From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 5:47 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3062

1. Re: Soft brake peddle
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

2. Re: Soft brake peddle
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

3. RE: Radiator
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

4. Re: Idle Seeking and Other Problems....
From: "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com>

5. Re: Cooling fans wont come on!
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. RE: Re: DeLorean headers. J Hervey
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Cooling fans wont come on!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

8. NEED WINDSHIELD
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

9. Re: Re: New Article On JZD, DMC, LMC, and now Saab!
From: Amy Gesch <heartdeloreans_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Thanks for flowers
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

11. Re: Struts on eBay
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: BTTF 4 is TRUE
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Radiator
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

14. Re: BTTF 4 is TRUE
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

15. Upgrading horns.
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Flux Capacitor on eBay...
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

17. RE: Re: Radiator
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. RE: IRS Auction
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. RE: My missfire
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. Re: Re: Radiator
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

21. Re: Radiator
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

22. Re: BTTF 4 is TRUE
From: Josh Keady <joshkeady_at_dml_msn.com>

23. Re: BTTF 4 is TRUE
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. BTTF 4 Movie
From: "gbsdelorean" <gbsdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. RE: NEED WINDSHIELD
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:13:22 -0800
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Soft brake peddle

I did. This was the first time I've bled a dry system (normally just replace old fluid with fresh fluid), so I might not have done it long enough. Wouldn't the pressure bleeder force air out of the master cylinder anyway? If not, I can re-bench bleed it before bleeding the whole system again.

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 00:35:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

You still have air in your brake system. You may not have properly bled the master cylinder. Anyway you have to start there. Make up 2 short tubes, connect them to the outlets, bend them so they go back into the resovoir, and pump until you do not see any air bubbles. NOW you can hook the master cylinder up to the car and bleed the front and rear systems. I like to start with the left front, next is the right front, then the left rear, and finally the right rear. I will do it at least twice, maybe 3 times depending on how much I take out, the color, the dirt, the height of the pedal, etc. You can't overdo it but you CAN underdo it! Always after doing a wheel recheck the resovoir and refill if necessary so you DO NOT draw in any air. NEVER reuse brake fluid, dispose of properly. I also use a 1 man bleeder but I have found the "best" way is to just talk a helper into pushing the brake pedal for a few minutes.

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:36:36 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Radiator

My local radiator shop took a look at the stock unit and offered to simply fab up a whole new unit, 3 row brass with metal tanks.  I think its very possible that other one-off/limited run radiators may be out
there.   In the end their price was to be similar to the in stock units
from the vendors, so I declined.

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 00:31:49 -0000
From: "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Idle Seeking and Other Problems....

To my knowlage the Fuel Mixture has not been tampered with. I am not sure what youmean by 066, but I recieved it from DMC Houston if that helps... Yes all of the vacuum hoses are hooked up to my new WUR.

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:10:04 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling fans wont come on!

First try shorting the two wires that are plugged into the otterstat, IE plug them into themselves. If the fans come on then it is your otterstat. If that does not work try checking the relay, go to www.specialtauto.com for a reference as to which relays are which.  One of the two or both could be your problem. if it is intermittent (as mine was) it is probably the relay. Oh, also make sure that the blue fan fail relay (the one closest to the side of the car) has been replaced by a jumper.  If it has not that is a prime candidate!

Nathan
2277

>   Hey
>   My cooling fans will not come on. They worked perfectly when the
car went into the garage last week. Any advice?

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 18:23:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLorean headers. J Hervey

John, on the subject of leaks, how thinck do you plan
to make the exhaust flanges?  (Thicker = fewer leaks)

 They

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:32:09 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/5/2006 2:15:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,
dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk writes:

Hey
My cooling fans will not come on. They worked perfectly  when the car went
into the garage last week. Any advice? (relay, otterstat  maybe?)

Can someone tell me how to wire up a switch  so I can manually turn them on?
For peace of mind, dont trust my coolant  system at all.

Thomas,

First rule out the otterstat by removing the wires to it and putting them
together while the car is running.  This should cause the fans to come  on.  If
this works then you know the otterstat is bad and needs to be  replaced.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:41:48 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: NEED WINDSHIELD

Hello all,
I'm in need of 1 windshield for my vin 00915a, as I purchased one from
a popular DMC (*******)vendor (out of texas) that sold me a w/s with 3
very noticeable lami seperations in it that wouldn't even pass any
state police inspection, as I tried to talked to any one at the vendors
I got no reply from any one for over 2 weeks so I sent the w/s back. I
was told by the dealer later That I should paint over the lami spots
with flat black paint or try to sell it on ebay, I was also told by
them that out of the 800 left I got the best one in stock, I was also
told that they won't be getting any more til those were sold. WHY THE
HELL WOULD I spend all this money to totally restore my Delorean and
put this piece of Crap w/s in it,I will need a w/s before I can start
my interior so even a good used one would work. I am also looking for 2
other w/s for friends of mine. I would rather have oem before I buy a
FW-541. Please let me know were I can look.or were to turn. I'm still
waiting for my credit card company disputed amount final say.
Thanks,
Lawrence
vin00538m-00915a-1024m-4873a

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 18:37:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Amy Gesch <heartdeloreans_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: New Article On JZD, DMC, LMC, and now Saab!

I'd never heard of anyone (other than GM) express  interest in buying Saab out.  At least it's never been covered in  any discussions at our Saab specialty shop.   Have you got  any more info on this?

  (Was Saab really considered "big" back then?!?!?  Growing  popularity with the so-called "yuppie" crowd, but always more of a  bystander than a big-time player, historically--from my perspective at  least)

  --Amy
  Driver's license, THEN I can work on putting a VIN down here! ;-)

cbl1739 <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
 They also made aircraft Tugs,those weird vehicles you see at
airports,and aircraft carriers,lugging aircraft around.
JZD's grand plan (down the road)was to buy one of the big European
car makers out,I think it was Saab,Hence the need for such a the Big
Plant.

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:47:06 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Thanks for flowers

I would like to thank all of you who sent the flowers & emails
They were thoughtful my wife & I are gratfull to be in your prayers &
thoughts.
Lawrence Lormand

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:59:23 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Struts on eBay

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> I have not purchased struts from that seller, but I took a look at
> their auction listings. The first thing I think of when I see a no
> name brand for less is you're probably going to get what you pay for.
> In this case it's a no name brand for the same price as the tried and
> true struts you'd get from DMCH, Hervey or Grady. I don't know why
> you'd order no name ?? struts off eBay when you can get the real deal
> from a vendor who will stand behind them for the exact same price.

I must correct myself. Turns out for the "infinitysource" eBay price
you get two struts. That same price from the DeLorean vendors gets you
only one strut, or less. My mistake.

Still, personally I would only buy my gas struts from the vendors
because I know the struts I receive from them will be the correct
pressure for their intended use. A previous owner of my D put a pair
of gas struts in my luggage compartment that fit, but were much too
strong. Since this was my first D, I assumed the struts were simply
very new, and that's why it took some much effort to close the hood. I
thought it was normal 'till Dan Botkin looked at the car and told me
that the struts I had in place had much too much pressure, and I was
risking bending my hood! As a matter of fact the use of the incorrect
struts has already exaggerated the portion of my "X" in the stainless
steel directly above where the strut mounts. Is getting no name struts
for half the cost worth risking a $1K+ hood? NO!!

This is my DeLorean, my pride-n-joy. It the last place I'm looking to
cut corners.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 03:30:44 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF 4 is TRUE

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> On 1/5/06, Dan <djdanwilson_at_dml_y...> wrote:
> >
> > The thinking might be a BTTF film for a new generation
> > might call for a newer car this young generation can relate to.
>
> GAAAAHHHH!!!!!
>
> Marty: "Are you saying... you built a time machine.... out of a
Civic?!?!"

I think you're missing my point. A car like a Civic is not what I was
referring to. A Civic in 2005 does not have the same "tarnished"
reputation a DeLorean did in 1985. Making a time machine out of a car
that, even in it's day, was way left of center, then had sort of
"crashed & burned" in the eyes of the public, was campy, and that's
what made using it humorous. Throw in the fact that it was also the
perfect car to pull off the "crashed spaceship" gag, and the use of
the DMC-12 was pure genius. The car was too perfect for the role in
multiple ways. At least, that's my opinion. Use of a Corvette, Trans
Am, or as we have heard, a Mustang, would not have come off as campy
or amusing at all.

My point was, for a contemporary telling of the story they might
consider using a vehicle that this generation is familiar with that is
both unmistakably associated with this era, like the DeLorean was to
the '80s, and currently has a similar reputation to the one the
DeLorean did in '85. Off the top of my head I can't think of such a car.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:28:24 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Thanks everyone for answering my question.

The reason i asked is that i have a metal sided radiator in my car and
wanted to know if it really was a 3 core so i wouldnt have to replace
it.

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 03:50:27 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Actually it DID make a difference. Before the movie a good clone would
go for as much as $30,000. Now they are getting over $44,000! I know,
I restored a 70 Charger that just happened to look exactly like the
one in "Fast and Furious" (without the blower!). After the movie I got
$30,000! Before the movie I would have been lucky to get $25,000.
Movies usually do make a star of the car. BTTF is weird, the Delorean
was in 3 feature movies and it didn't do very much for it's value.
That is an anomaly.

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 04:36:40 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Upgrading horns.

I am sick of people not seeing me or hearing my horn!  I would like to
update the horns and found a pair of 139db horns that draw 15 amps for the
pair.  However, I dont want to do any damage to the stock electronics.  I
would like to know what I need to do to be safe and I am curious what
amperage the stock horns draw.

I am not an expert on electronics so please walk me through it.  I have and
know how to use a multimeter though.
-Alex

Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 23:10:31 -0500
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>
Subject: Flux Capacitor on eBay...

Check out item number 5653527413
[ link here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5653527413 ]

Ummm.... yeah....

- ed

--

1982 DMC-12 [11594]
1986.5 928S

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:52:55 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Radiator

Dave, While were talking about radiators. What do you and the group think
about all aluminum. I can get those done overseas and as you know that's
what Jeg's and Summit sells.

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:42:46 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: IRS Auction

I didn't get to go. If we don't hear I was going to call the IRS man.

Subject: [DML] IRS Auction

Does anyone know what the winning bid was on this?

http://www.treas.gov/auctions/irs/fwtx_auto_1105.htm

John....did you go?

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:54:15 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: My missfire

All the information is listed on my web site under engine tune up at the
bottom of the page.

From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd
Subject: Re: [DML] My missfire

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:41:56 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

This is kind of what we do with ours, but we have a radiator specialist
do it, and he charges very reasonably, seeing as that's all he does! The
side tanks are not brass, but some alloy that's meant for older-style
radiator cores and won't react with anything else in the system, be it
brass, ally or (yikes!) stainless steel. I'm not sure what the alloy is,
but he definitely welds it.The reason we have these done rather than buy
OEM (apart from the obvious being the other side of the atlantic) is
that the new modern cores he puts in are an even higher fin-tube density
than OEM and reckons on 40% better cooling.

I'll repeat myself slightly (but agreeing with Dave) on a previous post.
My #1458 still has an absolutely 100% original cooling system, except
from the coolant bottle. I know I'm an idiot for not changing the hoses
at least, but I'm like the painter who never paints his own house!
Anyway, my car quite happily stood up to 100+ degree heat at LeMans last
year, AC on full blast and the temperature gauge never went above the
level it does on a regular dreary British day :-)

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 11:34:21 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

We do our own radiators on exchange, but so far have all stayed in the
UK. However, for a while, it seemed that every radiator I took off, or
got back in exchange (which all fitted perfectly) were all unique,
usually in the side tanks - which is exactly the bit we have made on our
new ones. Some have longer tanks that are cut down and re-welded to fit,
others have had a different profile etc. The core's always the same, and
that's the important bit! I've only had one 3-row one through my hands
and it was the only one that leaked like a seive, but I'm sure it's
coincidence. It was a sod to fit by comparison :-)

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 07:10:49 -0800
From: Josh Keady <joshkeady_at_dml_msn.com>

While I agree that it'd be pretty neat to see another DeLo in there,
remember that the one in the trilogy was destroyed, so they're going
to have to find another one somehow... perhaps the plot can tie in to
that?  The first 20 minutes of the movie can just be Marty carefully
inspecting cars, looking for doors whose torsion bars are properly
adjusted, looking for wiring systems that are updated, fascias that
don't droop, etc. etc.  Maybe if someone sweet-talks Mr. Fox now, the
first 20 minutes can just be him wandering around a DCS, mumbling
about 88 miles per hour and cracked binnacles.  Make the whole thing
sort of an art-house movie :-)

Here's hoping that IF that movie ever gets made, it's a good one.

Your humble lurker,

Josh

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:41:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I agree with this..  But with Indiana Jones 4 and
Jurassic Park 4 in the works, I have little doubt that
there will be a BTTF4 someday if they think they can
make a few bucks on it.

Indiana Jones 4 (I hear) has been delayed because
Harrison Ford demanded his girlfriend get a part in
the movie.  When they wrote her in as his GRAND
DAUGHTER, Ford rejected the script!  LOL!

This also delayed Jurassic Park 4, because they will
be shot simultaneously (Both Spielberg) to reduce his
expenses.

--- Dan <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Personally, as much as I truly love the films, I'd
> be happy if they
> didn't take a shot at a 4th. The chances of it
> living up to the fan's
> wide ranging expectations and also living up to the
> quality of the
> others is probably pretty slim. If Gale, Zemeckis
> and even Spielberg
> are not all somehow associated, FORGET IT!

Yahoo! DSL  Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:51:06 -0000
From: "gbsdelorean" <gbsdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: BTTF 4 Movie

(Moderators Note: And with this posting, I think we'll close the BTTF 4 debate until someone has actual facts to work with. Marty, this weeks moderator)

I thought about opening a poll about MJF & the movie:

Do you believe there will be a BTTF 4 movie?
1. Yes
2. No
3. I'll have to check with the tooth fairy

But that would probably get a lifetime suspension...

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:37:02 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: NEED WINDSHIELD

Lawrence,
I was contacted by another manufacture of windshields for the Delorean
overseas, but by the time I pay the freight and exchange rate the cost would
be more than the popular DMC (*******) vendor. He also wanted a 50 piece
minimum.