From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, December 25, 2005 2:39 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3044

1. Re: Reproduction tires needed! Re: Front Tires still needed
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

2. Re: Plug Gaps and final smog numbers
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

3. Re: Fast Car?
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Fast Car?
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Reproduction tires needed! Re: Front Tires still needed
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Front Tires still needed--important info I've researched
From: "Cliff Wallace" <thereddog_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

7. Re: Fast Car?
From: "Daniel F." <daniel_at_dml_ramblerman.com>

8. Re: Plug Gaps and final smog numbers
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Re: Re: Battery for Delorean
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Reproduction tires needed! Re: Front Tires still needed
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Fast Car?
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

12. Re: Fast Car?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. Re:Old Tires
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. before the internet
From: "andy" <andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com>

15. RE: before the internet
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

16. RE: before the internet & another N.Y. Times article
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

17. Spark Plug Problem
From: "Scot Stern" <Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:42:18 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Reproduction tires needed! Re: Front Tires still needed

And therein lies the problem.  I had about a 45 minute debate with a regional sales manager from Yokohama Tires (his region was North America), at the Lotus Owners Gathering in St. Louis this year about producing another run of AVS Intermediates in sizes for the early Esprits and the DeLorean.  I did not get the impression that it was going to happen any time soon, primarily because the market is just too small.  He would or could not quote me a "guaranteed"
number of tires that would need to be sold to make the numbers work, but the impression I got was that pretty much every owner would have to
buy a set within two years to make it worth their while.

Because of this, it's extremely unlikely that more than one manufacturer is going to do a production run for this small of a market, so there won't be any choice.  All performance cars and most passenger cars these days are running larger wheels with lower profile tires.  Our best alternative seems to be larger wheels with the correct offsets in order to get a choice in performance tires.

-------------- Original message from "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:46:33 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Plug Gaps and final smog numbers

Improperly gapped plugs certainly can cause performance and emissions
problems.  When faced with problems like these, it's always best to start
with the basics...

-------------- Original message from "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:21:45 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fast Car?

Usually, the speed question I get is: "How fast does it go?"  I always say,
"I don't know.  The speedometer only goes to 85."

Johnny
5518

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:58:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fast Car?

To add to what has all ready been said...

When I get this question the "askers" are usually talking quarter mile times. I
make sure to tell them in a quarter mile most cars can beat the D because the
lack of HP and the tall gear ratio, but on a curvy road the D (at least mine &
the way i drive :-) will beat most of the cars that will smoke me in the quarter.

To reiterate, the D IS fast but not quick.

Shannon Y
16506

--------------------
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 04:27:43 -0000
   From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

I have people ask me the usual questions I'm sure all of us hear (what
does it cost?  Where do you get parts for it?  Is the flux capacitor
working?  How many engines did GM produce for these?  etc.), but I
don't know the answer to one of them:  "Is it a fast car?"  Seeing
it's 25 years old, I don't drive it "fast" - usually 75 on the
interstate, but never over 80, which means I'm in the center lane.
But assuming it was in perfect shape, and nothing would fall off, is
it considered a fast car?  How fast?  Would it be passed by a Toyota
Pruis?  A mustang?  Corvette?  Had a Lamborghini blow by me today on
the interstate, didn't even think about trying to speed up a little to
check it out.  How does it compare to other cars out there?

Yahoo! DSL  Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:51:39 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 12/23/2005 3:26:30 P.M. Central Standard Time,
djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I'm not  personally not interested in a set of 16"/17" wheels,
otherwise I'd be on  the phone to Foose. I'm happy with factory. I just
want a selection of good  performance tires that fit.

Dan W.
VIN  16192
AZ-D

If we could get our wheels in 16 or 17" sizes, the entire world is wide  open
to performance tires.... that's the whole reason one would want bigger
wheels!!  I for one would be interested in DMC Houston came out with OEM  style
wheels in a bigger size.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 06:34:15 -0000
From: "Cliff Wallace" <thereddog_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Front Tires still needed--important info I've researched

Yes, I plan on keeping the NCT tires.  They're in great cosmetic shape.
Thanks to you guys I've learned quite a bit about tires and have done
more research on them.
You most likely saved my Butt and anyone else in my path!
At ten years or more, the NHTSA recommends replacing tires.  This link
below is a year old, but an expiration date has not been set on any
tires yet.  A tires life mainly depends on weather, maintenance, &
storage.
http://www.poynter.org/dg.lts/id.2/aid.74417/column.htm

Ford is also warning consumers about aging tires.  I see they are the
first U.S. automaker to give a warning. Most likely in light of their
past problem with Firestone which was plastered all over the news over
a year ago. 2006 vehicle manuals will be printed with these warnings.
Ford suggests replacing tires after 6 years.
Another link:
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0505/20/A01-188098.htm

I don't know the exact manufacture date of the Goodyear NCT's since
there's no DOT number.  I can only guess 1980?  But, no matter,
they're over the hill. I just bought my DeLorean this Summer.
I also found out that my Eagle ST's in the rear were manufactured in
1992. They look great, hardly any wear, no cracks or uneven wear, but
as I read all of this information, appearances can be deceiving.

I hope everybody in the group will read this post and click on the
links for some surprising info. Sounds like some of you guys already
know your stuff and I thought I knew enough about tires to stay safe.
Pass it on!

Best Regards and Merry Christmas to all!  Hope no one is traveling on
10 year old tires this holiday!
Cliff
10525

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:00:32 -0700
From: "Daniel F." <daniel_at_dml_ramblerman.com>

Well said, Dan.

I have always told people, that virtually ANY car can go fast, it may
just take a while to get up to that top speed. People always confuse
this. I am constantly asked at car shows if my DeLorean is fast. I
respond that I have had it up to 110 MPH (I know this because I
have installed DMCH's 140 speedo).

My D. will by no means beat my '85 Vette in acceleration, but it does
smoothly accelerate up to any speed I want it to go (so far). Of
course, I do have Electronic Fuel Injection, headers, Dynomax muffler,
different intake, K&N air filter, and an Accel coil - so my results might
be a little skewed. ;-) :-)

Daniel
VIN 10920
AZ-D.org

~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:54:47 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

That's failing I assume at the 15 mph mark? Have you checked the
adjustment on your miro switch? If it is turning off too late you will
not get vacuum advance at the lower RPM and the idle motor is still
trying to function. The specs are in the manual. This is a very
sensative adjustment - too late a turn off - you get just-off-idle poor
performance - too early - no dash-pot effect coming off higher rpms
(the engine wants to die before it levels off to idle).

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:54:29 -0500
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Battery for Delorean

> have to wait until I get her back home, and just get in there and find
> the draw problem.

Just to add a point of information, I had to add a cut-off switch (one
of John Hervey's) since my LockZilla module has a slow drain which was
killing my batteries.   Bob Zilla claims it can't be true, but my car
had a zero amp drain with it disconnected, and with it connected, it
would drain the battery dead in about a week's time.

-Hank

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:14:58 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike.griese_at_dml_w... wrote:

> And therein lies the problem.  I had about a 45 minute debate with a
regional sales
> manager from Yokohama Tires about producing another run of AVS
> Intermediates in sizes for the early Esprits and the DeLorean.  I
did not get
> the impression that it was going to happen any time soon, primarily
because
> the market is just too small.

I understand why the big manufacturers will not spend the money on
producing tires for such small markets, BUT that's what companies like
Coker and Universal specialize in. Vintage tires for small markets.
That's why I say organize and show that there is a market for tires
for our cars. I happen to like my car appearing like it's a relic from
the '80s. That's it's charm to me. I don't want it to look
"customized" for the '00s.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:52:02 -0500 (EST)
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

Johnny Sawyer wrote: Usually, the question I get is: "How fast does it go?" I always say,
"I don't know. The speedometer only goes to 85."

Parts Pit Mike replies: When in a group of Delorean fans, I got the same question. A twenty something piped in...

  "He's only had it to 87 cause he wants to stay in this timeline"

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 18:12:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Very common question which IMHO most people ask to get a conversation
going. I just tell them 88 MPH.

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 18:08:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re:Old Tires

Most manufacturers now recomend replacing tires over 7 years old.
Trailer tires especially because of the outdoor exposure to UV and
temperature extremes. Most car clubs and other organizations are
warning about the dangers of tires that look perfect but are just old.
It seems they can fail catastrophically without warning. If you do
drive on the NCT's just be aware of the dangers and consider putting
them away for display and using a newer tire for driving especially at
high speeds on hiways. Another fact about older tires. I had until
recently NCT's on my car. It rode hard, as if the tires were like
rocks. Once I changed to the Michelins (which were still available at
the time) the car rides completely different! Use a tire protectant
with UV protection, keep the tires inflated to the correct pressures
and check them often, and "retire" the tires after 7-10 years.

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 18:03:45 -0000
From: "andy" <andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: before the internet

A few days back someone asked what did Delorean owners do before the
internet. Being a owner since '82 I can answer this. Delorean one, and
Delorean center of Garden Grove ca. In '82 the first Gull Wing
Magazine came out (I have all the early editions) and there were
several small company Grady has been here since the first. Even from
the start the Delorean group has been a close knit family, had been
and is willing to help. I am proud to have been a part of keeping the
dream alive. I have cussed this car more than anything I have ever
owned but still I love it.

Andy Blackmon 3513

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:04:30 -0500
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: before the internet

Andy,

I forgot to mention BTW the "magazine" you refer to was actually "De Gull
Wing" but at twelve pages or less barely qualifies it as one. I have most of
the copies too. Like many of the venders of the period it was more of a
"flash in the pan".

Rob Grady

A few days back someone asked what did Delorean owners do before the
internet. Being a owner since '82 I can answer this. Delorean one, and
Delorean center of Garden Grove ca. In '82 the first Gull Wing
Magazine came out (I have all the early editions) and there were
several small company Grady has been here since the first. Even from
the start the Delorean group has been a close knit family, had been
and is willing to help. I am proud to have been a part of keeping the
dream alive. I have cussed this car more than anything I have ever
owned but still I love it.

Andy Blackmon 3513

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 15:51:56 -0500
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: before the internet & another N.Y. Times article

Andy,

DeLorean One? Actually P.J.Grady predates D 1 and probably everyone else as
we signed on as a DeLorean dealer in the late seventies, when I was in
college, and waited three years before receiving cars for sale in 1981. We
were a Chevrolet dealer at the time and my brother Paul met John Z. at a
dealer sales presentation when the company was trying to enlist dealers.
Paul sat next to John at this meeting in L.A. and ate a meal with him.
Interesting at one point John leaned over to him and, eyeing his dinner
bread, asked..."Are you going to eat that?" My brother gave up his bread but
signed on as a dealer anyway! He came home with a sharp DMC tie which I wore
to John's wake in Detroit twenty eight years later. The width of the tie is
now back in style as perhaps John is also with all the media attention.
Always the maverick he wore a leather vest, with sunglass's in his pocket,
to his own funeral but for once he didn't show up late! I intend to be late
to my own!
We lost a lot more "bread" honoring the warranties on the cars we sold
(After DMC went bankrupt without paying us for about 20K in warranty
claims)long before Ed Bernstein turned his promotional talents to the
DeLorean business.
That you list him first does indeed prove he is much better at self
promotion than I could ever aspire to be. However if service is what you
want I'm confident we were there first and by far the longest.
With the demise of DeLorean Cadillac last April we are probably the only
remaining original dealer still selling and servicing these fine old cars.
Next month they qualify for "antique" status with many insurance companies
which is starting to make me feel old :).

On another note there will be a one page article on John DeLorean in Sundays
N.Y.Times (12-25-05). It will be in the magazine section in the "Consumed"
column which at the end of each year does a piece called "The lives they
lived". I can only hope the article will be as favorable as the one they did
earlier this year which unfortunately went to print the morning after he
went into a fatal coma. I thought had he read it he would have enjoyed the
rare favorable publicity. Any one interested can read it online on the N.Y.
Time's website. It was in Part Two of the Friday March 18th, 2005 paper.
VIN 502's engine bay was pictured as well as my Concour's winning
(DOA's 1994 Williamsburg Show & DeLorean One sponsored) car at the local
(West Sayville) golf course. I mentioned it here at the time but it got lost
in shuffle with the announcement of his passing. If you missed it is worth a
look.

Happy Holidays,

Rob Grady

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:54:13 -0000
From: "Scot Stern" <Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Spark Plug Problem

Today, I thought it might be a good idea to check the plugs.  The first
one looked like new.  It had a white center and the burn is obvisouly
clean.  The middle on on the right side was also clean but it was not
tight when I loosened it.

When I put it back, it will no really tighten. I suspect that the
threds are crossed.  How does one fix this?  Does the head have to come
off?  Can a machine shop fix this?  Is there any way to fix it on the
car?

The car has 12,100 miles total on it.

Thanks,

Scot Stern