From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:10 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3057

1. Re: exhaust problem
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Jetronic Test gauges instructions?
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

3. Re: Would you buy?
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Re: factory painted car,
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: factory painted car,
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

6. Re: Raising the seat height
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

7. Re: Cigarette Lighter Short and Arm Rest Removal
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Cigarette Lighter Short and Arm Rest Removal
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

9. Re: Re: factory painted car,
From: alistair vanstone <pastyman_at_dml_talk21.com>

10. Re: Cigarette Lighter Short and Arm Rest Removal
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

11. Re: factory painted car,
From: "Scot Stern" <Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Patrick Swayze's DeLorean - Update
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: exhaust problem
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

14. Three painted DeLoreans
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:19:23 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: exhaust problem

Joe and others -

I just posted some way better pics. Had to dig out the manual for my camera to clear it up.

The head is NOT cracked and the threads look perfect inside the hole.   I
think I will just put it all back together and pray to the DeLorean gods that  it will be OK!!!!

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:19:41 -0800
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Jetronic Test gauges instructions?

Tom,
As others have pointed out, page D02:02 in the Workshop manual shows a diagram of how to hook up a pressure gauge. However, it doesn't really explain what's involved with testing as it assumes you already know how everything works.

I would recommend getting the book "Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management" by Charles Probst (ISBN 0837603005). While it covers most flavors of Bosch mechanical and EFI, it does give good information regarding the K-Jet. It also has decent troubleshooting and theory sections. For only $20 or so, I found it to be well worth it!

Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:02:14 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Would you buy?

Hard to tell what a good price would be without seeing it. We're assuming a lot, but if he's the original owner, and if everything is original and working great and the car is beautiful with literally nothing wrong, $20k-$25k would be my ball park figure.

If it has "a few issues here and there", I'd bet there are a lot more issues just waiting to be uncovered and book it at $12k-$18k depending on exactly what the "few issues" are.

As for "how much to upgrade", if you're smart you'll budget $5k on top of the purchase price. It may only take $2k. It may take $8k. $5k is a great place to start and if you plan on spending that you won't be disappointed. Why such a large gap in these figures? Again, I don't know the particulars of the car. Sure, I could price out all of the "standard upgrades" for you, but you're going to find other little things that need (or you want) to be changed. There are going to be expensive surprises - there always are. And you'll want some toys or little luxuries to add on.

Budget $15k-$20k for the car and another $5k for upgrades/misc and you're almost guaranteed to come out of the deal smiling. Anything less and you'll be grumpy when your new toy keeps pecking away at your wallet. It's really a matter of how much enjoyment you'll get out of the car; if you think you can swing a $10k deal and a few hundred bucks for upgrades, chances are within a year you'll hate the "piece of crap" and another dream will be lost. But if you're prepared with a good budget, able to throw a thousand here, a thousand there and not miss a beat because it was all in the plan to begin with, you'll really "live the dream".

--
- Ryan

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 00:12:09 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: factory painted car,

cbl1739 wrote:

>Check out this ebay auction:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/7vot8
>
>The owner claims it was factory painted,or as he says "Delorean"
>painted.
> THE only Deloreans with any kind of factory authorized paint were the
>Lotus prototype mules,and even those were not painted by DMC.
>Nice "mint" paint for a 24 yr.old paint job.But of course all Deloreans
>came in ONE color bare Stainless Steel.
>
>cbl

The car probably was painted by 'the delorean people'. However 'the delorean people' he's talking about is most likly the dealership he bought it from originally, providing he's being honest about being the only owner. I imagine the paint had nothing to do at all with the factory.  Who knows about what he's claiming about a car show, though from what i've read/heard etc i'm pretty sure the stuff about being an optional color for the next year is complete BS..  Just another case of people on ebay stretching things to flaunt their wares.

VIN# 03209

Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 13:30:35 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Just my opinion, but if it was a "factory" paint job, I think they would have done it up right and painted the inside of the doors.

Ron

Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:44:32 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Raising the seat height

Hi Dave.

The is indeed a very good point.

Rick.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 10:19:09 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Cigarette Lighter Short and Arm Rest Removal

Shannon,

There are six nuts that need to be removed as well a two "sheet metal"
screws, one one each side,  that connect the center console to the radio/ac panel.

The three pairs of 10mm nuts are: 1-under the rear tray which is held in by 2 additional screws, 2- a set in front close to the radio panel and under the shift plate and 3- a pair at the rear of the shift plate close to the cigarette lighter and window switches.

Regarding the cigarette lighter,  take real close look inside it to find the short.

 In a message dated 1/3/06 4:10 am,   From: "birdwell77095" Subject: Cigarette Lighter Short and Arm Rest Removal

Also, how does one remove the central arm rest? I removed the rear
tray and then removed the two 10mm bolts. I removed the front blact
panel around the gear stick but the arm rest seems to be bolted down
in the middle somewhere. I couldn't find screws anywhere keeping it
down.

Shannon
VIN 16113 >>

Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:31:57 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

Hi Shannon,

To remove the center console, you'll have to remove the two screws
from the tray like you did, remove the two bolts under it. Remove the
A/C knobs and screw holding the panel in. Remove the shift knob and
two screws holding the shift plate in. Lift up on the plate, there
should be retaining clips under it. They are hard to get out, but
once out you do not need to reinstall them. Disconnect the rheostat.
Once the shift plate is out, there are four bolts under this. Two in
front near the A/C panel, and two under the front of where the window
switches are. Also, there are two screws holding the center console
in, one on each side in the wheel well, up towards the top behind the
radio. Once everything is removed the center console can be lifted
and pulled back. If you want to remove completely, you will have to
disconnect and remove the window and defrost switches.

Hope this helps,

-Derek #10084

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_u...>

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:55:47 +0000 (GMT)
From: alistair vanstone <pastyman_at_dml_talk21.com>
Subject: Re: Re: factory painted car,

It doesnt look finished to me without the doors being done.

  It would be really interesting to when it was actually painted,the red painted DeLorean I used to own was driven to the factory when it was painted red in Sept 1982,the "bosses" apparently liked it very much and let him drive around the test track.

  Alistair

Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:56:13 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Hi

Its all explained here very well :)

http://retroserver.no-ip.com/deloreanmain.php

Kind Regards

Yorkshire, UK

Subject: Cigarette Lighter Short and Arm Rest Removal

Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:36:42 -0000
From: "Scot Stern" <Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com>

I am not debating the information provided but simply adding some
additional information from memory.  This may have been discussed
before, but I clearly remember that Bank of America ending up owning
a good deal of the final inventory in Southern California and they
apparently decided that one of the problems in selling the cars was
the lack of color.

Apparently, they painted many of the remaining cars.  I personally
saw red and black ones on a lot in San Diego that they had arranged
to be painted.  They were well done and it might be possible that's
where the myth was born.

The information I have provided is by recollection and it may not be
accurate but I am positive that it was B of A that owned a good deal
of the final inventory and I am equally positive that there were a
significant amount of painted Deloreans for sale in San Diego.

Hope this helps.

Scot Stern

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:09:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Patrick Swayze's DeLorean - Update

As of 2002/2003 Patrick Swayze still has & drives his DeLorean!
I found this out by watching/listening to the "Freaks & Geeks" (TV Show) DVD box
set. Jason Segel (Nick Andopolis in F&G) said that while working on the movie
"11:14" ( from 2003 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0331811/ ), Pactrick Swayze
showed up to the set in a DeLorean.

If you have the "Freaks & Geeks" box set & want to know where it appears ... it
is on the commentary track on the 6th DVD (the last), for the very last episode.
'Nick' says this while the family is eating around the dinner table.

Shannon Y

Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:27:34 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

Andy,
  When you put the manifold back on I recommend using a sealer on the
gasket surfaces.  I use a product called Flo-Ex that I get from my
exhaust guy.  It's a thin liquid that is brushed onto the surfaces
before assembly and expands with heat.  I don't know if it's available
non-commercially though...
Another product that I have had good luck with is Acousti-Seal made by
Walker.  It's a thick black goo that you put a thin layer on the
surfaces, then it dries to a medium-hard material that is easy to
clean off later.
  Whatever you use the goal is to stop small leaks from imperfect
surfaces before they can erode away the gasket.  If the manifold and
head have been machined it's not an issue, but if not a good sealant
applied correctly is cheap insurance.

Matt Smith

Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:57:54 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Three painted DeLoreans

For the record, service bulletin ST-02-2/82 states that "DeLorean
Motor Company has test painted three vehicles" - though it is safe to
assume that these cars were not painted at the factory in Northern
Ireland. To my knowledge, no documentation has surfaced to indicate
which VIN's were used for these three cars, or even if they were left
as painted cars when eventually sold.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
Visit www.dmchelp.com for tech advice from the pros who know!
Brought to you by DMC (Texas), PJ Grady, DeLorean Motor Center and DMC
(Florida)