From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 3:41 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3079

1. Re: Otterstat Popped Out While Driving
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. AW: Re: Alternator Sound
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

3. Re: Otterstat Popped Out While Driving
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Alternator Sound
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

5. Newsday Article
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Carfax
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Otterstat Popped Out While Driving
From: "trdstne71" <trdstne71_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Blower Fan Speed Switch Hard To Fit??
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

9. Re: Otterstat Popped Out While Driving
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Newsday Article
From: andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Newsday Article
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. Door / Window Rattle
From: "James" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>

13. Temp gauge flipped over
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

14. Re: Temp gauge flipped over
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. Re: Re: Newsday Article
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

16. Re: Newsday Article
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

17. Re: Temp gauge flipped over
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. Re: Newsday Article
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

19. Re: Newsday Article
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 07:24:20 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Otterstat Popped Out While Driving

I know I'm late to the party, but I got the Treadstone reference too. ;)

One thing that struck me odd about your post was that your car appeared to be overheating while it was being driven.  Presumably you were on a return trip when you overheated close to home.

When you are rolling, the radiator should be doing its job from normal air flow through the radiator, provided your thermostat works, you have coolant that actually circulates, etc.  Especially this time of year, fans shouldn't really come into play much unless you've been standing in traffic quite a bit.

Just a thought but my guess is your fans already work OK or you will get your fans running and still have overheating issues.

Idling in your driveway, your car should warm up to about the 1/4 mark on the temp gauge and the fans should kick in very close to this point.  This is a good way you can monitor your fan operation without trying to figure it out on the road.  Also, are the fans blowing in the proper direction?  They should blow toward the back of the car.
Watch your fingers!

Moving down the road or after the fans have had a chance to bring temps back down, the needle should ride perhaps one needle-width below the 1/4 mark. At least this has been a consensus of our club members when I polled them to figure out my problem and it matches what I see with my new thermostat installed.

Turned out my thermostat was stuck partially open... but a lot. My car warmed up some but not properly.

If your fans DO come on and temps continue to rise, I'd guess you have a stuck or sticky thermostat, maybe stuck a little open but not enough to efficiently cool your car.

The thermostat is not too hard to replace. I recently figured out how to do mine. Happy to walk you through it live on the phone if you want the assistance.  I messed mine up a couple of times so I can do the whole thing in 15 minutes now!  Drop me an email if it turns out you'd like help.  Or maybe we can have an AZ club member give you a hand.

To prevent fans and thermostat from fighting one another (i.e., thermostat open with fans on), you will want a thermostat that is properly paired with your otterstat temp.

Marv
#10820
Las Vegas

Arizona DeLorean Club
www.az-d.org

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:08:33 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Re: Alternator Sound

A failed sensor lead - normally the one that feeds the bulb in the dash can cause the symptoms you describe.

Or when the bulb is dead - same situation.

The regulator doesn't get enough power to work at lower speeds.
when you rev it higher, the remaining magnetism produces enough voltage to make the regulator work and then keeps it running.

I have seen this on my buddys car and also read it in an automotive book.

So - start by looking if the battery-bulb in the dash works how ist should be.

Elvis

What kind of alternator do you have? I've heard of this issue on some aftermarket units, just wondering.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

> Gee I'm posting here a lot...
>
> OK, I noticed while my car is idling right after it is started that my
> battery voltage is low, below the 14 or so volts it should read when
> running. If I rev the engine the meter will suddenly bounce up to
> where it should be and continue even when the engine runs back down to
> idle, indicating that the alternator is working. Also, a whirring
> sound can be heard from the alternator AFTER the gauge indicates that
> it is working. I have cleaned all of the contacts
and

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 07:38:34 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Separate from the fans issue, my car also never warmed up enough, but it wasn't the fans.

I'm not a long-time car guy... the D has been making me come up to speed these last 8 months.  But shouldn't the thermostat do its job to keep your car warm? If the thermostat is closed, it doesn't matter how much air is going through the radiator because engine coolant shouldn't be sent through that cooling loop.

When summer ended, my car never got past the 1/8 mark unless it sat still in traffic for a long time, then temps dropped back down as soon as I was moving again. Turned out my thermostat was stuck partially open.  Replacing it did the trick and will surely also help my car run cooler come summer. The system is really designed to be wide open or completely closed. A partially blocked thermostat not only warms the car inefficiently, it presumably also cools it inefficiently.

I just posted a similar message about thermostats if you would like help changing yours, I'd be glad to help any way I can.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:12:32 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator Sound

Other things that can cause the alternator to not "put out" at low RPM's:
Wrong bulb in the dash
A high resistance in either the output wire to the battery or the dash light Too small a pulley on the alternator Slipping belt A problem inside the alternator, bad regulator or diodes.
This *might* be normal if you have too big a load on the alternator at idle like a very low battery, lights on, A/C running, etc. Go to Sears or someplace like it where they will do a free check on you battery, starting system, and charging system. Or you can take you alternator off and most places that work on alternators will bench it for free.
Have the battery load tested too. Turn the key on but don't start the motor. The battery light should light. This is a test of the alternator AND the warning/charging circuit.

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:21:19 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Newsday Article

There is an article in the Long Island Newsday today, 1/15/06 on page E19, in the WHEELS section that has a picture of JZD in his car.

The article itself is a brief description of two new "bad-car" books.

"Bad Car" ?  I guess that is a matter of opinion that would be hotley debate here.

When is someone going to write about how the DeLorean was a GREAT CAR that just didn't get a chance to make it.

D & 6530
Dave Delman

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:59:36 EST
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Carfax

Anyone got a Carfax account?  I need a check on a car.

Many thanks,
Robert

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:42:40 -0000
From: "trdstne71" <trdstne71_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> I know I'm late to the party, but I got the Treadstone reference too.
> ;)

:-D

> One thing that struck me odd about your post was that your car
> appeared to be overheating while it was being driven.  Presumably
you
> were on a return trip when you overheated close to home.

That's correct.  But the car's temperature was fine the whole way.
Then as soon as the otterstat popped out and much of the coolant departed the system - then it started overheating.

> When you are rolling, the radiator should be doing its job from normal
> air flow through the radiator, provided your thermostat
works,
> you have coolant that actually circulates, etc.  Especially this
time
> of year, fans shouldn't really come into play much unless you've
been
> standing in traffic quite a bit.

And this is exactly the type of behaviour I was seeing before I embarked on removing the otterstat...  The car would only overheat when it was idling or stuck in stop and go traffic.  As soon as I got out onto the open freeway, or a long stretch of road where I could get the speed up, the temperature gauge would come back down to the quarter mark.

> Just a thought but my guess is your fans already work OK or you
will
> get your fans running and still have overheating issues.
>
> Idling in your driveway, your car should warm up to about the 1/4 mark
> on the temp gauge and the fans should kick in very close to
this
> point.  This is a good way you can monitor your fan operation
without
> trying to figure it out on the road.  Also, are the fans blowing
in
> the proper direction?  They should blow toward the back of the
car.
> Watch your fingers!

I did indeed try this test at home after popping out the otterstat and putting it back in.  I turned the car on and let it idle in the driveway for fifteen min.  The temperature needle made it all the way up to the halfway mark and I never heard the fans come on.

The other thing I tried was the air bleeding trick.  I've seen at least two different methods of doing it - one where you just open the screw and let the air out, and another where you need tubes and buckets, running water and coolant.  I opted for the simpler method, but I think after all is said and done, I will try the somewhat more complicated one...  :-)

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:50:50 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Blower Fan Speed Switch Hard To Fit??

Hi all

My blower fan speed switch broke today and I was straight on to DMCH to order a new one but how hard is it to fit....  It looks to be pretty straight forward but I am sure that there is a hidden snag.

I take it that the old one just unplugs from an electrical block connector and then is pushed through the hole on the front of the a/c switch panel, then the old one is fitted in its place.

Am I right in this assumption??

Alistair
Belfast.

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:14:51 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Your operation does sound exactly like my old MGB with dead cooling fans.

I completely missed to point that you would lose coolant when the otterstat came off.

As for trapped air, John Hervey has an auto-bleeder easily installed at the location of the bleeder screw. I imagine other vendors also sell one or you can make one. Might not be a bad addition.

Good idea to get your car well nose-down for the bleeding so the air can travel to the high end of the system and exit.  Otherwise, opening the bleeder screw may not do the trick.

I believe someone also has a radiator self-bleeder, though I've not tried that one.

Good luck with the new otterstat!  If your fans run too much, keep the "matched" thermostat/otterstat concept in mind.  A cooler thermostat might prevent an overlap in the devices' opposing operation.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:09:52 EST
From: andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Newsday Article

No one who knows the car will ever call it a great car. Mine is a '81 at 5,000 miles it had fan problems, at 10,000 miles it began electrical problems.
In truth every Delorean ever made had fan problems, had electrical problems and  was under powered and unreliable. Great car? no way, but with tlc and money and  skill it can be made into a good car. I think it is the prettiest car on the  road, and I now have a good car but no one in the know will ever call a Delorean  a great car, but in spite of every thing I love this silver beast.
Andy Blackmon 3513

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:21:03 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Is the DeLorean a bad car, no way, it's a true classic, that unfortuanlty got a bad rap.  Now it does have it's quirks, like most other cars of that time period.  New pollution controls, that great idea of making a safe car, a really bad engine choice (I think we can all agree on this).  But the styling, still classic, where else can you find a car that looks like a Stainless Steel future car, space ship, go fast (even though it doesn't)?  No where, that's the beauty of the DeLorean, it's a beautiful car in terms of styling and innovation, if the company had survived a few more years, who knows what might have happend.

I'm just glad I happen to own 2 of them, both have their own individual personalities, both can be a pain in the rear at times, but overall, I really can't complain, they are 25 years old after all and do need some TLC.

Think I need to go out to the garage, and pull the car out, and just look at it.  Nope, going to take it for a drive, the sun is out, no salt on the roads right now, it's cold, half a pack of cigarettes, cellphone all charged up, and the AAA dues paid.

Guess not, the car won't even turn over.  I pulled the battery and hooked it up the the charger, reads full charge, won't charge it at all, ROM relay is making the right noises, don't hear the fuel pump, but I never have on this car.  Time to figure out why it won't even attempt to turn over.  It's happened before on this car.

I'm off to the workshop manual to start the diagnosis, but if anyone has any suggestions I would be glad to hear them.  I'm thinking bad ground, or starter relay.

Bernie

6704 going for a drive, 4045 in Houston for a Stage II engine.

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:26:03 -0000
From: "James" <deloreandmcxii_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Door / Window Rattle

It has been a bit since I've posted. I kinda get disinterested in all things DeLorean when she's tucked away for the winter. But I managed to get her out a couple of day in a row while the salt and snow is gone. Just to get the juices flowin.

She has developed a rattle in the doors that I thought was the lock/ handle linkage. I noticed, however, that it only rattles when the window is all the way up. It has to be completly sealed or the rattle does not occur.

Any idea where this might be coming from. It it hard to pinpoint, sometimes it sounds like lower door, sometimes upper door, and sometimes even the roof section of the door.

Thanks! Can you beleive DCS06 is only 6 months away!!?

-James LaLonde 4009

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:15:01 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Temp gauge flipped over

My D did a strange thing last night, I started it up and the temp needle flipped over so it was pointing to about the 5:00 position.  I was able to re-flip it by fashioning a tool from a bobby pin and inserting it carefully through the odo reset hole.  Now it seems to be working Ok.
Is it normal for the gauge to flip?  What might be causing this?  Is my car possed by the spirit of an AMC Pacer?

Matt Smith

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:58:15 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Temp gauge flipped over

Dodgy connection on the temp gauge sender, gave it a ground for a fraction of a second, sends them crazy. Change the sender, make sure the wiring's not rubbed through anywhere.

Martin

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:54:38 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Newsday Article

Bernie,
    I disagree with the comment "a really bad engine choice (I think we can all agree on this)".  I think the PRV is a good little engine, just not the fastest or most powerful engine choice that could have been made.  I've helped work on a fellow owner's DeLorean that had 300,000 miles on the original engine, never rebuilt.  Now compare that with a comparable Lotus engine from the 80's, and you'll find that 40,000 or 50,000 miles can be a lifetime for those engines.
    Also remember that we were just coming out of an energy crisis when the engine choice was made.  Getting 21-29 mpg is pretty good for a
25 year old car today.

Whenever people give me a hard time at a car show about a 'puny'
engine, I remind them that the '81 Corvette only made 180 HP.

-Patrick C.
Vin #1880

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:10:44 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

hi
just check the power going to the starter leads, are these OK.
if yes the starter may have burnt out/jammed as even a weker power you should hear something.

do you hear any relay clicks?

if a manual box, put in second gear and rock the car (or push start) if the starter gear has jammed, i use to have a ford escort do this till i changed the starter.

Should be easy to diagnose.
Regards

Steve

Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:25:39 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

This is usually a bad wiring connnection causing a voltage spike, unfortunately it can be anywhere in the car. For example - I put up with this for about 4 years on my car. I had the rear carpeted panel out a while ago and discovered that the main "ground" feed into the car from the engine compartment (that huge bundle of black wires) was not very tight. I took it apart, cleaned all the lugs and put it back together just on general maintenance principles. I've never seen the gauge do this backflip again.

Dave Swingle

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:06:28 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

hey hold on the car is not just a great car, it is a FANTASTIC car.

yes it needs maintenance, but so do all.

and the engine choice, i know the power would be good but would you really want a ferrari or lotus engine which would cost a fortune to maintain and rebuild.
i looked at lotus esprits (1980's) but gather you are talking plus 5000 uk money just for an engine rebuild.
i'd rather stick to the prv and go to the local shop to buy the air/oil/fuel filter etc.
and JZD was just of course developing the twin turbo so had the factory continued, who knows what we would of had.

if you drive down the road in a ferarri or a Delorean, which will the most people look at? got to be Delorean every time.

Regards

steve
owner, UK

Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:15:39 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, andyblackmon_at_dml_a... wrote:

> No one who knows the car will ever call it a great car. Mine is a
'81 at
> 5,000 miles it had fan problems, at 10,000 miles it began electrical
problems.
> In truth every Delorean ever made had fan problems, had electrical
problems and
>  was under powered and unreliable. Great car? no way, but with tlc
and money
> and  skill it can be made into a good car.

Ever own a C5 Corvette? In production eight model years and the C5 still had steering wheel lockups, leaky rear ends, many LS1s had piston slap, plastic headlight gears that break over and over, cheap leather seats that last 2 months, fuel gauges that didn't work right, mysterious battery drains resulting in dead batteries, water leaks, and more. How long has GM been making these things...over 50 years?
Regardless, the C5 was a great car. I know my DeLorean, and over the past year it has been a great car. Not perfect, but great.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D