From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:52 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3063

1. RE: Idle Seeking and Other Problems....
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. luggage compartment strut replacement
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Motor Trend Classic
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Dash & Door VIN plates (was: Does anyone else have one of these?)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

5. Re: Upgrading horns.
From: "John" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Radiator
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. Re: Upgrading horns.
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Upgrading horns.
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: New Article On JZD, DMC, LMC, and now Saab!
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

10. Re: Re: New Article On JZD, DMC, LMC, and now Saab!
From: George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: luggage compartment strut replacement
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. Re: NEED WINDSHIELD
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

13. Re: luggage compartment strut replacement
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. Re: Radiator
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

15. Re: Dash & Door VIN plates (was: Does anyone else have one of these?)
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

16. Re: NEED WINDSHIELD
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. Re: NEED WINDSHIELD
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

18. DCS STATS ARE BACK
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

19. Wheel Styles
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. DeLorean Directory and Webring
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>

21. Starting Problem Continued
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. RE: Upgrading horns
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. RE: Upgrading horns
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Re: luggage compartment strut replacement
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:44:45 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Idle Seeking and Other Problems....

Look on top of the WUR at the Bosch part number. It should be 0 438 140 066.
We offer tech help with the parts we sell all the way through the job so you might want to contact them for the final adjustments. A lot of people will tell you to not mess with the fuel adjustment system, but you have to consider ware on the parts over the 25 years. That's why tweeking may need to be done. 1/8" turn could make a big difference in the way it operates.

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:37:18 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: luggage compartment strut replacement

I just purchased a pair of struts for the hood/luggage compartment from DMCH, but they did not come with instructions on how to remove and install. I downloaded the "Strut Removal/Replacement" .pdf file from the Tech Notes section of the DMCH Web site, but the directions it contains are incomplete.

I have almost ZERO wrench turning experience or ability, so I can't take "some" information and run with it. Still, changing out struts seems like something I should be able to do with some solid detailed direction from someone or somewhere. Can anyone point me to a complete tech article explaining how to do this, since I was not able to find one, or list all the steps and the tools I need here. I'd hate to bother a mechanic with this.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:46:48 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Motor Trend Classic

All,

FYI: Be sure to check out the up coming issue of Motor Trend Classic magazine (available
tomorrow) ... my Delorean will be included in the "Your Classics" section.

Enjoy!

- Geoff

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:52:58 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Dash & Door VIN plates (was: Does anyone else have one of these?)

I refrained from responding at that time because there was so much else going on here with the holidays and my move to a new home. Now that the dust has settled...

We don't have any blank dash VIN plates, period. We don't have the machine to stamp the numbers on VIN plates, dash or door.

The original part number for the dash VIN plate was 106113 and was aluminum with black logo as the one you have. According to the drawing for that part number, Engineering Change 2318 deleted the logo and
2533 deleted all the text. I have not been able to locate the actual copies of those ECA's, just the references from the drawing. The ECA usually gives some description as to why the change was made, hence their importance in this regard. We have thousands of these ECA's, but these have not turned up among them yet.

The paper drawings for the 106113 show the then current revision with no markings on it at all, but the microfiche copies show the previous styles. I'll post scans of those up in the DMCHelp.com forums later today. The drawings also indicate that the material used is aluminum, not stainless.

A later ECA changed ALL part numbers for parts with more than one color, including the dash VIN plate. 110450 was assigned to the grey VIN plates, and another number (110451, IIRC) was assigned for tan ones. The black one was either changed at that time to 108234 or remained at that number from an as yet undiscovered change.

We *do* have several thousand blank door VIN plates. There were two different varieties, 105196 and 110573. The only difference that I can see is the weight ratings changed from 3180/1244/1936 to 3244/1286/1958. Of the two, we appear to have only the earlier style.
My theory is that most if not all of the 'spares' of the later style were used by Consolidated International when they "re-VIN'd" all the remaining 82 models as 83 models.

I've never seen a blank VIN plate like Patrick's, and only seen imprinted ones on a very small handful of very early cars. Last year we had VIN 575 here for service and it had a plain black dash VIN plate.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
Visit http://www.dmchelp.com for tech advice from the pros who know!
Brought to you by DMC (Texas), PJ Grady, DeLorean Motor Center and DMC
(Florida)

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:56:37 -0000
From: "John" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Upgrading horns.

Look in the files section for the article titled: "Twin Pair Air Horn Modification"

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> I am sick of people not seeing me or hearing my horn!  I would like
to update the horns and found a pair of 139db horns that draw 15 amps for the pair.  However, I dont want to do any damage to the stock electronics.

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:35:12 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Radiator

It would be very price-dependent. DMCH is selling OEM units for $179 now, and the common aftermarket ones are, what, $275-325-ish?

The main advantage of aluminum is weight, which is a big deal to the manufacturers now. I'm not sure enough DMC owners would value that enough to make it worth your while, unless somehow it is priced the same or cheaper than the current solutions.

Again for comparison - the OEM BMW aluminum/plastic radiator I just bought was $165. An aftermarket all - aluminum unit is over $600 (made in USA). At that difference, the only people buying them are the racers and folks with superchargers/turbos, because the cooling capacity is quite a bit better.

Now - if you can come up with an Aluminum replacement for a price similar to the current 3-core brass, count me in. Otherwise  . . . .
it's gonna be a small market.

> Dave, While were talking about radiators. What do you and the group
think about all aluminum.

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:16:02 -0800 (PST)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Alex,

The horns on the Delorean are adjustable, as long as
they are not damaged or weather worn.  Contact me off
line and I can walk you through a simple procedure to
determine if you really need new horns.

Mike   TPS   1630

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:42:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Alex,

Are the horns in your car the original 25 yr old ones?
 the reason I ask is because my horns were getting
weak and eventually failed.  At the DMCH open house I
ordered a pair of NOS hors on special and they are
plenty load.  IF you would rather go the other route
though you can.  Try hooking up the new horns and see
if they work.  IF not try starting the car nad then
see if the horns work.  A local owner here in  San
Diego upgraded his horns but his horns only get enough
current if the car is running.  IF the horns still do
not work, then you will need to use a relay.
IF you have any questions about how to hook up the
relay, let me know but ytry the other suggestions
first

-Chris

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:32:44 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: New Article On JZD, DMC, LMC, and now Saab!

I read a letter that I had found,somewhere on the Internet,I think it
was,on EBay(I downloaded it somewhere in one of my hard drives,when I
come across it I will post it) that JZD wrote,in a memo,written and
signed by JZD,his intention,if things worked out,with the DMC
car,that his goal was to acquire,one of the European car makers,I
just am not 100% sure which one,but almost positive it was Saab,or
possibly Subaru,but NOT Volvo,or Porsche,Mercedes or Fiat.
cbl

  --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Amy Gesch <heartdeloreans_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

> I'd never heard of anyone (other than GM) express  interest in
buying Saab out.  At least it's never been covered in  any
discussions at our Saab specialty shop.   Have you got  any more info
on this?

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:48:26 -0800 (PST)
From: George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: New Article On JZD, DMC, LMC, and now Saab!

Wanna know something interesting?  I'm constantly
getting boxes that say "LMC Truck" on them when I'm
THE LMC.    George D.

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 00:14:40 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: luggage compartment strut replacement

OK this one I can answer.  At the barrel end of the sturt there is a
clip you have to remove, it holds the strut to the bearing.  I usually
use a small screwdriver or a pick to remove the clip.  Once that clip
is off, you can normally pull the strut off, if it won't come off by
pulling, it's time for the rubber mallet, hit the strut softly as
close as possible to the ball joint.  Once that end is off the other
end should pop off without much force.

If the strut won't come off with light blow hammer force, hit it with
some PB Blaster of equiv, in the ball joint socket, wait 20-30 minutes
and try again.  It will come off, it's only a spring fit, the clip
just locks the spring.

And when installing the new ones you really don't have to remove the
clip, it only works one way.

Bernie

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 00:32:49 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: NEED WINDSHIELD

Doesn't a Lotus Esprit windshield fit the DeLorean?  Might not have
the DMC label on it, but I thought I read where it would fit.

Bernie

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 00:51:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Why don't you just call DMCH and talk to Warren? This is a simple
enough procedure and he could explain it over the phone. That is
called customer service and is included in the price you paid for the
struts. Before you call you should invest in a set of metric wrenches
(and maybe some band-aids).

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 01:39:48 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I have found the cooling for the 3 row replacements and the 2 row
OEM to be about the same also. However, aluminum should be much more
efficient. What would one cost? Would you spec it to provide some
increased cooling capacity?

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 02:39:42 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

That brings up another question,were the vin plates affixed,BEFORE
the body joined the frame-Hense- no vins on the frames,ramdon
frames/drivetrains met/joined onto Vin'ed Black bodies,also Why was
my "ex" Delorean picked to have that rare vin tag(vin 570),or was
mine just the last one with one of those tags.
cbl

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 02:59:53 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Lawrence,

From what I was told a early 80's Lotus Esprit windshield should fit,
(measure it up first to make sure)if not,when I was restoring
Deloreans I bought two aftermarket windshields,(one went on vin
16686),the other went to Grady,so give him a call,he might still
have it, they were still making aftermarket ones for a while,but I do
not think,they are still making them.
cbl

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_n...>

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 03:04:32 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

hi all

yes these are available in the UK. Remanufactured.

i am buying one shortly for my early vin, however the integral
antenna one is not available. theirs will fit all years though.

not sure how much to ship to the US.

Regards

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 22:11:36 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS STATS ARE BACK

WELL the first set of stats are here I ran a  quick check so there may be one
or two more but so far these are the States or  provinces or country we have
represented already

Alberta, NE,NJ,PA,GB,MO,FL,WI,IL,WA, MI,NY,CA,AZ,OH AND AL.

SO FAR THAT IS 14 STATES AND TWO OTHER COUNTRIES.

Registration is doing well and remember the tower rooms are sold out  and it
looks like the $114 rooms will sell out next.

That's it for now

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 03:27:36 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Wheel Styles

Shannon Yocom reminded me today of our discussion regarding the three
distinct wheel styles and colors used on the DeLorean during
production. I happen to have some of each in the basement so I whipped
up a quick info page to show the difference.

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/wheels.html

Check your wheels - it's amazing how many cars have mismatched sets and
the owners don't know it. I believe that this is described in a service
bulletin but I have not looked it up again to check.

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 22:42:36 -0500
From: "Dave Stragand" <dave.stragand_at_dml_forwardlook.net>
Subject: DeLorean Directory and Webring

Hi All,

I am the editor for the DeLorean category on DMOZ, the open directory of
web sites which is the basis of many web directories such as Yahoo!  If
you would like to add your DeLorean site, please go to
http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Autos/Makes_and_Models/DeLorean/ and click
the 'Suggest URL' link at the top, and I will get you added to the
directory.

Likewise, I also am the editor of the DeLorean webring, and can add you
there as well - the link is
http://x.webring.com/wrman?ring=dmc12&addsite

Thanks!

-Dave Stragand

VIN #05927

http://www.projectvixen.com <http://www.projectvixen.com/>

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 04:58:57 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Starting Problem Continued

OK let me describe my issue:

When starting cold or hot my car will fire up to about 1000 rpm and
immediately die most of the time.  It will take between 1 to 4 more
attempts before the engine will fire up and continue running.  On
the rare occasion that it starts on the first time it will fire up
to 1500-2000 rpm and settle to 1000 and keep running at a good
steady idle.

On the final attempt to start (when the engine keeps running)  the
car will fire up and bog down immediately like it is going to die
(as previously) then it will suddenly sputter and come to life,
revving up to 1500-2000 rpm then settling to idle at 1000rpm like
everything is fine.

Is there a specific part that kicks in, allowing the car to start
instead of bogging down and dieing? I was thinking either the idle
speed motor or control pressure regulator. Perhaps dirt in the
screen in the regulator?

I am still waiting for my shop manual to be sent to me...

I am assuming that this can not be a fuel pressure issue as fuel is
ready and waiting when I crank the engine (it fires up and dies, no
endless cranking ever) Any ideas? Is this as clear as mud?  A good
puzzle anyway....

Thanks for any help

Nathan

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 05:22:49 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

"Look in the files section for the article titled: "Twin Pair Air Horn
Modification"

John
#7009"

Unfortunately, all that shows me is pictures of horns under the car.  I am
curious how the relay is added to the horn / hornswitch.
-Alex

#6453"

The stock 25 year old horns on my car sound like they are working loudly.
They are as loud or louder than all the other stock deloreans I have heard.
  I just want some real LOUD sounding horns.

From my understanding if you just hook up louder horns and they draw too
much current (even with car on) you can fry your wires in the steering
column/horn switch.  I dont want this to happen.  I read in past postings
that this happned to, "thereallasvegas".  I am confused on how to set up the
relay.  Do you run all new wiring from the fuse box to the steering column?
Or is it from the steering column to the horns?  Where does the relay go?
Is there anyway to set this up without taking the steering wheel off?  These
are the questions that torment me. :)  Does anybody have pics of the relay
installed?

Chris or others, if you can walk me through the relay set up I would really
appreciate it.
-Alex
mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com

Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 06:08:38 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Dan,

You can find me in the database on the AZ-D forum. Give me a call in
the morning (I will be up at 8am MST) and I can walk you through the
removal of the strut. Or you can head over here, and I can do it for
you.

Sean
3372
AZ-D