible repair.
The parts are located at DMC Florida in Bonita Springs, and if you can pick them up there in person, there'd of course be so shipping, otherwise, I'd expect you to cover shipping from there to your location, in addition to your offered price.

I'd like to get these
parts sold ASAP, as I am due to pick up the finished car on 22 or 23 December, just over a week from now, and do not have any suitable means to transport or store them once they are off the car, and I'd really not expect DMC Florida to be able to store them for me.
Please e-mail me off the list at whocruiser(at)aol(dot)com or phone me at either 954-486-3104 (home) or 954-232-3448 (cell) for any further info and/or to bargain on prices.  I will be traveling on vacation from Sat 17 Dec - Thu 22 Dec, but will check in on phone & e- mail messages as my schedule permits.

Also, please note that I have
previously offered first refusal on the fascias last week to Ken Koncelik for repainting, but have not yet gotten an offered price back from him - Ken, if you're still interested, let me know privately.

I have pictures of the fascias that I took for Ken before I dropped the car with DMC Florida, and have posted them in the DMC News files section under the file name Fascias_Whocruiser.zip.  I don't have pics of the sunshade, as I only decided to replace it after already bringing the car into the shop, but the damage is minor and easily repairable.  I know somebody out there doing their own restoration can give my old parts a new life on their car, let's get together an save you some money while I pay off a bit of my own restoration bills.

Dan Harris - VIN# 1662 - FL Tag# MY 81DMC

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 07:30:13 -0000
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Unique DeLorean castings

The purchaser has had their eBay account suspended and as there has been no contact I am forced to re-list this DeLorean item if you are interested.

 6994868518

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem
<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6994868518>
&item=6994868518

Regards,

Chris H.

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:26:30 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Having both the DMCH and the Mid-States (Marty Maier) setup on my cars, I can say that the Eibach setup is definitely much smoother than the stock 25-year-old Girlings, but the Mid-states is a bit softer. Depends on what you like and where you live. Handling is better on the DMCH, but there's always a trade-off between handling and bad-road-comfort.

Dave Swingle

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:30:49 -0600
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

I had the Eibach set up installed last year by DMCH.   I haven't noticed
that the car rides any rougher than it did originally, but there is no question that a) the car looks much better with the height lowered a tad and
b) it handles like its on rails (to overuse a cliché).  I approve wholeheartedly.

KermitP.

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:12:53 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

IMO, if you're running original 25-yr old shocks and springs, you will see a definite improvement not only in handling, but also in ride quality. Unlike some shocks, when original DeLorean shocks get old, they don't get soft, they get hard - very hard. That's why so many DeLoreans ride like trucks.

Interestingly, while all customers agree that the handling performance is greatly improved with the shock/spring setup, some US-customers have mentioned that the ride seems too firm. On the other hand, some European customers feel that the ride is not firm enough!

Also, after a brief period of unavailability, complete shock/spring kits are now available from DMC (Texas) or the other full-service vendors.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:44:03 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: For Sale: DeLorean Literature

If they could email me as well, I need an original 81 owners manual with the spiral binding.  Since there were 7 in that lot, I hope they will let me purchase one.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:56:49 -0700
From: "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_comcast.net>

let us know the results after that is done.. I would suggest doing a
pre-test first.

DarkStar

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 08:50:42 -0800 (PST)
From: jim personett <jimpersonett_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: James C. Personett -- found, or here I am!

James,  you Delorean owners are a resilient bunch!  My DMC had to be a *Monday morning* edition; my odometer cable also went within 25,000mi. Mechanic told me cable was too long and had been twisted into a knot to make it fit. But thats farther than the original tires got. Car left Ireland without wheels aligned and after cross country trip home&back discovered the tires were shot.  But at least my early edition (#1914) had a seperate door for gas tank filler :-)  .  Love/hate relationship ended after 5 yrs without the love part, got tired of bailing out 1 - 2 cups of water every time it rained, despite the liberal application of black silicon caulking by me all around the upper door jams and elsewhere.  Great engine, though.  Been fun reading the posts here!
  jim

James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com> wrote:
  I bought that rear quarter from you,

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:28:12 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Coolant Coming Out

I suspect the problem is that you are not properly bleeding the system.
I had the same problem early on when I underestimated the bleeding
process.  When air is trapped in the system it expands at a much higher
rate than the water.  Therefore, if (when) you have a bubble of air at
the water pump or the radiator it will swell to many times it original
volume as the system heats up, forcing out a gallon or so of water. You
shut off the car, let the system cool, add a gallon of 50/50, form a new
bubble, and start all over again.

Short term you need to bleed the system at both the thermostat housing
and at the small hose at the top passenger side of the radiator and get
the air out.  Be very careful with that radiator hose if you still have
a plastic tank radiator - the barb where the hose connects to the
radiator was fragile 25 years ago, guess how it holds up now.  Make sure
to fill the system with 50/50 - even if your spewing a gallon a day you
have to use the right stuff.  Bleed it properly and you probably won't
spew.

Even with bleeding its helpful to squeeze the large hoses in the engine
compartment to help work out the bubbles faster.

That done, order a new cap for your coolant bottle, and bleeder kits for
both the thermostat and the radiator.  All in all you will spend less
than you have been spending on Prestone the last week, and your problem
should go away.

Everybody has the thermostat bleeder kit and radiator caps,  as far as I
know only Toby at Delorean-Parts.com also has the radiator bleed kit.
Be sure to confirm with your vendor which coolant bottle you have when
you order the cap, is it plastic (original and needs to be upgraded or
you will be buying more Prestone soon), it could be Stainless, aluminum,
or a European bottle which I think is steel but finished black.  My
Aluminum bottle does not use the original cap, so make sure.

Keep cool.

Tom
10902

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:35:30 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Bad Cat?

I pulled my Cat today, lookied inside and there is a screen but I can
shine light through from one side to the other.  I admit I do not know
much about them other than there is platinum inside them. I am pretty
sure this is the original that came with the car. Is there any way to
tell if it is bad by looking at it?

Nathan

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:45:43 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: DCS Fun fact update

I can't wait! The upcoming show should be the best to date. It seems to be
building.

Good work Ken, and "Happy Holidays" to all!

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:42:16 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: 2006 Gullwing Calendar

The 2006 Gullwing Calendar in now available.

Those of you that submitted pictures that were used have already been
sent your free copy.

To order send $15.00 (check or money order) to:

Gullwing Magazine
P.O. Box 991
St. Peters, MO  63376

or use PayPal and direct the funds to gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com

Thank you,

Ron
gullwingmagazine.com
gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:47:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

You might also consider having the injectors cleaned and tested. I
would not condemn the catalytic convertor so quickly. They can take a
lot of abuse.

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:44:56 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Another possabilty which has not been mentioned is you could have a
blown head gasket. In such a case even a perfectly good radiator cap
will allow the coolant out along with the excess pressure from the
combustion gases. Simple to test for. A car which is losing that much
coolant should not be driven. You will damage the seal in the water
pump if you haven't already and you are taking a BIG chance of
overheating the motor and if you haven't popped the head gaskets
eventually you will. Any leak that is losing that much coolant
shouldn't be hard to find.

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:36:30 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Sorry for my ignorance, where could I get a pre test done?

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:16:06 -0000
From: "Christophe Vieira" <chris_delorean_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hello,

I installed on my car DMCH Eibach spring and PJ Grady perfo shocks.
I use to drive fast and handling is really great with this setup and
yes, it could be better if ride was a little more firm. We do not use
to drive "barge" in Europe. ;-)

The only "bad" point about Eibach spring is that the front is still a
little too hight on my car.

You can see the result here :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/delorean/vin04271-640x480/vin04271-0482.jpg

Best regards from France,

Chris.
#04271.

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:34:15 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> I know the mixture and timing are correct because I allready took
> the car to Garden Grove.  There must be something else wrong
> with the car and I can not afford the $800 or so dollars in labor it
> would cost to have a proper mechanic do it.  Plus I bought the
> car as a hobby, I enjoy pain I guess...
<SNIP>

> Any other ideas?
>
> Nathan