From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 6:18 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3030

1. Re: Water Pump Style
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

2. Re: Trans problem-voilent shake
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>

3. Re: Trans problem-voilent shake
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:41:28 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: Water Pump Style

Dave - I am obviously a little bit biased regarding this topic, but I'll have a go at it.  The press-on pulleys rely on interference fit between the pulley and the water pump shaft to stay in position, and transmit the torque from the pulley into the pump.  If the fit is just a little loose (by just a few ten thousandth's of an inch), the pulley can drift fore and aft on the shaft (affecting belt alignment), or slip on the shaft (affecting pump performance).  Either of these scenarios, if left unattended, will result in wear on the shaft and eventual failure of the pump.  This sensitivity of the fit between the parts is the main problem with the pressed-on pulley arrangement.  Again, this is all my opinion.  The bolt-on pulleys do not have this requirement for an interference fit.  The torque is transmitted in shear through the four attachment bolts, which is a very efficient way to transmit torque.  Our bolt-on pulleys happen to also be works of automotive art (a glistening jewel in the engine compartment).  Our waterpumps (with the bolt-on pulley) come with a lifetime warranty.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:05:52 -0500
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>
Subject: Re: Trans problem-voilent shake

I had a similar problem, though I would only get the shuddering once in a while. Turns out the input shaft on the transmission was leaking and the gear oil was getting on the clutch.

I would almost say this can't be your problem because you can start out in 2nd ok, except I noticed whether or not my car would shake depended a lot on the kind of load I was putting on the clutch. More or less power from the engine while letting out the clutch would make the shaking go away.

- Jason

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:16:19 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

I'd check your tranmission mounting brackets. They're hard to come by
because of a fairly high failure rate but I know Toby has some
secondhand ones. When one side breaks, the whole engine and tranny
wobble on their mounts and if you pull off hard, you may well hear a big
thump as the transmission starts hitting things. Watch your gearstick
too, it'll probably move with the wobble

Martin