From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 3:49 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3061

1. Re: New Article On John Z, the DMC, and his ownership of LMC
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Radiator
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Re: Re: Struts on eBay
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. RE: Radiator
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: My missfire
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

6. IRS Auction
From: "Chris " <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Soft brake peddle
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

8. Re: BTTF 4 is TRUE
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Re: BTTF 4 is TRUE
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

10. Re: New Article On John Z, the DMC, and his ownership of LMC
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:33:50 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: New Article On John Z, the DMC, and his ownership of LMC

Yes, JZD owned LMC for quite a long time. Profits from the LMC operation were his income over the years while he lived in New Jersey.
Long after DMC collapsed, Roy Nesseth was still traveling up to Utah to keep a check on the plant, and the finances for JZD.

(finally in Texas after a LONG, and horrible trip!)

Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 20:39:03 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Radiator

I've seen an aftermarket 2-core as well, but I wouldn't waste my time on it. The original DMC radiator has very high fin tube density that the aftermarket ones don't. (Look at them side by side!) My personal opinion is that the aftermarket 3-core unit is about equivalent to the OEM in terms of capacity, although since the piping is larger it should resist clogging better. Nobody has every actually tested this in a scientific way that I'm aware of so I'm guessing a bit.

I've also seen a couple of home-made radiators where a shop took an original DMC core and welded (brazed?) up brass side tanks made from sheet metal to replace the plastic ones. Someone must have been pretty desperate to do that, since the aftermarket ones (and the OEM ones for that matter) are not that expensive compared to shop time.

My only complaint with the aftermarket ones is that they sometimes don't fit as well (based on experience of 4 of them, with one being out of square). The real OEMs fit fine, although the last one I bought only lasted 4 years so I'm wondering about how well the plastic tank gaskets are holding up at this age. Maybe a full-service vendor whose installed a bunch of both can comment.
------------
An off-topic point of comparison - in the BMW world replacing the radiator is considered a somewhat-normal maintenance item at 6 years/80K miles. They are aluminum/plastic and the end tank usually fails dramatically. So maybe we don't have it so bad.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:11:01 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Struts on eBay

Don't forget Toby at DPNW (www.delorean-parts.com).

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:03:26 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

That was the previous manufacture before he went out of business. The new company puts the petcock drain plug in it.

From:Johnny Sawyer
Subject: Re: [DML] Radiator

No, there is a thrid version which I have installed.

Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:12:03 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: My missfire

>Thanks Martin....how ever in defense the plug wires arnt marked, the cap is but where the hell is No1.
>  And yes funnily enough i did see the numbering on the rockers covers only yesterday.......sod it. But my w/shop manual is totally wrong!!!!!

Usually if you transpose front/back and left/right, it's spot on. It's a direct copy of the Renault manual, in fact some of the diagrams are obviously renault due to subtle differences in the engines.

>  What sorta advance do u get before knocking?

I've never played with a stock distributor - just set it to 13 and leave it. On our Stage 1&2 engines, I'm running 11.5 or thereabouts and it's 10 on a stock engine - but the igniton curve is different.

>  Basically my car is in good nick...because of the the long time at the coast the ally on the motor is going fury......know of any chemicals or stuff that removes it?

If you can clean it to a smooth surface, I use an aluminium flake paint which is literally aluminium dust in a lacquer of some sort. It goes on really easily and comes right up bright silver. The engine on our front page was done in it.

>  Also how does one get a dash....mine has the dreaded crack almost on the center line.

Either 1) get very lucky or 2) wait for DMC Texas to bring repros out.

>  Do u have a sketch or a drawing of what i can can get made to fix the broken window lifter?
>  Its the plastic elbow guide that was fixed to the inside panel thats broken.....

The main problems witht he window motors are:

1) Metal worm, plastic gear = shredded gear
2) some idiot put the elbow too close to the motor on the wrong (of two) mounts behind the door handle. The replacement metal regulators use the correct one and allow the slider to run in parallel with the window guides. The repeated flexing of the original plastic one is why it breaks.

>i was thinking of a bent metal tube with a bracket brazed on as a fixing point.
>  If u do dhave a sketch would help me to miss out a lot of engineering

The original plastic motors are rubbish. if it breaks, throw it away and buy a replacement one. THEN I/we will help you fit it, as that's a fun job :-)

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 21:13:07 -0000
From: "Chris " <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: IRS Auction

Does anyone know what the winning bid was on this?

http://www.treas.gov/auctions/irs/fwtx_auto_1105.htm

John....did you go?

Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:42:20 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Soft brake peddle

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before hooking it up to the rest of the brake system?

-------------- Original message from Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>: --------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:02:20 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF 4 is TRUE

On 1/5/06, Dan <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

> The thinking might be a BTTF film for a new generation
> might call for a newer car this young generation can relate to.

GAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Marty: "Are you saying... you built a time machine.... out of a Civic?!?!"

Doc: "The way I see it, Marty, if you're going to build a time machine
you might as well do it with some fury. Besides, the 6 foot high
stainless steel wing and the R-type stickers make the flux dispersal--
 Lookout!"

Please, no. Save us all the shame and misery.

Hey, on the flip side, they wouldn't really have to make it a time
machine. Marty could just kick in the NOS and outrun those filthy
terrorists instead of complaining about the car's lack of ability to
outrun a VW bus. But if he did go back in time, he'd have to hit 88mph
while pulling 3Gs in a drift. The time transition sequences would be
interesting, when the bright green neon glow appears under the car you
know he's about to transition.

Also, it would be politically incorrect to have middle eastern
terrorists in a film these days, so they'll have to use some skinny
white guys from northern Idaho. But wait, then how will we tell the
terrorists from the film's heros?!

No, this is just a bad idea all around...

Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 22:44:13 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

The Dukes of Hazzard movie had little or no impact on the price
of Chargers - they were going up well before the movie was made.

-------------- Original message from "John" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>: --------------

Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 23:56:08 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

They also made aircraft Tugs,those weird vehicles you see at
airports,and aircraft carriers,lugging aircraft around.
JZD's grand plan (down the road)was to buy one of the big European
car makers out,I think it was Saab,Hence the need for such a the Big
Plant.

cbl