From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:44 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3068

1. Brass screws on throttle body
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

2. Re: Luggage Rack
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Re: Automatic with a high pitch hum when above 45%
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

4. Re: Luggage Rack
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

5. "Bench Bleeding"
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

6. Re: Brass screws on throttle body
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

7. Re: Luggage Rack
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

8. Re: "Bench Bleeding"
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

9. Re: Brass screws on throttle body
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

10. Luggage Rack
From: "Robert J. Wilson" <rjwilson62_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Dash & Door VIN plates (a cover-up uncovered)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

12. RE: Automatic with a high pitch hum when above 45%
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

13. NEW YAHOO GROUP
From: "alistairmccann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

14. Re: Canadian Serial Numbers
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

15. Re: Reproduction windshields
From: andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Re: Canadian Serial Numbers
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

17. Re: Automatic with a high pitch hum when above 45%
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

18. Re: Dash & Door VIN plates
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

19. heater hoses go....where?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: "Bench Bleeding"
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

21. Eurofest
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:18:42 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Brass screws on throttle body

Hello all.
  I've done a very foolish thing and mixed up the 3 brass screws on my throttle body while cleaning it.  Where does the slotted screw go?
The hole toward the front of the car, back of car, or center?

Thanks in advance,
Matt Smith

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:15:09 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Luggage Rack

One thing to note - to install the brackets you have to cut pieces out of the rubber strip on either side that the louver rests on. This is not visible with the louver closed. It's a relatively cheap part to replace if you change your mind too (~40 for the pair).

Also - if the one I had was any indication, you should consider replacing most of the hardware (screws and nuts) with stainless equivalents if the rack is going to spend much time in the weather.

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:17:36 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic with a high pitch hum when above 45%

Fan belt idler pulley bearings, I bet.

--Pete Lucas
   VIN #06703

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:27:19 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Arhhh !

So i see, mine has the holes exposed and the rubber strip missing in
between. Hence at one time had a rack on there!

Regards

Yorkshire UK

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:53:39 -0500
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>
Subject: "Bench Bleeding"

Hello everyone & Happy New Year to y'all from the Great White North...!

I,too, have less than stellar braking since I replaced my master
cylinder, rotors, pads & callipers.  So bad, in fact, that with the car
up on jack stands and the engine & tranny in 1st gear idling (no
accelerator applied), all my weight on the brake pedal will just barely
stop the rear rotors from turning.  Fronts seem OK & I can stop the car,
however the stopping power/distance is not great & I'm feeling that most
of my braking power is coming from the front.  When the car is on the
road, I also have to press the brake once before the pressure seems
right to stop the car.

I've bled many a brake system on many a car, and the DeLorean is
certainly nothing complex, yet I don't know what I've done wrong.  I
read here recently about "bench-bleeding" the M.Cylinder...  can this be
done on the car?  i.e.: can I just disconnect the brake lines, connect
two short tubes to the m.c. outlet nipples & bend them 'round back into
the reservoir and have somebody pump the pedal?  Or does it need to be
done outside of the car?  I am hoping that after I do this, my braking
will be back to normal...

- ed

--

1982 DMC-12 [11594]
1986.5 928S

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:32:10 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Brass screws on throttle body

Nearest the metering head (front of car). Although it really doesn't matter.

Martin

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:12:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Although as James says there may be approx 100 luggage racks, to my
knowledge, there are NO MORE ski racks. They were an option that
attached onto the luggage rack. BTW the luggage rack is very strong.
One of our local owners attaches 2 large trunks to it with cargo
netting to take items to sell at events. He claims it does slow him
down some and decreases his gas  mileage. The main prupose of the
luggage rack is to hold the flat tire.

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:31:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: "Bench Bleeding"

Although it is pretty easy to remove the master cylinder it can be
bled in the car. Here is a short, simple procedure:
1) remove all brake fluid (as much as you can) from the resovoir
2) fill with fresh Castrol
3) attach the bleed tubes
4) have an assistant SLOWLY step on the pedal and he should only go
1/2 way, not all the way down to the floor
5) watch for the air bubbles to stop from both tubes
6) If the fluid is dark remove and refill again with fresh and bleed
again till clear
7) once bled with nice, clean brake fluid reattach the brake lines and
bleed each wheel going around the car at least twice making sure you
are getting clear fluid with no air bubbles.
I have bled many car's brake systems and quite a few Deloreans. I have
found that Deloreans need to have the master cylinder bled separately
from the car's system, unlike most cars which can be done while
bleeding the whole system. Remember, on a Delorean there is no
proportioning valve, that may be the reason? Another possability can
also be a bad brake hose that swells when you step on the brakes.
Watch the hoses as your assistant steps on the brakes. If you see any
of them swell they MUST be replaced. BTW with the brake lines removed
the only other things holding the master cylinder in is the wire to
the low switch and the 2 nuts on the booster. It takes only a couple
of minutes to pull the master cylinder. You can stick it in a vise and
use a screwdriver to bleed it with the tubes. Makes it easier to dump
the old stuff out and clean it up. Just plug the outlets till you can
reinstall the brake lines in the car. There is the possability you
have to rebuild the rear calipers if the pistons are stuck.

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:25:57 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

Cool, that's where I put it.  :P

Matt Smith

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:09:12 -0000
From: "Robert J. Wilson" <rjwilson62_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Luggage Rack

I have been following the posts on this subject very closely.  I
caught one mention of a ski rack for a DeLorean with a comment that it
was no longer available.  My questions are:  Does anyone have a
picture of the ski rack installed on a DeLorean, preferably with skiis
installed on it?  Does it monunt "on" the luggage rack that is being
discussed?  Has anyone ever made a rack to safely and securely carry a
pair of skiis on a DeLorean?  If so, pictures?

I certainly don't want to scar or damage my DeLorean but I am sure
intersted in a way to carry a pair of skiis.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,
Bob Wilson

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:32:34 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Dash & Door VIN plates (a cover-up uncovered)

Jake is right on the money on this one.  While some of the dash
VIN tags have been "uncovered" for years, at least four early
500 series cars have had paint removed from these tags in the
last two or three months or so.

You really have to look very closely and in several different
perspective directions to be able to see the DMC logo and the
other printing under the "cover up" non-glossy black paint.
It is very subtle, but once you see it, it appears obvious.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_s...>
wrote:

> They changed them because the tag will blind you in the sunlight.
As we all
> know, the DeLorean dash is great for reflecting on the windshield,
and I
> guess those things would be like looking at a mirror in the sun.
That's
> also why many of the early VIN tags that have the logo were
painted over
> with black paint.  --But usually the paint can be removed....
[looks at

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:09:29 -0500
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Matt,

If the noise occurs only on L/H OR R/H curves then it's probably a bad rear
wheel bearing which is only generally noticeable at speeds over 45MPH. A
front bearing problem would be most noticeable between 30 & 40MPH JFYI.

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:34:14 -0000
From: "alistairmccann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: NEW YAHOO GROUP

Hi everyone

With eurofest only a few months away I decided to start this new group
to welcome you all to Ireland

It will have info on hotels and other places to stay. If you have any
questions on Eurofest and Northern Ireland in general then join now!!!

Cheers

Alistair McCann
Pilot25
Northern Ireland

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:47:36 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Canadian Serial Numbers

Mike and others,

I know this topic has come up a few times and the Canadian D Club
has done a good job of documenting many of the Canadian spec cars.

From my understanding, there are about 100 Canadian spec DeLoreans
built and/or re-tagged during August 1982 and October 1982.

Although the Canadian spec DeLoreans are in the 17xxx series, they
start about 17050 and run through about 17149 (+/- a few more).

I have personally inspected a few early 17xxx series DeLoreans and
all I have seen through VIN.1703x are US spec (not metric).

I also own VIN.17063 which is a Canadian spec car, but is currently
not stock, running with a Buick Grand National 3.8L Turbo V6 engine.

I'm sure others may comment on this topic as well with more details.

Note: I have also seen a few 16xxx series DeLoreans with metric
instrument clusters and/or radio interference certification tags.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_r...>
wrote:

> So the Canadian cars all have VINs with 170....
>
>   Any idea how I could find out how many of these there actually
were and if they were 1983 DMC-12s only?

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:10:17 EST
From: andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Reproduction windshields

I am Andy Blackmon the owner of 3513. In 1983 a tree fell on my car caving
in the  hood and cracking the windshield. The Delorean dealer in Birmingham  at
the time Royal Oldsmobile did a great job on the hood and the windshield was
replaced by the local glass company Cassidy and Self. The windshield was a
Lotus Esprit windshield. This windshield was in my car until late 2005. The
windshield has a different tint and is not as thick but it fit and worked great
for over twenty years. My car is in Houston under going several thousand
dollars  worth of work, they told me that I had a none Delorean windshield and
asked if I  wanted to replace it, I opted to go back to the original windshield
because of  the tint. But, yes the Esprit will fit and yes it will hold  up.

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:14:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Canadian Serial Numbers

Thanks d-rex.

  That helps a lot.

  Pit Mike

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:44:00 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Have you checked the fluid in the differential?

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "carpenter12740"

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 03:16:36 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Dash & Door VIN plates

I don't plan to assist in the reproduction of this VIN tag, the sole
reason being it would lower the value of the blank original tag that I
have.

If anyone is interested in purchasing the (what might be the last in
existance) real deal, shoot me an email at PRC1216(at)aol.com.  I've
had several offers for $300, but I am holding out for $400, and I'll
ship it anywhere in the world.  Once someone else owns this rarity,
they can decide if they would care to send it out to have
reproductions made.

Stamping the VIN number in a blank tag does present the real problem,
and as others mentioned, the state inspection might not like it one
bit if they detect a new vin plate has been installed on the car.  I'm
no expert on this subject though.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:51:20 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: heater hoses go....where?

Hey Group,

Silly me - when I removed my heater hoses behind the engine from the metal
pipes that run under the car, I neglected to draw a picture as to where each
hose goes.  I need to  know if the upper or lower metal line (when  viewed from
the pass side under the car) goes to the heater control valve or to  under
the engine.

Please don't take a stab if you don't know because if I put this back
together wrong (engine is out of car now) it will take hours to switch them
again!!!! :-)

Thanks -
Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:51:13 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Are you sure the rear brakes are working ok? That is, the pistons
are not stuck, lines are not blocked, etc. Have you tried a vacuum
bleed at the rear calipers until the fluid is clear?

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 18:09:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Eurofest

Still unsure if I will be going or not...

However, a few months back I asked about anyone
interested in planning a drive trip to Galway bay to
visit the DeLorean body dies...

Anyone interested?  That would me incentive (for me)
to go.