From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:36 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3072

1. Re: Re: What to call the Scuba Show... Diving for Deloreans?
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Re: What to call the Scuba Show... Diving for Deloreans?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: RE: Louder Horns for DMC...one more question.
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

4. Re: Re: What to call the Scuba Show... Diving for Deloreans?
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. Re: What to call the Scuba Show... Diving for Deloreans?
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Fuel pump gets hot...
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Eurofest Dive Trip (body die info)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

8. Buying a DeLorean
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

9. Re: Re: What to call the Scuba Show... Diving for Deloreans?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

10. Re: What to call the Scuba Show... Diving for Deloreans?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

11. Re: What to call the Scuba Show... Diving for Deloreans?
From: "mdcdmc81" <mcho628_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: What to call the Scuba Show... Diving for Deloreans?
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Re: What to call the Scuba Show... Diving for Deloreans?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

14. Re: Re: Engine Dies at idle HELP!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. Re: CV boot replacement
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Luggage Rack
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:33:22 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: What to call the Scuba Show... Diving for Deloreans?

David Teitelbaum wrote:

>The body dies have more of a historical significance than anything
>else. Even if they could be recovered in usable condition there will
>never be enough of a need to actually use them. When you consider what
>the press time, set-up time, cost of materiel and everything else that
>would go into it would cost it is not economically feasable for them to
>be used. You can't just make a dozen panels and stop, you would have to
>make many and who would put that kind of money into an inventory item
>that would move so slow? It makes more sense to buy a cheap, damaged
>Delorean and strip the panels off of it. Or repair a damaged panel. BTW
>even damaged dies *can* be fixed up but it comes down to economics.
>Unless you were going to make hundreds of panels it just doesn't make
>sense. Panels can be made by hand. It is time consuming (read
>expensive), but still cheaper than using the dies. In fact that is how
>prototype parts are made before making production dies.
>David Teitelbaum
>vin 10757

I'm not really so sure about this. If the left front fender dies were made available again that part alone would probably be cost effective enough to reman a few hundred of them. Granted they would still be quite expensive, at least they wouldn't be so rare. The other panels, your right. They are available enough as it is on the NOS/used markets not to be worth the cost.

VIN# 03209

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:48:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

It was never my intention to raise these tools..
However, I would assume they are owned by the fishing company that sank them.  For all we know, they are still "in use" holding nets that are still farmed.

So, if anyone missed it I am still looking for people interested in DIVING the site to just see the tools.
Let me know if you are.

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:53:09 -0800
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: RE: Louder Horns for DMC...one more question.

Alex,
Keep in mind there are other accessories on that fuse. So the wiring to the horns may only be rated for the stock ones. The D's wiring wasn't designed very well, so it would be possible to overload the horn circuit and not blow a fuse. Sure if you shorted it, the overload would be short enough not to damage the wiring much before the fuse blows. But if you run say 15-19 amps through the horn wiring, it may melt. Where exactly, I can't say.

The whole point to using a relay is that the horn circuit now only powers the relay coil (uses just a fraction of an amp). The horns then get their power from that new wire that you run from the battery. This wire should be heavier gauge and be able to support the current demands. The relay then switches the current on and off to the new horns when you press the horn button.

With the horns being a safety device, you don't want to risk using the stock wiring with horns that demand more current. A properly wired relay will make the louder horns perform well and be reliable in a D.

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 14:48:18 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Right - nobody ever expected the Titanic to be "useful" or to raise and refloat it. They just wanted to find it and explore it because iot was historically interesting. (Well okay, maybe SOME people were hoping to haul up a safe full of jewels from the wreck.)

Just going down to the dies and showing them on the sea floor would be interesting to most DeLorean people. I don't know if the whole story would be interesting enough to people outside of the DeLorean community for Discovery channel to be interested, however. (But you never know!)

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:20:22 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

OK, now I am lost... were the dies lost when a boat sank? What would the dies be doing in the water? Wouldn't it be cheaper to make a new die?

wrote:

> Seriously this is a GREAT story.. especially if you guys
can "Raise the Deloreans."

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:47:35 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump gets hot...

The air dam is a great thing to buy or make if you are in our kind of climate, but failures in the 70's sound like an extreme case to me.

Matt's already covered a bunch of the games I played with my fuel pump last summer. There is also a recent posting on the AZ-D message board if you care to sign up and review it.

David's certainly right about the fuel pickup restricting flow as the fuel heats up or if it is kinked for some reason.  Also make sure nothing is pressing on the two fuel lines entering the pump boot. You'll be surprised to hear a little change in engine tone if you apply pressure to the fuel supply line.

I first prevented pickup hose collapse with the "spring" method you can find documented here on the DML, but fearing eventual fuel system contamination, switched to John Hervey's short solid pickup.
I further like John's design because it makes the pump assembly very easy to remove and maintain (pickup filter, etc.).

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:31:44 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Eurofest Dive Trip (body die info)

[Moderator Note: The DML generally frowns on the practice of forwarding private messages written by non-subscribers which were never intended for DML publication.  In my judgment the last line of Mr. Kilroy's message implies permission to solicit interest in its content, so I have approved it for you to read.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

FYI,

Attached is an email sent by Mark Kilroy about a year and a half ago regarding the details of the salvaging of the body dies.

Although I would be interested in participating in a dive, as a few of us discussed back in 2004, to document the body dies, I would not be interested in being in the water with someone at the controls of a crane, attempting to lift a 3 ton body die.

I did commercial saltwater diving for 10 years (15 years ago) including dry suit dives in near freezing water temperatures, inverted in a water column about the size of an elevator shaft.
Even with my experience, I would not attempt this heavy salvage.

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:59:45 -0000
From: "willinot" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: Buying a DeLorean

Hi All,

First off I realise (and applogise for the same) that this/these
questions have probably been asked before, but I have run a search
through the DMC news and am looking for some additional info.

I am hoping to buy a Delorean within the next couple of months and
hope to view a couple of cars before purchasing.

I have downloaded the checklist from DMC Huston and the "newbie file"
from the forum.

I notice that the newbie files end short on the electricial section
for some reason and if anyone has the remaining information I would
really appreciate it.

My main reason for posting though is to enquire what other things, if
any to look for or what problems are fairly common but not really a
concern.

I would also be intrested in what should be the minimum "upgrades"
made to the car besides the conversion for use in the UK.

Lastly does anyone know where I can get a copy of the DeLorean Buyers
Guide in July 05 edition of Classic Motorsports.  I have tried the
website to download but to no avail.

Thanks for all the help.

Paul
NO VIN YET, BUT HOPEFULLY SOON.

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:31:45 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

I don't think the dies were made of stainless.  Stainless is too
brittle to use for stamping high volumes of sheet metal parts.

-------------- Original message from "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>: --------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:31:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Ownership of the dies is not that big a problem. The British
government sold the dies to a fishing company so the government no
longer has any interest or say in the use or the handling of the dies.
The ownership of the dies is now with the fishing company but maybe
they can be recovered under the Maritime Salvage laws. I am no expert
in that but if it is under the water and someone "salvages" them they
(the salvagers) may then become the rightful owners. This *could* be
interesting enough to get one of the cable channels to help. You would
not have to recover ALL of the dies, one or two would be enough.
Remember, each die set is composed of a female AND a male component so
if you wanted to get an actual working set you must recover the 2
parts that go together. In any search like this you begin with
research. You try to identify from a paperwork trail exactly what you
are looking for (the # and type of dies, markings, and weights, for
instance) who dumped them, where they were dumped, etc. These things
are heavy, you would need a large boat equiped with a crane capable of
lifing them. From research you will find out just how heavy they are.
There had to be some kind of document when the dies were sold to the
fishing company or maybe from the bankrupcy records. Of course we are
talking 25 years ago so much of what you would be looking for won't be
found.

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:51:24 -0000
From: "mdcdmc81" <mcho628_at_dml_hotmail.com>

All previous arguments aside, there is another factor. The depth of
the artifacts could make it impossible to retrieve using scuba divers.
The recreational limit with scuba is 130 feet. And even the most
technical divers go to about 300 feet which includes long periods of
decompression stops on the way up. I don't know how far off shore they
dropped the dies which would determine their approximate residing
depth. If such an endeavor were to be undertaken, a submersible or ROV
would probably be used.

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:38:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

One of you guys really should call Discovery.  They've done enough other stuff on the De Lorean, why not this?  They could also tie in the 25th anniversary of DMC, and maybe do a brief history.

  Chuck

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 02:34:08 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

The problem is, we don't need a couple hundred left front fenders.

-------------- Original message from Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>: --------------

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:02:56 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Engine Dies at idle HELP!

In a message dated 1/10/2006 9:37:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,
blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk writes:

so i  think with my car the microswitch may be faulty or there is a
diode next  to the cpu, or the wire feed from the distributer (which
tells the cpu the  engine revolutions, and obviously check fuse 1
which feeds the idle  system.

Idle speed microswitches are one of those parts that seems to be failing
more often lately.

Try removing it and hooking it up to a multimeter to test for proper
function.  While it is on the meter (must be a digital for this test) try  tapping it
while it is 'on' to see if it momentarily shuts 'off' for a split  second.
If it does, replace it.  A needle meter won't swing fast  enough for that test.
 John Hervey sells a nice quality switch made by  Honeywell which I feel is
superior to OEM - and it's cheaper too!

Also some commonly overlooked things are to clean all your grounds
(especially engine mount on the passenger side and by the p/s trailing arm bolt)  and
also check to make sure that the ignition advance solenoid is working
properly.  It should be switching vacuum around when the engine is at  different
operating temperatures - check the shop manual for proper function and
temperatures.  Have all your disposable ignition components been replaced  with OEM
parts? And what about the lambda sensor? New??

Another piece of advice is to remove the pipe that goes from the idle  speed
motor to the lower half of the air metering unit and replace the O-ring on
it.  This is a source of massive vacuum leak that can be so bad  the engine
won't even start.  Lastly, make sure the vacuum check  valve (functions like a
diode) just off of the CPR is pointed in  the right direction.

Also make sure you are running your tests with the HVAC system shut off to
eliminate vacuum leaks in other parts of the car.

... and get a KJet fuel pressure tester!  Wise investment, I have used  mine
a few times in the last five years not only on my car but on friends' as  well.

If all of this stuff doesn't work I would suggest ignoring the exact  problem
you have at the moment and starting from square one.  In other  words,
disassemble, clean, and test every part of the car's fuel system and idle  system
starting at the fuel pump.  If any part doesn't meet the strictest  of
standards, replace it.  The shop manual does a good job explaining how  things work -
read Fuel, Emmisions, and Idle section thoroughly until you 100%  understand
everything and can explain it someone else.  PJ Grady offers a  great service
where you can send him your entire fuel injection system incl. the  fuel
distributor, cold start system, CPR system, idle speed motor system, and  air
metering system w/ switches and he will put it on a car that is known to be  100%
otherwise - and he will clean, test, and replace whatever parts are no good  as
well as set all of your adjustments for you.  When I did this four years  ago I
think basic setup and diagnostics started at about $375.  Might be  worth it
if you are really stumped.

Good Luck-
Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:09:40 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: CV boot replacement

In a message dated 1/11/2006 12:32:30 P.M. Central Standard Time,
dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com writes:

Hello  all.
What is the procedure for removing the outer CV joint from the  axle?
I damaged the boot while installing my clutch, so there is  no
contamination in the joint.  I've looked in the service manual,  it
dosen't mention the CV axles, or I'm not looking in the right place  :P
How do I take this apart?

Matt Smith

Matt,

Any idea when the last time the CV joints were cleaned and packed?   Now's a
good time to do it - you don't want to have to replace them if they  break!!

You have to remove the axle from the car (take all the bolts off of the
yokes on the ends).  Then you can pop the cap off of the end of the axle  and I
think there is a snap ring in there.  Actually just check the tech  articles
section of DMC News.com where Dave Swingle made a great write-up on the
procedure (Constant Velocity Joint Service).  That will tell you everything  you need
to know.  Marty Maier used to sell a great CV boot/grease kit - I  would
recommend that one if you want to do them all while you are at.   Takes about an
hour per axle and is really messy!

Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:07:50 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Luggage Rack

I have an original luggage rack.  They're great.

That being said, I have never, ever used mine.  I used to carry it around
in the trunk, but it just slid around and scratched up the fiberglass
(despite having a bolt in the trunk floor to hold it down).  I suppose I
will need it someday, but in 6 years I haven't found a reason yet.

I wish I had known what it was when I bought the car...got a flat during
the 200mi drive home and had to stuff the flat tire in the passenger seat!

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

[long quote trimmed by moderator]