From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:12 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3091

1. Three needles in a hay stack : finding tires. LONG
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Jake and Drive the dream?
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net

3. Transmission Clearance
From: "schab932000" <schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Re: Drive the dream?
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: new headlight switches
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

6. Re: Re: Drive the dream?
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

7. Re: Drive the dream?
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Re: Sheepskin Covers for Seats
From: "ryanjm10014" <ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net>

9. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

10. Re: Drive the dream? Poster
From: "biojerm" <Jedamay_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Catalytic converters and California
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

12. Re: Sheepskin Covers for Seats
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

13. eBay item: DeLorean (#4607388815)
From: gekko_at_dml_flex.com

14. Water leak found!
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

15. Re: Transmission Clearance
From: "David Hudgins" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Drive the dream?
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Fw: Fraudulent ebay listing
From: "Gekko_at_dml_TDS" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>

18. Ye Olde Door light/buzzer switch
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Fraudulent ebay listings
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Catalytic converters and California
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Re: Drive the dream?
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

22. Re: Ye Olde Door light/buzzer switch
From: "Scot Stern" <Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com>

23. Re: Ye Olde Door light/buzzer switch
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

24. Re: Three needles in a hay stack : finding tires. LONG
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

25. I Drive the Dream (was: Drive the dream?)
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 02:51:51 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Three needles in a hay stack : finding tires. LONG

Hi Folks,

With all the commotion lately about the availabilty of matching set tires. I decided to hedge on the future and try to put together a set of new skins. I figure I've got one more season on my current set of Michelin pilots.

My mission was to find another set of Michlin pilots. Not an easy task these days. But perservence paid off.

Lucky for me I happened to have 1 new rear that I bought a year ago.
I had one rear that had been giving me grief with slow leaks. (Dry wall screw in the face that was well desguised) I had a problem with this 3 weeks after the set was installed new. I got it fixed which worked for a while. Then the problem popped up again in the fall 2004. I thought it was the same tire that I had experienced the problems with before. So, decided to get a new tire thinking that I didn't what to have a tire with 2 repairs patches in it. Well, it turned out I was wrong and it was the other tire this time. so I figured I could live with one repair in each for now. That is how I ended up with 1 new rear tire (Spare)

OK, fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I decided to try get a full set for the future. I did a google seach on the specific tires I was looking for. After trying the Tire rack and Discount tire. I came across another major online seller Phillipstire.com. I clicked on the tire specs and types and thought I hit the Jackpot! The order page came up with a full listing of all the Michelin pilot sizes with prices.
This is good news I thought A few minutes later my order was placed and I was feeling pretty good that I had been able to find a set without to much trouble. AAH not so fast. I got a phone message at work last Thursday from the tire place to call them. I was affraid this might happen. The nice lady said that the tire was discontinued which I already new ofcoaorse. Then she tells me the problem is that they only have 1 tire in each size in stock. so I said. I'll take them anyway, figuring I could track down one more front tire somewhere else.  Well, after searching the net some more and I went to a local michelin dealer to try my luck with them (None found). I went back to the google page again and clicked on more possible retailers. Finally I just started making phone calls about 6 I think. As luck would have it I called a place in Huntsville, AL.
Called Peoples tire & service. I spoke with A very nice man named Bill. I told him that I was looking for a discontinued tire. I gave him the the info and waited while he checked with his supplier. He came back and said how many are you looking for? I said, how many do you have. He said ONE, I'll take it I replied. Thats all I need.
Then I asked if he could ship it to me and then there was a moment of silence, Well, we don't ship tires he said. Then I explained the situation to him that I was in Minnesota and that I had been searching the web to find this tire. Thats how I got to there store.
So he said he would check and see if the supplier could drop ship it to me and too make sure that the tire was actually in the warehouse.
He called me back about 15 minutes later and said yes it's there they already pulled it and just needed the shipping info. So after A short conversation with BIll I thanked him and told him he made my day. So, thats the story of 3 needles in a hay stack.

Just goes to show a little perserverence pays off.

Dennis

With A New set of Michelin pilots waiting to be driven on the D

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 02:29:41 +0000
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Jake and Drive the dream?

What Jake never said, that many of us know, is that he followed his own advice and became very knowlegable  in DeLorean mechanics before he ever bought one. He attended club events and shows reguarly. Some of us wondered if he would ever buy a car...... but his reasearch before his purchase allowed him to buy an excellent car and he has become a satisfied owner and a contributor to the list.

I would highly encourage your attendence at the Chicago DeLorean show this June. It will be the biggest group of deLorean cars and experts you will ever have the opportunity to see and meet!

Cceil Longwisch

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 02:56:41 -0000
From: "schab932000" <schab932000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Transmission Clearance

I'm going to be replacing my clutch in the offseason... a job I'll being doing in my own garage, with the car up on jacks. Can anyone give me an idea of how much clearance I'll need from the garage floor to the bottom of the car to be able to fully remove the transmission. 1 Feet, 2 feet, 3 feet or more? I'm assuming a transmission jack is something that scoots on the floor and I'm not sure how high that is well, but I'll need to figure that in as well.

Thanks everyone.

Pat

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:06:13 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Drive the dream?

Dan wrote:
> You didn't even mention the condition of the frame. If it's rusted
> under the epoxy coating, then it's a parts car, period.

I don't really agree with this statement. It really depends on the
amount of rust and location. As long as the issues are cured before they
become major, I think scrapping the entire car is probably a little
extreme. Now if the frame has portions rusted completely through, then
yes.. I could agree then, though even decent condition frames can be had
without too much trouble if that is the only major thing wrong with the
car. Not to mention that a lot of times rusted sections can be cut out
and replaced.

VIN# 3209

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 03:09:34 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: new headlight switches

Yeah - but when will they be available? Month and year would be fine.

Dave S

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:35:59 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>

biojerm wrote:
> on a side note, the car had been sitting on blocks from first
> owner..someone purchased it, then drove it from florida to texas, then
> had someone put a lean on it, and then that person is going to sell it
> to me. it has had a fuel pump replaced with aftermarket which i read
> can cause engine fuel starvation, and I read somewhere that the
> transmission computer can cause it to not shift from 1st to
> 2nd...<shrug> that correct?

Um. If the title has a lien on it be very weary. If your buying it from
the lien holder(usually a bank or other financial institution) then
thats one thing, and they're selling it to pay off the lien. Basically
it means someone got a loan, offering the car as collateral, then
defaulted on the loan and the car's getting sold to cover the loss.
HOWEVER. If your not dealing with whoever actually put the lien on the
title, then you'll most likely find that on top of paying 7k for the
car, YOU will be responsible for paying off the remainder of the lien or
the car will be repossessed. Never buy a car that has an uncanceled lien
on the title. If the seller claims they're going to use the money to pay
off the lien themselves, don't trust them. Generally they'll just keep
the money, after all, they sold the car to you. They no longer care if
it gets repossessed or not.  Sure doing this would reflect badly on
their credit. But if they had good credit to begin with, they most
likely wouldn't have had to offer the car as collateral for a loan.

VIN# 3209

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:20:49 -0600
From: Chris Murley <qumefox_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Drive the dream?

Ryan Wright wrote:
> >This will be my first/only delorean and I only make about $30k a year,
> >but im willing to do whatever it takes to drive my dream car.
> >Anyone have any suggestions?
>

> Yes. Don't buy this car. You don't make enough money.

Now that is just plain harsh.  I myself make around $30k a year as well.
Deloreans are exotic, yes. But expensive, no. Well, not compared to a
lotus or ferrari or the like anyway. I'm in probably about the same
situation as the originator of this thread. When I bought my D for $8k,
I pretty much knew what I was getting myself into on it. I knew I
wouldn't be able to drive the car any time soon. I knew i'd be paying at
minimum an amount equal to the purchase price for parts to get the car
back in great shape, and I knew it would take me quite a long time to
finish the restoration. Saying someone can't afford a delorean just
because they aren't rich enough is just mean. You can own one on a
$30k/yr salary. Either you can buy a cheap one, and fix it yourself
knowing you'll have about $20k in it when your done, or you can get a
loan and buy one in good shape to begin with and just make payments on
it like you would with any other car.

VIN# 3209

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:42:49 -0000
From: "ryanjm10014" <ryanjm_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Sheepskin Covers for Seats

Not sure if you have Costco back in Mass., but I found excellent gray
sheepskins there couple of years ago there for about $30 each if
memory serves. I'm usually of the belief that you get what you pay
for, but in this case they proved to be a good color match and very
comfortable. In fact a few other owners I know saw/felt mine and
picked some up for themselves. Unfortunately I don't know the brand
name, but when I bought mine they only had one brand in a couple of
different colors.

Ryan McCaffrey
#10014
Northern California DeLorean Motor Club

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:15:54 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

Let me tell you an abridged version of my DeLorean purchase 2 years
ago when I was 28. I currently own an August '81 (3231) auto. I had
desire to own a DeLorean for many years and like you couldn't fathom
the idea of actually owning one until much later in my life. My
brother for Christmas one year surprised me with the re-printed
Stainless Steel Illusion book which rekindled my fire and started me
searching the bay area Craigslist. I knew I was going to be rewarded
with a hefty tax return and wanted to see what the market was like.
Now, I'm a fairly handy guy. I'd managed to restore a VW beetle from
the ground up by myself and have always maintained and repaired my own
vehicles (Fords, mainly.) At this point I had a functional set of
tools (including air tools) and a garage.

I happened across this particular DMC on CL with the asking price of
$10,000. The vehicle had not been started or driven since 1985. It had
been stored indoors (thankfully) but had within the past 6 months of
my acquisition been moved outdoors into a parking lot. The car was
completely original save for the Craig stereo which was missing. The
windshield was cracked and at one point the passenger main window had
been broken when some kids wanted to steal said Craig stereo. The
passenger side glass had been replaced by a local shop, but the
toolbooth window was off the track. Both door hydraulics were shot and
the driver's door latch was jammed. The passenger door handle was
snapped off, and the headliners were toast. Other than that, the
interior was in good shape save for some mildew. I don't think anyone
had been in the car for over a year when I got there. The deciding
factors were the mileage - 4,858.9 original and the fact that the body
was almost flawless; maybe a small ding or 2 on the hood. I had to
have it.

I had read a few articles on DMCNEWS about what to look for with frame
rust and whatnot, but my knowledge of the DeLorean mechanicals stopped
at this point and I was only relying on my own collective automotive
skills. Regardless, It was love at first sight. Some negotiations and
I handed over $7,500 for the vehicle and brought it home on a rented
car trailer one sunny February afternoon.

Since this is an abridged version of my story, let me outline what the
car ended up needing to give me a safe reliable daily driver. Aside from
the windshield, I purchased the parts from the various DeLorean
vendors and did
all the labor myself in my garage. All in all, I would estimate that I
spent close to 40 hours of time on the following project list.

* new windshield
* full tuneup (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, oil
filter)
* Auto trans flush, filter, gasket.
* entire fuel system. (18 years of sitting produced some lovely
substance in the fuel system) New fuel pump, special-T fuel baffle
kit, fuel accumulator (crow's foot sockets a necessity) fuel
distributor (used from a junkyard volvo = $26 - new DMC = $400+ ) Fuel
injectors (from said junkyard volvo) - warm up regulator.
* all new radiator hoses
* Stainless header bottle
* all of the factory DMC suspension recalls
* all new electrical relays
* all new fuses
* metal door handles
* optima battery
* LockZilla (with the wireless keyfob)
* Special-T fan fix 2X2
* all new door, louver, hood struts
* Door to roof seals
* replacement trip odo reset shaft
* Rebuilt both window motors (almost had to replace both)
* Install TOBY trailing arm bolts
* Pioneer cd headunit
* trunk release cable
* bleed brake system
* evacuate, and charge AC system with R-12
* headliners
* new tires all around - GT qualifiers - love them.
* re-solder taillight boards
* rebuild AT trans computer and relocate to engine compartment - Note,
this was accomplished with $5 in electronic components and have
suffered no further ill effects.

All in all, This encompases about $5,000 worth of parts and none of it
is labor. If you had to factor labor in, I could see all of that list
costing close to $10-12k. Again the key is whether or not you have
tools and knowledge to do labor yourself. Some of those items took
hours and hours (figuring out the tricks to the toolbooth windows for
example.) Working with the doors above you is tough. I had those doors
apart for weeks at a time.

Now, most of the things on that list are absolutely necesary to create
a SAFE and reliable vehicle that you can drive. If you have the
talent, patience, and a place to keep her, I say go for it! I hope
this info helps

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 04:10:21 -0000
From: "biojerm" <Jedamay_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Drive the dream? Poster

Id like to thank everyone for their advice and opinions on everything,
I think im going to cry when I say the words "im not getting it", but
I dont want to make a big mistake or anything. From what im hearing
from everyone the best idea is to save up $20k or so for one that runs
great. Hopefully in a couple of years ill be able to post on this
forum about MY car and not one im planning on getting.

Thank you all for your support.
Ill get one before I die! Just watch me.

Jeremy.

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:13:16 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: Catalytic converters and California

So I was noticing that Special T auto is now offering an aftermarket
catalytic converter. Upon closer inspection, it seems to state the
this particular converter is not legal in California (ODB II compliant
in 49 states except California) I also see that DMC houston still sell
what I presume are OEM cats. Are these 50 state legal? Why are the
special T cats illegal in California? or are they? Wouldn't these cats
be made from the very latest technology? or am I totally wrong here?
What would be the appropriate direction for a DMC owner in Californa
to proceed presuming he/she needs to replace the Cat?

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:51:46 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 1/23/2006 3:45:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com writes:

Does  anyone know an online vendor that sells decent sheepskin seat
covers for  the Delorean that might be under $200?

Hi Paul-
I don't recall the price, but you can contact Byrne Heninger at
_Heningerandassoc_at_dml_aol.com_ (mailto:Heningerandassoc_at_dml_aol.com)  to ask  about sheepskin seat
covers.

Wayne A. Ernst
vin 11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:58:36 -0800
From: gekko_at_dml_flex.com
Subject: eBay item: DeLorean (#4607388815)

dadoc2791 sent you this eBay item.

Personal message:
Here's the listing for anyone who wants to check it out.  Careful, this guy's a scam artist.  Don't send money to him in any way, at any time.  It'll dissappear!
Craig Werner
DeLorean : DMC 12
Item number: 4607388815

Seller: alvjjj(0)

Member since Jan-23-06 in United States
Current bid: US $781.00

Summary

Vehicle Description

BUY IT NOW $4,000.00
alvjjj_at_dml_yahoo.com
;
This car was painted red by;the Delorean dealership;to be shown at the Mosconie car show in San Francisco, as an optional paint color for the following year.; It is a show quality paint job, and the car is in pristine condition.; I am the original owner; and the car has been in a garage the entire time of ownership.
This car shows very well and is always a fun car to drive!
All gauges worked and oil pressure was between 20 and 65 and temperature stayed steady at 180.; The car does not have any dents in it and has no damage history. The interior and all glass is in "like new" condition.;The air conditioning and stereo worked well.
;

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:03:00 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Water leak found!

Hello all.
  A few weeks ago I posted that I have a water leak in my passenger
door that pools on the lower door seal.  Yesterday, with the help of
folks on this, and other lists, I found the source of my leak.  The
fixed part of the door glass isn't as fixed as it should be.  The glue
holding it in has come loose and now water runs in past the glass,
down through the door and out onto the seal, then onto the floor.  If
I press gently on the glass behind the opening window, it will move
inward away from the door skin.
  What is involved in removing and re-sealing this glass?  I have my
seal numbers from DMCH, though I wouldn't mind them again just to make
sure I have everything.  I also will get some 3M windshield adhesive,
which I'll also use to glue in my fascia re-enforcements.  I'm
assuming that pulling the glass will be something like pulling a
windshield, i.e. lots of patient work with the proper tools to keep
from breaking the glass.

Matt Smith

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:26:38 -0000
From: "David Hudgins" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Transmission Clearance

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "schab932000" <schab932000_at_dml_y...> wr
HI I just did mine a few months ago and just drove the car up ramps.. I did
have to slide the tranny out from under the car on a board so.. but it still wasnt
too difficult.. If u have a tranny jack that will make it much easier.. I finagled
mine back up with three different little jacks on the ends and middle.. kind of
hard but oh well.. its done.. Dave..vin.. 15275..

ote:

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:19:11 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I purchased my DeLorean when I was 24 myself, and I can honestly
agree with our fellow members and owners. You're talking about a car
that's almost as old as you or I, and it does take a LOT of work and
money to restore them to driveable states sometimes, let
alone "factory standard." I paid $9,500 for mine, and have probably
put at least $4K more into her in a year and a half just to get the
D running properly. Here's a small example of what I've had to do so
far:
-Headlights/Taillights with boards
-Spark plugs and wires, pounded out of block, overtightened
-New clutch, throwout bearing, shift linkage bolt etc.
-gullwing rubber weather stripping
-fuel pump replaced
-fuel accumulator replaced
-major wiring harness repairs
-torn gas lines fixed (I felt like Marty McFly here. Don't laugh :) )
-numerous other things...etc etc.
You probably get the idea. It is quite literally a dream one must
work and strive for, regarding any classic car. But given the
DeLorean's rarity and exotic look, there's just something special;
almost "magical" about that darn things, you know? I can't say I
regret buying my own. She's the only car in my whole life I have
honestly worked hard to get and can really call mine. It's a great
feeling, but yeah, do your best at school and work first, THEN have
fun. It's the responsible thing to do, man. And when you do have to
shell out a load of cash to fix your dream car up, don't hate it.
The best part is when you can look at the thing in the sun, start
her up, and hear and know she drives...well...almost perfectly. My
stupid passenger window isn't airtight. Doggone internal
condensation on the glass! I guess I can't complain hehe ^_^ Good
luck to you.
-John M. Rydholm
VIN#10715 1982 DMC-12
5-speed Manual, grey interior
numerous aftermarket parts purchased from DMC, P.J. Grady, and John
Hervey, cheers to all of you. I am now poor. :P (Just kidding.)

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:59:10 -0800
From: "Gekko_at_dml_TDS" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>
Subject: Fw: Fraudulent ebay listing

 Heee's Baaack!  The clown I was talking about has relisted the same
Delorean
 (I'm sure he doesn't own it, perhaps somebody on the group knows who's car
 it is - a factory painted red DMC - and can respond) with the same ad text
 and the same "Buy It Now" price of $4000, just a new email address at
yahoo.
 I've already alerted ebay security and told him so.  He knows my ebay
 account name (dadoc2791) so my bids don't really mean anything.  To bid
 anonimously, I'd have to create a new (fraudulent) ebay account, etc. and
 I'm not willing to do that.  If anyone else wants to see the listing or
 string this guy along, wasting his time and then blow the whistle on him
 too, the listing item number is 4607388815.  Let us know the outcome if you
 begin a dialog with him.  Previously he used the name of Gavin Burton with
 different email address.  Let us know if he's still using that one with the
 new address.

 Craig Werner
 VIN 07181

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:27:24 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Ye Olde Door light/buzzer switch

Hi all,
Given the DeLorean's age and taking into account the unavoidable
wear and tear one puts on any car from driving, I've noticed my
driver's side gullwing switch shakes a lot when driving down a bumpy
road or a freeway. The door stays shut thankfully! But, this in turn
causes the internal lights in my car to flash on and off, providing
me a rather unhealthy distraction esp. while driving at night. I
tried tightening up the screws and disconnecting/reconnecting the
plugs, but I can't seem to get her to stay firmly connected. Has
anyone else had similar problems? Does anyone know if there are ways
to keep the parts more firmly in place? I thought of cutting the
little rubber boot covers on the switches a bit, so that they would
push in more securely, but I don't want to break them with the door
when I shut it. (I really hope I don't strip out the screw holes
just by driving around!) My buzzers don't even seem to work anymore-
not that I care. I hate that sound. Any suggestions?
-Johnny
VIN#10715 82'
Romeo, MI

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:48:03 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fraudulent ebay listings

I usually always ruin these auctions myself. They stand out like a
sore thumb. I immediately kill the auction by bidding like $50,000 on
them evey time, shortly after they are gone or shut down by eBay.

I turn them into ebay all the time after I have fun ruining the
auction, eBay usually shuts it down within a day or so.

Hopefully nobody has gotten suckered in on these auctions yet.

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Gekko_at_dml_T..." <gekko_at_dml_f...> wrote:

> Just a heads-up to the group.  I keep an eye on Delorean parts
listings on ebay in case something I could use pops up.  I naturally
check out the cars being listed as well.  Recently there have been a
rash of listings for Deloreans for sale with VERY low Buy It Now
prices (from $4500 - $6600) on cars that look to be in terriffic
shape.  Most of the listings offer the car to "Pre-Approved" bidders
or with a "You must contact me by email at xxxx_at_dml_y... or xxxx_at_dml_m... )
addesses before I will consider your bid.  The auction is usually
ended early because they get a "fish" on the line asking to buy the
car.  There's usually a story about having family crisis or being out
of the country but they are affilliated with ebay's squaretrade group
insuring the payment is secure and refundable if you do not receive
the vehicle in the condition described, etc. etc.  I enjoy doing the
dance with these guys and turn them over to ebay's security team when
they realize I didn't just fall off the turnip truck and won't respond
to me any longer.  The most recent one even went to the trouble of
setting up a website called square-trade.ws so that they could send me
emails with that address with the invoice for the car.  Of course,
SquareTrade.com is ebay's high-value purchase protection group, not
square-trade.ws.  Watch your backs when looking to pick up stuff
cheap.  If they ask you to send money via Western Union to someone
who's supposedly acting as a disinterested third party "escrow"
service, RUN-don't-walk for the exit with your hand on your wallet!

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:03:37 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Catalytic converters and California

Hello,

I am also in California and recently installed SpecuialT's CAT which
has worked flawlessly; I passed in CA a couple of months ago. Someone
will correct me if I am wrong but the Delorean is NOT equipped with a
OBD system and thusly is not affected by this preclusion.

Nathan
2277

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:05:51 -0600
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Hmmm,I pay more than $30k in taxes.  I did get my first new car when I
made substantially less than $30k, but to afford it my menu was limited to
Top Ramen and Kool-Aid.  And it didn't need parts or labor!

I think you're better off buying 140 raffle tickets, lol.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:36:53 -0000
From: "Scot Stern" <Scotstern_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Ye Olde Door light/buzzer switch

This may not really be a good solution but it has worked for me.  My
car, is pristine and only has 12,200 miles on it yet I have the same
problem that you have described.

Believe it or not, I simply epoxied the switch in the door frame with
some 5 minute epoxy and then put a "glob" of hot glue inside the rubber
cover, and slid it back on.

The hot glue keeps the rubber bumper from going on all of the way and
held it in place.  The end result has been that it is a bit longer now,
as a result of the hot glue, and the lights do not come on from a bump
or me placing my leg against the door.  All-in-all a great fix, that
does not show, and has worked well for the past two years.

Hope this helps....

Scot Stern

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:32:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

You may be in need of new door seals. If the old ones are cracked,
split, torn, or just flattened, they are shot. After replacing the
seals you *may* need to adjust the anchoring pins. After that you
might have to add a piece of vacuum tubing to the switch posts to make
them a bit longer. Having the doors loose is more than the lights
flashing on and off. While that may be annoying you also have a lot of
outside air leaking into the car and a lot of noise. A real fast and
cheap test. Close the door on a Dollar bill. If it slips out without
drag the seals aren't sealing.

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:16:08 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Three needles in a hay stack : finding tires. LONG

Now that you found them you should protect them and properly store
them. They should be washed down, thourghly dried (in th esun if
possible), sprayed with a tire protectant with UV protector, placed in
plastic bags with holes in them to breath, and stored in a cool, dark,
place away from anyting that can generate Ozone, like electric motors.
They should not be stacked on each other or have anything on top of
them that could deform them. You can get nice plastic bags for tires
at most tire dealers. They provide them free as a courtesy to take the
old tires home.

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:43:25 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: I Drive the Dream (was: Drive the dream?)

Jeremy,

Sounds like you're making a good choice in waiting.

I, too, want you to know that DeLoreans are not all problems and
horror stories. I was lucky... I had the money to buy the "$20K
version" right out of the gate. I'm not a mechanic, have all the wrong
tools, etc.  I wanted a car I could drive.  Everyone said I was nuts.

I bought a 10,500 mile car.  It had been driven regularly enough that
the previous owner had been forced to do a fair amount of the
refurbishing already. (Hoses, brakes, suspension, tires, etc.) It
appraised easily for more than I paid for insurance purposes.

It's been eight months and 8,000 miles since then. I drive it 30 miles
round-trip to work almost every day.  I have not been stranded
anyplace while driving the car and have easily managed a Vegas-Phoenix
roundtrip.  I get 22-25 mpg and consider it to be as reliable a daily
driver as my other newer vehicles. So far, it's proven cheaper to
repair.

The only absolutely required new items for the car have been a new
fuel pump (failed in my garage) and a brake master cylinder (old one
had a slight leak). My biggest challenge was that the fuel pump didn't
like the mid-Summer Nevada heat, but that's been solved.

It's true, I've added a bunch of other parts to the car on a purely
voluntary basis because "working on the car" has become nearly as much
fun as driving it. I'm also trying to keep it as reliable with some
preventative maintenance.  Spread out over the eight months, I've
invested less than $100/month.  Cheap insurance, I think.

Total labor hours required at a shop so far? 2.  I owe a lot of this
to the support of the DML and my fellow Arizona DeLorean Club members.
The others' advice to join a club, if you can, is echoed here.  You
may find your future car in the hands of a fellow club member.

I recently sent my D's previous owner an email, telling him how much I
enjoy the car and that it had turned out exactly as he'd described
it: "A Reliable DeLorean."  In these days of false hopes and promises,
my experiences with the DeLorean have been very positive.  I hope
yours end up being the same.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

P.S. Someone else on the list suggested a loan.  Somewhere along the
way, when your finances make sense, you might consider that. Look what
you get for $20K at a new car dealership these days. It's not much of
a contest. :)