From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 5:22 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3099

1. Re: Leaking fuel line in Distributor
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

2. RE: Catalytic converters and California
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. Funny oil light behavior
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Saw this one for sale and thought I'd share
From: "Paul" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Saw this one for sale and thought I'd share
From: "Paul" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Leaking fuel line in Distributor
From: "Tell you if you ask." <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

7. Posted repair pictures of 11613
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Leaking fuel line in Distributor
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

9. A new trick for old dogs
From: "Tell you if you ask." <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

10. Re: Funny oil light behavior
From: "Tell you if you ask." <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

11. Re: Gold plated DeLorean
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

12. Re: A new trick for old dogs
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. Re: A new trick for old dogs
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

14. Re: A new trick for old dogs
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. Re: Gold plated DeLorean
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Toby Tabs
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

17. Door Seal Lubricant?
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

18. AW: Re: Gold plated DeLorean
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

19. Courtesy Lamp Switch Replacement Module
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

20. Re: Digest Number 3098
From: heningerandassoc_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Toby Tabs
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 02:57:44 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Leaking fuel line in Distributor

Hi
If these are the original lines then this tells you they need changing, i would review all of the lines.

remember they are running at 60 lb+ (twice tyre pressure) and after
25 years......

An easy jobs at least.
is it worth checking the the website for the fuel line kits?
possible braided?.
always renew the copper washers, and if they are old replace the banjo bolts.
Also check the lines to the tank and the accumulator.

Regards

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_y...>

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:09:50 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Catalytic converters and California

The cat's are made buy the same company that made the original cat's.
Eastern bought their tooling. They are approved in California but the problem is in California the targets I always moving.
They are performance because of less restriction. The cat blocks inside are coming from the UK.

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 01:29:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Funny oil light behavior

Ok, here's a new one.

All my binnacle lights except the battery light are
LEDs.

I'm driving along the interstate and I signal a right
turn to get off on an exit.  As I do, I notice my oil
light starts to illuminate.  It's not sudden and
instantaneous, it's very slow as if someone's winding
a wheel to give off the light.  It never even gets
completely lit, but it's bright enough to notice out
of the corner of your eye.  I see it, check my oil
gauge; I'm at the little tick right below "80".
Engine seems stable, no overheating whatsoever.  I
turn off my turn signal; the oil light starts to
decline in brightness.  I noticed that if I turn my
left turn signal - nothing - but as soon as I use my
right turn signal this seems to happen.  If I
disengage the headlight switch entirely, the oil light
appears to go out too; it doesn't linger on.

I've seen this behavior with the "cooling fan fail"
light as well with an LED in place.  Anyone have any
ideas?  Is it something to do with the wiring of the
car or the "paper circuit board" behind the instrument
cluster?  I guess I've never noticed it until tonight,
who really knows how long it's been doing this.  It
doesn't really scare me, but I thought it was weird to
say the least.

Jeremiah

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:39:41 -0000
From: "Paul" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Saw this one for sale and thought I'd share

I live less than a mile away, and I didn't even know about it, hahaha.

I will most likely go check this car out this week.  They've sold two
or three others before in the past couple years, and the first
delorean I ever drove was the last one they sold to a very nice bloke
in england.

If anyone wants me to look at anything particular on this car for
them, let me know.

Who knows this may be the one for me, it is a manual, black interior
and has a gas flap, three of the things I would want on a D if I had
my choice.

Regards,

Paul the Whip Guy
MidWestWhips

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "carpenter12740" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_m...>

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:55:07 -0000
From: "Paul" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I just posted a couple minutes ago about this, and then I went and
checked the motoexotica website and this is what I found:

http://www.motoexotica.com/inventory.asp?r=vehicle&v=610

I'm still going to call them just to make sure, but it could be a scam.

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 02:57:14 -0000
From: "Tell you if you ask." <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>

You should inspect the other lines as well. You've been in there
doing a lot of work, taking lines off and putting them back on
again. Every time you disturb them you run the risk of weakening
them because of their age.

A fuel line that ruptures while you're driving will quickly make you
look like your flux capacitor is about to light off as you cruise
down the highway in flames.

Take no chances. I've almost done it myself. Twice.

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 03:01:11 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Posted repair pictures of 11613

All,
    For those who do not know, my car was involved in
a hit and run in front of the house in September. The
big construction truck did a good job of remodeling
the driver side of the car. Soon thereafter, it was
brought to Hank auto in Bavaria where Wolfgang and
Malik did an extaordinary job on the repairs of the
car. Also included was my christmas gift from
Wolfgang, a custom aluminum DMC shifter emblem.

    Now the car is ready for my trip to Ireland for
Eurofest!!!!!!

Dont forget to add your name to the registery if you
havent done so...

Jordan 11613

http://retroserver.no-ip.com/deloreanmain.php

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:50:35 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

I had precisely this experience with my own car when I bought it. It's
the reason I put effort into having our own fuel hose sets made. It
worried me that on a fuel system running at 5 bar (75psi ish), if you
can cause a leak just by moving the hoses about a bit, they can't be
very safe after 25 years! Ours are a shiny black high pressure
thermoplastic with new swaged ends and come with all new bolts and
washers. One car with a set is the one featured on the Explodaview poster.

Martin
DMC Ltd
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:23:29 -0000
From: "Tell you if you ask." <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: A new trick for old dogs

WARNING: I have not tried this method and will not be responsible
for any damage to any vehicle, it's components, tools or personnel.

I plan on converting a gasoline powered vehicle to electric power in
the near future (NOT a DeLorean) and read a weblog of a fellow who
converted an old Ford Probe when I stumbled on this trick:

I recently recall a debate about methods to get the crank pulley nut
off of our engines. This fellow used an interesting procedure.
Essentially he removed a sparkplug, and positioned the piston about
halfway on the stroke. He then feeds a length of rope into the
cylinder, coiling it as best as he can as he feeds it. Then when
applying loosening pressure to the crank pulley nut, the piston
comes to a stop against the rope, essentially locking the engine,
supposedly without doing any damage.

I always advocate using the proper tool for the job (in this
instance, a pneumatic impact gun) but for those who insist on
struggling along without the correct tools or the necessary
finances, this might prevent injury or engine damage (such as
snapping flywheel teeth or lifting cylinder sleeves from their
seats). Then again, it may cause engine damage (damaged cylinder
head, broken piston connecting rod or crank).

I know some of you will scream that this is a bad idea, but you also
know full well that there are young, uninitiated, less financially
well off owners out there trying to resurrect old D's that you just
can't stop from buying and taking their cars apart so we may as well
minimize the damage by helping them out however we can.

Use this procedure only at your discretion.

Rich A.

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:24:38 -0000
From: "Tell you if you ask." <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Funny oil light behavior

My fan light does this too. I haven't replaced the binnacle lights
with LED's yet. It's simply a result of stray current and/or
induction being emitted into the wires from other systems. It may,
but does not necessarily indicate a short.

Why do LED's do this yet incandescent bulbs don't? Because LED's
require only a fraction of the current to make them light. The old
bulbs probably had this electrical "pressure" on them as well, but
it wasn't enough to overcome the resistance in the filament required
to make it glow.

I can see why it would be annoying. Perhaps a very low resistance
resistor or a standard diode of the proper rating wired in series
with the LED would dampen this residual current.

Hopefully someone will come along and add to this or correct me.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_y...>

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:07:04 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Gold plated DeLorean

One of the gold DeLoreans is currently NOT on display at the Petersen Auto Museum in LA.
I had a friend visit in October and it was not there, and I was out there two weeks ago and
it wasn't on display. Not sure if they have it down for repairs, as last I heard it was in need
of some cleaning / headliner repairs.

-Derek #10084

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:21:01 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: A new trick for old dogs

This is an "old timer's" trick to replace the valve seals without
having to pull the heads. It keeps the valves from falling into the
combustion chamber. I have not heard of it being used to hold the
crankshaft from turning but I guess it can. There are enough other,
better ways to loosen the pulley nut so this tip is not that good an idea.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tell you if you ask." <racuti1_at_dml_d...>

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:07:09 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

This will be absoulutely fine -IF- the piston's on firing stroke,
otherwise you'll bend the valves. Also it ain't easy to get down those
spark plug wells. I've known engine mounts rip against a flywheel
locking tool doing this job and would guess that your conrod might not
like it too much at that kind of torque either. You also need to know
the rope isn't going to leave and bits behind.

On balance, no - wouldn't dream of it.

Martin

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:19:53 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Hi Rich,

On 1/29/06, Tell you if you ask. <racuti1_at_dml_delorean.com> wrote:
> I know some of you will scream that this is a bad idea, but you also
> know full well that there are young, uninitiated, less financially
> well off owners out there trying to resurrect old D's that you just
> can't stop from buying and taking their cars apart so we may as well
> minimize the damage by helping them out however we can.

True, but: This goes back to my earlier discussion of affordability.
You can purchase a small air compressor & impact gun for less than
$150 new. Probably half that used.

Who in his right mind stretches himself so thin financially that he
can buy the car and the parts, but then can't - or won't - dig up
another hundred bucks for tools?

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:43:23 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Faded N Jaded <fadednjaded_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>   I apologize for assuming that all readers of this list would know
that when I said I was at the Harrah Nation Automobile Museum in Reno
and said that "they" said this or that, that all would know it was
someone who works for or at the museum. Obviously I was wrong.

>   So, for clarification, when I used the word "they" in my posting,
"they" applied to museum personnel.

>   The people I spoke with appeared to be either employees or
volunteers of the museum.

>   One individual said that the gold-plated DeLorean had been on
display at a bank in Snyder, Texas. I'm only repeating what he said. I
have no idea as to the veracity of the comments by this or other
individuals that I spoke with when I was there.

Naturally assuming people associated with the museum would know what
they were talking about, I thought someone else must have given you
the misinformation, and I wondered who it was since you didn't
referenced anybody else. That's why I asked who "THEY" were.
Apparently "THEY" were wrong.

>   I did get the impression that this gold plated DeLorean was being
treated kind of like an unwanted step child. It was displayed in a
room which totally lacked the dignity of the rooms where the main part
of the collection is.

DeLoreans are often snubbed by other car enthusiasts. It comes as no
surprise to me that even a gold plated DeLorean would not be presented
as well as other cars.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:19:47 -0600
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Toby Tabs

Welp, this weekend I finally got around to installing the set of Toby Tabs I
got last week and it went really smoothly.  My car has 105k miles on it and
the stock TABs were bent.  The Toby Tabs are REALLY high  quality product.
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I just wanted to bring it up
again for those who haven't changed theirs out yet.  It's a great relief to
now know I don't have to worry about my TABs again. Thanks A LOT to Toby for
this great product!

Take care,

Duke

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:54:17 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Door Seal Lubricant?

What can one put on dooe seals to keep them soft and to prevent them
from becoming hard?

Shannon

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:42:31 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Re: Gold plated DeLorean

They keep it in the basement with the other cool cars, at least twice as
much as they have on display.

It was only a short time out for display. If you wanna see it you have to
ask them.

Elvis & 6548

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:40:44 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Courtesy Lamp Switch Replacement Module

The new courtesy lamp switch replacement modules are now complete and have been tested. I have refined the installation to be almost completely plug and play. The mechanical relays have been replaced with solid state components so there are no moving parts. The only wiring required by the owner is connecting a saddle splice for power. The units are completely wired and ready to install. I am asking $165, plus shipping, with a two year warranty. Since the modules are all hand assembled (by me) they will have about a three week lead time to ship.

Go to my web page for more details at http://mysite.verizon.net/dsontos/id1.html

Dave Sontos

Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 18:31:47 EST
From: heningerandassoc_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Digest Number 3098

The DeLorean appears to be an excellent buy. Indications are the mileage is
valid and a well preserved automobile.  Byrne

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 01:05:41 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Toby Tabs

All,

I too am in the process of replace my TABs with Toby's but my tabs are
so corroeded I can't even turn the bolts.  Today I managed to at least
get the passenger side shims to move (thats a good thing),  I am using
 a new penetrating oil called Gibbs, expensive as all get out but it
works.  $32 for two cans.  I will give a full review once I get this
project completed.

One 5lb hammer and a stratigaclly placed punch/chisel should take care
of the problem without resosrting to the torch.

Bernie