From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 3:46 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3066

1. Re: Dash & Door VIN plates
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Luggage Rack
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

3. Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: NEED WINDSHIELD
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

5. Re: Wheel Styles
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

6. Interior Lights...and light switch
From: "rickmichaels" <rickmichaels_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Luggage Rack
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. Re: NEED WINDSHIELD
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

10. Left Front Quarter Panels
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

11. Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

12. Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

13. Blueprints?
From: "supremeadmiralsenn" <AdmiralSenn_at_dml_flbb.net>

14. Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. Canadian Serial Numbers
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

16. Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Luggage Rack
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Luggage Rack
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 05:23:05 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Dash & Door VIN plates

My thoughts exactly Stan. I only wonder if it would eb possible to reproduce Patricks plate since it is already blank, and then just stamp out our existing vin number on it.

It is just so much better looking than the flat black plate we have now.

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, delorean_at_dml_n... wrote:

> I don't have the Parts Manual with me right now, but I'm quite sure
that the
> dash VIN plate shown in the manual is the one with the DMC logo and
N. Ireland

______________________________________________________________________>
   From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_d...>

Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:10:32 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Luggage Rack

NOS 20+ year old off the shelf parts just like everything else at DMCH.

Mark V

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 05:27:23 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank

You don't need to drain the tank to change the accumulator. I changed mine with a full tank this last summer.

Just a little gas in the line, and in the old accumulator, you won't drain the tank like you would think. The fuel would need to travel up through the pump, and through the lines for that to happen.

At current prices you may want to even recapture the gas in the old accumulator and reuse it as it holds a good amount of gas. :-)

Just pull the old one, change the old nasty lines, and install the new accumulator, no draining required.

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> Group,
>
> I am trying to siphon all the gas out of the tank to replace the
fuel accumulator.

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:34:58 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: NEED WINDSHIELD

Given the nature of the item in question, it's some thing that does make sense to have remanufactured over here than try to get one shipped over.
They're more expensive than from DMCH, but our manufacturer guarantees them when delivered, and are shipped directly from their stock in the UK. They're made by Pilkington and are run off in batches of 10. only in Bronze with Bronze top tint though, not green. But I can't work out why some D's have green screens anyway considering all the side glass is bronze.

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 01:00:44 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Styles

Chris,

>I know one of my rear wheels has two indents machined in the  fins for
>the valve stem, one right next to the other. Since my other  rear wheel
>is normal I assume it was caused by a similar QC error.

That sounds really interesting (in a "DeLorean nut" kind of way).  Can you post a pic?

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:10:30 -0000
From: "rickmichaels" <rickmichaels_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Interior Lights...and light switch

When you open the doors on the D are the 2 interior lights supposed to come on?  Mine do not and I've never thought to ask or look in anothers car.  Only my door and engine bay lights come on...Is this
true for all Deloreans?   Also has anyone found a good way to stop the
door light and buzzer switches from sinking into the dash vinyl?  Mine is bad enough to turn the "door ajar" light on while I'm driving.

Thanks!

Rick

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 06:28:22 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Correction.  The siphon pump tube was inserted into the fuel sender access hole, not fuel accumulator.

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:55:48 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

There are less than 100 of the NOS luggage racks available. When they are gone, it is very unlikely that reproductions will be made. The original manufacturer of the luggage racks when out of business several years ago. They would be very expensive to re-make, and in order to get that cost down, the quantity would have to go way up.
It's taken 25 years to sell down to this quantity, having another 500 of them on the shelf is not that appealing... :-)

James

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:27:29 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Hi John

yes no problem, the company is near me.

check out www.uroglas.com

they ship overseas i think according to their site.

 i am about to order one, if there are a few of us i wonder if they will offer discount?.

cost in the Uk is 247.93...an excellent price anyway.

i asked them regarding the built in antenna and they said at present it is not possible...(i assume would cost too much to set up unless i suppose their is enough demand.)

Regards

by the way John the parts i ordered from you a while back arrived ok.
must have been stuck at customs.

thanx.

> Steve, Can you let me know. I don't remember the manufactures
name, but he was in the UK.

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:55:45 -0500 (EST)
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>
Subject: Left Front Quarter Panels

Hi everyone,

  Just saw one of these NOT sell on Ebay for over $1000.  The reserve was not met. Am I to assume that there are no more of these parts?

  Pit Mike

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:46:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I don't know that there is an actual "weight limit" on the trunk. I
would suspect that 220 is either near or over the limit though. I am
170 and I hear everthing creak. It can be done without getting into
the trunk. Use a milkbox or something similar to stand on and reach
over the right side fender. Use a fender cover or a towel. Don't try
getting all the gas out of the acccumulator. You don't have to empty
the tank to replace the accumulator either unless you want to clean
the tank out which is a good idea anyway. Use safety goggles and keep
a pan under the accumulator as you remove it. You can also wrap a rag
around it to help contain any spilt fuel. Work in a well ventilated
area. Remove the fuel pump and siphon directly out of the tank. Be
VERY CAREFUL not to bend the "hard" lines at the accumulator. It is a
big deal to replace them if you twist them up.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> Group,
>
> I am trying to siphon all the gas out of the tank to replace the
fuel accumulator.  So I
> inserted a bulb shaped hand operated siphon pump into the fuel
accumulator access hole
> and started pumping.  Nothing came out.  Gasoline is definitely
there and I can smell it.
> The gas is fresh and I have 1/2 tank according to the fuel gauge.
I've tried the siphon

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 18:21:58 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

I was 215 lbs at a time when I crouched in the trunk to clean the fuel
tank.  Just keep your feet spaced near the corners (where it is the
strongest), and you should be fine.

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:12:14 -0000
From: "supremeadmiralsenn" <AdmiralSenn_at_dml_flbb.net>
Subject: Blueprints?

I've been looking for some good orthographic shots of DMC's for a
while now. I found some on the dmcnews main page, in the various
technical documents available, but they aren't very consistent. It
looks like only one of them was actually made from a blueprint or
other orthographic image, and it isn't suitable for what I need.

I don't know why I never thought of this before, but do any of you
folks over at DMCH/F have any kind of technical drawings of the front,
side, and top of a De Lorean? If not, I can make do with what I have,
but I'd like my work to be somewhat accurate.

Thanks in advance.

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:55:25 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

Steve wrote:

>Group,
>
>I am trying to siphon all the gas out of the tank to replace the fuel accumulator. Thanks.
>

>Steve
>VIN#04421

It seems like your talking about the fuel pump instead of the
accumulator.  The pump is in the tank. The accumulator is in the frame
roughly in the exact center of the car.  To my knowledge you shouldn't
have to drain the tank to change either. Though if your replacing a fuel
pump, it would probably be best to give the tank a good cleaning while
your in there.  As far as draining the tank, one of the easiest thing's
i've seen is unhooking the fuel pump output and adding a length of hose
running to a container, then just power the pump and let it drain the
tank. Though this would only work if your not replacing a dead pump in
the first place. :)

VIN# 03209

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:58:15 -0500 (EST)
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>
Subject: Canadian Serial Numbers

So the Canadian cars all have VINs with 170....

  Any idea how I could find out how many of these there actually were and if they were 1983 DMC-12s only?

  Pit Mike

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:58:41 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Steve,   Why are you trying to syphon gas out of the tank it is not necessary to do that.

The only thing you need to do is pinch off the soft rubber 1/4 inch fuel hose coming out
of the bottom end of the accumulator. A small visegrip works good for this. That line is
the low pressure return back to the tank if the accumulator diaphram ruptures.  You also
have a 1/4 or 6MM bolt  with some smooth shank on to instert in the end of the hose as a
plug. You can retighten the hase clamp to secure it temporarily.  The other 2 lines one
ridgid and one high pressure nylon, will drain a small amout of fuel until the line is empty.
Don Steger recommends spraying some WD-40 on the hose fittings prior to reassembly.
He says, it helps reseal the ridgid hard line. Be sure you start the car before you let it back
down so you can check for leaks.

Dennis

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 23:01:20 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Cecil,

 They still have a small quantity of NOS ones at DMCH. What I recall James saying is that
when they are gone they're gone!  They will not be reproduced. At least not by them . The
demand is way to low to make it worth while. After that you would have to look on ebay
and the secondary market too find one. Most people that have, them rarily use them. After
all how many did you see in use at the DCS shows. I personally have mine just because it
was an option for our cars and did not what to be left without the chance to have one if
the stock ever ran dry. I bought 2 of them years ago CHEAP  from KAPAC and they are
NOT for sale.  I have 1 car at this time but bought the 2nd if I ever bought a 2nd car. I just
wish I would have bought the ski rack adapter back then when they could still be had. Now
, they are a very rare option.

Dennis

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:15:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

Is there a photo of this thing anywhere?