From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 2:46 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3045

1. Re: Wow. (was:Before the internet)
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Plug Gaps and final smog numbers
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. All I want is a darn light bulb!
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: before the internet
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

5. Original Tires
From: jimbo0946_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Battery for Delorean
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Reproduction tires needed! Re: Front Tires still needed
From: ". ." <klo_at_dml_cidio.net>

8. Re: Spark Plug Problem
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Merry Christmas to you all from DCS
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

10. Tires and Wheels
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Re: Battery for Delorean
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

12. Merry Christmas
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. NY Times Magazine article on John Delorean
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

14. Re: Fast Car?
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Winter Tires?
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Custom interior leather
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Re: lock modules
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

18. RE: Re: before the internet
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. DMC picture/logo for custom guages
From: "Nick" <nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Winter Tires?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

21. Re: before the internet & another N.Y. Times article
From: andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Tires and Wheels
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 13:30:43 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Wow. (was:Before the internet)

doki_pen wrote:

>Jon

Wow. I guess your now the next closest vin i've seen to mine to date.

VIN# 03209

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 22:40:07 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Plug Gaps and final smog numbers

No, passed. I have to recheck my numbers though. I am on vacation and may have mixed them up since I wrote from memory...

Nathan
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_a...>

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:39:43 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: All I want is a darn light bulb!

Can anyone point me to a chart that lists all the light bulbs on the DeLorean, and then shows their corresponding industry standard bulb codes so I can actually buy the correct light bulb at the AutoZone or Checker? The DMC part numbers mean nothing to them.

Ya know, buying a single front turn indicator/parking light shouldn't turn into a saturday afternoon research project!! I believe in supporting the vendors by buying parts from them, but it's hard for me to justify buying a single light bulb in another state and having it shipped to me when I live within walking distance of an AutoZone.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 23:23:07 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: before the internet

Definately a close knit community, a nice thing these days.  For example, I just got my issue of Deloreans magazine in the mail today, always great reading.  It was a testament to the community that even though it's a DMCH publication, there are ads placed by PJ Grady, and Delorean Motor Center.  What other business would allow an ad by a competitor in their magazine?  Seems everyone working together has been what's grown the interest in the car.  On a separate note, it looks like my car is shown in the magazine!!!  If you look at page 11, the picture in the middle, that must be my car because it looks like it's leaking some type of fluid!!!  Yes I've also cursed the car a time or two, which has been replaced by praise for the vendors, if it wasn't for their help (and this forum) I would have given up on it by now (though at this time I'm addicted, so I'm in it for the long term).

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:49:43 -0500
From: jimbo0946_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Original Tires

Would anyone be interested in buying a set of Original Goodyears?  They still have plenty of tread left and have been stored in a climate control garage.  I took them off to save them, if I ever wanted to put them back on for shows.  Now they are just taking up space.  I am located in NJ.  Just about any offers will be accepted.  I do need a rear louver if anyone wants to trade.

Jim
VIN#15880

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 01:41:25 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Battery for Delorean

 Tom ,

Sorry to hear your bad news.

Did the balljoint fail or the control arm break around the joint?

How bad was the frame damaged?

Dennis

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:06:54 -0700
From: ". ." <klo_at_dml_cidio.net>
Subject: Re: Reproduction tires needed! Re: Front Tires still needed

Tires were becoming scarce back some seven to ten years ago and it is not a new problem as today.  Who knows in the future?

I had played with the idea of some years ago as to get after market wheels/rims and I came across many reasons in not doing it.  The after market wheels that may or can fit our DeLorean are very few and those that do fit in my opinion, are not a good in the visual harmony match with the lines and style of the DeLoreans.  Besides, safety in the “abilities” of he wheels to perform properly was a major factor.  There was also the cost to have them altered or to have them to fit with shims and adapters was another problem.  The DeLorean's four holes pattern doesn't make it any easier, then there is the proper spacing necessary to have the wheel and tire to sit in the wheel well correctly and to perform properly.

It will be great if some company or vendors on this list can engineer and manufacturer wheels that will be able to be fitted with the many size tires that are offered by the tire manufacturers at the present and a good part of the future to come.

In the almost ten years that I have own my DeLorean, I had gone through four sets of tires and I am on my fifth set and I will be needing another set within
the next year?   I do drive in NYC's traffic of "stop and go" daily and on very long trips, which do wear the threads on my tires and the suspension as well.
Then there are other reasons why I need tires as my explanations below.   Anyway, every time I set out to seek tires, it became a quest. The last set of tires I
got two years ago were Michelin's Pilots and it was just beginning to be offered by Tire Rack.  Now, I understand Michelins and others are not available at this time and Michelins are not planning to run another batch.  They did it the first time "a test run" as I was told.  They are a VERY good tire for all around use!  (I still like the Pirellis as first choice.)

The unavailability of tires for the DeLorean at this time again, will bring the subject of after market wheels.   If we can get compatible after market wheels, it
will help ease the selection of tires and hopefully they will be in visual harmony with the lines of the DeLorean.   Besides the style to be looking well with the
DeLorean, they must also be able to take the dynamic stress and load that they will be subjected to.  This was a subject that I had discussed with Rob at PJ
Grady and many other wheel suppliers, was the question of the safety and dynamic load bearing.   Can the after market wheels be able to handle the weight
and momentum of the DeLorean on hard turns and maneuvers as well the potholes of the roads without incurring premature wear and failure.   When I used
to be in the automotive industry, I have seen many wheels from all different types of vehicles that had been destroyed by potholes or what the owners had put them through.  Many of the wheels look good, but they don't fair well as they should when they hit "simple" potholes or put through their paces.

As for myself, I had two experiences of tire and rim blowouts on the DeLorean, which I would like to share.  I had an original front rim and tire destroyed by a pothole and a metal trim on the FDR East River Drive some years back --- NOT FUN!!!  It was early January some years ago and it had snowed a day earlier.
They had plowed the FDR highway for the snow and the plow's shovel had ripped off and displaced part of the steel trim to be sticking out in the air from the edge of the curb of the right hand lane.  To complicate matters there was also a deep pothole in apex and the front of the curb while one has to make the
turn.  Now there is a quick turn, a pothole and steel trim sticking out?  A great combination for disaster.   The depth and the condition of the pothole itself
can create the lost of steering control.   At the moment of impact and the blowout of the tire, I was able to control the steering and drive and get off the
nearest exit, it was difficult to control, but it was manageable.   The consolation prize during the incident?  The stiffness in the sidewalls of the tire had
offered some control as to bared the weight of the front end and allowing me to keep control of the DeLorean as to drive on the tire itself and not on the rim.  Anyway, I did get off the highway safely and changed it to the spare tire and quickly detoured from work directly to PJ Grady that morning for a new front wheel and two front tires.

The other incident was also in winter two years before this previous one above.  It was a cold cloudy Sunday and I had started out early in the day heading upstate NY with the DeLorean.  It was nightfall when I started to head home back to NYC and it had started to snow very HARD.  When I got back to NYC, it had accumulated up to three to four inches of snow in the city.  The NYC Sanitation had plowed the streets and they had accidentally moved one of several large metal plates covering a trench that a construction crew had dug up on the famous street of The Bowery.  This trench was two plus feet wide and one plus foot deep, running completely across the road.  It was also filled with snow and water as slush, which made it impossible to be visible at night and with the heavy falling snow coming down, it was helping.  Anyway, I was one of the many vehicles that had either lost one if not two tires and wheels and front or rear suspension ripped off.  There were a dozen vehicles that were sitting on the side and many more around the corner of the block awaiting for the tow
trucks.

The damage that I had sustained in that incident was a blow out to my front passenger tire when I had hit the edge of the trench.  There was a cut to the sidewall of the tire but no damage to the aluminum wheel.  Since I was three blocks to the garage where I park, I just drove back and had replaced the front tire with the spare.  The next following morning went to PJ Grady to get the tire replaced.

What I do believe is that in both of my incidents, is that the OEM aluminum alloy wheels had played a big part in the out come to my DeLorean and my safety.  They held up!

I am not an engineer or an expert on this subject, but I can tell you from what I have experienced and what I have learnt from others, the OEM alloy wheels on our DeLorean’s are the best in it's engineering.  If they are to be replacements in the future, the wheels will have to be just as strong and able for the safety of the driver, the passenger and as well as the people and property surrounding or sharing the road with the DeLorean.

I know that Rob has on his Green DeLorean wheels that are no longer available on the market and I see that DMCH has after market wheels on their company's DeLorean.... If these wheels or others can take the punishment other then a "dainty fast drive" and if they are "do able," maybe this is the way we should go?

My two cents….

EVERYONE…SAFE MOTORING AND HAVE A VERY HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 01:34:16 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Spark Plug Problem

Scott,

In theory you should not have to remove the head. If you have a reputable automotive engine repair shop near you, they should be able to fix it for you in the car. Although it may require removing the intake manifold for ease of access. It just depends on what they think they can do with the space provided.

 If not, The only way to fix it is with A Sparkplug thread repair kit.  The challange is that the plug threads are deep in the wells of the head, it may require using an extension on the heli-coil tap. The other problem may be installing the new heli-coil insert. Their is a tab that has to be broken off after the insert is installed. Normally you would break it off with a flat screw driver but in this case there is a piston below it. So I,m not sure about that one. I would not want to drop that little piece of metal in the combustion chamber.
Perhaps a very skinny pair of long reach needle nose pliers would work. As for tapping the head for the new insert you should put a little bit of grease on the tap before tapping.
Most of the shavings will stick to the grease when you back it out of the hole. Also tap the hole in steps this will also help control shaving from reaching the piston. The same principle is necassary for drilling the tap hole.

I Hope this isn't to confusing.

Dennis

Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 22:00:00 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Merry Christmas to you all from DCS

_http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=0212320003_
(http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=0212320003)

Merry Christmas
or Happy Hanukkah to you

Ken & Chris

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:27:19 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Tires and Wheels

  Because of the increasing difficulty in getting a matching set of tires these days.

 It would be great if DMCH would invest in new larger sized OEM style wheel castings, but that is a pretty tall order.  The problem would be the short run quantities and getting an overseas manufacture to make them  for a reasonable cost that people would buy a new set readily. I am thinking about $800-$1000 for a complete set. I realized that todays custom wheels can cost upwards of 2K for a set. However the cost is what keeps most of us from going down that road. Every time I see an SUV with Gaint wheels these days all I can do is shake my head. Because they can have anywhere from 3 to 6K just in wheels and tires alone.  To me a HUGE waste of money but to each his own I guess. Then when you have to shell out 1,200.00 or more for new rubber every other year that is rediculous too.

I for one would like to see someone do a nice photoshop rendition of what the wheels would look like in the larger sizes. Perhaps  a few side views of the car with OEM style 15/16,  16/17,  and 17/18.  Any creative artist out there? Perhaps we should take a poll after the pictures are available for voting on. :-)

Matched tires are still avaliable but you have to hunt for them on the net. Or special order them from your local tire centers.

Michelin Pilot XGT4's are still availiable in both sizes.  Just because the Tire rack seems to be discontinuing that tire does not mean they aren't being made anymore or in someone elses inventory.

Firestone also has a matching set or maybe it was Bridgestone. Either way, I got a quote from my local Firestone tire center a couple months back. I believe they had them in stock too.

Dunlop qualifier GTs are availiable.

Perhaps we should start a reference list of currently manufactured tires for the car.

Does anyone know of other possible manufacturers that may have a matching set availiable? Like say Cooper, Kelly, Toyo, Pirelli, Uniroyal, yes even Goodyear and BF Goodrich.

Dennis

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:59:52 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Re: Battery for Delorean

Hello

It seems that the Zilla man has a serious problem with admitting that one of his products has failed. A friend of mine had a problem with his fan zilla on the way to Memphis show. It would click on and off like crazy for no reason and regardless of engine temperature. We could hear the relay chattering and it put so much load on the electrical system of the car that I could actually see the lights dim and the volt gauge would show all those current spikes. We traced the problem to the fan zilla module. After unplugging it and using regular jumper everything went back to normal.
When we met Bob Zilla at the show I asked him if he could test the module for me but he refused claiming that it must be a problem with the car. When I asked him to lend me another module to make sure it's not the car, he also refused. I did some more testing and came to a conclusion that the fan zilla is faulty. I was 100% sure. Still, Bob would rather start yelling at me than admit that the module is bad. I was really surprised that he refused to check it and refused even the remote possibility that it has failed. This is not the customer service we expected. Anyone who works with electronic circuits know that they fail sometimes.... Bob didn't realize that as of yet.
There were some people who witnessed our conversation and they were all very surprised to hear those words from Bob. Sooo... we had to get rid of the faulty module and went back to the good old jumper. He never installed any more zillas in his car and neither did I.

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
www.deloreana.com

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 05:58:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas Everyone!

  Chuck McKnight

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 11:00:16 -0500
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: NY Times Magazine article on John Delorean

FYI: NY Times Magazine published an article on John Delorean in their final
Sunday issue of the year.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/25/magazine/25consumed.html

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 16:24:44 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fast Car?

I floored mine once at night on M-53, here in MI! :) That was fun. (By the way, I did it for a very good reason; I was being tailgated by a crappy little Toyota when I was doing at least 80. And I was trying to merge with traffic safely.) I maxed out the speedometer and used up a lot of gas but...oh rough ballpark I had to be doing over 110-120 at the least. I think. Maybe. :P Mine doesn't get very good gas mileage when I do that though.
PS: I have a clean driving record too! MWAHAHAHA!
(name deleted due to legal reasons)
John *oops!*
VIN #10715 Dec. 81' (82' DMC-12)
Leather: Grey
Trans: 5 speed Manual
Floor Mats: Black
Wheels: Yes

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 16:35:10 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Winter Tires?

Hi all,
What would you suggest for good Winter tires on a DeLorean? Mine currently are BF Goodrich tires and I have 265's on the back (aspect ratio is rather wide) and I bought the car from California.I live in Michigan and I try not to drive it too much in the snow. Lately the weather has been a little better in my neighborhood though. Given the fact that it's RWD and a stick, there's bound to be sliding around in the snow. But with those CA tires on it, I slide around a LOT. I heard some owners go down one size from the standard stock tires. I'm looking to get rid of my 265's someday at least, as they rub on the inside of the wheelwell. I don't know why the previous owner had such large tires on it. Makes it look kind of like a Lotus or a 'Vette.
PS: if this message is posted wrong, my apologies to the mods, I know there's been a lot of talk about tires on the board lately.
John
VIN#10715
Interior: Grey
Trans: 5-speed manual

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 16:45:06 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Custom interior leather

Just out of curiosity, has anyone put custom interior leather in their car? I always liked the prototype's brownish/beige leather. Reminded me of my dad's Mercedes 220D. Also I heard at one point in the past, DeLorean was going to offer a blue color as an option. Is that true?
That would be sweet if DMC or another third party remanufactured the blue binnacles, seat covers, and such! I'm looking for some decent aftermarket seat covers that match my grey, as I can't afford the really nice lambskin ones or to reupholster my own seats. (Yet.) -Johnny
VIN#10715
The Mitten State

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 09:59:56 -0800
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Re: lock modules

Hank,
It could be a bad resistor or darlington transistor in the LockZilla that's causing the excessive drain. Since it uses the same design as the stock module, you can perform Elvis' great upgrade if you can solder:
ftp://dmcnews.com/pub/lockmod91.pdf

Sadly, this is one of the few "design flaws" of the car. A properly working stock module will drain a battery faster then a more modern system, but still not as quick as a week (assuming the battery and charging system are fine). Hopefully Toby's new lock module will be able to prove itself as it sounds like a great alternative when it's released!

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 12:26:23 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: before the internet

TUXR, You might want to check out a little deeper your magazine again.
PJ Grady, Delorean Motor Center and others are not competitors but supporters of DMCH because they are so called Proper vendors and follow DMCH contract rules.
Special T has had a shop for almost a year and charges $60.00 per hour rate and not $100.00 and since we don't conform to their rules on labor rates and parts prices were not allowed to participate in magazine and other events.

Again, they charge their prices, charge their labor rates and have to buy X amount of dollars per month to get the discount.
Do you find independent vendor adds in the magazine that competes with DMCH, I don't think so? I subscribed to the magazine and would love to advertise in it but my subscription was canceled.
The internet is a great tool for finding parts from independent parts houses such as mine and others that sell DeLorean parts and services.

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:36:00 -0000
From: "Nick" <nicholden_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMC picture/logo for custom guages

Hi,

I am having some custom guages made for the dash and i would like to
have a simple picture of the Delorean with it's doors up placed as a
logo on the guages. Simular style to the one that i used to show if
the doors are open.

Does any one have a Jpeg image of something simular??

Cheers, Nick 10927

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:54:23 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Winter Tires?

I would recommend Bridgestone Blizzak tires.  We run them on our
Boxster and they have impressive grip in snow and ice.  The only
problem is their snow compound wears away in about two seasons.

-------------- Original message from "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 17:45:13 EST
From: andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: before the internet & another N.Y. Times article

Rob you are indeed right  your company has been here longer than  anyone and
I might add was and still is one of the best vendors we have, over  the years
you have gotten your share of my money. Do you or anyone on this list
remember Ben Byrd? In the early years he had Scientific Automotive of Ft.
Lauderdale, Fl. I am not sure of this but I think he was the first to replace  the
clutch line with stainless steel, he used hard brake line cut to fit to do  this
job. Until about 3 months ago my car still had his hard line on the clutch,  I
replaced the line in '85  and put the braided line on this year. I have a
great catalog from his company, dated summer '85
Andy B 03513

Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:07:55 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tires and Wheels

dmc_5180 wrote:

>I for one would like to see someone do a nice photoshop rendition of what the wheels
>would look like in the larger sizes. Perhaps  a few side views of the car with OEM style
>15/16,  16/17,  and 17/18.  Any creative artist out there? Perhaps we should take a poll
>after the pictures are available for voting on. :-)

Ask and you shall recieve.

http://badger.brazi.net/stuff/55861617.jpg

Since I did some quick and nasty free transforms. in less than 5
minutes.. Please, no critisizims. :P  By my guestimations this is
roughly what 16 & 17's would look like. I'm in the middle of a thorough
housecleaning so five minutes is all you get. heh.

**** HUGE FREAKIN COPYRIGHT (or lack there of) NOTE ****
The image I used I grabbed off the yahoo photo's section for the group.
It is of VIN 5586 (or thats what it says anyway)  It is not my car. It
is not my photography.
I am in no way making any claims to it. Or even the photoshopped version.
I intended to use my own car originally but after digging and finding no
side views of my D
that wasn't with it on jackstands.  I merely used the image because it
was a nice side view
that I didn't have to spend lots of time digging for on the net.. If
your the owner of 5586
(or the original image) and have any issues with the image then please
email me off list and
 i'll promptly remove it.
**** END NOTE****

Sorry for that little blurb but i've actually had issues
with...entities... before when i've done stuff like that.
So i'm just trying to CMA..   I've learned people seem to threaten
lawsuits over anything if they think they
can get some easy money...

VIN# 03209