From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 7:25 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3089

1. Re: Drive the dream?
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

2. Orlando Car Show 1-21-06
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

3. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

4. Re: Drive the dream?
From: andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: We'd be remiss to not mention the Banshee Concept on sale at Barrett-Jackson
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Deloreans mag subscription question.
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

7. new headlight switches (was)'deloreans' magazine back issues
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Drive the dream?
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Re: DMC - Rear-End Collision Denver
From: "Susan Zimmer" <zimmer_at_dml_cox.net>

10. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Barret-Jakcson Auction
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

13. Re: Drive the dream?
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

14. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "biojerm" <Jedamay_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. Sheepskin Covers for Seats
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

16. Re: Drive the dream?
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

17. Anything to Win - JZD Documentary
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

18. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

19. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

20. Re: new headlight switches
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

21. Porsche 915 in a DMC.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Barret-Jakcson Auction
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

24. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

25. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "Matt Carpenter" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:54:47 -0500 (EST)
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>
Subject: Re: Drive the dream?

Just remember there is no rule for how long a restoration has to take.

  Parts Pit Mike

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 01:09:23 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Orlando Car Show 1-21-06

I'll wait for one of the others to fill everyone in on the car show in
Old Towne yesterday, I had to leave just before the parade started.  A
large weekly car show, tons of cars each Saturday, the Delorean was
one of the two featured cars (Hudson was the other), led the parade.
I was going to create an album for those attending to put photos, I
have a couple good ones, but the storage space is almost gone.
Anyway, a great time, the crowd was VERY interested in the cars,
thrilled to see them.

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:03:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From yourt description the price sounds about right. To repair and/or
replace what you will need it will probably get you to the magic # of
$20,000. That seems to be the average price you get to after purchese
and repairs. You will spend even more to replace the motor than to get
the origional running right. In fact, all it may need is a relay to
get the Lambda running again and a tune-up. You will probably need a
shift computer for the trans. Not that big a deal and maybe you can
even fix the old one. Figure also rebuilding the brake system, fixing
the A/C, doing all the updates, in other words undoing all the P.O's
work and doing it correctly. Find the local group of owners and they
can be of great help. You should probably get one of them to look the
car over for you BEFORE you buy it so they can help you make a list of
what it needs. Before this car will be a daily driver you will have to
spend a lot of money on it. Start by looking at the frame in the front
and around the motor. If there is a lot of rot on it negotiate the
price, frame repair can get expensive.

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:29:52 EST
From: andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com

If you love your car the Delorean is a good car to own. However be warned,
on $30,000 a year you will have to go slow with repairs. The car is a money
pit,  and no the price you are paying doesn't sound bad but be ready for another
10,000 or so to get the car the way you will want it. If you love a challenge
 and can do most of the work yourself, go for it. Anything you need to know
about  the car you can find here, the members can tell you how to fix anything,
where  to buy anything and in a pinch will even come help you if they live
close  by. The time is now "live the dream"

Andy Blackmon 03513

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 05:49:05 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: We'd be remiss to not mention the Banshee Concept on sale at Barrett-Jackson

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> ...just because it's mentioned so many times in the official lore.
>
> http://www.barrett-
> jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=181761

I saw the XP-833 today. Being a Corvette enthusiast I could not resist
going to have a look at what was an obvious influence on the C3's
styling. It sold for $210,600. Not a bad deal considering the
Bonneville Special and last years Olds F-88 concepts both sold for
over 3 million a piece.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:35:37 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

Current subscribers should email me directly to arrange a offer
designed just for them if they wish to renew or extend their
subscription.

james (at) delorean.com

James Espey
Visit http://www.dmchelp.com for tech advice from the pros who know!
Brought to you by DMC (Texas), PJ Grady, DeLorean Motor Center and DMC
(Florida)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_h...> wrote:

> So a current subscriber can not renew and get the back issues?  For
example,
> I have one more magazine coming under my subscription.  I can not
> resubscribe today and get the next five issues and the back issues?
>
>(SNIP)
> -Alex Morgan
>

> Quote:
> "Several people have emailed me about the deal we are offering for new
> subscribers this weekend on the magazine:
>
> http://delorean.com/06Newsletters/1-20-06_news.html

(SNIP)

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:45:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: new headlight switches (was)'deloreans' magazine back issues

Hey James any idea as to when the new headlight switches will be done
  and mailed out?

James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com> wrote:
  Several people have emailed me about the deal we are offering for new
subscribers this weekend on the magazine:

http://delorean.com/06Newsletters/1-20-06_news.html

This offer is for new subscribers only, though if you previously had a
subscription and have let it lapse, email me directly at
james(at)delorean.com and I will work with you to get the issues that
you may have missed. This offer is through the end of the day MONDAY,
January 23rd.

2006, the 25th anniversary of the DeLorean, is looking to be a very
exciting year with all the events and such. We'll be attending the
three big shows this year, as well as several regional events, as well.

If you represent an organized regional or national group and would
like your events or other information about your group listed, contact
me directly at the email address above, as well.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:43:48 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

On 1/22/06, biojerm <Jedamay_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:

> As it would turn out, i just ran across someone who is selling a 82
> delorean 20k miles on it and I was wondering if I should get it.

No. Just from your brief description I can tell you the car is a
basket case. Stay away from it.

Here's what you would need to make this car something you can drive and enjoy:

1. An enclosed garage to park it in and work on it.
2. A healthy supply of good tools.
3. A healthy supply of disposable income.
4. A lot of time and mechanical ability.

> wants $7k for it,

You'll spend another $7k fixing enough of the problems to drive and
enjoy it. Note, this won't necessarily make it reliable, or nice. Just
somewhat useful.

> I want to save up and get a v8 put in it eventually for a more
> reliable car. but im having a hard time find out what kind of tranny
> these things have and how much they are to replace if this one needs
> to be replaced. Any and everyone I call has no idea what it has except
> for "delorean" transmission.

The V8 won't make it any more reliable. Expect to spend a huge amount
of time and/or money for this. I've been looking into an engine swap
myself and I've found that it's not a minor thing. This isn't a Fiero
where you can find forums full of people who've done swaps and can
give you advice. If you try to perform an engine swap you're basically
on your own here.

The transmission is probably just fine, actually. A new/repaired
transmission computer will probably fix it. Not for certain, though.
You might have to spend several thousand dollars to replace it. Hard
to tell without looking at it.

> This will be my first/only delorean and I only make about $30k a year,
> but im willing to do whatever it takes to drive my dream car.
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes. Don't buy this car. You don't make enough money.

A DeLorean is a $20k car, give or take. There are exceptions but this
is basically the magic number. Now, you can buy a car for ~$20k that
will be in excellent condition and perfectly usable or you can buy a
car for $10k and put another $10k+ into it. That's pretty much how it
goes for the vast majority of us.

To put it bluntly, you can't afford a twenty thousand dollar car.
Certainly not one that, at random times, will require a thousand bucks
worth of parts and 10 hours of skilled labor - unobtainable in most
areas - to repair again. The $7,000 car looks affordable, but if it's
like most $7,000 DeLoreans it's really a $30,000 car in disguise.
Meaning you'll probably have to put that much into it before you start
to enjoy it.

> But am i going to have to use all
> my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and tranny?

Considering your income, yes, pretty much.

I know you want a DeLorean. We were all in your situation at one time.
My advice to you is to work on two things: One, save your money. Two,
increase your income. When you're pulling in $60k and you've saved up
$20k in cash, then go out and buy your dream car. But get a good one
that you'll actually be proud of, not a $7,000 piece of junk.

Also, I know you didn't come here looking for financial advice, but I
highly recommend you listen to a man by the name of Dave Ramsey. He's
on talk radio stations across the US and you can find your local
station at www.daveramsey.com. The fact that you're thinking of
spending $7k on a 25 year old basket case of a car, with a $30k
income, tells me you could use his excellent (and completely free)
financial advice. That isn't a slam, by the way; I was once in your
shoes and I'm trying to help you avoid the same financial mistakes I
once made. Just listen to (or download from his web site) a few of
Dave's shows and he will set you straight.

-Ryam

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:35:03 -0800
From: "Susan Zimmer" <zimmer_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: DMC - Rear-End Collision Denver

Dan,
Sincere sympathy to you and VIN 03254.  She was just a "sitting duck."  It's just heartbreaking.  Also, I'm thankful that you didn't suffer injuries, as well.   It sounds like the driver of the Celica was "inattentive" because ABS won't help in that case.  You were smart to take your foot off the brake to allow the impact to dissipate a bit by displacing your car.

If you need a lead to a nice covered transport, please write back.  I just had VIN 16409 trailered from Washington State back "home" to Southern California and this firm provided real good service.  Picked-up and delivered as promised for reasonable money.

We have had VIN 16409 (license plate "NO WAX") in the family since 1984.  She has 160K miles and looks great.

Best wishes,
Susan Zimmer (1st Generation)
DyAnne Weamire (2nd Generation)
Jenna Weamire (3rd Generation)

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:57:42 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "biojerm" <Jedamay_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> Im 25 and have always wanted to own a delorean, but never figured i
> would get one until i was in my 40's.
>
> As it would turn out, i just ran across someone who is selling a 82
> delorean 20k miles on it and I was wondering if I should get it...
> A handfull of misc. problems <driver window slipping, buttons
> falling off, missing keys, etc... Engine starts choking when givin
> over 1/2 throttle...Tranny gears work <automatic> but you have to
> manual switch to first, then manual switch to drive at the right
> speed, 2nd and 3rd work fine... the entire dash has been custom
> replaced <not original>...
> This will be my first/only delorean and I only make about $30k
> a year, but im willing to do whatever it takes to drive my dream
> car. Anyone have any suggestions?

Are you going to drive your dream, or end up possessing a nightmare?
Good chance it will be the latter. First thing you should do is read
this article by Dave Stragand called "How (NOT) to Buy A Cheap DeLorean":
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/restoration.htm
In that article he mentions something known in the DeLorean community
called "the rule of 20". Here the rule in Dave's own words:

"The "Rule of 20", if you are unfamiliar with it, is Cost of DeLorean
+ Cost of parts and service = $20,000. That's about $5,000 more than a
D in nice shape to begin with..."

Now days I hear it's the "rule of 24" as in $24K, and no longer $20K.
So take $24K, subtract the $7K you pay for the car, and the remaining
$17K is what you will be looking at putting into it to end up with a
car worth about $19K. As with any collectible or vintage car, you are
better off buying the absolute best example you can afford because it
will be cheaper and less hassle in the long run. Trust me, that's 100%
true!

> ...said he tried it on the freeway and got it to 60mph but isnt a
> delorean fan and just wants to get rid of it.

He was enough of a fan to acquire the car, but he's probably no longer
a fan due to the mess he has on his hands. I think the "Project Car
Spiral" Dave mentioned probably applies here.

> I want to save up and get a v8 put in it eventually for a more
> reliable car.

That's not the solution for reliability issues. The DeLorean's PRV V6
is not a powerful engine, but when properly maintained it is a strong,
durable and RELIABLE engine. I've heard of those motors going 250K+
miles before needing an overhaul when maintained. V8s, as far as I
know, do not fit well, and cutting the frame would most likely be
required. Wrong move, at least in my personal opinion. Plus engine
swaps with a motor other than another PRV V6 requires someone with a
clue and experience. "Bubba" at the nearest general repair shop is not
the person for the job. I'd even venture to say that you will have
more issues with a different motor and a questionable install than you
would if you just properly fixed it's original factory components.
When all of a DeLorean's problems are found and properly addressed by
the right people, and the car is correctly cared for, you should have
very little trouble with it.

> ...but im having a hard time find out what kind of tranny
> these things have and how much they are to replace if this one needs
> to be replaced. Any and everyone I call has no idea what it has
> except for "delorean" transmission.

Please do not take this as an insult, but for someone who claims he
has always wanted a DeLorean, and that it's your "dream car", you
don't appear to know very much about them. With the Internet and
Google, there's no reason for this. If you Google the word "DeLorean",
the first result is DeLorean Motor Company in Houston. One call to
their 800 number would have told you what automatic transmission it
has, and how much it would cost to replace it if it indeed actually
needs to be replaced. It's a Renault transmission by the way. Going to
mechanics or shops not familiar with the car is asking for trouble.
The best people to service these cars are the DeLorean vendors who
offer service. The next best place would be a shop who specializes in
older Volvos and who are familiar with the B28F engine.

Here's another piece of advice. I'm not sure where you are, but we can
help you find the closest DeLorean club to you. I suggest you join,
and ask them to help you. Perhaps someone in that club can look at the
car for you before you spend the money. If the club closest to you is
anything like mine, AZ-D, it's the best money you can spend for
support and guidance. Also, I have a list of about 70 DeLorean related
links. E-mail me and I'll send them to you. Go to each one and READ
EVERYTHING! They are all the links that helped me "do my homework"
before I purchased.

> Im not really looking
> into restoring it to original parts. But am i going to have to use
> all my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and
> tranny?

You need a qualified DeLorean mechanic to go over the car before it
can be determined whether you need a new powertrain or not. Chances
are you don't, but if after only 20K miles the powertrain is destroyed
from neglect and abuse, then the rest of the car was just as
mistreated, and you should walk away.

You didn't even mention the condition of the frame. If it's rusted
under the epoxy coating, then it's a parts car, period.

These are exotic cars, and in many cases they require a lot of
attention to keep them happy. You'd better keep a spot in your
personal budget just for the DeLorean.

I wish you luck. By coming to the DML you made smart move. Stay on
that path. Do your homework and make a smart decision based off of
what you learn. If your head is telling you to pass on this one, then
pass regardless of how bad you want one. There are about 6,000 more
out there to sort through. Wait 'till you can afford a good one.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:12:08 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Barret-Jakcson Auction

Speaking of Barrett-Jackson, GM Futureliner #11, that sold last
Saturday, has a Web site. On the home page there is a vintage GM film
clip featuring the GM Futureliners that has been mated with a very
familiar, more contemporary soundtrack with a "futuristic" theme.
Check it out at:

http://www.futurelinerforsale.com/

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 00:48:31 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

Not to dissapoint you, but my experience is that you are risking
spending thousands upon thousands upon thousands to keep it
running.  If you can work on it yourself, and don't mind long
periods of time when it can't get out of the garage, that's one
thing, and still expensive.  But if you want it running, and running
realiably, and more importantly safely, and don't do the work
yourself, get prepared for the unplanned expensive repair bills over
and over and over, even after you think it's all finished.  You're
not necesarily paying too much, but $7,000 will seem like a drop in
the bucket.

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:04:50 +0000 (GMT)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

The DeLorean engine is very reliable, why not just keep it like that. You will save a lot of money and bother by keeping the original engine too. I think as soon as someone starts swopping engines the car is no longer a proper DMC-12.

  Once you have the engine and gearbox sorted, you will love it!

  My car was $7,600 when I got it on ebay, and I have spent over the same amount getting mine driving and looking good. I'd say I have another $5000 to put into it before it begins to look very good.

  Good luck
  Thomas Mc Auley
  Belfast, Northern Ireland
  Vin #4087

biojerm <Jedamay_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:
  Hello all, im new to this group.
Im 25 and have always wanted to own a delorean, but never figured i
would get one until i was in my 40's.

As it would turn out, i just ran across someone who is selling a 82
delorean 20k miles on it and I was wondering if I should get it.
had 3 owners, 20k miles on original engine, dash is custom made it
looks. only 2 small dings in body you can only see at the right angle.
A handfull of misc. problems off, missing keys, etc.>

wants $7k for it, Engine starts choking when givin over 1/2 throttle,
may be bad injector or fuel mixture, but runs great in idle and at low
speeds, said he tried it on the freeway and got it to 60mph but isnt a
delorean fan and just wants to get rid of it.

Tranny gears work but you have to manual switch to first,
then manual switch to drive at the right speed, 2nd and 3rd work fine.
the entire dash has been custom replaced .

I want to save up and get a v8 put in it eventually for a more
reliable car. but im having a hard time find out what kind of tranny
these things have and how much they are to replace if this one needs
to be replaced. Any and everyone I call has no idea what it has except
for "delorean" transmission.

This will be my first/only delorean and I only make about $30k a year,
but im willing to do whatever it takes to drive my dream car.
Anyone have any suggestions? Paying too much? Im not really looking
into restoring it to original parts. But am i going to have to use all
my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and tranny?

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:41:00 -0000
From: "biojerm" <Jedamay_at_dml_gmail.com>

on a side note, the car had been sitting on blocks from first
owner..someone purchased it, then drove it from florida to texas, then
had someone put a lean on it, and then that person is going to sell it
to me. it has had a fuel pump replaced with aftermarket which i read
can cause engine fuel starvation, and I read somewhere that the
transmission computer can cause it to not shift from 1st to
2nd...<shrug> that correct?

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:23:06 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Sheepskin Covers for Seats

Does anyone know an online vendor that sells decent sheepskin seat
covers for the Delorean that might be under $200?  I can't sit in the
vinyl seats (the previous owner covered them with vinyl instead of
leather)for long without having sweat stains on the back of my pants.

I live in MA if you happen to also know local vendors.

Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:04:10 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

biojerm wrote:
> Hello all, im new to this group.
> Im 25 and have always wanted to own a delorean, but never figured i
> would get one until i was in my 40's.

Hiya. Welcome aboard.
> As it would turn out, i just ran across someone who is selling a 82
> delorean 20k miles on it and I was wondering if I should get it.
> had 3 owners, 20k miles on original engine, dash is custom made it
> looks. only 2 small dings in body you can only see at the right angle.
> A handfull of misc. problems <driver window slipping, buttons falling
> off, missing keys, etc.>
>
> wants $7k for it, Engine starts choking when givin over 1/2 throttle,
> may be bad injector or fuel mixture, but runs great in idle and at low
> speeds, said he tried it on the freeway and got it to 60mph but isnt a
> delorean fan and just wants to get rid of it.
>
> Tranny gears work <automatic> but you have to manual switch to first,
> then manual switch to drive at the right speed, 2nd and 3rd work fine.
> the entire dash has been custom replaced <not original>.

Well the price doesn't sound bad. I'd jump on it, and i'm sure others on
this list would like the guy's name and number if you dont get the car
as well. The transmission issues sound like the governor computer needs
to be rebuilt or replaced. As for the bogging down, if you get the car
you should start with a major tuneup and have all the injectors cleaned
and tested, make sure there are no vacuum leaks,  then go from there.
> I want to save up and get a v8 put in it eventually for a more
> reliable car. but im having a hard time find out what kind of tranny
> these things have and how much they are to replace if this one needs
> to be replaced. Any and everyone I call has no idea what it has except
> for "delorean" transmission.
>
> This will be my first/only delorean and I only make about $30k a year,
> but im willing to do whatever it takes to drive my dream car.
> Anyone have any suggestions? Paying too much? Im not really looking
> into restoring it to original parts. But am i going to have to use all
> my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and tranny?

There is no need to do an engine swap just to have a reliable car. The
PRV-6 is as reliable as anything else as long as you maintain it like
any engine should be. Unless you have alot of free time, very astute
mechanical and problem solving skills, and a lot of free cash. Or even
more free cash to pay someone else to do the work if you lack the first
two, then I wouldn't recommend an engine swap.. If you did you'd
defiantly have to lose the auto. I don't think they can handle much more
HP. Though i've heard the stock UN1 5speed can take 280-300 hp as long
as it's not highly abused. I've heard of hardened gear sets and shafts
for it that can take 500hp but i'm going by memory there, and have no
idea of the cost of it either. I pondered this option with my own D but
decided against it due to the fact that my rough estimates pointed to
around having $35k in the car for any kind of worthwhile engine swap. As
it stands i'll probably have at least $20k in it just from the
restoration as it is. If you still want engine upgraded and don't know
exactly what your doing, i.e. have experience doing custom engine swaps
in other vehicles, then your best bet would probably be to get a stage2
engine from DMCH. I can guarantee it'd be cheaper and quicker than doing
an engine swap yourself, plus you wouldn't lose the support you could
get here on engine related issues

VIN# 3209

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:43:22 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Anything to Win - JZD Documentary

Premieres February 14th on the GSN Channel (Game Show Network) - this is
the film crew that was at the DMC (Texas) Open House this past summer.

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:54:48 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

Hello and welcome to the group!
Scroll down a bit...
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "biojerm" <Jedamay_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> Hello all, im new to this group.
> Im 25 and have always wanted to own a delorean, but never figured i
> would get one until i was in my 40's.

dash is custom made it
> looks. only 2 small dings in body you can only see at the right angle.
> A handfull of misc. problems <driver window slipping, buttons falling
> off, missing keys, etc.>

  Fairly normal problems, all of them can be repaired or replaced.
You will find more problems...

> wants $7k for it, Engine starts choking when givin over 1/2 throttle,
> may be bad injector or fuel mixture, but runs great in idle and at low

  Does sound like a fuel delivery problem, possibly a blocked filter.
 It *could* end up needing the complete fuel system, fuel distributor,
pump, etc.  Budget for that and you'll be ok.

> Tranny gears work <automatic> but you have to manual switch to first,
> then manual switch to drive at the right speed, 2nd and 3rd work fine.

  I don't know that much about the automatics, someone else can surely
help.  Could be a control module, or it could be an internal problem
in the transmission.

> I want to save up and get a v8 put in it eventually for a more
> reliable car. but im having a hard time find out what kind of tranny
> these things have and how much they are to replace if this one needs
> to be replaced. Any and everyone I call has no idea what it has except
> for "delorean" transmission.

  My personal opinion is that the v6 is a reliable engine, plus you
keep the value of the car that way.  They do have their special needs,
like any engine, but properly maintained they will run for a long time.
  From what I understand the transmission was used in other cars, but
they were front-engine, front-wheel drive cars, if you use their
transmissions you get five speeds backwards, and one really slow one
forward.  There are probably other cars that used them, but someone
else will have to help here.

> This will be my first/only delorean and I only make about $30k a year,
> but im willing to do whatever it takes to drive my dream car.
> Anyone have any suggestions? Paying too much? Im not really looking
> into restoring it to original parts. But am i going to have to use all
> my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and tranny?

  Is this going to be your daily driver?  If not you can budget for
expenses and repair the car as time and money permit.  I would
recommend keeping another car as backup, that way if something does go
wrong with the D you don't have to go into debt to fix it immediately.
7k does seem like a good price, without seeing the car though, it's
just a guess.
  Remember, you are entering a high-maintenance relationship here,
this is a car that needs flowers regularly, likes poems, long walks in
the park, and watching the sun set.  The returns, if you are willing
to accept these costs, far outweigh them.  You will have a car that is
unique, truly a piece of history, and is recognized for good or bad
everywhere.
I will not sell mine.

Matt Smith

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:34:45 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "biojerm" <Jedamay_at_dml_g...> wrote:

> Hello all, im new to this group.
> Im 25 and have always wanted to own a delorean, but never figured i
> would get one until i was in my 40's.
>
> As it would turn out, i just ran across someone who is selling a 82
> delorean 20k miles on it ... > wants $7k for it, Engine starts
choking when givin over 1/2 throttle,

> Anyone have any suggestions? Paying too much? Im not really looking
> into restoring it to original parts. But am i going to have to use all
> my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and tranny?

Hello.

If you like working on cars, and are patient, it sounds like a good
deal.  Most of what you're describing seems fixable.  If the interior
is in good shape, I'd consider that a big plus.  Cosmetic parts for the
Delorean are rather expensive, compared to the mechanical parts.  I
bought a "fix-r-upper" myself.  Check the frame carefully for rust.

If you DON'T like working on cars, or would have to pay others to fix
the things wrong with the car, well, 25 year old cars aren't the least
maintenance free things out there.

I'd recommend you do not swap the engine, unless you're doing it for
the sheer pleasure of it.  I swapped my car's engine, and it was well
worth doing because I like that sort of stuff.  If I were just aiming
for "owning and driving a Delorean", I'd fix the PRV in it, which is a
very good engine.

In your shoes, I'd buy it without hesitation.  If you change your mind
about it, you will probably be able to easily get back your purchase
price.  It's a low risk purchase at that price.

Rick.

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:18:02 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: new headlight switches

Updates on the headlight switches are posted in the DMCHelp.com forums
-  ;-)

James

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:12:11 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Porsche 915 in a DMC.

I am posting this because it has long been accepted
that the Porsche gearbox is somewhat of a "drop in"
replacement for the DMC trans.

Racing to get my conversion done before DCS06, I spent
this entire past weekend trying to make space and
position the engine and transmission in to the car
properly.  This is not an easy task because there is
not real reference to measure off of....  But that is
another discussion!

Anyway,  My donor transmission came from a Porsche
911, probably 1983 or 1984.  Based on advice from
those who have used this transmission before me, I had
high expectations that getting this transmission to
work would be the easy part of the job. So far, there
has been no "easy part" of this project.

So for anyone else thinking of doing this, I will
share what I have learned.

The distance from the input shaft to the drive flanges
on the Porsche is NOT the same as the DMC.  In order
to keep the drive flange aligned properly with the CV
axle, the entire assembly must be moved toward the
back of the car.  This presents some problems with
clearing the stock DMC frame.  It makes me wonder if
those who have done the 915 conversion before me have
steep angles on the CV joints, which will work but
likely cause premature failure.

After I got that problem somewhat solved, I went to
bolt the axles to the flanges.  I had been told by
others they "bolt right up".  Murphy says "no way".
Today I did some investigation on the drive flanges
and found that Porsche had a number of different
styles.  The one that seems to match up are the larger
(110mm) 6 bolt flanges (there are multiple sizes).
These flanges were in use on the early 915
transmissions up until about 1975, when they shrunk.
The 110mm was then used again on the Porsche 930 (911
Turbo), and on the 1986 Carrera.  In 1987 they went to
a G50 box, so the 915 was no longer used... However,
the G50 box will probably bolt up.

Long story short, if your using a 915 gear box in your
DMC look for one out of a Porsche 930 or 1986 Carrera.
 The early (pre 1975) boxes will work too, but they
don't handle as much power.  Meanwhile, I am on the
lookout for a set of flanges to change the ones on my
915 box.

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:21:17 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Im gonna make this brief because Im sure a longer discussion is going
to ensue but....there is no such thing as the $20,000 rule. Its
definitely closer to $30k and probably going to rise real soon.
Harry

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:22:45 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Awesome, I saw that thing go for $4M, can you imagine the DeLorean way
back then, being shown with it, with the Banshee there too.  I would
love to have one of those, with a couple of DeLoreans in it, and just
drive up, open the sides, pop the top turn on the lights and music and
watch everyone go WOW!  And everyone getting out of the way on the
highway when the see a locomotive in their rearview mirror.

I did see that there are some scale models available of it, at $1800
each.  Yes I watched way too much of the auction.

Thanks for posting it.

Bernie

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:02:31 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Having been extremely lucky buying 2 DeLoreans sight unseen, but they
cost considerably more than what you are looking at, I would highly
recommend you have someone that knows the DeLorean check it out first.
 You don't mention the state you live in nor where the car is.  There
are many people on this list that will help you find the right car for
you.

But based on your $30K a year income, less taxes, rent/mortgage, food,
health insurance, retirement plan, you don't have a lot left.  And if
you don't have all of those, figure on getting a DeLorean in a few
more years, as your wallet gets a little fatter, otherwise you will be
sorely dissapointed.  It is without a doubt a great car, and for an
exotic, reasonably priced in todays market.

The "law of 20 or 24" is about right, both of my cars though quite
realiable, don't anyone come back on me about BB (that was my fault),
 do need constant TLC.  You will need a good set of tools, some
knowledge about what your doing, you don't have to know everything, we
all try to help. And most of all disposable income.  And don't live in
the car it's way to uncomfortable for that, nice to drive though.

So be patient, and you will get your DeLorean, or win the lottery, and
then buy a DMCH restored one, or one of the really expsensive turbo
cars out there.

Maybe you might want to go to DCS this year, you can see lot's of D's,
and talk to everyone about the ownership experience, and $50 gets you
a raffle ticket to win one....

Bernie
4045 (Black Beauty), 6704 (Crash and Burn)

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:34:51 -0700
From: "Matt Carpenter" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com>

Ryan's comment about Dave Ramsey was great!  I've listened to him (even seen
him live) many times.  Ryan, perhaps we could talk Dave into a D - paying
cash of course!.  Paying cash for this type of hobby or investment =
financial peace.

Matt Carpenter...5586
AZ-D.ORG