From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 2:10 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3050

From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Jim Cope <lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: ks_at_dml_steinerklaus.de

From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: "nk1165" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. IRS Auction of VIN 6413
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

25. Front Grill
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 04:41:20 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: All I want is a darn light bulb!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_c...> wrote:

> Did you ever think to take the old bulb to the auto parts store and
> compare?

Well, that would of course be too easy. Yes, it did occur to be to do so, but the night I discovered it went out I didn't feel like dealing with it when I got home at midnight, and assuming it was simple I figured the next time I was out I'd just pick one up at an auto parts store. Well, if a DeLorean is even listed in a store's data base, it would say "no parts available". So after two stores I go home and look in the Handbook, and no trade numbers, just wattages. So then I look around online, and could not find a thing beyond a DMC part number.
Yes, at this point I could have removed the bulb to see what it was because I'm going to have to do it anyway, but from experience I know that the correct part is not always the part you find when you remove something off an old car. There's always the chance "Bubba" was there at some point before you and rigged lord knows what. I sleep better at night knowing that I've confirmed I'm getting the correct part from a legit source. That's why I looked in the handbook, and searched DeLorean sites that I have confidence in. I'm a little too thorough, even when it comes to light bulbs.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:45:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: oil pan gasket removal

... If you use this product, make sure you only put it where you want it.  The chemical will also melt rubber parts (hoses, seals).

Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:18:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Jim Cope <lamborghinijim_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: My new De Lorean

Hi Martin you have been a great help.......Im often in the UK as I am British and come over for various business meetings etc....will try to call in next time.

  Thanks for all the help, on the window motor, it runs fine its just the plastic guide that has broken I might try to have a metal thing made.

  Tell me more about the stainless brake line?

  Tyres have been replaced with Cooper Cobras.....date code looks like 03.

  What should I check for on the rear trailing arms?

  My clock doesnt work, nor do the electric mirros, will stuck into them today.
  I have already opened the clock up and electronic work (we are elctronic engineers) is appauling, dont think we can salvage the pcb. Will start to look for old vacumn florescent clock module latter after the holidays. Its summer here and everyting closes till about 2nd week Jan.

  There seems to be a good air flow from the door vents but sod all from the facia ones, is this the norm?

  When i got the car out of the container last week and broght her home she was filthy, so we washed her with car shampoo and OK but still wasnt impressed, so we spryed her with clean green  (not sure if u know what this is) and sponged it in, left for a while and hosed it off. It took forever to get non soapy water off the car....now she looks good.
  After drying I tried on one of the small lower panel some Turtle Wax "clear coat" and it seems to work. If u touch a raw panel your finger prints stay, on the coated panel nothing.
  Again many thank for all the help.

  Jim

Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk> wrote:
  Hi Jim

Answers below:

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 07:47:11 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AutoWeek Delorean Article.

Agree ... and likewise, Generation X'ers (who grew up in the '80's) are also gaining disposable income. I think that this could cause iconic 80's cars (i.e. Delorean, Cadillac Allante, Ferrari Testa Rossa, Bitter SC, etc.) to also gain popularity.

Side note: stellar performance can help cars appreciate, but isn't absolutely necessary  note that the '53 Vette was underpowered, but is still very desireable.

- Geoff
BKNTYME

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:49:52 +0100
From: ks_at_dml_steinerklaus.de
Subject: RE: Mystery Coolant leak found

Dennis,

VOLVO-dealers will have a special replacement for these plugs (B28F engine type). Having these new plugs it is much easier to remove the water out of the engine. See my picture at

http://www.steinerklaus.de/dmc/engine00/Seiten/14.htm

I'm at work and don't have the VOLVO-part# handy, if your'e interested please send me a mail.

Klaus and 05980
Germany

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:35:27 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: oil pan gasket removal

David, the trouble with this particular job is how easy it is to dig into the ally surface of the crank case, and no matter how hard you try, you will end up "filleting" it or digging chunks of ally up instead. It really is a sod of a job, but patience and several new blades will win in the end. Having the engine on a stand upside down makes the world of difference too :-)

New sump gaskets are available from your favourite vendor, no need to do it with silicone.

Martin

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:35:10 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

I would add that in 1970, Boss 302 Mustangs were very competitive in the Trans-Am series.  The DeLorean has no competition history of any kind.  In fact, the opposite is true - the DeLorean is in many ways a cartoon car because of the Back to the Future series.

A fairer comparison would be to look at prices of cars contemporary to the DeLorean.  For example, the early '80's Mustangs, Camaros, Trans Ams, and Corvettes are in similar price ranges.

-------------- Original message from Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>: --------------

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:53:49 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 12/29/2005 8:14:29 A.M. Central Standard Time, martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk writes:

David,  the trouble with this particular job is how easy it is to dig into the  ally surface of the crank case, and no matter how hard you try, you will  end up "filleting" it or digging chunks of ally up instead. It really is a  sod of a job, but patience and several new blades will win in the end.  Having the engine on a stand upside down makes the world of difference too  :-)

Can I really flip my engine upside down?  It sure would help things  but I am not sure of the consequences such as coolant or oil going upside down  into places it shouldn't be.

Sorry if this is an elementary question up until now all of my auto experience deals with cars that have their tires on the ground with an engine in  it!

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:08:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I agree it "ain't easy". With technique and skill it can be done. The damage done is usually not all that bad and can be smoothed out with a file and using silicone sealer with the new gasket. The better alternative would have been to reuse the old gasket, leaving it in place and siliconing the pan back onto it. When I did my turbo I had the chance to replace the gasket or reuse it. I chose to reuse it and it is not leaking. Taking a peek was OK, he just should have tried to reuse the gasket.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:12:24 -0000
From: "nk1165" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: Check out the 72 BMW Gullwing

Stumbled upon this by accident.  None-the-less check out the gullwing BMW.  Also note the side window design.  A great looking car considering the vintage

http://www.atspeedimages.com/limerock_2003/concours/1972_bmw_turbo/

Nick

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:13:57 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Raising the seat height

This is an effective way to get height and adjust the angle of the bottom seat cushion too - however, I would recommend you use washers that are the WIDE ones like you will find under the car when you take off the nuts (nearly an inch across). The wide washers minimize the flexing of the fiberglass around the hole in the fiberglass for the fastners of the seat. Use them top and bottom.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:08:44 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Klaus,

A part number would be great if you have it.  Does it require 2 drains?  One on each side of the engine?

Btw: My leaking freeze plug is the one between the #6 and #5 Exhaust ports in the head itself. Not the the lower block where you have your drain installed.

Thanks,

Dennis

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, ks_at_dml_s... wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> VOLVO-dealers will have a special replacement for these plugs (B28F engine type).
Having these new plugs it is much easier to remove the water out of the engine. See my picture at

> http://www.steinerklaus.de/dmc/engine00/Seiten/14.htm
>
> I'm at work and don't have the VOLVO-part# handy, if your'e interested
> please send me
a mail.

> Klaus and 05980
> Germany
>

> >Subject: Mystery Coolant leak found
> >The coolant leak appears to be a corroded freeze plug between the #4
> >and #6 exhaust
ports.
> >Are their any tips or suggestions for removing and installing the
> >replacemnt plugs
when I get them.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:06:34 -0600
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

We have those.  They're part number 102160, $0.67 each.  The way I was taught to remove them, back before electricity, was to drill a hole in the middle of the leaky plug, run an appropriate-size sheet metal screw into it, and pull it out with pliars. (Maybe you don't have to drill a
hole.) Coolant will come out.  Just tap the new one in with an old socket or something.
Warren at DMC

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:25:09 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Island Twin Turbo Decals

I have just uploaded 2 photos to the photo file of the decals I had
made for my Island Turbo car. They are labeled Island 1 and Island 2.
I put them on the rear quater panels, left and right. I can have more
made if anyone is interested in putting them on their Island Turbo
car. The guy has it in his computer now so it is easy to make more.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:30:27 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Check out the 72 BMW Gullwing

That appears to be a prototype of a BMW M-1 also designed by Giugiaro. Production car has normal doors and windows. It was a production car from 78-81 and is more rare than the DeLorean, only around 450 made. Now worth close to 100K. Note the white one in the background - wheels look familiar?

more info at http://www.bmwm1.com/

Dave Swingle (bimmerhead too)

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:39:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The way I do it is to just punch through it in the center with an awl
and then work it back and forth till it pops out. The important part
here is not to damage the sides of the hole in the block in any way.
To reinstall, make sure the sides of the hole are clean and smooth,
lay in a bead of silicone, and put the plug in convex side out. It
should fit tightly in the hole so tap it in evenly all around till it
bottoms. NOW hit it in the center to slightly expand it.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:35:29 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Guys - that's why you use plastic switch covers - the really cheap ones.  They
are sharp enough to remove the gasket without scratching the aluminum.  Really.

-------------- Original message from "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>: --------------

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 07:54:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Island Twin Turbo Decals

I'll post a picture of the ones I made years ago. I sent a couple of sets to Eleanor as a thank you for being so helpful when I bought my Twin Turbo car. They go on the inside of the rear quarter glass.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:48:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

If you really want to see a preproduction car that inspired the
Delorean look up a picture of the Lamborghini Marzal. It was the
precursor to the Espada. It probably inspired Giorgio, the Marzal has
gull wing doors, a sloping front hood, a rear sunshade, and the lines
of the Delorean. Designed by Gandini it was supposed to have a front
engine V-12!

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:52:23 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Dave,

I am curious why you would install the freeze plugs in backwards from the factory. I
usaually reserve that method for saucer shaped welch plugs that don't have cupped sides.

What I rely wondered was if it was possible too accidently knock the old plug into the
water jacket. Is their a step in the hole to prevent this?

Dennis

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:36:33 EST
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

The reason for the higher price for the Mustang vs. the higher price for the
DeLorean is that the Mustang is a musclecar. Obviously, this is not the only
reason, but the musclecar market has exploded; any musclecar is worth a lot
more than before. Just take a look at any Mopars, rare Mustangs, and many of the
Camaro and Chevelle SS's. Musclecars were musclecars up until around 1972 or
so, and cars in the musclecar era are highly demanded. The DeLorean wasn't in
the musclecar era, and aren't as highly demanded.

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:16:02 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Sure - if you drain the oil and coolant first. The coolant has two drain
bungs in either side of the block, same as the sump plug

Martin

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:32:55 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Except for the wheel skirt it's quite attractive. Too bad it's just a
concept. I wonder how BMW engineered the doors?

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:55:14 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: IRS Auction of VIN 6413

If anyone is going to the IRS auction in January in Dallas where VIN
6413 will be sold, please let me know the transmission type, interior
color and manufacture date.

Shannon

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:45:47 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Front Grill

If anyone has a used front grill, front turn signals, or headlights and brackets they want to sell email me privately.  The only need to be in fair condition.

Gary