From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 2:53 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3049

1. Re: oil pan gasket removal
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. AutoWeek Delorean Article.
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: My new De Lorean
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

4. Re: My new De Lorean
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

5. RE: Re: Raising the seat height
From: "Rob Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

6. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net

7. Re: AutoWeek Delorean Article.
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Re: oil pan gasket removal
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

9. Re: AutoWeek Delorean Article.
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: oil pan gasket removal
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

11. Mystery Coolant leak found
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:29:41 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: oil pan gasket removal

Yes and no :-)

Don't worry about scraping the surface a bit - it's a thick gasket and doesn't exactly do the same job as a head gasket. Try not to get too much crap in the crank case that's all.

Martin

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:03:43 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: AutoWeek Delorean Article.

I was just looking through my Dec 12th issue of AutoWeek and noticed a
fairly extensive nice article on the DMC-12.  The owner was from
Canada and perhaps a member of this group.  His name is Mike Sturba, I
guess from Canada.  I haven't been tracking this group closely lately
but wanted to make sure you all new about this article.  It was nearly
a full page and had a picture of the Delorean.  Article written by
James Chung.  Interestingly, they pointed out that one could purchase
a running Delorean for about $15,000 and that there were only  8583
produced.  On the same page is a smaller article below Showing a 1970
For Mustang Boss 302 (8252 produced) that was worn with old paint and
rock chips that sold for $55,560.  I was figuring that a new Delorean
had cost about $28,000 and the New For mustang Boss couldn't have been
more than about 6,000.  Seems the Delorean should be worth a lot more.

Dale

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:52:59 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: My new De Lorean

For the exterior black trim, I use Tire Wet, same stuff used for the
tires, looks very black and wet.  I recently heard that type of
stuff isn't good for the tires due to drying them out, not sure if
that's true, so maybe it's not good for the trim either (?).  Anyone
have any thoughts on that??  Mine's a daily driver, so maybe it
would be OK, as it's not sitting there (actually doesn't seem to
last real long due to use of the car).  They make a non-spray sponge
type product to rub on I just started using (also Tire Wet), that
lasts alot longer.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jim Cope <lamborghinijim_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> Hi Martin and thanks, yes we do drive on the correct side of the
road) (left) I changed them for H4 and H1 (mains) units. Many many
thanks

>   How much are the window motors and from where can I get them?
>
>   Some of the other issues are

---
>   Getting the "black" exterior trim back to a good deep black...Im
trying a Meguires product, if you know of anything better....shout.

>    off as we do have to have them by law, a new free flow muffler
syste also but I will keep the tail pipes to look the same.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 01:30:52 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Hi Jim

Answers below:

>  How much are the window motors and from where can I get them?

Quite pricey, and "all the vendors". Have a look in the parts section at
www.delorean.co.uk but we may well not be the cheapest to S Africa..

>  Brakes...feel spongy and dont realy stop that good, as I said the car has only covered 600 miles from new, the pads are perfect but the disc although new had a sort of greenish tinge Ive even tried to scratch it witha sharp object butit doesnt budg, should I have the discs skimmed to take the stuff off and fit new pads.
>  Not sure how old fluid is so might replace that also.
>  How goos should the brakes be/feel?

I've done countless sets of calipers, master cylinders and brake hoses
because they die through lack of use. Calipers are quire cheap here in
the UK. You should be able to get a sharp, hard pedal.

>  Getting the "black" exterior trim back to a good deep black...Im trying a Meguires product, if you know of anything better....shout.

The rubstrips? The louvers? Personally, I use Car Plan Black Trim Wax,
it's a product on the shelf here. Tyre dressing is a good cheat too.

>   off as we do have to have them by law, a new free flow muffler syste also but I will keep the tail pipes to look the same.

We do a de-catted stainless system. It has tips though, but I'm sure we
could have it made without. Pics in the "performance" section.

>  Any thing else you think I should investigate?
>
>  Car runs good and has also 70 psi oil pressure.

Give it a thorough service. Oil, air, fuel filters, oil, brake and
clutch fluid, stainless clutch line, read through the bulletins on the
DMCNews site and for god's sake put some new tyres on it. Also check the
trailing arm bolts

Martin
DeLorean Motor Cars Ltd
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:00:59 -0500
From: "Rob Grady" <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Raising the seat height

Dave & John,

That is correct but I would not suggest it as raising the tracks like that
could make the mounting studs more prone to bending or breaking in a
collision. The lack of support would increase bending leverage and give the
seat more built-in inertia in a crash IMHO. Any of the engineers on the list
with theoretical experience in bending force loads and leverage effects care
to confirm or refute this? In any case not many shops would want to take on
the potential liability of doing any modifications to the mounting of your
seats but you're free to do so on your own. If you do raise the seat I'd
suggest at least shimming the tracks so they fully contact the floor but I'm
not recommending it....OK? It's something you might consider anyway.

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 01:40:15 +0000
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate

I haven't read all of this thread however I have several of the blank VIN plates so I don't think those are rare.

Cecil Longwisch

any case, feel free to continue the discussion of it. I have

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:40:42 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: AutoWeek Delorean Article.

funkstuf wrote:

>Interestingly, they pointed out that one could purchase
>a running Delorean for about $15,000 and that there were only  8583
>produced.  On the same page is a smaller article below Showing a 1970
>For Mustang Boss 302 (8252 produced) that was worn with old paint and
>rock chips that sold for $55,560.  I was figuring that a new Delorean
>had cost about $28,000 and the New For mustang Boss couldn't have been
>more than about 6,000.  Seems the Delorean should be worth a lot more.
>
>Dale
>941
>4984

Well the answer to this lies partly in two catagories. Performance and
rarity.  While roughly equal numbers were produced originally.. The
mustang is just that, a mustang.  There were a metric buttload of
mustangs produced in general, therefore when the boss 302's began aging,
a whole lot of them most likly found their way to scrap yards (with
other types of mustangs as well) before they began to be sought after.
The delorean was allways unique enough to usually not get tossed away
just because it was getting old, therefor less of them ended up as
scrap. I saw somewhere it was estimated that probably around 6000 or so
deloreans were still in drivable, or were still capable of being
restored to the point of being drivable without extreme effort.  My
guess is that the 1970 boss 302 mustang is actually a heck of alot more
scarce than our D's are, so that's part of the increased value. The
other part is performance. I don't think anyone has ever bought a
delorean for it's performance aspects, aside from maybe it's handling.
Muscle cars are popular. there's no doubt about that and it's easily
proved.  It's my opinion that if the Delorean had rolled off the
assembly line with an additional 100hp, demand and values of our cars
would most likly be quite a bit higher that it is. But unfortunatly, as
with most 'if' statements, there's no real way to know for sure.

VIN# 03209

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 02:12:25 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

There's some stuff in auto parts stores called "gasket remover."  It
works slowly, but you spray it on and it softens things up a lot so to
be scraped off more easily, and more in one piece.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 02:32:38 -0000
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

It's all about supply and demand ;-)  The supply of both cars is the
same, but with the baby-boom generation coming of age, I would
imagine that the Boss is in much higher demand than a car like the
DeLorean.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 03:20:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I have tried gasket remover and like many things advertised it
promises more than it delivers. The way to get the gasket off is to
get a scraper, make sure it is VERY SHARP. Dull tools are much harder
to use and are dangerous because of the increased force you apply to
make it work. Don't use too sharp an angle. Once you start getting the
gasket loose it should be easy to go right around. Don't "fillet" it.
Take it off complete, that is, not in layers. If you stay pretty flat
with the scraper you should not make any deep scratches. Use silicone
sealer when you reassemble.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 03:39:45 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Mystery Coolant leak found

Hey gang,

For the past year, I have had a mysterious coolant leak. I did pressure checks but nothing
ever seemed to show up.  Yet, I have had this constent slow loss of coolant.  Well, I think I
may have found the culprit.  I just removed my DMCH exhaust to have it JET-HOT coated. It
was one of the early systems that had the JET-HOT look a like stuff used on it. Anyway,
DMCH is standing behind there product and is covering the cost of recoating with Genuine
JET-HOT. The coolant leak appears to be a corroded freeze plug between the #4 and #6
exhaust ports. A visable wet seep is evident. This also confirms the reason for coolant steam
rising from the manifold occasionally when the engine is cold and warming up to temp. it just
never left any drips to show itself earlier. Does anyone know what size these freeze plugs
are? Are their any tips or suggestions for removing and installing the replacemnt plugs when
I get them.

Dennis