From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:29 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3083

1. RE: Values
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

2. Re: Soft brake peddle UPDATE
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

3. Re: Values
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Dallas area owners and enthusiasts
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: Newsday Article
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

6. Re: New Flux Capacitor available, and other "unique" products
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Crankshaft Pulley
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

8. Re: Crankshaft Pulley
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Re: Crankshaft Pulley
From: "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>

10. Lotus 06 Event
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

11. Re: Orlando Delorean Gathering
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Powdercoated DMC frames experience anyone?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. RE: Re: Newsday Article
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. 'Back to the Future' screening schedule
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

15. Re: Crankshaft Pulley
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Two Different Louvre Styles--Anyone else ever noticed this?
From: "Jeremy Popp" <trentjus_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Re: Crankshaft Pulley
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Fuel Accumulator Replacement - Stuck
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

19. Re: Rebuilding Starters and Motorola Alternators?
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. Re: Re: Values
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. WOW AND THANKS (was Colorized Wiring Diagram)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Crankshaft Pulley
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

23. Re: Soft brake peddle UPDATE
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

24. Headlights
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

25. Re: Values
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:42:06 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Values

When I was purchasing my car from Universal I wanted to demonstrate the
lowest possible value, as they had no idea what it was worth.   I then
got my car looked over by DMC in CA.  They were able to price out what it would take for them to do ALL l the work required to get the car up to snuff, and what the final value of the car might be at that time.

Their prices were fair, but it showed Universal that the car was virtually worthless as a restoration investment (it was fine as a labor
of love).   I did fail to mention that with the same amount of work I
have done putting the car back together, I could have parted it out and probably gotten 8 X what I paid for it in the end.  That didn't seem to be in my best interest at the time, nor was it my intention.

BTW - the car is now finally at DMC getting some of that work done.

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:45:42 -0600
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Soft brake peddle UPDATE

> fail. So I spent approximately 4 hours (not including the trip to the
> hospital to get 5 stitches in my arm) <snip>

Chris,

I know they said to bleed the system, but I don't think your body was what they had in mind!  :-)

Jake Kamphoefner and 1063
(lots' of bleeding knuckles, but no stitches so far.  Knock on stainless...)

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:13:33 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <rowejj_at_dml_t...> wrote:

>         Hi all, this may sound really...really stupid but does
anyone know of an
> online source of cars values that would show the lowest value of our
car?
> Yes, that's right, the lowest. The total opposite of what we would
normally
> want. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.nada.com/

1981 DMC-12 low retail: $9,950

"Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car"."

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:04:27 -0500
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Dallas area owners and enthusiasts

I am going to be in the Dallas / Fort Worth area for about a week next month and am interested in seeing if any other DeLorean owners (or even just DeLorean fans) would like to get together one evening.  I will be flying in 2/13 and flying back out on 2/17.

If you are interested in getting together, shoot me an e-mail (mcb at babbtechnology dot com) with your contact info and we can try to schedule a time to get together.

Also, any Texans in the area that have some advice on fun things to do while in town? I will be staying in Irving, but don't mind driving a bit in the evenings for something fun.

Cheers,

Michael Babb

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:54:26 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Newsday Article

Hi

I too thought mine was missing, but like another person i know it had come out of the holder and was dangling down near the exhaust manifold, a bit melted on one side but there. Maybe yours is down there somewhere too. Easier to see 'up there' with the car jacked up at the rear.

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 05:47:25 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: New Flux Capacitor available, and other "unique" products

I can personally vouch for the engine oil by-pass kit.

Install one and you'll never change your oil again. Won't need a new 710 cap either!

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Hank <heskin_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> Check out the new Flux Capacitor from KaleCoAuto:
>
> http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?
main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=28

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:17:31 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley

If a gun's good enough to crack it off, the same gun is more than capable of re-applying it. Some torques are critical. This one isn't - just make sure it's tight.

Martin

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:26:32 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

My recollection (check the manual) is that the installation torque is well within the range of my torque wrench - something like 150-180 pounds. The problem is the breakaway torque is much higher, and I suspect that a lot of these are installed with loctite.

Marc - you may appreciate this one - I recall a recommended way to break the crank nut loose on Taurus SHO was to put a breaker bar/socket on it, roll it over against the subframe and then bump the starter.
This of course only works if the engine rotates in the right direction.....

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:46:47 -0000
From: "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>

> All of the posts saying to use an impact gun instead of locking the
> engine makes me wonder how you all re-assemble it using the proper
> torque.
Torque Control.

I use color coded torsion bar sockets. They are designed to flex at a specific torque.

Some late 20th century know-how incorporated torsion bar sockets with dials that allow you to have fine torque control (rather than just ballpark 'rough').  You'd pick a bar in the range you desire, say 100 lb-ft and then you move the dial to +4 for 104lb-ft.  The bar flexes at 100lb-ft and a MEMS sensor (or other actuator) determines how much additional impact force is needed before sending a interrupt signal (can be electric or mechanical) to power down the torque wrench.

Some people use the lowest rated impact wrench that exceeds the amount of torque they need, and use the 'force' to know when to stop.

I'm sure there are other mechanisms for controlling torque output.

-Nate

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:41:11 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Lotus 06 Event

Hi

Please see the following information (hosted on my web space) which is posted on behalf of the DOC UK Club.

I will post updates and further details etc on here shortly.

Can anyone who is expressing an interest to attend, please contact the Secretary at the email shown. This would give a better idea on possible attendances

http://www.orgsites.com/tx/bozzzydmc/_pgg9.php3

Club Site:-

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/features/forthcomingevents/forthcomingevent
s.html

Kind Regards

Mike
#2001/DOC 403

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:15:36 EST
From: whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Orlando Delorean Gathering

I'll be there, but I think you know that already...  Do you know how  late things are likely to finish up?  Should I plan on staying overnight in  the local area Saturday night?  With a 3-4 hour drive home, I might prefer  to stay
over rather than hit the road tired after a long day.   Likewise, I might well
drive up Friday and get a good night's sleep before going  over to the mall on Saturday morning.  Either way I have friends nearby in  Maitland whose sofa I can borrow (yeah Chas, I'm CCing you on this as a  reminder...), I just need to know if I should still tell them to expect me  & when.

Dan Harris - VIN # 1662 - FL Tag # MY 81DMC

*****WhoCruiser_at_dml_aol.com is Dan  Harris***** WhoCruiser's Personal Home Page: _http://members.aol.com/WhoCruiser_
(http://www.scificruise.com/)
Read  about The Sci-Fi Sea Cruise at: _http://www.scificruise.com_
(http://www.scificruise.com/)
Purr-use  The Cat House at: _http://members.aol.com/LookAtMyCatsPage_
(http://members.aol.com/LookAtMyCatsPage)

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:27:01 -0000
From: "Michael Cole" <stainless_delorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Orlando FL DeLorean Gathering *with cruise to Old Town* Sat, Jan 21st

Hello everyone.

I would  like to take this time to invite everyone who is able to attend to a  DeLorean work day/ car show and cruise to Old Town in Kissimmee on January  21, 2005.

We are meeting at 8:30 a.m. at the Altemonte Springs mall in  Central FL, then heading over to Brandon (Morpheus')apartment community to  do repairs, install parts, hang out, etc.

I was able to  secure permission to attend (as a group) the Saturday Night Cruise at Old  Town which is reserved primarily for carls 1970 and above.  I  explained how it was the 25th anniversary of the car and how this is one of  the few gatherings of this many DeLoreans in one
place at one time.   We are parking on the brick driveway known as
Trophy Row, which requires us  to be at old town as early as possible.
We are going to be there at 3:30  pm., and all cars must be present at that time.  If we are late or  another group stakes claim, we will still be parked as a group.  Since  it is the 25th anniversary, more than likely we will be the group at the  end of the cruise to close it out!

Its a day full of delorean  activities, cruising, showing, and cruising again.  If you wish to  attend, please email me no later than Thursday, January 19th to confirm  because i do have to give an accurate car count no later than FRIDAY, 12:00  pm.

I know we have alot of Tampa DeLorean people and a few of you  in Central and South Florida.  Please feel free to come on  out!

Michael Cole
stainless_delorean(at)yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:35:10 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Powdercoated DMC frames experience anyone?

The "best" way to fix small areas is:
1) Remove the loose epoxy by scraping/picking at it and prying it off till you get to stuff that is well bonded to the metal. You will know because the metal will be shiny.
2) Wire brush and/or sand the area clean to bare metal
3) Feather the edges of the epoxy paint around the bare area
4) Apply a corrosion inhibitor/primer like POR 15
5) Sand smooth and color spray with Krylon "Smoke Grey" aeroisol spray paint. You can get it in Home Depot or most any large paint store that sells Krylon spray paint. The repair is not as good as the epoxy but it will be invisible and should last a long time.

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:58:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Newsday Article

More recognized & more fun to drive... probably yes, but as far as getting more attention... no.

Joe O'Brien & I have a friend who owned a Ferrari 308 (the Magnum P.I. car). When driving around one day (Joe & 'friend' in the Ferrari) and me following behind, we came to a stop light. Joe heard the people on the corner yell, "awe wow look at that car", "cool a DeLorean" - totally ignoring the bright red Ferrari right in front of them. This also happend to me on other occations while driving with the Ferrari.

Shannon Y
16506

---------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:18:32 -0500
   From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Having owned both; I disagree. The Ferrari is more recognized and, in my opinion as a driver, more enjoyable because you can experience more open air. The Delorean is a great car (with fantastic styling), don't get me wrong, but half of the attention it gets is from people uneducated about the marquee and with all kinds of theories about what motor is in it, drug conspiracies, and whether or not JZD is still in jail (RIP). If only JZD could have designed the inside of the Ferrari (Not nearly as cozy). I'm just saying let's not let our imaginations get outta hand
here...;-)

> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com> From: blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk> Date:
> Mon, 16 Jan

2006 02:06:28 +0000> Subject: Re: [DML] Newsday Article> > hey hold on the car is

not just a great car, it is a FANTASTIC car.> > yes it needs maintenance, but so do all.> > and the engine choice, i know the power would be good but would you > really want a ferrari or lotus engine which would cost a fortune to > maintain and rebuild.> i looked at lotus esprits (1980's) but gather you are talking plus

£5000 uk money just for an engine rebuild.> i'd rather stick to the prv and go to

the local shop to buy the > air/oil/fuel filter etc.> and JZD was just of course developing the twin turbo so had the > factory continued, who knows what we would

of had.> > if you drive down the road in a ferarri or a Delorean, which will > the most people look at? got to be Delorean every time.>

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:48:49 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: 'Back to the Future' screening schedule

For those on the list interested in catching a Back to the Future™ screening on the West Coast, here's the complete listing to date for upcoming screenings that we're aware of:

January 27-28, 2006
Landmark Egyptian Theatre, Seattle, WA
206-781-5755

February 3-5, 2006
Landmark Act 1 & 2, San Francisco, CA
510-464-5980

February 23, 2006
Regal Davis Holiday 6, Davis, CA
530-753-3093

March 16, 2006
UA Clovis Town Center 8, Clovis, CA
559-487-2711

April 6, 2006
UA Arden Fair 6, Sacramento, CA
916-568-5188

Several of these may likely be excellent opportunities for cross-promotions with local DeLorean owner groups, so please check with the respective theaters for further information.

Stephen Clark
BTTF.com

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:39:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

No worries of over-torquing the bolt?  Making it
impossible to remove later??  Stretching the bolt
itself?  Breaking the bolt?

I am not a big fan of using impact guns for assembly.

--- Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:37:40 -0000
From: "Jeremy Popp" <trentjus_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Two Different Louvre Styles--Anyone else ever noticed this?

I just thought I would chime in and say that vin 01495 has the thin
center support.  I consider myself lucky that mine hasnt been cracked
or broken at any point.

Jeremy Popp

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_a...> wrote:

> Last night while I was at Ken Koncelik's warehouse getting help
> repairing my cracked center rib section in my louvres, I noticed how
> another owner's car had a different style of louvres completely.
The

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:45:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Crankshaft Pulley

Yes, I do remember reading that procedure on the SHO
web site some years ago..  I have had my SHO engine
apart a few times, and have never had to use that
method.

With any of these bolts, I always assume I will at
some point in the future be removing the same bolts
again.  For that reason, I think it is important to
use the proper torque specification even on joints
that are non critical.  The bolt itself has limits.

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:42:19 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Fuel Accumulator Replacement - Stuck

Sorry I've taken a while to reply to this...

>Thanks for the reply.  If I am to cut off the fuel hose, where would
>you suggest I cut and then what do I do with the cut hose?

Anywhere as long as you're happy about removing it, and throw it away.

>Concerning your comment on removing the hose from hardline in the
>second paragraph.  I am not familiar with crowsfoot

A crowsfoot is basically the end of a spanner (sorry, spanner = wrench
depending on the side of the atlantic!) with a drive socket in it. It's
allows you to get onto things inaccessible with a spanner and where you
can't put a socket. Here's the first hit on an ebay search

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4432668893

>I believe you are talking about the oval shaped hole where one
>normally access the fuel accumulator.

Yes - use a 17mm crowsfoot and an extension from underneath, and then
your friend accesses the top through the interior under the change tray.
There should be a plastic cover which can be removed without too much
trouble. He/she will need to hold onto the top of the heard line where
it connects to the flexible hose with a14mm spanner. It's a bit fiddly,
but you only need to hold onto it to crakc it off, otherwise you will
bend the hard line

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:45:13 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding Starters and Motorola Alternators?

Speaking from this side of the pond - it's cheaper for us to buy the
bigger 110A Paris-Rhone units (fitted to a later PRV) brand new than to
have the Motorolas rebuilt, because the regulator is so expensive.

Martin

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:24:11 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Values

On 1/18/06, Dan <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily
> Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a
> value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use
> the low retail value.

What?! LOL!

As the owner of a DeLorean I drive every day, I find that hilarious.
My car is "turn-key" with a huge number of new/upgraded parts. Mileage
notwithstanding, I find it incredible that NADA (anyone, really) would
book a car so low purely based on "daily driver" status.

Think about the value of a car to most buyers: A DeLorean with all new
parts, in which you can turn the key and drive as long and far as you
like? Or a car with all-original everything, unable to be driven much
due to the deteriorating components? I've found many (I hesitate to
say "most") DeLoreans for sale need a huge amount of work to be usable
for anything other than short, Sunday drives - close to home & with
towing insurance.

Don't get me wrong, my car isn't a full frame-off restoration like
you'd get from DMCH, but it's the next best thing. It sure as hell
isn't a $10,000 "low book value" car. In another 8-10 years when it's
got 150k miles on the clock I'll still be running a huge number of new
parts and I'll still be perfectly reliable - while the "classics" that
sit in garages and gather dust will require even more time and money
to be useful than they do today.

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:30:43 -0800 (PST)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: WOW AND THANKS (was Colorized Wiring Diagram)

Group,

I just want to take the time to thank all you folks
that ordered my Colorized Wiring Diagram.  I knew this
was going to be a winner, but nothing on this scale!!
Almost all copies I had in stock have been sold or
spoken for and I have started making another batch.
These will be available sometime next week at the
latest.  Again, thanks for all the orders.

Mike   TPS    1630

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:12:13 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Bolt?!?!?! It goes on the end of the crankshaft mate. 36mm nut... on a
precision ground, hardened and tempered shaft that'll take 800hp! I've
removed a few that I've put on in this way and they always buzz off
quite easily. It's the ones assembled with loctite that are a royal pain
in the you-know-what to get off. Remember which way the engine rotates
too - the propensity is for the nut to do itself up all the time.

Martin

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:16:49 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

I had the same kinds of issues using a one person bleeder. Never could
get the air out of the system. What I did was to buy about 20 feet of
clear tubing that would fit onto the wheel cylinder bleed screw. From
that point, I could attach the tubing, and open the screw. Then I
would get off of the ground and go sit in the car. I had a pair of
pliers pinching the tube and the end of the tube in a jar. I'd release
the pliers and pump the pedal. Each time I would raise my foot off of
the pedal, I would pinch the tube with the pliers so to not let air
get back in the line. Needless to say, it worked like a champ Tons of
bubbles came through the tubing and finally the fluid was solid in the
tube. With 20 feet of hose at my disposal, I was able to easily bleed
all four myself while sitting in the car.

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:27:33 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Headlights

I left my headlights on this morning for about 4 hours, car started
OK, but only the running lights on the side work now.  I'm guessing
the headlights went off at some point and weren't on for the full 4
hours.  Maybe a fuse?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:33:47 -0500
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

I can only guess that you  want to find out how cheap you could get a car for but it should be obvious that how low a value depends on the car's condition.

I'm sure there are some cars that you'd have to pay someone to take off your hands.  Most junkers will pay some money for scrap value.

The reason there is no such "book of low values" is because zero is the lowest you can go.

Most books do show a range of values with the low end for those cars with more mileage or in poor condition.

Is there something specific you are looking for?  Perhaps then "we" could give you a more helpful answer.

D² & 6530

Scraped a '66 Mustang convertible with a 289 and still regretting it! (Many moons ago.)