From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 3:18 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3052

1. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate (dash)
From: delorean_at_dml_netcom.no

2. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Vin #10191 for sale Boston MA $14,500 or best offer.
From: "contactjuggle2" <contactjuggle_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Mystery Coolant leak found
From: "Klaus Steiner" <ks_at_dml_steinerklaus.de>

5. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

6. Re: Vin #10191 for sale Boston MA $14,500 or best offer.
From: delorean12_at_dml_comcast.net

7. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: '82 DMC for sale (LMC)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

9. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate (dash)
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate (dash)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

11. Re: Water pump and internal water pipe removal
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Now is cbl vs P J Grady
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. RE: Re: Raising the seat height
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

14. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate (dash)
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Water pump and internal water pipe removal
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

16. RE: before the internet & another N.Y. Times article
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

17. Screen Painting
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

18. Re: Vin #10191 for sale Boston MA $14,500 or best offer.
From: "Brian Williams" <contactjuggle_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: Screen Painting
From: Matthew Cooley <WHENRWE_at_dml_gmail.com>

20. Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate (dash)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:58:02 +0100
From: delorean_at_dml_netcom.no
Subject: Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate (dash)

If anyone have a blank VIN plate for the dash as seen in the photo section, please contact me off the list. I'm interested in buying one for my own car.

Or perhaps someone could make new ones?
I'd like to put the logo VIN plate on my dash instead of my standard, boring grey one!

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 07:30:51 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Does anyone else have one of these? Blank VIN Plate

I just wish these could be reproduced for our cars today. They look much mor elegant & sophisticated then the flat black plates we have now. Makes the car look really unique with such a ornamental dash vin plaque.

I would love to buy these with my dash vin if anyone was ever to reproduce these. Bet lots of other owners would like to have a better looking vin plate as well. "Hint Hint any vendors"

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:30:54 -0000
From: "contactjuggle2" <contactjuggle_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Vin #10191 for sale Boston MA $14,500 or best offer.

Brings a tear to my eye to sell it, but I got married and now it has to find a new home.

What works well:
 ~92k miles
 Clear CarFax report
 Great mechanical condition, starts and runs well  Grey color restored interior:
   - new vinyl seat covers
   - new silver grey micro suede headliners
   - dash pad (it was just too much work to replace the dash)  new pilot GT tires (PJ Grady recommended)  new front fascia with 'eye brow' fix  painted rear fascia and louvre  after market alarm system  after market MP3/CD touch screen  PJ Grady lowering springs and gas shocks in front  PJ Grady performance springs in the rear, I have the shocks
    but they aren't in the car yet.
 door inner and outer seals replaced
 Fan fail and relay upgrade
 Stainless lettering on rear bumper and door sills  Torsion bar adjustment was done

What it needs:
 broken speedo (tried to have it fixed twice!!)  windows frozen closed  needs a car cover, some water gets in the car even with new seals and
     a door adjustment - the biggest frustration.
 There are a few minor dings on the exterior and a 'grease spot' near
     the passenger door handle
 Passenger Door sticks a little - we were playing with it's alignment
     to try and fix the water problem.
 5th gear is hard to find - I'm not sure what is going on with it.

Comes with:
 Technical Manual
 The square socket piece for oil changes  A Cheap Car Cover

The car is just outside of Boston, MA.  I can arrange shipping - I had it shipped from Atlanta for ~500$.

Cheers,
Brian Williams
contactjuggle_at_dml_hotmail.com

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:47:02 +0100
From: "Klaus Steiner" <ks_at_dml_steinerklaus.de>
Subject: Re: Mystery Coolant leak found

Dennis,

the Volvo part number is 1271562-9. (I hope there are the same numbers in Europe and USA) You need one drain on each side. With them it is much easier to change the engine coolant fluid.

Klaus
Germany

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:38:18 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

Joe,
     The Arizona DeLorean Club is working with a vendor out here locally for some stainless steel products of this nature.  If you can provide me with one for temporary use or some good high quality digital pictures I can share them with our SS vendor and see what the cost to reproduce would be.

Thanks,
Matt Olans
VIN 16816
www.az-d.org

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:43:48 +0000
From: delorean12_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: Vin #10191 for sale Boston MA $14,500 or best offer.

I met Brian and actually purchased spare parts from him.  I have not seen his car but based on my conversations & dealings with him, he seems to be very upfront and honest.  I live close to him so if anyone wants me to inspect the car, let me know.

JAS

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:39:37 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I don't know if you want to be messing with "replacing" VIN plates, even if the number is the same. Heard a story on talk radio when the topic was DMV horror stories, or MVD as they are known here in AZ. As a matter of fact, oddly I heard it on the way over to Matt Olans house. Cars coming into our state require a level 1, 2 or 3 inspection before they can be registered here. A guy who had spent big $$ to frame off restore a C1 Vette that had previously been registered in another state prior took it in after the restoration was done so he could get it licensed. The state inspector noticed there were two non matching screws attaching the VIN plate to the car, so the inspector removed the original GM issued VIN plate, confiscated it, and gave the owner a new state issued VIN, basically making a $75K car worthless.
In the end he ended up selling it to a movie production company for $7K, and they blew it up in a film.

Don't screw around with your VIN plates!

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:03:15 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: '82 DMC for sale (LMC)

This one has popped up for sale the last three winters:

1982 DMC Groomer Snow Cat, Allis Chalmers turbo diesel, all angle blade and tiller, dependable and runs good.
$12,500  Gladwin, MI   989-426-5609

Anyone near Gladwin, MI that can take some photos of this DMC for display in the DCS 2006 museum?

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:06:49 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

If someone made me an acceptable offer, I would part with the blank dash VIN plate we are discussing here.  If not, it may be on eBay after the DCS show.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:19:44 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

As of now I do not think ANYONE has the legal authority (except a State DMV maybe) to recreate or create a vin tag. DMC had that authority vested in them and they no longer exist. This is serious stuff. If you have a car and the authorities think your vin plate is not authentic then you do not have a registerable car, just a pile of parts that happens to look like a car that cannot be driven on a public road! That plate and the paperwork that goes along with it are what makes it a legal car. If any of it is questionable ie, tampered with, then the car is suspect. Just imagine the scenario where someone steals a car and changes the vin tag. Being easy to do a person might think he could get away with it. This is why it is so serious. It is like forging a title and the penalties involved are big time. As a collector piece it is OK but don't even think of trying to use it on a car in place of what you have. This is THE reason there will never be anymore new Deloreans, all the vin #'s that were assigned are all there will ever be. Each if us owns our particular vin # and no one can create anymore (at least not legally).

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:51:32 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Water pump and internal water pipe removal

Andy,

Thanks for the advice! I did exactly as you said with the Y-pipe bolts and they came out no problem, none broken. Do you (or anybody
else) know if this is safe to do for the water pump bolts. I haven't tried it yet on them because I wasn't sure about whether or not putting the flame to those bolts would damage the block around it. I have tried loosening them with a 1/4" drive ratchet to avoid snapping them, but they haven't budged. I'm quite worried about breaking one of them. Anybody have any more advice on how to approach the water pump bolts? Thanks all!

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 01:09:27 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Now is cbl vs P J Grady

I have not been responding to any posts cbl (Claude Landi) has been putting up. My responses usually get bounced by the moderators and anyway it keeps the thread going longer than it should. I am compelled to have to answer this one though. I have been in contact with several people off-list who wondered why we let him say these kinds of things and not even try to refute them. First of all Claude DID have several Deloreans and a LOT of used parts. Rob Grady bought it all from him.
These facts are NOT in dispute. What IS in dispute is his continuing to bad-mouth Rob after selling him all of his stuff. Now he is questioning the legitamacy of P. J. Grady calling itself a Delorean Dealership. What all of us should really ask is "Who is Claude?". What knowledge, credability, and credentials does he have? As a point of interest he no longer owns any Deloreans and if he has ANY parts then he held out because Rob was supposed to get ALL of his stuff. It would seem he has some kind of personal vendetta and uses the DML to continue it. He got so bad that he was thrown off the DMC Forum and that is why it is now a moderated List! He is bad-mouthing Rob on the Bricklin Forum! It seems this guy has no life except to target one of the Delorean's oldest and most reputable vendors!
 I vote that the moderators do not accept any more posts from cbl unless it is very general and not directed at any particular person.
If it was up to me I woud just bounce him totaly but as we have seen in the past he just comes back with aliases.

-

>   No disrespect,but how did a Chevy dealership,evolve,down to being
> just a Delorean only repair shop,and was the business handed down from
> father to son,which is nice,But "still" not  "scratch started"
> by the present owner, basically what I am trying to say, unlike DMCH
> (and others)which was(were) started from a dream and a major financial
> risk from the, and by the owner(s),from the get go as a Delorean only
> business,but from what I am understanding  from your post your
> business evolved down from a  National chain Chevy Dealership/DMC
> Dealership,down to a Northeast Delorean repair shop.Was the DMC
> fallout a cause of this? What happened to the Chevy part of the
> dealership,or is that part still in business.Technically you can't be
> a DMC dealer,if the manufacturer is no longer in business,otherwise my
> local "ex" DMC Dealer(Gengras Motors which is still in business) can
> claim the same thing, but the understanding
of your posting is understood ,as the last of the original sellers,that did Not give up on the DMC car.

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:57:33 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Raising the seat height

Ok, I'm throwing in my two cents here. No one has mentioned using tubular steel to raise the seat up. A piece of 2" or 3" square tubular steel, 14"
long, under each rail, will allow the original studs to mount to the tubing and then new studs or bolts can be fashioned to anchor the tubing to the floor. This will now allow crash forces to be transmitted back down to the floor.

Dave Sontos

Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 01:13:52 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Dave, You might want to check with DMCH on this. While, making up a totaly new VIN number is probably illegal if not registered by the Auto manufacturer. Replacing a damaged or lost tag should be perfectly fine as long as it has the same number as the other tag and title issued to the vehical. Btw, when Houston acquired the factory parts inventory they also acquired the machine that stamped the VIN tag's along with boxes of blank door sill and dash plates. I have a blank door tag myself just for collector reasons though.
I imagine If someone wanted to replace one of their ID plates DMCH would make them a new replacement one. In this case the person would send DMCH the old tag to be remade and they would most likely distroy the old one.  The dash tag on my car is painted flat grey to blend into the dash. I am guessing the reason for this was to reduce reflection glare on the windshield. IE the HUD effect.  Also the color of the metal of the blank dash tag makes me think it is Aluminum as it has a whiter than normal appearence than SS although i am not 100% on that. I have a set of the Remade SS decal kits and I recall comparing the look of those with my blank VIN plate and they were not the same material.
My Blank Door VIN tag Is Aluminum and that materal looks Identical the the blank Dash tag in the Picture file.

Dennis

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 19:31:14 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

 Dave,

Glad to hear that my advice worked for you too.  If I  remember, I think I just tapped on my water pump bolts with a hammer a few times  before loosening and just gave them the old heave-ho.  I know a couple of  people who have broke one or more of these bolts and I am under the impression  that if you break one of them, the other two or whatever are sufficient for  keeping the pump in place.  None of mine broke by the way.  I think  there is less risk for these compared to the Y-pipe bolts because there is less  chance for internal thread corrosion due to water/coolant.  And you are  right that high heat in this area could damage the heads (just like anywhere on  the engine).  I would recommend tapping them with a hammer, and then  pounding them just like the Y-pipe.

Good luck!
Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:35:13 -0500
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: before the internet & another N.Y. Times article

Claude,

I tried to reply to your post but my answer was rejected. I was told "We've
been cracking down on personal commentary and this, from anyone else, would
cross the line." Apparently your derogatory post about me was considered
fair and objective. I really like this particular moderator but I don't
think it's fair to allow what some of my friends/customers consider a
personal attack go unanswered and because of this I'll try again. BTW the
moderator would "prefer to kill the topic altogether". He also said two more
"vender bashing" posts from you were rejected in the meantime...how nice! I
wonder who they were both about. Please let me say SOMETHING. Any one who's
interested can find a lot of information about your dealings with me in the
archives and they will easily figure out your motivations. I tried to say
you have an "axe to grind" and explain the reasons but that is what got me
bounced.
Your question is obviously of little interest to the group so I won't bother
to explain the reasons my family sold the franchise in 1982 but anyone
interested could e-mail me personally to find out. I doubt they will because
there are no skeletons in that closet to make it interesting. I also wasn't
handed anything as I started with more debt than assets and worked my way up
from there. I've invested far more than you'll ever know in the DeLorean
marque and resent your insinuations. As far as "evolving down" it would
appear you are more of a Chevy guy than a DeLorean man so perhaps you're on
the wrong mailing list. You don't even own one anyway and your tech advice
and spelling leave a lot to be desired! I know this will really set you off,
as will ANYTHING I have to say, but the moderators will hopefully restrain
you a little more next time. I think your post was personally derogatory and
a thinly veiled attack. I am considering unsubscribing from the DML if your
relentless long term attacks are allowed to continue and I definitely will
if this gets rejected.
I am DMC dealer in same way a used car dealer is as I have a license to sell
cars and have been a DeLorean specialist for a quarter century as of this
coming March. Would you prefer they call themselves "used car vendors" too!
I don't really care for the term vendor because, at least here in New York,
the term is used for primarily for hot dog stands and ice cream trucks!
Maybe you would call them "hot dog dealers" and reserve the term vendor for
purveyors of fine automobiles. Just kidding... I'm trying to lighten things
up with a little humor. I hope it doesn't get me banned the moderator is
cracking down on humor too:)

Sincerely,

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, <rob_at_dml_p...> wrote:

DeLorean One? Actually P.J.Grady predates D 1 and probably everyone
else as we signed on as a DeLorean dealer in the late seventies, when I was
in college, and waited three years before receiving cars for sale in 1981.
We were a Chevrolet dealer at the time and my brother Paul met John Z. at a
dealer sales presentation when the company was trying to enlist
dealers.........
With the demise of DeLorean Cadillac last April we are probably the
only remaining original dealer still selling and servicing these fine old
cars.

[...]

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 02:03:23 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Screen Painting

I plan to paint the screens on the engine cover a metallic silver
color.  Anyone know of any special paint I should use?  Any problems
in doing this, would it make the holes too small and not vent
properly?  As always, thanks for the advice.

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:07:50 -0500
From: "Brian Williams" <contactjuggle_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hello again,

   Thanks for the kind words!  Keep me on the New England Delorean club
mailing list even if the car sells - I'd love to come and see other Ds!

Cheers,
Brian

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:34:04 -0600
From: Matthew Cooley <WHENRWE_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Screen Painting

On 12/30/05, tuxr <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com> wrote:
> I plan to paint the screens on the engine cover a metallic silver
> color.  Anyone know of any special paint I should use?  Any problems
> in doing this, would it make the holes too small and not vent
> properly?  As always, thanks for the advice.

I did this myself a few years ago using regular spray paint in a
rattle can. I saw no problem then or now. If you would like to see
pictures of the final product email me.

Thanks,

Matthew
whenrwe(at)gmail.com

Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 02:52:18 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Just because DMCH has the machine and the plates does not give them
the authority do make repreductions, only the ability. I went through
this in the Chrylsler world. Many vendors can actually make vin tags,
it is the legal part that is the problem. The way most get by is to
attach the new one over the old one or at least have the old one
available to show as proof. On Chrysler products the fender tags are
made of thin sheet metal and after many years they rust and look like
swiss cheese! It is very common for restorers to want to make a "nice"
replacement. The problem becomes worse when you want to add options
that the car never had origionally and they are all on the fender tag.
Doesn't matter on a "beater" but change a "U" to a "V" in the right
place and it can mean THOUSANDS. This is why it is forbidden to even
copy a legit tag. To easy and tempting to "improve" it. In
practicality on a Delorean it doesn't mean much until something
happens like a sale or the car is stolen then recovered and someone
questions the legitamacy of a tag. This is one area to just not touch
to avoid problems. Maybe DMCH can (and does) make repreduction plates.
I am sure they CANNOT create new vins. I also hope for their sake they
recover and destroy the old, damaged, and copied origional plate so it
can NEVER be used on another car. Can you just imagine the problems of
two cars having the same vin #? All it would take is to claim a lost
title so now you have 2, one for each car. They would both have the
same vin # but who's to know?