From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 5:20 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3048

1. My new De Lorean
From: "lamborghinijim" <lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

3. RE: Possible sale of 400 mile DMC never registered
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

4. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

5. Re: Re: New Stereo?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

6. Re: My new De Lorean
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. Re: My new De Lorean
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

8. AW: My new De Lorean
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

9. console (radio/heater) and seat covers
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

10. Raising the seat height
From: "John Chapelhow" <chapelhow_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Cams and Rocker Arm Sources
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>

12. Re: My new De Lorean
From: "lamborghinijim" <lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

14. Stainless stel
From: "lamborghinijim" <lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: My new De Lorean
From: Jim Cope <lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Raising the seat height
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

17. Re: Raising the seat height
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. Re: Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

19. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

20. Re: Re: Raising the seat height
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

21. Re: Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

22. Re: Cams and Rocker Arm Sources
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

23. Re: Raising the seat height
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

24. oil pan gasket removal
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

25. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

26. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:10:38 -0000
From: "lamborghinijim" <lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: My new De Lorean

Hi al, the name is Jim and I live in South Africa I have just taken delivery of a DMC 12 with 600 miles clocked. As far as I know its the 2nd one in the country.

Have some problems and rather than try to re invent the wheel thought I would ask.

1. Headlights...when i turn on low beam high beam also comes on but dim, the voltage on the high beam is 8v. I have check and added new earths...no luck. When switching to high beam the reverse happens.

2. One window would not go up, after stripping the plastic tube (90
deg) has broken and is not fixed securely so the cable just goes into the door space. Is there a fix or is it a new unit?

Im sure there will be more questions......many thanks

Jim Cope

Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:37:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate

Patrick,

  If it's legit, I'd say it's pretty damn rare.  -But it doesn't match the orientation of the tag on VIN 500.  I uploaded a picture to your album of the VIN 500 tag.  Lawrence's VIN 538 tag also has the same orientation as 500 (I happened to have a pic of his tag handy that he sent me).

  It could very well be a reproduction.  If not, it might be a reject piece --in which case it would be even rarer.  How did you get a hold of it?

  Jake
  1063

"Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:
  I just acquired my latest piece of DeLorean memorabilia and am wondering just how rare it actually is. It is a blank VIN plate off of a 500 series car, which includes the rare printing that some on the list have mentioned differs from the other production cars. My guess is that a worker pocketed it as a souvenir during the first month of production. I placed pictures of it in the photo albums under "Blank 500 Series VIN Plate".

I thought it was a unique item and I snatched it up, but maybe it really isn't as rare as I think.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, either on or off the DML.
-Patrick C.

Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:47:30 -0500
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: Possible sale of 400 mile DMC never registered

Do to an investment opportunity that I have, I am considering selling my
1982 DeLorean with 400 miles on it with an original CO.  It has never been registered.  The car starts on the first turn of the key and the body is in new condition.  There is some sun damage to the fascia and dash.  I have a new dash, binnacle, and oem seats, however the seats are probably good as is.  If there is someone on the list that seriously wants a one of a kind car that with a little work that will win any competition, here it is.

Please contact me off list.

Jack Singer
Mail at jacksinger.com

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:40:23 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Patrick,
It's a rare item indeed, it was on my last Delorean(vin 00570)as for one thing it is made from SS,while the later production ones are made from crappy tin materials,that could easily get damaged or even rot away!!(if exposed to the elements) Like other stuff on the Delorean,as production went on,cheaper materials,and more cost affective materials were used some examples
were: door weights,hoods without lines and gas door delete,cheaper radio,leather delete on the dash,windshield antenne/fender antenne (labor savings),seperate door pull strap,dual key system,The more expensive early owners manual,tool kit/tire jack ect ect.I am sure I missed out stuff,that became/was downsized,the big one of course was NOT to use a SS frame(only one car(that I know of) was factory made with the SS frame)(see James report somewhere on the DMCNEWS site)but you get the picture.

cbl

Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:26:20 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: New Stereo?

They are still made brand new but can be expensive. They are now made for older cars that dont want to hack their dash for a radio.

Here is a good example.

http://www.vintagevibes.net

Mark V

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:38:29 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: My new De Lorean

Hi Jim

Welcome aboard! Please add yourself to the owner map (see info on www.dmcnews.com). I don't think we have anyone else in SA (or Africa at all for that matter!).

The window regulator can sometimes be pieced back together, but if at all possible replace it with the new all-metal version. I realize that access to parts may be a bit of an issue.

RE the headlights - it sounds like you still have a ground (earth) problem. Pull off the grille between the headlights and check all the wiring in there. There are a couple of plugs that sometimes cause issues. The main grounds for the front are on top of the frame just aft of the radiator. Check the headlight relays too.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "lamborghinijim"

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:01:30 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi Jim

If I remember correctly, you drive on the left in S Africa? Even if not, it sounds like your headlights have been replaced with H4 units and the plugs have not been re-wired to account for this. It's as simple as popping the pins out of the outer lights and rotating them so that in the car's perspective, black is to the left, red/blue is on top*, and white/blue is on the right.

* the original lights have the centre pin at the bottom.

Window regulators are notorious and strengthened replacements are easy to buy - but can be a pain to fit!

Martin
DeLorean Motor Cars Ltd
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:26:48 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: My new De Lorean

Hi Jim,

the headlight problem sounds like the typical issue when they swap the american sealed beams with the regular lights with replaceable bulbs. The pin configuartion is different, that's the reason why the voltage is divided - the other bulbs are connected in series.

The pin configuration can be swapped at the connector.

have fun with your new toy ;-)

Elvis

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:41:42 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: console (radio/heater) and seat covers

Hello.

I'm doing up the interior of my car, which is somewhat customized.  I have a stock console plate that I'd like to swap out, with the intent to buy a DMCH DIN radio console plate so I can mount a more modern radio.

Before I figured out that the stock console plates are a hard-to-get item, I unfortunately had cut a channel at the bottom of the plate to run some cabling.  Nonetheless, this piece is likely to be useful to someone refurbing the interior of a more stock Delorean, as it's likely that the modification wouldn't show.  It may be, however, that I already modified it too much to be usable in a regular Delorean, in which case I'll just cut it some more to hold a DIN form factor radio.

Before I consider giving away/trading/selling this console plate, I'd need to find out whether the channel I cut would show above the console center section in a regular Delorean.

I'd hate to chop up this part, if I can avoid the labor, particularly if it is useful for a stock Delorean.

Can anybody point me to a good picture of the radio/ac/heater panel that might show how much of the bottom of this faceplate is visible?

Also, what's the collective experience with DMCH seat covers?  They look nice.  I'm considering getting a pair.

P.S. on the mismatched front/rear tire thing,  I've had good luck researching tires on the internet at sites that show you pictures of the tires.  That allows a close aesthetic match between front and rear tires.  My front tires and rear tires are different, and nobody seems to ever notice.

Thanks.

Rick Gendreau,

11472, running, and tons of fun.

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:43:19 -0000
From: "John Chapelhow" <chapelhow_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Raising the seat height

All.

Does anyone have any experience of raising the DeLorean seat height please? I love driving my car, but would feel happier if the seat could be raised somehow. At 5'4", my vision of the front bumper is not ideal. I have several UK owners discussing the situation, but would like to hear from anyone that has done something similar before.

Cushions/padding to the seat are not desirable, I am guessing a combination of longer bolts/thicker runners would be the way to go?

I would be particularly keen to hear from any of the vendors, surely I can't be the first to want such an `upgrade' ?

Comment offlist if you prefer.

Many thanks

John Chapelhow
UK

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:42:18 -0000
From: "Rick" <rdevaux_at_dml_titan.com>
Subject: Cams and Rocker Arm Sources

Does anyone have a good source for replacement camshafts and rocker arms?  New or good used condition?

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:37:06 -0000
From: "lamborghinijim" <lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi Dave,
it looks like Martin and Elvis had the solutions.....however look
at the post I just sent re the origin of the stainless, however idid
pull off the grill and low and hehold behind it was a wasps mud
nest....looks like Ive imported some "yankie" bugs. Checking other
crevises of the car there are quite a few mud home!!!!. I wonder
whats gonna come out?

Cheers

Jim

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:36:38 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Jake and Patrick,

This is a genuine dash VIN tag that was installed on many, but not
all 500 series cars.  Most of these early tags, if not all, had to
be painted to reduce sun glare, hence many of the 500 series cars
have a hidden treasure under a layer of black paint.

The actual production run of cars with these early VIN tags is not
yet been determined, but they do not appear to have been used on
or after VIN...585, so this blank VIN tag itself is very rare.
Several early 500 series cars have had there tags cleaned lately.

There are many stories about VIN...500, including being the actual
second car off the production line, being re-tagged as the first,
since the first car was inadvertently damaged as it "rolled off"
the line and into a wall just before the press arrived.

I'm glad this rare item has surfaced, since it will help fuel more
interest in the celebration of the early DeLoreans in June 2006.
By the way, there is plenty of information about the 500 series
that was "re-discovered" with interviews of former DMC engineers.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_s...>

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:32:30 -0000
From: "lamborghinijim" <lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Stainless stel

Hi guys and many thanks to Martin and Elvis for posting prompt replies
to my questions.

Just a little trivia you may or may not knot know it was also one of
thr reason that convinced me to buy a DMC 12.
The stainless steel came from South Africa, the plant is called
Columbus and its near Witbank and Midleburg towns.
They have the only other DMC that I know is in the country, the use it
for shows and exhibitions etc.

Just a useless bit of information.

Cheers

Jim

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:20:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Jim Cope <lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi Martin and thanks, yes we do drive on the correct side of the road) (left) I changed them for H4 and H1 (mains) units. Many many thanks

  How much are the window motors and from where can I get them?

  Some of the other issues are

  Brakes...feel spongy and dont realy stop that good, as I said the car has only covered 600 miles from new, the pads are perfect but the disc although new had a sort of greenish tinge Ive even tried to scratch it witha sharp object butit doesnt budg, should I have the discs skimmed to take the stuff off and fit new pads.
  Not sure how old fluid is so might replace that also.
  How goos should the brakes be/feel?

  Getting the "black" exterior trim back to a good deep black...Im trying a Meguires product, if you know of anything better....shout.

   off as we do have to have them by law, a new free flow muffler syste also but I will keep the tail pipes to look the same.

  Any thing else you think I should investigate?

  Car runs good and has also 70 psi oil pressure.

  Cheers

  Jim

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:50:29 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Raising the seat height

John

Have you tried adjusting the seat rake?  My wife is 5'2" and
hasn't had any complaints about the driving position.

-------------- Original message from "John Chapelhow" <chapelhow_at_dml_hotmail.com>: --------------

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:57:11 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

The quick and dirty way would be to stack some washers under the seat
on the mounting bolts. If you look under the car you'll see four nuts
on 4 studs that come down thru the floor. Take the nuts off and lift
the seat out (run it all the way forward to clear the seat belt
bolt). Normally they stick out about an inch, so you could easily
raise the seat up to about 1/2 inch this way.

Dave Swingle (6'4", no seat problem)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Chapelhow" <chapelhow_at_dml_h...>

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:06:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Rich,

  I was hoping you'd chime in since I know you've had a lot of experience in this department lately!  What do you think about the orientation being backwards on Patrick's?  The "tapered" end is opposite the other two 500 series tags that I've got pictures of.

  Patrick:  make sure you bring this thing to DCS!

  Jake

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:08:30 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

I'm not sure where to start with this list, but here goes.

NO DeLorean VIN tags were made from "tin materials", unless there
is a reason to call Aluminum a "tin".  All door VIN tags were SS
and most 500 series dash tags were SS.  It appears that all dash
VIN tags used on VIN...585 and later were aluminum (no tin).

There were NO DOOR WEIGHTS used in production or pre-production.

Hood grooves and gas flaps were eliminated because C.R. Brown did
not want them from Day 1 and the large number of reject stampings
were used to justify eventually producing the cheaper, flat hood.

Windshield antenna was not eliminated due to cost or labor cost,
again C. R. Brown insisted that a physical ariel be installed to
address the many poor reception claims from early DMC owners.
The fender mount antennas were a stop gap before the power units.

Door pull straps were re-located for functional reasons, not cost,
as were the dual key door locks to single key assemblies.  The
reason for the early, hand-made leather dash pieces is because of
lead time delays on production parts.  Again, this was a stop gap.

As for tire jacks, there area several stories, but as for tool kits
again, C.R. Brown ordered all tool kits removed from all DeLoreans
(production cars) as they arrived at the QAC locations.  Time was
more of an issue than cost for the later (82-83) owners manuals.

As for the SS frames not being installed on more than test or pilot
DeLoreans due to cost, this could not be further from the truth.
Lack of frame durability due to incorrect angled bends (for SS) and
the use of butt welds instead of seam welds led to the cancellation
of the SS frames after they failed initial durability tests.

All this and more will be explained by former DMC engineers as part
of the DeLorean 25th Anniversary events near Chicago in June 2006.

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:09:12 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Raising the seat height

I installed washers up to 1/2" thick under only the front studs about 20
years ago. This added thigh support and made those long cross country drives
more comfortable.

Bruce Benson

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:22:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

I worry about a lot of things on my car, but my VIN tag rotting away isn't one of them!

  There were several cost saving measures taken during production, but half of what you list below has nothing to do with money.  Some changes were made because they worked better, not because they cost less:

  - Antenna was moved from the windshield to the exterior to improve fringe radio reception.

  - Door pull straps were relocated to pull closer to the door's center of gravity.  The ones on the handle are really too far forward to work optimally.

  - VIN tags were very likely changed to avoid having to paint each one.  The glare on those stainless tags would be irritating on a daily driver (though I'd still love to have one)

  - Dual key system is much more robust than the two-key in my opinion.  I like my big lighted key, but I don't like having to carefully "rake" open the exterior lock each time I use it (two-key D people know what I'm talking about...)

  - The leather dashes and binnacles were likely just small runs of "custom" parts because the rest of the pieces weren't ready yet (Rich probably has more info on the accuracy of this statement)

  Jake
  1063

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:39:28 -0600
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Cams and Rocker Arm Sources

No better source than the factory.
Stock Cams: 102706 [RH] and 102707 [LH}, $177.29 each.
Rocker arms: 102236, $29.95 each.
Head set: 111100, $191.63
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=901&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=679&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2456&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
All in stock, no waiting.  Free ground shipping this week for web orders
over $100.
Warren at DMC

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:42:46 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Be careful adding washers. The seats are held in by elastic stop nuts.
They have a piece of plastic on one end crimped into place and meant
to keep the nut from loosening. If the nut is not threaded on the
screw enough so that you can catch your fingernail on at least 1
thread then you MUST get longer bolts. You can also add washers
between the seat and the adjustable rails. Again, too much and the
fastener will not hold properly. It is rare for people to complain
about not being able to adjust for smaller persons, usually it seems
to be the taller people that feel cramped. In any case you should also
try adjusting the steering column. It adjusts up and down and in and
out. It may be stuck from not having been moved in years. Loosen the
knob on the right side of the column under the dash, move to a
comfortable position, and retighten the knob. Refer to your owner's
manual. BTW when adding washers you should use large fender washers to
spread out the load. Consider the forces acting on the seat in a
crash. It is not just the static force of sitting on the seat that you
have to be concerned about!

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:13:45 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: oil pan gasket removal

Hey Group,

Any tips out there on removing the oil pan gasket easily? I have the engine
on a stand with the pan off.  The OEM gasket was a good one - it's  made of
felt and is 99% still on the crankcase.  The gasket just comes off  in little
layered shreds.  Do I just need hours of patience or is there a  better way to
remove it?  I took the pan off just to see the inside out of  curiosity and to
get the pan cleaned and painted.  Maybe that wasn't such a  good idea. I
definitely don't want to start scraping this thing with a gasket  scraper and risk
marring the mating surface.  I am definitely not doing  this twice!

Thanks -
Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:22:32 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Jake and others,

We are still waiting to have the most complete list of 500 series
VIN tags as possible before making any offical statements of how
most of them are (or should be), within specific VIN ranges, but
we should have a much clearer picture before June 2006.

(and I'm not just saying this so we get more people to attend)

However, I will say that any details posted here between now and
June 2006 will only be a small fraction of the information that
will be presented to the DeLorean community next summer and we do
plan to keep a few surprizes until the actual days of the events.

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:15:08 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Thanks to all for the input.  I obtained the VIN plate from a woman in
the UK, who told me that she got it many years ago in the city of
Coventry.  It had a slight bend in it that I straightened out when I
got it.  As for the difference in orientation that Jake mentioned, I'm
not that concerned about it.  True, the cut corners are on the top
instead of the bottom like some other early cars, but I can assume
this is just one of those differences that exist like in so many other
aspects of DeLoreans (i.e. no 2 are exactly alike).  Maybe they
printed the wrong side by accident wherever the plate was made.

In any case, feel free to continue the discussion of it.  I have
talked to Ken K and the blank VIN plate will for sure be at DCS.

-Patrick C.
VIN 1880