From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 3:44 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3087

1. Re: Re: ebay Louvre Struts or another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Values
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

3. (unknown)
From: "Matt Carpenter" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com>

4. Re: Delorean tires
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

5. Re: Thanks All (Was: Otterstat Popped Out While Driving)
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. Happy 25'th Anniversary DMC!
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. RE: Re: Maybe Catalytic?
From: "Redgee Capili" <redgee_at_dml_capili.org>

8. Re: Re: Values
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. DMC - Rear-End Collision Denver
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

10. Re: Deloreans in Toronto
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

11. Re: ebay Louvre Struts or another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

12. Vin #500 turned 25 Today
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

13. torque numbers
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: ebay Louvre Struts or another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. RE: Delorean in book.
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. 'deloreans' magazine back issues
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

17. We'd be remiss to not mention the Banshee Concept on sale at Barrett-Jackson...
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Auto Trans Governor
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

19. RE: Re: ebay Louvre Struts or another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

20. Re: torque numbers
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: torque numbers
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

22. Anyone ever find out what the IRS auction in
From: "patmolamphy" <patmolamphy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Deloreans mag subscription question.
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Barret-Jakcson Auction
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:03:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: ebay Louvre Struts or another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!

IIRC, there are 2 styles of this part.  The early ones were straigt, later ones are bent.

I replaced my (straight) one with one from DMCH.  The replacement was bent.

--- Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:56:40 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Values

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_g...> wrote:
>Claiming a car is low book simply because it's driven often is
>ridiculous. It really depends on the market for that particular car.
>
>-Ryan

I feel the same way, and take a bit different position on the argument.
I purchased a car that was all original and cosmetically in great
condition. I wanted to use this as a daily driver, so I have been
putting money into making it reliable as a everyday car. I did not want
to go out and buy a "$9k book value" car in poor cosmetic condition
simply because it has 100k miles on the clock and can run good. As
after looking into the lack of interior parts, the cost to redo an
interior or exterior panels of a D is much more costly than putting
money towards mechanical parts that are still in abundance.

My option was a $12k car in good running order but needing lots of
cosmetic work, or a $14k car with 3k miles and great cosmetic
condition, but all original. I opted for the better looking car, as I'd
rather spend the time fixing mechanical components that I know are done
once I finish with them.

-Derek #10084

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:32:08 -0700
From: "Matt Carpenter" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: (unknown)

I've tested my auto tranny with DML member Johnny Sawyer's light box and
believe my transmission computer governor needs replacing.

Can some fellow automatic owners advise which vendor's governor has worked
best?

Thanks,
Matt Carpenter
5586
AZ-D.ORG

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:51:36 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean tires

I have done the same thing in downsizing the back tire one notch.
Many more options are available. Picked up some Fuzion (by BF
Goodwrench) at tire rack, good reviews, for about $45 per tire. After
having them mounted locally, the bill was under $300.

-Derek #10084

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> My solution that I am very happy with is high performance Falken
Ziex
> (manufactured by Sumitomo)..   the front is 195-60-R-14 and rear
slight
> compromise 225-60-R-15 these are sharp looking tires same tread
pattern
> (which is H speed rated)   They are a directional tire and black
not the
> RWL.   full road hazard and full warranty all 4 for 399.99!...   go
to any
> discount tire store.
>
> ROdney
> 3300
>

> On 1/16/06, Tom Tait <TTait_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> >
> > I have Goodrich TA with the RWL side mounted in and the Blackwall
facing
> > out on rears.  Note that the front tires I got (TA Traction) are
black
> > on both sides, which is good as they have a rotation orientation
and
> > could not be flipped.

Behalf
> > Of Cliff Schmucker
> > Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 12:59 PM
> > To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: Re: [DML] Re: Delorean tires
> >
> > well, it seems that the 235/60/15 situation has changed more than
> > realized - so far have not been able to find anything other than
RWL

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:13:18 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Thanks All (Was: Otterstat Popped Out While Driving)

Daniel,

Glad to here everything is ok now with the cooling system.

Now the squealing brakes, check the pads for wear, replace if
necessary.  Check the rotors for wear, replace if necessary, basically
do a brake system check, you could take the car to a shop and have
them look at them.  They are just brakes after all, standard style
braking system.  I'm starting that whole brake thing this weekend on
6704, along with replacing the TABs.  And "while I'm in there" doing
everything else that needs to be done.  Especially since I will be
removeing the trailing arms the hard way, drop them from the car to
get the rusty old bolts out.

I guarantee that some vendors are going to be collecting some cash
from me.

Bernie

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:36:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Happy 25'th Anniversary DMC!

    25 years ago today, vin 500 rolled off the assembly line.  I guess that would make this the official day.

  Chuck

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:42:24 -0800
From: "Redgee Capili" <redgee_at_dml_capili.org>
Subject: RE: Re: Maybe Catalytic?

Great, thanks Dave, Harold, Tom et al.  Those are all good places to check.
I'll probably start this weekend and do as much of the easy stuff as I can.
The vacuum leak didn't even come to mind - thanks for bringing it up.  The
CC is probably the last thing I'll look at after a retest.  Thanks again.

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:03:55 -0700
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Values

On 1/20/06, Dan <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_g...> wrote:
> >
> > Ryan:
> >
> > Well Put!!... I agree wholeheartedly. The value of the car is to drive
> > it
>
> Okay, then I guess both of those '81 AMEX gold plated museum cars hold
> no value whatsoever, lol.

Dan:   I agree, the 3 gold D's have a completely different value system all
together, and due to the inherent "softness" of the gold plating should not
even be driven at all...

> and when I do at some point sell mine, it WILL get high book value due
> > to it's drivability and usefulness again due to it's drivability.
>
> It has also better be close to cosmetically flawless, like a concours
> car, as well as drivable if you realistically expect to get the NADA
> High Retail Value of $29,700 for it.

I'm not attempting to knock anybody's car. The reality is, no matter
> how "drivable" or mechanically solid a car is, if it's in mediocre to
> poor cosmetic shape, and needs restoration, it simply not going to

bring top dollar.

QUITE A BIG GAP BETWEEN "COSMETICALLY FLAWLESS"  and MEDIOCRE TO POOR
COSMETIC SHAPE.

anyway I would say it is in cosmetically excellent condition and very
dependable.

I would pose another question, how about the cars that are in say "excellent
cosmetic condition"  but don't run.  The "trailer queens"   what value do
they bring?   I wouldn't pay anything beyond mid value.

The other thing Dan, that you don't take into consideration is your very own
mindset.   If you don't believe a car is going to get beyond a certain
value, you simply won't be able to sell it for anything beyond that value.
For example,   I am a business owner and "hobnob" with the very very
wealthy,   many of these folks are somewhat eccentric, a little like myself
for even owning the car.    Anyway, I could have already sold 3300 for over
30,000 if I had wanted to.   I have a few standing offers to buy it for
$30,000.   once I get 10544 fully restored,   I just don't want to be
without the pleasure of driving the car.    My point is I put the value on
the car by my belief in it.   These folks also see the great condition the
car is in and the mechanically excellent condition and would gladly pay me a
fellow business owner that they respect without even researching or checking
values.   They see the value of my INDIVIDUAL car of which I set the value
myself.

I hope that make sense.   It is my reality.   Folks that live in $2million
dollar mansions have 30,000 in pocket change to spend on whims.     Dan,
forgive the verbose monologue but it is folks like you guys that hurt the
value of the car by deciding "arbitrarily" that you can't get more than a
certain value for it.   Perhaps you can't..   I Can.  BUT BECAUSE YOU DON'T
BELIEVE YOU CAN, AND THE OTHER DELOREAN OWNERS THAT DON'T VALUE THEIR
LIMITED EDITION CARS AND ARE WILLING TO SELL THEM FOR CHEAP, THEN THEY MAY
STAY RELATIVELY CHEAP.

RODNEY

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:35:46 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: DMC - Rear-End Collision Denver

Bad news for me and my Delorean, after 21 years of ownership and over 42K miles the worst has finally happened to vin 03254. It was a nice day Tuesday a week ago in Denver so I decided to stretch her legs and drive to work.

On the way home suddenly all of the cars in front of me started performing a strange dance! Everybody was stopping or darting onto the shoulder of the road and changing lanes. Fortunately I had plenty of room to stop but by looking in the mirror, I noticed the person behind me may not have enough room so I took my foot off the brake. As it turns out I was right, the car behind me crashed into the passenger side square in the tail pipe. She tried to make it onto the shoulder of the road but ran out of space.

The damage is limited due to the relatively slow speed of the accident and the fact that my car was able to roll a bit after impact, but it is still going to be costly to the other drivers insurance. Like I said I was hit right in the tailpipe so my muffler was mangled and shoved into the heatshield, which was crushed and mangled just missing the alternator. Also my rear fascia is creased, scared and knocked out of alignment. No damage to any of the stainless and except for the muffler/heatshield brackets and bolts the damage is pretty minimal. The Celica actually got underneath me a bit so my tail lights and license plate frame are all intact!

I consider myself lucky it was a new Toyota Celica and not an SUV here in Colorado! An SUV would have destroyed my backside! More good news is I think (No agreement yet) the insurance company is convinced that the best way to get my car fixed right is to pay for sending it to DMCH. No pressure though Warren and company.... Right now I am waiting for the final estimate then I need to arrange transportation and scheduling.

What I find curious is that yes my brakes are fairly good, as in 4 wheel disks in reasonable working order, the Celica has a great braking system including ABS, so I guess driver error is really the best explanation for why they couldn't stop in time?!?

Have a Great Day.

Dan Haney
Vin 03254 In need of a bit of TLC

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:59:29 -0500 (EST)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Deloreans in Toronto

Im just outside of Windsor. Email me if you're ever down that way.

Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com> wrote:  Okay, I can't help with those Pittsburgh sightings...

But who on this list has a Delorean in or near Toronto?

Parts Pit Mike

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:42:03 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

I'm inclined to think that if you accidentally tried to force the engine
cover closed, something else would break long before that metal engine  cover
stay would bend. Mine is pretty heavy.

My research seems to show that some louvre struts are 17" but the ones I  got
are going back as they seemed way too stiff as well.  (Had 200N  written on
them ? Newtons?)  I am purchasing ones that are longer, like the  ones on the
car now.

Lesson #2415   learned,

D & 6530

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:00:17 -0500
From: Hank <heskin_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: ebay Louvre Struts or another reason to buy from a DeLorean

 Vendor!

I believe that usually happens by accident, when someone tries  to
force close the engine cover without releasing the latch - it  buckles.
I don't think I've ever seen an example where it was done  on
purpose.

-Hank

On 1/19/06, Martin Gutkowski - DMC  Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk> wrote:
> I've seen lots of cars where  the triangular metal part of the engine
> cover catch is bent to make it  shorter and overcome the problem of not
> being able to lift it high  enough for the catch to click into place
>
>  Martin

Thank  you,

Dave

"Just Say  NO, to the COUCH POTATO!"

To see how go to _www.tvpedaler.com_ (http://www.tvpedaler.com/)

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:41:46 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Vin #500 turned 25 Today

Vin 500 rolled off the assembly line on January 21st, 1981, making
the DeLorean officially 25 years old today.

5 months until Pheasant Run!
-Patrick C.
Vin 1880

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:14:56 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: torque numbers

Group,

I am looking for the correct torque values for the oil pan bolts and the
valve covers.  I searched the shop manual and these are not listed with the  rest
of the torque recommendations.

Any ideas?

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:11:48 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Another reason to buy from a DeLorean Vendor!

Best thing about your post right there. Those struts they sell on eBay
are not even Delorean struts at all. They are just close to the struts
we use.

Most are just Autozone or other chains overstock items anyway.

I wouldn't even put them on my regular cars unless I could match part
#s and models exactly.

not worth the risk or damaging a door, or cracking a Louvre to save 5
bucls or so, and then after shipping usually you are almost at the
same amount.

eBay used to be great, but anymore it is just a peddlers junk
electronic flea market.

Buyer beware.

-Joe O'Brien

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:33:31 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Delorean in book.

   I received a real nice car book as a 6-month belated birthday present:
100 Cars  100 Years  by Fredric Winkowski & Frank D. Sullivan     2003
On P. 136 for the year 1981, they feature a Delorean. They do a nice, but
brief, write up on the car and John.  This car has a New Jersey tag,
automatic, and it was signed by Delorean on the driver's door jamb.  Good
full-page photos.  Whoever it belongs to, it's a nice addition to the book.
  Good reading!         Drive Stainless    Robert     VIN 6924

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:34:16 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: 'deloreans' magazine back issues

Several people have emailed me about the deal we are offering for new
subscribers this weekend on the magazine:

http://delorean.com/06Newsletters/1-20-06_news.html

This offer is for new subscribers only, though if you previously had a
subscription and have let it lapse, email me directly at
james(at)delorean.com and I will work with you to get the issues that
you may have missed. This offer is through the end of the day MONDAY,
January 23rd.

2006, the 25th anniversary of the DeLorean, is looking to be a very
exciting year with all the events and such. We'll be attending the
three big shows this year, as well as several regional events, as well.

If you represent an organized regional or national group and would
like your events or other information about your group listed, contact
me directly at the email address above, as well.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:37:34 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: We'd be remiss to not mention the Banshee Concept on sale at Barrett-Jackson...

...just because it's mentioned so many times in the official lore.

http://www.barrett-
jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=181761

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:51:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Auto Trans Governor

If you are buying NOS they are all the same as far as functionality.
The only difference will be price, shipping, and availablity. You
might consider either trying to repair it or sending it out for
repair. In many cases they are repairable for a lot less than
replacement. It is certainly worth a try before going for a new one.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Matt Carpenter" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_m...>

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:51:58 -0500
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Marc,

That sounds correct as the straight ones tended to bind on the engine cover.
You can easily update the early straight version to the later bent one with
a bench vise and a hammer. I believe DMCH has both versions in their
inventory but the bent ones usually work better. There is however a third
version used on at least one of the earliest cars that had a shape similar
to the bottom half of an hourglass if you can visualize that. I replaced it
years ago for someone because it was rusted and the plastic slide was
broken. At one point I sent it to be re-plated and now it graces a DeLorean
curio shelf above my desk which also contains Legend turbo parts and a set
of triple Weber carbs with PVR manifolds.

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady

wrote:

> I've seen lots of cars where the triangular metal
> part of the engine
> cover catch is bent to make it shorter and overcome
> the problem of not
> being able to lift it high enough for the catch to
> click into place
>
> Martin

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:02:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: torque numbers

Try A:03:04 or C:02:03 Sump Fixing Bolts. I didn't find a torque value
for the rocker cover bolts but you can probably use the same torque
setting. I just get them snug and then a little bit more.

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:47:37 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

It would make sense to me if the valve cover bolts were to be
tightened the same as the timing cover bolts (which I believe there is
ia value listed for...11-15 ft*lbs???).  The bolts are the same size.

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 00:49:10 -0000
From: "patmolamphy" <patmolamphy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Anyone ever find out what the IRS auction in

Texas sold the D for?
Pat

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 03:45:53 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

So a current subscriber can not renew and get the back issues?  For example,
I have one more magazine coming under my subscription.  I can not
resubscribe today and get the next five issues and the back issues?

I would have to subscribe to this offer and get two of the next issue, and
then I would get all the back issues?

Also, I am having a difficult time subscribing to the e-newsletter.  I have
tried multiple times on multiple days with multiple email names and it
doesnt send me a confirmation email.  Any suggestions?
-Alex Morgan

Quote:

http://www.delorean.com"

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 03:06:43 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Barret-Jakcson Auction

OK, who bought the Banshee, designed and built by the JZD?  Beautifull
car, I just hope a DeLorean owner got it.  Maybe bring to the DCS?

Bernie