From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 2:49 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3041

1. Reproduction tires needed! Re: Front Tires still needed
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Another DeLorean giveaway in 2006
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

3. Canadian Deloreans
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 00:07:06 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Reproduction tires needed! Re: Front Tires still needed

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Wallace" <thereddog_at_dml_s...> wrote:

> I'm having a hard time finding a set of front tires for my  Delorean.
> Looking for Goodyear Eagle ST (P195/60/14).  These have been
> discontinued for about 10 years.
> I've also called local Goodyear centers in here in Oklahoma even for a
> decent used set, but nothing. Tire Rack and all of those other online
> stores don't have it either.

I believe tire retailers rotate stock after about 90 days. If it does not sell off the shelf in that time, it's returned to the manufacturers, wholesalers, whoever. No retailer is going to have tires that were discontinued a decade ago still available in their inventory. Not by a long shot.

> I still have the original NCT's on the front.
> They have plenty of tread, but are warped.

If you drive the car, why are you still riding on them? Unless you trailer the car, take them off. You're playing with fire.

> I think the only way I'll find a set is in someone's garage or a place
> that bought them from Goodyear when they consolidated them.
> I'd like to get a matching set for all four since my rear tires are
> the Eagle ST's.  They only have about 3-4K miles on them.  I can still
> see the colored marks on the tread.
> I like them not only because they are raised white letter tires, but
> it's the same brand used on the Delorean in Back to the Future.

That's cute, and neat for shows, but very bad for driving. Again, if you trailer the car to and from shows, okay. Then look for the tires you seek on eBay. Just don't drive on them. This is serious.

If you drive the car, put a new set of tires on it A.S.A.P. The BF Goodrich Radial T/As or the Dunlop GT Qualifiers (made by Goodyear) are very good tires. If you drive the car, but still want the old Goodyears for show, you're going to have to get another set of wheels just for the Goodyears, and you're going to have to swap them out at shows. Expensive, impractical and a hassle, but SAFE. If you think that through you're going to realize it's far from worth the cost and effort. If you're at a DeLorean show with DeLorean owners, then maybe you will see some amount of appreciation for the Goodyears, but if it's any other car show, trust me, NOBODY is going to notice or care at all.

> I've called Coker and Goodyear, but neither can help with it. Coker
> doesn't have the license from Goodyear to remanufacture them. It just
> figures, you can get tires for a car built in 1910, but not 1981.

You're correct, Coker does not reproduce vintage Goodyear tires.
Universal Vintage Tire does. http://www.universaltire.com/ That's who Coker told me to call, so I did. Turns out they only reproduce the old bias ply Goodyears. They told me they have never reproduced any steel belted radial Goodyears. I asked them if they had any plans to, and they told me not at this point in time, and whether that ever happens is up to Goodyear.

-------------------------

With matching sets of performance tires quickly becoming less and less available to fit our cars, and the fact we are hitting the 25 year "vintage", "classic" or whatever you want to call it milestone, perhaps it's time for the DeLorean community to come together an make a concerted effort to inspire Goodyear to allow Universal to reproduce the original NCTs for our cars by showing them there is a market and interest. We were not the only '80s cars that came with NCTs from the factory. I know some Ferraris did as well, and there must be others.
If I could get new reproduction NCTs, I'd buy a set for sure. I feel that's something we should all start thinking about.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:32:24 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Another DeLorean giveaway in 2006

In addition to the DeLorean to be raffled off at the DeLorean Car Show next summer, AllSportsMarket.com has just negotiated the purchase of a pre-owned DeLorean from us to be given away in a Super Bowl promotion now underway.

I'm not sure of the details, as we are just providing them with the car, but they have a site set up at:

http://www.winadelorean.com

I have passed the dmcnews address to my contact at AllSportsMarket (a longtime DeLorean owner/enthusiast himself), and he may make an announcement of his own soon.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 19:35:11 -0500 (EST)
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>
Subject: Canadian Deloreans

Hi again all,

  So just what are the differences in a Canadian Delorean? No fair saying the engine has a special pan for cooking backbacon, eh?

  Seriously... I know they have Metric Speedometers but are there any other differences. I have heard there were 100 made in 83 for the Canadian market. Were other Canadian cars made in 81 and 82?

  I'm brand new to this group so my apologies if this has been dealt with before.

  "Parts Pit" Mike