From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 7:01 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3116

1. Re: 3 Brass Screws Infront Of Engine
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Re: 3 Brass Screws Infront Of Engine
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

3. Re: Fixed my antenna, sort of...
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:55:48 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: 3 Brass Screws Infront Of Engine

Errrm.... almost entirely inaccurate I'm afraid...

The idlespeed system is a closed-loop system and is designed to keep the idle constant regardless of temperature or load, so when the fans kick on, you may well see a sudden drop in RPM followed by it picking back up again to 850 plus-or-minus 25 (ignore the rev counter, it's not that accurate). Adjusting the brass screws may allow too much air in if you keep going to beyond the point where the idlespeed motor can compensate, although taking it up to this threshold can be beneficial. You won't create mixture problems because the air passing through the "screws" is metered, unless you back them off so far that you create a vacuum leak.

A quirk of the system is that a rich running engine sends the idlespeed into oscillation - a condition experienced on a cold engine with lambda (original, in other words)

Martin

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 02:00:33 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

It just occurred to me that your car may have an early euro spec engine which uses the auxiliary air valve and not  the DeLorean's idlespeed system. RHD #5565 has one of these and I set it up on the screws, so yes, mucking about with this will affect running.

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 02:59:23 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fixed my antenna, sort of...

I just got mine "broken in". I cycled it a bunch of times and lubed the mast with WD40. Works great now. I also found the ball to be too big. I ended up cutting off half of the ball to allow the nut to fit over it. Still looks pretty good, and more importantly I can get reception!

Nathan
2277