From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 5:17 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3108

1. Re: Discovered the root cause of my starting problem (I think)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

2. RE: Re: PJ Grady Refinished Wheels
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

3. Re: Re: Delorean Sighting - Hemmings Classic Car Magazine
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

4. Re: Funny "whizzing" sound from engine
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

5. Re: Funny "whizzing" sound from engine
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

6. Re: Manual Trans Gear Oil
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. Re: Discovered the root cause of my starting problem (I think)
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Mileage
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Mileage
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. Re: Mileage
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Re: Mileage
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

12. Re: Discovered the root cause of my starting problem (I think)
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. Re: Re: Manual Trans Gear Oil
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Manual Trans Gear Oil
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

15. Re: Mileage
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

16. DeLorean Available in Hawaii
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

17. Re: Re: Mileage
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Re: Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:52:06 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Discovered the root cause of my starting problem (I think)

If that is your symptoms it could be a sign of a blockage in your fuel system. A kinked or leaking suction hose, a bad pump, a dirty pick-up screen, a dirty fuel filter are some of the possabilities. Again, I suggest you start in the fuel tank. One bad load of gas can ruin your whole day. Deteriorated fuel system parts can cause all kinds of trouble. Dirt and stale fuel are 2 of the biggest problems to the K-Jet fuel system.

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 14:56:58 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: PJ Grady Refinished Wheels

I can attest that we are busy. Paul, You can check out our silver wheels.
John Hervey
 http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/frame-body.html

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:00:17 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Delorean Sighting - Hemmings Classic Car Magazine

Wow, one of 3,500 DeLoreans ever built, and 'factory painted red'.
Glad he did his research first.  :)

Despite the misinformation, it is a nice print.
-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:14:49 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Funny "whizzing" sound from engine

^Thanks Dave,  I will check into the items you mention. It is a five
speed.  I just replaced the waterpump last september with one of
SpecialT Auto's waterpumps, so I really hope that is not the
problem! I did change one idler pulley bearing last summer. I was
about the change the second one, but accidently drove a tool through
the side of it while putting it back together, so I left the old one
in place.

The noise does not vary to road speed, and is more related to engine
speed as I gas it and change gears, etc.

I'll check it out when I have the chance.

 --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> If the sound varies in relation to the speed of the motor it is
> probably something to do with the belts. The possabilitoes include:
> loose/worn belts
> alternator bearings
> water pump bearings
> idler pulley bearings.
> One way to go is to remove a belt and see if the noise goes away.
the

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:19:43 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Dave,

How do I check fluid level, or replace fluid, for my  5 speed
transmission? This is the only area I haven't really looked at on my
car since I got it last year.

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:41:22 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Manual Trans Gear Oil

On the side of the trans is a square-head filler plug. Remove it and
stick your finger in. If your finger gets oily, it's full. If not,
add some. If it looks black, change it. If it smells bad, its the
right stuff.

The drain is on the bottom. If you are changing it remove the filler
plug first, there's nothing more disappointing than draining the
trans and finding you can't fill it. It happens!

The manual holds just short of a gallon of 85W90 Hypoid Gear Oil. If
you use RedLine oil it's 75W90-NS. And it will probably leak more.
Lots of fun pumping that much in.

Dave S

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:54:44 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have actually cleaned the fuel tank about a week ago. I found that
the filter screen had deteriorated and was ingested by the fuel
pump. I removed the pump, submerged it in mineral spirits and ran it
backwards to clear out as much as I could of the filter screen
particles. I then wiped the tank clean, installed a spring into the
pickup line, and installed a new filter screen. I also replaced the
fuel filter at this time.

I will go back over my pump installation; perhaps the pickup line
has a hole in it. I will also take a voltage reading for the pump.

Nathan
2277

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:56:05 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Mileage

I put 9K miles on my car in '05 from May-Jan '06.

Stock engine with manual 5-speed.
20-23 mpg in mix of highway and city.
20 is more typical if driving aggressively.
Best was 25 mpg.

I have no pure highway mileage.
Have not timed 0-60.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 22:17:54 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

At the DMC Houston open house a couple years back, the Sunday
attraction was a session at a local drag strip. My maybe-hazy
recollection was that all of the DeLoreans ran in the mid-to-high-
16s, and nobody was able to hit 88 mph in the quarter mile. Nor in a
shopping mall parking lot.

Fast time of the day (other than a local pro-stocker) was a Jaguar
XKE with a couple hundred thousand miles on the odometer.

Dave S

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:35:12 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

My stock Delorean mileage is consistentely
28 mpg for highway driving.

Dale Funk

Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:42:46 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Mileage

We were all just shy of 85mph across the line in DMC's performance
modded 5-speed (before 2nd gear selector broke). I *believe* I got the
fastest at 84.66mph, much to Chris Hawes' annoyance as he got 84.65!.

Can't remember the stock ones but they were a lot slower.

Martin

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 00:18:05 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

If your pump ingested bits of the filter screen it also ate all the
dirt that was plugging it up. You may still have pieces of the screen
inside the pump plugging it up and the dirt it ate certainly won't
help. It is probably a good idea to break down and replace the pump,
it is probably down to it's 8th life or so. Like a cat, you can't know
when it's on it's 9th life until it's dead.

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 20:17:07 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Manual Trans Gear Oil

 May I also HIGHLY recommend getting the correct tool for the job - It's a
snap-on part and available from PJ Grady if you aren't friends with the local
snap-on guy.  Makes taking those plugs out a LOT easier than using a crummy
10mm open-end wrench or a Gator-Grip socket!!!

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

--------

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:41:59 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Thanks Dave!  I'll check the level.

Paul

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:16:37 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

Engine/Trans = stock/automatic
20-21 consistently on highway with air on
21-22 consistently on highway w/o air on
Got 25 once though
Not sure mpg city driving
0-60 = not sure, but would that include the time it takes to go back
and retrieve the parts that fall off when the pedal is floored???

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 02:01:17 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: DeLorean Available in Hawaii

Seems to me someone was recently looking for one of these - top ad now.

http://www.dmcnews.com/BuyNSell/dmcforsale.html

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 15:56:43 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

On 2/6/06, Dave Swingle <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com> wrote:
> 16s, and nobody was able to hit 88 mph in the quarter mile. Nor in a
> shopping mall parking lot.

Right, but remember, Marty was heading right toward an obstacle when
he hit 88mph. Had he not been transported back in time, he would have
wrecked the car in glorious fashion.

I'm certain I could get my DeLorean up to 88mph in a shopping mall
parking lot if I didn't have to worry about stopping distance.

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 16:47:43 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet

Hi David,

On 2/6/06, David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net> wrote:
> Hard to tell what you noise is this far away!

How about if I bring the noise to you?? :)
http://www.ryanwright.com/tmp/dglug.mp3

Notes:

1. It doesn't happen when the car is cold (REALLY cold; within 30-60
seconds of startup I'm OK, after that the noise shows up).

2. It only happens on deceleration.

3. It's much more pronounced when the idle switch is engaged. If I
decelerate without hitting the idle switch, it's virtually
non-existant.

4. The noise is worse now that I've got the Lambda system working
correctly. Go figure?! :)

5. If I dial the mixture rich (way rich, at least 1/2+ turn beyond
where the Lambda system gives up trying to regulate things), the noise
goes away. But I want to solve this problem right, not just patch
things up.

6. Lastly, it sounds much worse in the recording than it really is due
to the echo off my garage walls. But you get the point. It's
irritating and doesn't present my DeLorean very well in traffic.