From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 9:48 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3067

1. Everything else (was: Re: Luggage Rack)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

2. Front bumper problem
From: "dadoc2791" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>

3. You know you are a Delorean nerd when...
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Luggage Rack
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: Luggage Rack
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. RE: NEED WINDSHIELD
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. RE: Left Front Quarter Panels
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. Re: Luggage Rack
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. Re: Left Front Quarter Panels
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. Automatic with a high pitch hum when above 45%
From: "carpenter12740" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com>

11. Game Show Network Documentory: The Crash of John Delorean
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com>

12. Re: Re: NEED WINDSHIELD
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

13. Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Reproduction windshields
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

15. On a lighter note
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Re: Wheel Styles
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

17. Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: Luggage Rack
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Re: Dash & Door VIN plates
From: delorean_at_dml_netcom.no

20. RE: Luggage Rack
From: "Stuart Nicholls" <stuart_at_dml_emagineproductions.co.uk>

21. Re: Automatic with a high pitch hum when above 45%
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

22. Re: Game Show Network Documentory: The Crash of John Delorean
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

23. Re: Luggage Rack
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

24. Re: Automatic with a high pitch hum when above 45%
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:19:46 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Everything else (was: Re: Luggage Rack)

Mark is speaking in very broad, general terms here.

Generally speaking, if it is unique to the DeLorean, it is a NOS or rebuilt part. There are exceptions to this rule, however, and some that quickly come to mind include:

Tank senders
angle drives
brake and clutch master cylinders
seat covers
pull straps
shift boots
window regulators
speedo cables
rubber/plastic fuel system parts
weatherstripping

These parts are reproductions of the original DeLorean parts, and there are many others as well.

Many consumable parts that we have are new stock that we purchase here in the states or import from other countries. Some examples of these
include:

hoses
spark plugs
plug wires
fuel pumps
oil filters
oil senders
relays and circuit breakers
brake pads
brake discs

These parts are identical or improved versions of the original DeLorean parts, and there are many others in our inventory, as well.

Recently we had a Mustang enthusiast visit our Texas facility, and he was amazed at the quantity of NOS parts available, and was dismissive of those who take the stand that NOS is a bad thing. Indeed, he remarked, if the Mustang community had the availability of NOS parts that DeLorean owners have, they would be ecstatic.

DMC (Texas) and DMC (Florida) along with PJ Grady and DeLorean Motor Center are the *only* sources for all your NOS, reproduction, and new parts. One-stop shopping, so to speak.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:39:08 -0000
From: "dadoc2791" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>
Subject: Front bumper problem

When I bought my '81 the previous owner had apparently driven it into a post, dead center, tweaking the front bumper.  It is barely noticable from a couple of steps off, but up close you can see the seam between the stainless and the "rubber" rear edge of the bumper is spread at either end.  Does anyone know of a way to "pull" or restore the normal shape without replacing the bumper?

Thanks in advance for any help

DaDoc

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:37:00 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: You know you are a Delorean nerd when...

You are having lunch in Long Beach and while eating you hear the unmistakable sound of a Delorean accelerating from a stop sign. You jump up to have a look, to the embarrassment of your wife and confirm that it is indeed a Delorean....

Nathan

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:55:37 -0500
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Luggage Rack

Keep in mind that a great use for the luggage rack is for hauling one of the rear tires in case of a flat (and a passenger).  I typically end up using my luggage rack at least once a month, and it has recently been used to haul groceries, Christmas presents, and a child car seat (new in box, not with the child in it).

Couldn't imagine having my D without it.

Michael Babb

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:58:38 -0500
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

I have a few on my site at
http://www.babbtechnology.com/pics/3472images/luggage_rack/  (general
pictures) as well as http://www.babbtechnology.com/Tech/lug_rack/
(installation process)

If you would like more, let me know and I can pop it on and get a few pics.

Michael

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:07:39 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: NEED WINDSHIELD

[MODERATOR NOTE: This has broken down to a private conversation, please take it to private email.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

Steve, I looked at the exchange 1.77 to one and the freight if I bought 10
and it would cost a fortune. So I guess us on this side of the pond will
have to do without.
If you go over there, tell them I'm interested, but I don't know how we
could work it out between exchange and freight.

Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:09:41 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Left Front Quarter Panels

Mike, They are around but most people don't want them until they are needed.
I have 2 good ones in stock.

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 03:40:56 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

Here's a link to photo of it as it appears when it is in use.

http://216.187.73.81/pluggagerack.asp

The mounting points are hinged, so when it's not in use, they fold
over under the louver so they are out of sight. The rack itself fits
flat in the luggage compartment and consumes about 3/4 inch of the
floor height when stowed.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:13:38 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

No more brand new, but plenty of them used.

The story is that they managed to lose all the factory spares in the
process of moving everything from Ireland to Ohio. So - for the first
decade or so they were pretty hard to come by and supposedly sold for
upwards of $5000.

At this point in time, more cars are getting scrapped due to just being
worn out or rusted away underneath than are getting wrecked. Stainless
is forever. Presto - now stainless parts are readily available in the
used-parts market, and the price has come down a lot.

Anyone who needs one can find one.

Dave Swingle

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 03:45:07 -0000
From: "carpenter12740" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Automatic with a high pitch hum when above 45%

I could use some feedback on a noise my D has been making since I
recently bought her.

The car is an automatic with 8,400 miles and seems to make a subtle
high pitched humming when I'm exceeding 45mph or so, only on
acceleration. When I take the foot off the gas, no noise. Tran fluid
always reads normal when engine is warm.  Radio is off so there's no
interference issues.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt Carpenter
5586
az-d.org

Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:28:54 -0800
From: Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Game Show Network Documentory: The Crash of John Delorean

The Game Show Network's new series "Anything to Win" starts this week
with the first of 13 episodes that have been booked by GSN.

On the networks' info page at:
http://www.gsn.com/specific_page_elements.php?link_id=S81 and fifth down
the list of future shows is "The Crash of John Delorean"

Oh oh... sounds like another one of those sensationalistic exposes about
some corporate mogul who would do anything to succeed... lie, cheat,
steal, smuggle drugs... give me a break!

The Hollywood Reporter says of the series:
"..."Anything to Win" will broaden the theme of winning at all costs.
Included are episodes on the blind ambition of California Gov. Arnold
Schwarzenegger, the dogged determination of Johnnie Cochran, the twisted
plotting of Tonya Harding, the devilish psychology of Bobby Fischer and
the desperate maneuvers of John DeLorean, among others."

The producers of the show did send a film crew to the DMC Houston Open
House last year, and we all did give them our fair and balanced account
of the rise and fall of the company. I'm sure some of us conveyed
positive stories of our dealings and relationships with John Delorean.
Let's just hope that they give the late Mr. Delorean the fair and
truthful treatment that he deserves.

But, I'm not holding my breath...

---Jeff---

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 03:33:51 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: NEED WINDSHIELD

This is not true - an Esprit windshield is different than a DeLorean
windshield.

-------------- Original message from "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>: --------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 05:52:32 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Trunk Weight Capacity and Fuel Tank

Interesting.

I thought if the fuel tank isn't drained, fuel will leak continuously
from the low pressure return until the tank is empty.  This assumption
is based on "fuel accumulator is located at the lowest point of the
fuel system."

Did I confuse the issue with something else?

Thanks.

Steve
VIN#04421

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> Steve,   Why are you trying to syphon gas out of the tank it is not
necessary to do that.

> The only thing you need to do is pinch off the soft rubber 1/4 inch
fuel hose coming out
> of the bottom end of the accumulator. A small visegrip works good
for this. That line is
> the low pressure return back to the tank if the accumulator diaphram
ruptures.  You also
> have a 1/4 or 6MM bolt  with some smooth shank on to instert in the
end of the hose as a
> plug. You can retighten the hase clamp to secure it temporarily.
The other 2 lines one

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 06:03:39 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Reproduction windshields

[MODERATOR NOTE: DML readers have waited for years for someone to verify the DeLorean/Esprit windshield rumor with personal experience.  If anyone can proove this with a photograph please post it to the DML website.  Also, if by some miracle an Esprit windscreen can be acquired cheaper than a DeLorean windshield, please tell us all where to look.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

Yes, the Lotus w/s dose fit with the proper step up blocks in the right
places other wise it WILL snap as soon as there is slight pressure,
that's Called a FORGIN W/S part #541, I have a couple of glass
companies checking into them for me.
I also have the email & phone number of the place in england who also
emailed me 1 year ago but, won't ever reply to emails or phone calls
Like the DMC Place in Texas are the in ca-hoots?.
Lawrence

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 00:53:16 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: On a lighter note

[MODERATOR NOTE: Please respond to this via private email only]

I got forwarded flash animation tonight that I thought was funny as
h*ll.  It even has a delorean and a BTTF reference in it. However since
it's quite gory, in a badly drawn flash animation sort of way anyway,
i'm not going to post the link to it here. I'm not sure the mods would
find it appropriate. However. Anyone who wants to see it drop me a line
off list and i'll forward the link to it to you.

VIN# 03209

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 00:49:11 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel Styles

Jake Kamphoefner wrote:

>Chris,
>

>>I know one of my rear wheels has two indents machined in the
>>fins for the valve stem, one right next to the other. Since my other
>>rear wheel is normal I assume it was caused by a similar QC error.
>>

>That sounds really interesting (in a "DeLorean nut" kind of way).  Can you
>post a pic?
>
>Jake Kamphoefner
>1063

Yeah i'll try to remember to do it sometime this week, whenever I
remember which shop that particular wheel is in and I have my camera on
me. :P

VIN# 03209

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 07:20:24 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Yes, this worked fine for me when I swapped out my fuel baffle.

John Hervey's site has a diagram for the RPM relay by-pass used to
run the pump.  My hose was a little short so I had a helper to shut
off the by-pass when my 5-gallon gas can filled up from the tank.

Poured the first can into my wife's Yukon and saved the second
container to go back into the D so I could get it to a gas station
when I was done.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
> >Group,
> >
> >I am trying to siphon all the gas out of the tank to replace the
fuel accumulator. Thanks.

> >Steve
> >VIN#04421
> >

> It seems like your talking about the fuel pump instead of the
> accumulator.  The pump is in the tank. The accumulator is in the
frame
> roughly in the exact center of the car.  To my knowledge you
shouldn't
> have to drain the tank to change either. Though if your replacing
a fuel
> pump, it would probably be best to give the tank a good cleaning
while
> your in there.  As far as draining the tank, one of the easiest
thing's
> i've seen is unhooking the fuel pump output and adding a length of
hose
> running to a container, then just power the pump and let it drain
the
> tank. Though this would only work if your not replacing a dead
pump in
> the first place. :)
>
> --
>
> Chris
> VIN# 03209
> http://badger.brazi.net/index.pl/delorean
>

> --
1/6/2006

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 00:42:58 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

James Espey wrote:

>There are less than 100 of the NOS luggage racks available. When they
>are gone, it is very unlikely that reproductions will be made. The
>original manufacturer of the luggage racks when out of business
>several years ago. They would be very expensive to re-make, and in
>order to get that cost down, the quantity would have to go way up.
>It's taken 25 years to sell down to this quantity, having another 500
>of them on the shelf is not that appealing... :-)
>
>James

Are the luggage racks removable when not in use? I was considering
getting one for my D when I got it back together but I don't want to add
anything that permanently changes it's outward appearance.

VIN# 03209

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 12:27:25 +0100
From: delorean_at_dml_netcom.no
Subject: Re: Dash & Door VIN plates

Hi Joe!
Look at:
http://www.entermyworld.com/store/stainless-steel

These are reproduction labels, originally made available by Mr. Ohlin,(are you
still on the list?)  now offered on Tamirs site. I have a set of these, and the
quality is amazing! Real quality work. I suppose they could make the dash vin
plate in the same material.

Then there's only one problem left. To get the VIN numbers stamped exactly like
the ones in the door, same size, font etc.

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:17:37 -0000
From: "Stuart Nicholls" <stuart_at_dml_emagineproductions.co.uk>

Does anyone have any pictures of a car with the luggage rack fitted? I'd
love to see what one looks like.

Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414

Stuart Nicholls
Emagine Productions
===============================NOW WITH POLECAM
===============================T: 01920 461265
F: 01920 465376
E: stuart_at_dml_emagineproductions.co.uk
W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk
Television - Studio - PSC - ENG - Production - Post Production

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:31:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Automatic with a high pitch hum when above 45%

First thing would be to check the fluid level in the transmission as
per the Workshop Manual. If that is good (not too high, not too low,
and not burnt or gritty), then check the line pressure. If it is low
clean or replace the filter. Also check the final drive fluid level.
It also can't hurt to check the air pressure in the tires.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "carpenter12740" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_m...>

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:45:46 -0500 (EST)
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

Jeff Angwin <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com> wrote: Let's just hope that they give the late Mr. Delorean the fair and truthful treatment that he deserves.

Parts Pit Mike Replies:  Can't imagine that would make for "entertaining" television, I'm afraid.

  Pit Mike

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:47:00 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

They better be. With the rack in place you cannot open the rear
louver.

The rack his held on by 4 thumbscrews that you just unscrew and then
lift the rack off. The 4 attachment clamps pivot down and hide under
the louver when not in use, so with the rack off the car you can't
see anything unless you look carefully thru the side rear windows.

Dave S

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:28:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Matt,

This is interesting as I have a similar problem.  When
I put the accelerator pedal down far whne driving I
also hear a high pitch hum, almost a whistlling sound.
 I would like ot figure out what it is as well.

-Chris  & 6453

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:49:06 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Only if fuel runs uphill. The pickup and the return are both at the
bottom of the tank. The accumulator is at least 3-4 inches above the
level of the bottom of the tank, maybe more. You could get a siphon
action going but it would be pretty easy to choke off. I've never had
any issue with that changing an accumulator though.

Dave S