From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 8:23 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3034

1. Re: Don't throw away alternators?
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

2. RE: Re: Plastic and Metal Door Guides (was: Door Oddity?)
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

3. RE: Re: Plastic and Metal Door Guides (was: Door Oddity?)
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

4. Odd Temperature Gauge
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: Plastic and Metal Door Guides
From: "Daniel F." <daniel_at_dml_ramblerman.com>

6. Free flow air intake is a joke
From: "Daniel Deutsch" <mroboto_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Re: Plastic and Metal Door Guides (was: Door Oddity?)
From: "Ed Uding" <ed_at_dml_dmc-service.nl>

8. Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Used Fascias & Sunshade For Sale (Now On E-Bay)
From: "Dan Harris" <whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com>

10. RE: Re: Plastic and Metal Door Guides
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

11. Re: Free flow air intake is a joke
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Free flow air intake is a joke
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

13. Re: Odd Temperature Gauge
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Re: Free flow air intake is a joke
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: Re: Plastic and Metal Door Guides
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

16. RE: Re: Free flow air intake is a joke
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. Replacing Delorean Steering Rack
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. post 59781 should be removed until
From: "patmolamphy" <patmolamphy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Paint Codes
From: "Matt Carpenter" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com>

20. Re: Odd Temperature Gauge
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: Free flow air intake is a joke
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Trans problem-violent shake
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

23. Hot Start Solution
From: "Scot Stern" <Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com>

24. RE: Re: Free flow air intake is a joke
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

25. Re: Free flow air intake is a joke
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 04:32:04 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Don't throw away alternators?

All,

I have two original DeLorean alternators, the Ducey which still
works, and a Motorala, which still works, any buyers for a concourse
car out there?  Note they do require some clean up and the bolt that
holds the battery cables to the alternator.  When I replaced them I
had to break the bolt just to get the cables off.  But they are
still in working condition.

Email me off list if your interested.

Vendors, also email off list if you want them for cores, I can
always use some credit with you all.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>
wrote:

> It is usually pretty easy and cheap to repair (rebuild) an
alternator.
> When they go bad not every part is garbage. Also there is the point
> that you may want to keep your car bone-stock or concours perfect.
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_h...>
wrote:

> > Hey David,
> > I am curious why throwing out the old alternator is bad? John
Hervey

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 23:22:07 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Plastic and Metal Door Guides (was: Door Oddity?)

10902 - metal...

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 23:35:23 -0500
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

Someone mentioned early cars not having these guides at all.  When were they
supposedly started?  My car, 909, has the metal guides and I looked at
another car in the low 1000 range that was missing these.

Greg

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:34:45 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Odd Temperature Gauge

I've generated some recent questions on the AZ-D message board about
whether my car is running too cold during the winter.  If the car is
moving, the gauge sits around 1/8.  If in heavy traffic, the gauge
slowly gets to the 1/4 mark and the fans kick in.

At first glance the 1/4 mark lies halfway between 100 and 220, or 160.
At 1/8, my car would be running around 130.  Brr!  Otterstat kicks in
early too.

But AZ-D members with other temp measuring equipment assure me their
cars are similar on the standard gauge but run properly in the 185-
200 degree range.  First thoughts were that the D gauge is inaccurate.

With the top part of the scale spanning only 40 degrees, the gauge
certainly appears to very non-linear.

Our latest speculation is that the gauge IS actually linear and has a
silly label at the low end of the scale.

In other words, the gauge may span only 90 degrees, not 160, and the
needle may not move much until temps are 180, leaving the remaining
marks evenly spaced at about 200 (1/4), 220, 240 (3/4) and 260.

Has anyone measured when the needle actually starts moving at the low
end?

Thanks,
Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:37:31 -0700
From: "Daniel F." <daniel_at_dml_ramblerman.com>
Subject: Re: Plastic and Metal Door Guides

This is quite fascinating. To me, this makes your car and 10911
(which I believe is Ken Montgomery's car) and all in between
more historically interesting. You learn something new everyday,
and for me, today I learned that plastic door guides were used
very briefly in the Dec. '81 cars!

Not meaning to beat the proverbial dead horse, but as I asked
previously, does anyone know if the mounting holes for the metal
guides are still under the plastic guides, or are the doors with the
plastic guides actually different as I have been told for years??

Daniel
VIN 10920
AZ-D.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:00:34 +0000 GMT
From: "Daniel Deutsch" <mroboto_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Free flow air intake is a joke

Regarding the Hervey Free flow air intake:
I bought it, and it does not fit properly. I don't recommend it. In fact, the first one he sent was 1/2" too tall to be able to close the engine cover! He sent a replacement, but it does not fit the air intake well enough to prevent debris from entering the engine. It stayed on my car for an hour before I removed it.

Another concern that I have, buying products from a fly by night vendor selling from his house, what if the product damages your car? Does the vendor carry product liabilty insurance? Will they still be there if your engine blows, or catches fire as a result of their product?

Daniel Deutsch
15779 & 3356

Daniel Deutsch
(407) 222-4721

Sent from my Blackberry wireless.
 PLEASE REPLY ALL EMAILS TO:
Mroboto_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:31:14 -0000
From: "Ed Uding" <ed_at_dml_dmc-service.nl>

Hi all

The story is not compleet, VIn 00529 has plastic door Guides and vin
11626 to. The story about the VIN 00529 in far from compleet, but some
history I no is. The car was never in the US and was sold to Germany.
It has a flat hood, with no signs in the grill or hood.
The interior has some nice and strange parts like a very special VIN
plate on the dash and nothing in the door. The cover of the glovebox
has no lock and is 100% flat. And I found 1 door how was put 500 times
in the car to train the factory workers.
The photo is on the website www.dmc-service.nl see under Latest news:
and more.

Regards Ed Uding
www.dmc-service.nl

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:46:11 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Failed emmissions AGAIN

The ping is the result of a premature burn in the combustion chamber.
Either too rapid or started too early. Modern car technology can
compensate for this with knock sensors. Performance can be
significantly affected by ping and/or sensor compensation. Octane is
the means of dealing with this in engines and different octanes are
recommended across varying performance types. The higher octane equals
less chance of ping or knock. The ping is noticed at the higher
compression demands of the engine, i.e. higher throttle openings, and
especially WOT.

I have found that with age, my DeLorean engine has developed a ping
around 3-4,000 RPM under WOT using "regular" gas (87). I have traced
the issue to what I believe to be the spring on the spark advance
weights in the distributor (I have clean intake valves and no carbon
buildup). I figure the spring is weakening over the years (50,000
miles when I noticed it)and giving me premature advance as the timing
light shows the advance slightly out of spec. I found the premium gas
stopped the ping and have observed no other performance issues. So, I
have not bothered with the weight spring and the cost of gas, given
the limited miles I drive, is not an issue.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:13:54 -0000
From: "Dan Harris" <whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Used Fascias & Sunshade For Sale (Now On E-Bay)

Hi everyone -

I had a few interested people contact me on the front & rear fascias
and the sunshade that I offered here on the Yahoo Groups list last
week, but no firm offers, so they are now up on e-bay, with opening
minimum bid prices of $99 each and no reserve.  I want to sell them
quickly and need to ship them before Christmas, so these are only 3
day auctions - act now and you could get a good bargain.  Here are
the item numbers and e-bay page links for each:

Front Fascia:  item # 4598720122
               http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-2357-0?
uid=758765&site=0&ver=LCA080805&item=4598720112&lk=URL

Rear Fascia:   item # 4598720699
               http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-2357-0?
uid=758765&site=0&ver=LCA080805&item=4598720699&lk=URL

Sunshade:      item # 4598721446
               http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-2357-0?
uid=758765&site=0&ver=LCA080805&item=4598721446&lk=URL

Good luck to any bidders out there, and may they all find good homes
in the rebuilding of someones car!

Dan Harris - VIN # 1662 - FL Tag # MY 81DMC

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:16:53 -0500
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Plastic and Metal Door Guides

Dan & the D.J.'s,

I can't believe the amount of interest this thread has generated. It appears
to be the week's hottest topic! I don't have enough time right now to post
my observations on the subject but if anyone is still interested I have a
lot of info and some direct answers on this subject. Let me know privately
if the D.J.'s (Delorean Junkies:) you know who you are!) out there crave
more fun facts and I'll put something together for the list when time
permits.

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

Marv Hein wrote:

>Daniel,
>
>Other owners have been emailing me.
>
>10757 metal
>10820 (mine) plastic.
>10911 plastic.
>10920 (yours) metal
>10987 metal
>10989 metal
>
>Looks like they ran out a few cars ahead of you until more arrived in
January.

>Marv
>#10820

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:03:40 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Free flow air intake is a joke

Hmmm...

I am new here but John has been an extremely valuable resource in
learning the quirks about these cars.  I am quite sure that if you
had contacted him about your concerns off list he would have either
refunded your money or worked with you until a solution was found. I
don't know why you would post here for everyone to see rather than
taking care of the matter privately.

Nathan Sobieralski
2277

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Deutsch" <mroboto_at_dml_a...>

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:15:26 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

There's also the fact that running a delorean engine with no air box
whatsoever gains less than 1hp total output compared to a new clean
original filter in the original air box. This was verifed sometime ago
on a dyno test. You'd gain the same power by turning the blower motor off.

The ones that Casey did ages ago look nice, but I don't think you can
label them "performance".

Martin
#1458 & #4426

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:11:26 -0800
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Odd Temperature Gauge

My D used to behave the same way. Only sitting in traffic would the needle
pass the 1/4 mark. When I replaced the water pump and thermostat, the
needle would then go to the 1/4 mark and stay there. This confirmed that my
old thermostat was sticking open since the temperature gauge was untouched.

You can check for a stuck thermostat by starting the car when it's cold and
turning on the heater. When the air starts to get warm, the coolant inside
the engine block is now warm. Turn the car off and check the radiator.
Before I replaced the thermostat, it would be slightly warm too. After I
replaced the thermostat, it was cold.

I also discovered this is why I failed my first emissions test. The car
couldn't get up to full operating temperature before I took my first test.
The second time I had to wait in line and temp rose to the 1/4 mark and passed.

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:23:00 EST
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Daniel.. I have no idea as to what your agenda is but I'll vouch for John
Hervey.  I have the same free flow air intake that you speak so badly  about and
I had no trouble at all fitting it in.  It works fine and I have  no trouble
with it.  I've bought all sorts of electronic updates and such  from John and
they work perfectly.  You state that he is a "fly by night  vendor" simply
because he sells from his home, or a workshop attached to his  home.  By your
definition Bill Gates or Steve Jobs would be fly-by night  when they started out.
Why create un necessary overhead to drive prices  up?  I'll give you a good
example of why John is a go to guy.  A half  shaft on my D bound up.  The
choices I had was to buy a new one from an  "established" vendor ($ 600 +/-) or a
rebuild from John for about half that if  mine could not be rebuilt.  He sent
the rebuilt quickly to me and I sent  back to him the old one.  He called me a
week or so latter to give me the  "bad news" that mine was rebuild able and
the total transaction cost me  $140.00.  Hmm.. $600 vs $140... kinda wonder why
I would spend $460  extra?
    How about an established vendor who sold me an air  conditioning
compressor and dryer?  25 year old stock that failed after a  few weeks (Compressor)
and a dryer that was not correct for my vin D.   Still have not received a cent
back.  John had what I needed for much less  than half the price and brand
new.  Works excellent.  I've bought from  "established vendors" and generally
have been very happy with the stuff I bought  and I simply stopped buying from
the one who ripped me off.
    Rubber products.. Would you agree that rubber  deteriorates over a period
of time?  Most of John's rubber products are  brand new and fit perfectly.
25 year old stock or new?

No agenda here, as I buy from all but one.

Roy

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:35:58 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

I'll admit that I don't really know if this is true, but here is my theory
(please correct me if this is wrong):

I'm not sure that the mounting holes were even placed in the doors until it
was time to install the guides.  I had to drill the holes in my door using
the guide as a template.  I also believe that any version of the guides will
fit any door.  It's just that the mounting holes would be in different
spots.  In other words, if a car has never had guides, any new installation
should fit.  I had to put guides on 1063 when my passengers began having
trouble closing the door because they tended to "flex" the door a little
while closing (I guess closing gullwings is unorthodox to them... go
figure!).

By the way, I think the guides on my car came from the "crash" portion of
Bernie's "crash and burn."

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:27:03 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Free flow air intake is a joke

Nathan & Roy, Thanks very much but some people hide behind the internet and
email to vent and raise their level of insecurity. Don't worry about it. His
problem may have been a simple O ring that was left out of the kit that
takes up the extra space. You can't have metal to metal fit air tight.
I don't remember getting a call or email about fixing it which can be done
very easy. I won't even comment about the other statement.

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:23:29 -0800 (PST)
From: mike p <cambpd_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Replacing Delorean Steering Rack

Hi All,
  Can anyone please tell me the steps involved in replacing the STEERING  RACK on a Delorean?  Mine is shot, even thought the person who  sold me the car said it only had 40K miles on it!

  How difficult a job is a steering rack replacement, easy, medium  difficulty, very difficult?  Can it be done standing the car on  ramps?, on jacks?   Can it be replaced discretely without  having to replace anything else?  Will the front end need  alignment afterwards.

  Thank you for any advice!

  Sincerely,

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:02:45 -0000
From: "patmolamphy" <patmolamphy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: post 59781 should be removed until

John H. has an opportunity to tell his side of a story, and this
should be the policy of the group when one wants to vent a negative
experience to the board.  It's only fair to give the other party a
chance to respond.

I have only recently started buying from John, have found him to be
both honest and reliable.

Pat Molamphy

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:45:46 -0700
From: "Matt Carpenter" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Paint Codes

Anyone have the gray fascia and black engine cover paint codes handy?  I
haven't found a clear source in the DML archives.

Thanks,

Matt Carpenter
5586
AZ-D.ORG

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:33:14 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

This would confirm my suspicions. I hope you're wrong because it
doesn't look as easy to change a thermostat on this car as on others
I've changed.

Interesting also that it also took me two tries to pass my emissions
test. The car spent awhile idling at the second shop while the guy
tried to find DeLorean in his system and it passed easily.

Running extra cold might be the only thing that lets me get around
here in Vegas in the Summer... it buys me some travel time. So
getting it right for Winter might take its toll later.  As long as I
stay in heavy traffic in the Winter, the car won't really run cold
much. What to do, what to do...

I guess the answer might lie in what temperature that 1/8 mark really
represents.

Marv
#10820

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:39:13 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I don't have the free flow intake so I can't comment on that, but I
will also vouch for John.

I'll drop him a question by email and he'll call me with an answer or
leave a detailed voice message, way above what I would expect.  If I
still can't figure it out, I get a digital photo.

I don't buy exclusively from SpecialT either, but he certainly gets a
large share of my business. The parts I've received from John have been
prompt, right and cost effective.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:29:52 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Trans problem-violent shake

Rob-new or reconditioned?-you tell me, I got the clutch disc from you
(along with other misc. transmission gaskets/parts) and I'm not quite
sure if it was new or reconditioned. I bought and installed a new disc
and pressure plate a little over a year ago. The disc would still be
in there but when my transmission leaked the oil all over the disc,
there was no point in replacing a new pressure plate so I just put in
the new disc from you (Rob). My questions is-why is this suddenly
happening? Why not last month, or the month before (I didn't JUST put
the clutch in and it's just suddenly happening after the work) why
isn't it happening in reverse or second gear and why is my pedal
height the same... These were all reasons I didn't think of the clutch
as a problem. Can a reconditioned clutch have such a short life? I'd
understand if I was racing around burning the clutch all the time
(even then it should last a long time) but that's hardly the case for
me-the hardest it's seens is now when I have to start in second
instead of first. My flywheel seems to be fine, not worn and had no
scoring so I didn't se a reason to get it cut. -----dani

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, <rob_at_dml_p...> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I agree with your assessment that it's probably the clutch.
Chattering is

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:04:39 -0000
From: "Scot Stern" <Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Hot Start Solution

OK, I have owned my Delorean for well over 10 years and it now has
12,200 miles on it.  I really like the car but I have spent way more
than I should have on the proverbial "hot start" problem.

I took the car to Garden Grove from San Diego no less than 5 times
with the exact same problem.  I spent well over $4,000 on the hot
start problem and changed the accumulator, various fuel components
and even the fuel distributor and still, I have a hot start problem.

About the only thing that has not been changed are the fuel injectors
and I assuming now that this is probably the culprit.  At this point,
I am afraid to drive the car as once I drive it, and if I let it sit
for more than 30 minutes, it will not restart.

Today, I purchased a $1.13 part.  I bought a momentary switch and I
shall wire it as per the instructions contained in several of the
posts to a spot under the left side of my dash.  Hopefully,
this "modification" will work and I will once again have a dependable
car.

The instructions are well done and the connector in the fuse
compartment was easy to find.  This "mod" should have been either
automated by the factory or included as a standard accessory on all
Deloreans.

I know you are going to say to take it to a vendor and have them fix
it and my response is that I have, at least 5 times and all that I
get is a bill and no solution to this annoying design problem.

The car is wonderful and I am not a "newbie" to the ownership
experience, but this particular issue is clearly a design flaw that
prevents this automobile from being a reliable product.

Any thoughts?

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:53:27 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

Daniel:

On first reading your post I rolled my eyes and though here we go again.
Flame on.

Now, lot of the information in your post was helpful - you tried two
different intakes, the first seemed to be out of manufacturing tolerance and
the second had a bad seal. You were not happy with either. OK - fine.  Now
you don't say that John refunded your money, and I can only assume he did
because as angry as you are you would have thrown that in too if it hadn't
happened.

But we all get angry from time to time - just like Daniel clearly is, and we
don't always have the presence of mind to be fair in what we write.

In the end - I'll probably send a nastygram out like this sooner or later
too, but - I hope that the moderator intercepts it and returns it to me,
asking me to add some of the details I've obviously left out and to try to
keep the email helpful and informative - not vindictive.

The only net effect of all this is misinformation.  I respect that you
choose not to do business again with John.  But this forum is for sharing
information and ideas - not flaming.

Maybe we need a separate forum for vendor and product feedback, similar to
what eBay does with feedback.  I'd love a forum where I could search either
a vendor, or a specific product and find out if there are ongoing
differences in services and products from one vendor to another.  Search for
radiator and see who sells ones that make the most people happy.  That would
be a lot of work and I'll be the first to say that I have neither the time
nor the expertise to create it, but I'd sure as heck use it.

Tom

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:42:35 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

***Moderator's note***  While it's perfectly acceptable to discuss positive and negative business experiences with all the vendors, let's keep things factual and avoid the flames and personal attacks or we'll have to cut the thread short.

My two cents, I've bought a few things from John and they were
great.  I've generally bought from PJ Grady and DMCH with great
results.  But what's the story on one of the vendors out there,
where you have to "explain" what happened to the original part, with
the implication in the tone that either I'm lying about needing the
part or I must have somehow mistreated "their" car, and that maybe I
shouldn't buy a part from them if I'm not going to treat it right,
and somehow it's a privelege to buy their overpriced part?  Or maybe
I'm the only one this has happened to?