From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 9:19 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3109

1. De Lorean Campaign Contributions?
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Old Cars Weekly Ad
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

3. Re:Mileage
From: Joe Palatinus <jpalatinus_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. Re: Dwell meter setting?? More than you might want to know... ? too LONG?
From: "Brandon Shelton" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Delorean Sighting (Sort Of)
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>

6. Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

7. Re: De Lorean Campaign Contributions?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

8. Painted Delorean Painted
From: Oliver Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>

9. Re: Pheasant Run is 4 months away...Get your rooms soon
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

10. Fuel pressure/accumulator question
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Tach Wire
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

12. Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

13. Re: My first tune up
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. Great tool for measuring Delorean 0-60 times
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: My first tune up
From: "bkp944" <bkp944_at_dml_comcast.net>

16. Re: Delorean Sighting (Sort Of)
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

17. Anything To Win - GSN Channel
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

18. Aluminum core/Plastic tank radiators
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

19. Re: Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

20. Re: Aluminum core/Plastic tank radiators
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

21. Dark Grey or Light Grey Headliner
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. someone stole my DeLorean!!!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

24. Re: Re: Aluminum core/Plastic tank radiators
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

25. Did anyone ever hear what the D brought
From: "patmolamphy" <patmolamphy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 02:37:02 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: De Lorean Campaign Contributions?

I'm catching up on my e-mails, and postings tonight, and thought I'd share this with everyone.

http://tinyurl.com/7p4w3

Not sure of the dates, but these contributions were made by JZD/DMC.
Anyone know the motivations behind these donations?

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 19:12:48 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Old Cars Weekly Ad

In Old Cars Weekly there is about a 2x3 inch block ad selling an 83 DeLorean 2300 miles.  Pix looks great...Price 29.5K.  The ad has been running for a couple months or more I believe.

Murray
Vin:  05962
Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 01:29:39 -0500
From: Joe Palatinus <jpalatinus_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re:Mileage

On vin 17167 I  drove 11,000 miles on it in 2005. I have put ~53,000 miles on her since 2000.
MPG ~23-25 highway,
I don't have a good figure for city driving because I normally only measure on the highway, but I would guess just less than 20.

Joe P.
VIN 17167 6808

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:24:19 -0000
From: "Brandon Shelton" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Dwell meter setting?? More than you might want to know... ? too LONG?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, doctorDHD_at_dml_... wrote:

> BTW, Don't do what I did the first time, which was to connect one
wire of  my
> dwell meter to the "test point" and ground the other wire. (This is
how
> you'd measure dwell on a car with points and is wrong, wrong, wrong
for  us.)  The
> other wire actually connects to another terminal in the  diagnostic
socket
> which goes to plus 12 volts and not ground...
>
> When in doubt, RTFM (Read The F...ing Manual)
>
> Dave Delman
> Dē & 6530

Would you be able to tell us which terminal this wire should connect to by chance?  I have been connecting the black ground wire to ground when trying to check my dwell, maybe that's why my needle isn't moving but is rather still.

Brandon Shelton
Orlando, FL.

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 04:50:10 -0000
From: "Steve" <steve_at_dml_fotofx.net>
Subject: Delorean Sighting (Sort Of)

At Disney-MGM Studios during the auto stunt show, they have an automotive trivia game on the screen just prior to the show. One of the questions is "What vehicle travels thru time in the movie Back To The Future"? Of course we all know the answer..

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:04:08 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet

Well, that was clever! The noise is normal. On some cars it is more pronounced than others and under certain driving conditions it can be more or less. What is the variable here is the decel valves in the throttle plates. Make sure they are not stuck and they move easily on the springs. Much more important on a 5-speed than an automatic. What is happenning is when you slam the throttle valves shut the mixture goes rich for an instant until the mixture unit can catch up. During that instant a slug of over-rich air/fuel goes through the motor and some of it burns in the exhaust. Most noticeable when you are driving down a hill and you lift your foot off the gas quickly. Exhaust leaks can also make the noise worse by letting air into the exhaust to help the burn and then letting the noise out.

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:15:23 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: De Lorean Campaign Contributions?

My guess is that it was just John supporting his local politicians for whatever his personal reasons. Pretty common, actually. Compared to the rest of that list of donors it's pretty small amounts.

Dave S

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:49:22 -0500
From: Oliver Holler <thehauntfactory_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Painted Delorean Painted

Looks like the artist has updated his DeLorean description!
Take a look. (Don't forget to 'refresh' to see the changes.)

http://www.georgerothacker.com/studio/s05.17.html

Oliver Holler

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:50:47 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Pheasant Run is 4 months away...Get your rooms soon

Just thought I would add a few comments to Patrick's post.

We do hope to be walking around a record number of DeLoreans in about 4 months, but the first choice is outdoors, weather permitting, on beautiful, sloping green grass just behind the convention center (formerly the golf course driving range).

Also, we recommend you book a room at the resort as soon as possible, unless you really enjoy driving a long way, to and from the resort every day.  Those of you that wait too long or want to drive to and from the resort every day, you will not be SOL, but you may be driving a bit to alternate motel locations.  Better to spend your time with the cars/owners.

After the resort fills up, I will post a list of alternate motels in the area and forward a list to Ken to post on the DCS website.  For those of you planning to stay a week or more, email me directly for weekly rate deals in the area.
Keep in mind, most alternate lodging not already booked by the Corvette show will be a 30 min. drive from the resort.

For the DeLorean 25th Anniversary events and DCS 2006 event related information, email me at: Rich_at_dml_dmcnews.com

For the DeLorean 25th Anniversary event details, check out the DeLorean Midwest Connection Club website:

www.delorean-midwest.org (under DMC car show)

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 20:23:59 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuel pressure/accumulator question

If the accumulator is bad and leaking back into the return line would it take longer for the pump to reach operating pressure?  This would constitute a fuel leak in the system except for that it does not vent out of the system correct?

Example:

Assume the accumulator is good and not leaking back into the return line, if I put a tee in the fuel line right after the fuel pump and connected a hose to it and ran it back into the fuel tank that would be the same as having a bad accumulator. This would obviously cause fuel pressure to be low or the pump would have more difficulty maintaining pressure.

Are these assumptions correct or misguided?

Nathan

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 20:30:38 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Tach Wire

Can someone tell me which wire is the tach wire that runs near the steering column and goes to the tachometer? Diagram says its white/slate but after looking at all the wires under dash-I can't find any white/slate wires unless I'm looking in the wrong place. Thanks guys -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 20:42:19 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Nice use of technology! It was nice to hear how other engines sound.  I also wondered about this "glug" noise as well when I let my foot off the gas.  I live on a steep hill, and experience this quite often on my way out for a drive.  Nice to know that this is normal and not some sort of exhaust leak.

Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 12:49:26 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: My first tune up

Folks,

Joe Kuchan and I have been exchanging messages on this subject off list. He sent me some valuable insight and we both thought it would be good to copy the list for anyone else who might be having this "problem".

-Ryan

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:04:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Great tool for measuring Delorean 0-60 times

http://www.cafepress.com/dmc12.27819623

Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:29:48 -0000
From: "bkp944" <bkp944_at_dml_comcast.net>

Ryan,

My friend has a Mini Cooper S that makes the same sound. When I
asked about it, he said BMW intentionally made the Mini do that
because it was a characteristic sound of the original Mini racing
cars. Since then, I've noticed it many times on different Mini's.

So, to each his own. Tell your friends there's nothing wrong with
your car and BMW actually builds this sound into some of their cars.

-Brian
VIN# 4494

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:53:35 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Sighting (Sort Of)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <steve_at_dml_...> wrote:

> At Disney-MGM Studios during the auto stunt show, they have an
> automotive trivia game on the screen just prior to the show. One of
> the questions is "What vehicle travels thru time in the movie Back To
> The Future"? Of course we all know the answer..
>

> Steve

OHH, OHH! I know!

A MUSTANG!

(ducks and covers)

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:28:19 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Anything To Win - GSN Channel

As a reminder, this episode of the the GSN series "Anything to Win"
highlighting John DeLorean this was the film crew that was at the DMC
(Texas) Open House event last summer) appears one week from today,
February 14th - see it with someone you love!

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:18:21 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Aluminum core/Plastic tank radiators

I'm leaving town for a week or so, and though the best way to start the
trip off right would be to stir up a bit of discussion just as I am
leaving and unable to respond in a timely manner. :-)

We've got a DeLorean here in the shop with one of the aftermarket
radiators (and bad cooling fans) so it had to come out. The tech
commented on what a pain it was to get in and out, and then we talked
about the aftermarket vs oem radiators.

Here's an interesting link to a comments by the Car Guys, Tom and Ray.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2005/November/08.html

One thing that they don't mention, which I think has some relevance is
the age of the radiator that failed - more or less 15 years. As a Volvo,
I don't doubt that it was a particularly high mileage car, either, as 15
year old cars go. ANY fifteen year old radiator probably merits looking
at with an eye toward replacement.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:03:50 -0600
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

I am not usually one to hop onto a bucking thread, but one of the guys
here listened to the sound clip and said his car sounded like that until
he put good plugs in.  You said you had changed only the plugs.  Are
they proper Bosch Silvers?  Are they correctly gapped at .025"?
Warren at DMC

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:25:07 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Aluminum core/Plastic tank radiators

Since you can't answer I'll ask anyway ;-) - what's your recent
experience with the operational life of New-Old-Stock DMC radiators?
What's the warranty? I've installed both NOS and aftermarket ones,
I'll agree that the NOS ones fit a ton better, (some of the
aftermarket ones are amazingly out-of-square, to where I've had to re-
drill the mounting holes!) but I'm not 100% convinced that they'll
last as long as a fresh aftermarket unit just due to the fact that
they already have 25 years of age on them. I've personally seen a
couple of the NOS ones that just didn't last very long. OTOH I have a
car in my shop now that has the original radiator in it, no problem,
although I've warned the owner that he ought to keep some money set
aside.

In my experience the failure point on the OEM DeLorean radiators is
the joint between the tank and the brass part, not the plastic
(unless you happen to snap the bleeder off) and not the radiator
itself.

While I'm talking - I also don't believe that the aftermarket
radiators cool any better than the OEM radiators, if both are in good
condition. Compare them side by side and you'll see that the OEM
radiator has much denser, finer tubes, which == lots of capacity. The
downside is that, if not maintained, they will plug up. I think this
is why people who replace them with an aftermarket radiator think
they cool so much better - the are comparing it to something that was
all plugged up inside!

BTW - just another data point - on my "other cars" (BMW) the original
aluminum/plastic radiator is considered by most to be a 6 year/70,000
mile maintenance item. The failure mode on those is that the plastic
neck for the radiator hose breaks off, generally without warning.

Nice thing about DMC radiators, they leak a looong time before they
really let you down.

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:44:52 -0000
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Dark Grey or Light Grey Headliner

I have an 82 Vin 11572 with Black seats & Black Dash. The headliner
needs replaced.  I can't tell if it is Dark Grey or Light Grey. The
dark grey color on the delorean.com site looks darker and the light
grey looks lighter. Does anyone know if Light Grey came with Grey
Seats? & Dark Grey with Black Seats?

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 18:23:58 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: someone stole my DeLorean!!!

Well not quite the real thing, but someone stole my Sunstar DeLorean model
out of the lobby at the business I work at.  Now what's up with  that?!?  It
was there in the morning and then when I walked by later in the  day it was gone
and none of my employees know anything about it. I can only  assume a
customer nabbed it.

Too bad too because it generated a lot of interesting conversation.
Including someone who was filling out an application one night - he said, 'Oh  wow, a
DeLorean! Those were pretty cool... well actually no they weren't they  kinda
sucked'.  After that I let him fill out the app, then I told him I  wasn't
hiring at the moment and threw it in the garbage.

Another time someone said, wow I used to own one of those cars!   Usually at
this point I would play like I don't know anything about them and  this guy
told me he had the one with the V12 in it.  Then I saw the car he  drove to my
work and it was a Buick Century or something equally dull and  lame.  Uh huh.

So if anyone sees my DeLorean, let me know. It was missing a side  mirror.

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596 (now  Sunstar-less)

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 00:34:28 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

Hello

I have to ask because this subject comes up very often. Why do people keep
saying that the correct plugs for the DeLorean are not platinum when the
Owners manual clearly states on page 38 to use Bosch HR6DS (Platinum
Tipped)?? Service manual lists the same spark plug number on page A:02:01.
I've always used platinum tipped plugs in my car and it performs flawlessly.
Starts right up, runs great and by the way, I don't have that sound on
deceleration. I can make a recording to prove it :)
Those are the best plugs for this engine, this is what I use in my car with
great success and those are the plugs I recommend to everyone. I have them
available for sale on my website.
Can someone prove me wrong? Why do some say not to use platinum plugs?

Greetings from Poland!

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
www.deloreana.com

Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:22:36 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Aluminum core/Plastic tank radiators

Well, as a supplier sufficiently disconnected from North America, I can
add a few pennies here...

I've swapped out a lot of rads now, and we are having ours rebuilt by a
local specialist (the sort of thing that still goes on in England, and
if they've been going a few years, they tend to be very good at what
they do - he also makes out coolant bottles)

The only part of the original rads that are being re-used are the top
and bottom plates. Everything else is replaced. The core is a brand new
modern aluminium (get the spelling right, guys :-) core, and is an
extended version of another Renault radiator, by coincidence, made to
order. The side tanks are custom made, not adapted from something else.

I've had one triple-row refurbed and it was a pain in the backside to
refit, but it sure as hell kept cool! Waiting to test the fans took at
least 20 minutes on a not-particularly cold day!

Only today I replaced an otterstat on a car that has one of our
replacement radiators, and that too sat on the first mark (stat opened)
for what seemed like an age.

Now my own #1458 has a 100% original cooling system, even down to the
hoses (yeah, I know!) except for the coolant bottle. It stood up to a
700 mile trip to LeMans last summer in 40+ degree C heat without a hint
of a problem. I agree with Dave. Original rads work a treat as long as
they aren't blocked - the main reason for most of our swap-outs.

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk

PS and Dave, in case you're wondering, your old rads have indeed been
recycled in just such a way :-)

Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:04:22 -0000
From: "patmolamphy" <patmolamphy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Did anyone ever hear what the D brought

at the IRS auction in Texas last month?  I posted around the 20th of
Jan, but haven't heard anything, did anyone go?

Pat