From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:15 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3084

1. RE: Powdercoated DMC frames experience anyone?
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

2. ebay Louvre Struts or another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Newsday Article
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

4. Re: Re: Values
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Non-DMC request?
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

6. RE: ebay Louvre Struts or another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. Re: ebay Louvre Struts or another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

8. Possible fuel system problem/observation
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Fuel line cross refrence
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Maybe Catalytic?
From: "Redgee Capili" <redgee_at_dml_capili.org>

11. Re: Soft brake peddle UPDATE
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. RE: Powdercoated DMC frames experience anyone?
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:28:53 -0600
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: RE: Powdercoated DMC frames experience anyone?

The main fear on galvanizing is that it will stress relieve the frame and cause it to twist.  I don't recall that ever happening to any D frame but it could happen on the next one.  The other issue, albeit minor, is that the holes and threaded points will fill in. There are ways to minimize this.
Any remaining original finish will burn off and end up in their tank.  They won't like that.

My opinion ... blast the bad points and where the finish looks as good as new (mostly in the middle of the frame), leave alone.  Powdercoat the exposed areas using a zinc rich primer coat.  Your choice on galvanizing or powdercoating the trailing arms.

Nick

nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net writes:

The  training arms were galvanized due to the harsher environment.

The  finish is great and durable.  I don't drive it a lot so I can't  reply relative to its long lasting  performance.

Nick

I plan on removing my entire suspension later this winter and getting it refurbished. Should I get everything powdercoated or galvanized?  Drawbacks to either one?

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:22:16 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: ebay Louvre Struts or another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!

I don't mind embarrassing myself if some good will come out of it.

Can someone please measure the center to center length of a louvre strut  and let me know what it should be.  My "originals" measure 18.25" but  some replacements I just received from eBay are only 17.25" so they do not allow  the louvre to raise up enough which prevents the engine cover from raising up enough to catch the holding bracket.... Not to mention they seem too  strong.

Another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!

D & 6530

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 02:40:36 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Newsday Article

hi

i would say here in the UK the Delorean will get more attention.

i see a few Ferraris a year, but have never seen a Delorean on the road (not even mine yet!) i get loads of people young/old who stop when i am working on her to chat, complete strangers.

don't get me wrong i do like ferraris, but a delorean is a rarer beast here and though lots of people have never seen one...everybody knows what it is!.

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

> More recognized & more fun to drive... probably yes, but as far as
getting more
> attention... no.
>
> Joe O'Brien & I have a friend who owned a Ferrari 308 (the Magnum
P.I. car). When
> driving around one day (Joe & 'friend' in the Ferrari) and me
following behind,
> we came to a stop light. Joe heard the people on the corner
yell, "awe wow look
> at that car", "cool a DeLorean" - totally ignoring the bright red
Ferrari right
> in front of them. This also happend to me on other occations while
driving with
> the Ferrari.
>
> Shannon Y
> 16506
>
> ---------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:18:32 -0500
>    From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_h...>
> Subject: RE: Re: Newsday Article
>
> Having owned both; I disagree. The Ferrari is more recognized and,
in my opinion
> as a driver, more enjoyable because you can experience more open
air. The
> Delorean is a great car (with fantastic styling), don't get me
wrong, but half of
> the
> attention it gets is from people uneducated about the marquee and
with all kinds
> of
> theories about what motor is in it, drug conspiracies, and whether
or not JZD is
> still in jail (RIP). If only JZD could have designed the inside of
the Ferrari
> (Not nearly as cozy). I'm just saying let's not let our
imaginations get outta
> hand
> here...;-)
>
> > To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com> From: blackaddertoo_at_dml_y...> Date:
Mon, 16 Jan

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 20:45:32 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Values

Dan wrote:

>> want. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> http://www.nada.com/
>
> 1981 DMC-12 low retail: $9,950
>
> "Low Retail Value
> This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing
> only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior
> would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be
> a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most
> usable "as-is".
>
> Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily
> Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a
> value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use
> the low retail value.
>
> Note: This value does not represent a "parts car"."

Sounds about right. I got my D for $8000.. 37k miles but they weren't very good miles apparently. Needed about $2000 worth of work to be made roadworthy and safe once more, most of that being in a replacement shifter crossgate cable, a waterpump, a major tune up, and replacing/rebuilding most of the brake system.  I was originally going just do that and drive it for awhile but I opted for a full resto instead to get it over with.

VIN# 3209

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:21:27 -0500
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>
Subject: Non-DMC request?

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
Please respond directly to Ed

*****  Mike G  Moderator of the Week

Hi everyone, sorry for the non-D Content, but I need to ask around, just in case somebody may be able to help us out, and if the moderator will kindly allow me....

I'm looking around to see if anybody has any family or friends in Germany (Frankfurt and/or Berlin), who might have a spare room, attic, basement, own a Bed & Breakfast, etc., that three people could stay in during a short visit; we'd of course be happy to pay a reasonable compensation for the courtesy.  I am going to Germany for 10 days this summer with two other friends & we're seeking out places to stay; hotels are pretty much sold out due to the Soccer (the reason we're going!).

We will be in Frankfurt June 09-12, and then in Berlin from June 12-16.
(sadly, not near Stuttgart!)

Please contact me off-list if you have any possibilities for us...
Thanks!
- ed

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:59:09 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Dan, my new Stabilus Struts are 19 1/2" Center to center to lift it a little higher.

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 04:10:13 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I just went out and measured a couple of sets. Original 05/81 date code
Lift-O-Mats are 17" ball center to center. I have a car here with a set
of Grady's that are a couple of years old - same measurement. The
louvers and hood work fine. You may have something else out of
adjustment.

Dave S.

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 06:16:55 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Possible fuel system problem/observation

I noticed while pumping the gas out of my tank that some fuel was
coming out of the return line. I pumped the fuel via the fuel pump to
the filter and collected it from there. Why would fuel come back
through the return line? Possibly from the accumulator? If that is
true than is it possible that my system pressure could be low due to
this leak into the return line? Or is a little escape through the
accumulator normal?

Nathan

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 04:23:39 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuel line cross refrence

Hello all,

While cleaning out my tank I think I will replace rubber fuel line
between the pump and the hard line. Is there a suitable replacement
available at Kragen or the like?

Nathan

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:14:59 -0800
From: "Redgee Capili" <redgee_at_dml_capili.org>
Subject: Maybe Catalytic?

Hi Everyone

It's been a while since I've written the group.  I read through some of the
archives (lots of great information there), but I was hoping to get some
experienced minds on this one.

I recently failed my smot test (California), and the results were as
follows:

At 15mph
RPM - 1916
CO2 - 14.2
O2 - 0.1
HC - 141max, 45ave, 94meas
CO - 0.99max, 0.16ave, 0.94meas
NO - 1148max, 434ave, 45meas
Result - Pass

At 25mph
RPM - 1903
CO2 - 14.4
O2 - 0.5
HC - 113max, 33ave, 15meas
CO - 0.79max, 0.14ave, 0.00meas <--- this showed normal after a manual test
NO - 978max, 357ave, 1787meas  <<<<< problem - pass is 1100
Result - Fail

The technician went through a series of checks based on the results and he
suggested either the fuel injection or fuel pump not sending enough gas OR
the catalytic converter is no longer effective.  The Nitrogen Oxide readings
were high - everything else seemed fine.  The test results above were from
one run, we got the high NO readings on the second run - truly weird.

Reading through some of the previous threads in the list, I could actually
also blame additional things like:
    1. Gas in the tank is about 6 months old - haven't been driving it much
(this will change :-))
    2. I've been using 91 octane (many of you felt strongly about keeping it
at 87 octane).

Well, before I was thinking of doing a fuel injection flush, or at least run
a cleaner through the system.  Pipe out as much of the old gas as possible
and refill with 87.  Then finally look at the catalytic converter (maybe use
SpecialT's catalytic replacement).  Does this sound right to you guys?  Does
the catalytic converter (41k original miles) sound like the culprit here, as
recommended by the technician?  Thanks.

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 04:14:09 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Soft brake peddle UPDATE

A suggestion.

You can get airline check valves from fish/pet stores.  The check
valves are used in conjunction with air pump to prevent water from
siphoned into the air pump.

The check valve costs about 2 bucks.  Connect to your bleed line and
voila.  Automatic one way valve.  No need to pinch the line with pliers.

Steve
VIN#04421

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:01:35 -0500
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

Nick,

Since powdercoating needs to be baked, you either have to coat all or none
of it.  Also, pre-pairing a metal to be powdercoated needs to be totally
grease free, and often is dipped into a media that promotes the powder to
bind during curing.  I don't know of the galvanizing would effect the powder
binding.  My friends Porshe shop has powder coated tubs,  it is usually a
day process.  You bring the frame up, they media blast it, coat it and you
drive home with it.  Really cool stuff, probably the best way to coat and
entire frame.  It holds up extremely well.  There are certain powders that
have uv protection, and takes the abuse, I believe the epoxy variants.

-Shain