From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:48 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3118

1. Re: DeLorean in Broadway Musical?
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

2. RE: Navigation System
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

3. Re: DeLorean Storage
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Re: Do I have the "hot start" problem?
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com

5. Manifold Studs
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

6. "Anything to Win" on GAME 116 Dish network
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

7. Re: Navigation System
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Re: Do I have the "hot start" problem?
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

9. Tylenol Uses "Live The Dream" In New Ad
From: "Dan Harris" <whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Re: Do I have the "hot start" problem?
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

11. Standard Shifter Gator and.....
From: "DaDoc on Flex" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>

12. Re: DeLorean Storage
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. 3 Brass Screws Part II
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

14. Re: 3 Brass Screws Part II
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

17. Starting problem...
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. RE: Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 02:08:29 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean in Broadway Musical?

Greg - The fascia, grill, spoiler, headlights, and other various bits and pieces were supplied by DeLorean Parts Northwest.  You are correct in assuming that the sheet metal was non-DeLorean.  Some of the parts were new, but the others were used parts that would have required some refurbishment before use on a real car.  The scale looked off because the entire front end could only be 19 inches deep, so the front hood and windshield were  - shall we say - abbreviated?  The seats and outside mirrors were made from scratch using real DeLorean parts as a model.  The facility where the stage props were made is awesome.  The manager gave me a great tour of the place.  They were very appreciative that we were able to supply most of the parts necessary to create a relatively real looking DeLorean.  You just never know what's going to happen when the phone rings.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:41:59 -0500
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>
Subject: RE: Navigation System

I have the same unit in my Ram.  It is a great unit, works like a charm, but it won't turn down.

But what it can do is close and remain on, so you will still get prompts even with the screen closed.  Plus for XM and Sirius it scrolls the info on the closed screen, or open.

The unit can be gotten on eBay for about a grand now btw

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461 1981 Grey 5 speed
DMC Vin 16879 1983 Black 5 speed

Yeah I got one-- http://www.myspace.com/jackstiefel

Listen to the best music of all time at www.uselessjunk.us

Come hang out in The DMC Lounge --
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DMCLounge/

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:49:09 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Storage

I store cars short and long term so if you are interested give me a call
513-470-8337

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:27:35 EST
From: beatlesra1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Do I have the "hot start" problem?

I had the same problem and after changing this and changing that..It was  the
fuel distributor..$500.00

Chuck
Vin #6125

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:05:32 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Manifold Studs

I just got all of my manifold studs out today. I had one broken one
that was broke off inside the head.

What i use to remove it was a Left Hand Drill Bit and a center punch.

A left Hand Drill Bit is a Drill Bit that is used in the Reverse speed
of the Drill. Most Drill bits are used in the forward speed, this means
when you are drilling out a manifold stud you are also tightning it
too. With a Left Hand Drill Bit you are using it in the Reverse speed
so that means you might get lucky and back the stud out while you are
drilling into it.

I got lucky and it backed out while i was drilling into it.

What i did was use the center punch to mark a spot on the stud in the
center so i would have indent so the drill bit wouldnt wander when i
was starting to drill.

Just an FYI for you all in case you do this job for yourself.

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 04:08:39 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: "Anything to Win" on GAME 116 Dish network

If you have Dish Network GSN is GAME channel 116 in the second
package.( Which I don't Have & if some one records it I would Like a
copy.)
Thanks,
Lawrence

In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I DVR'd this weekend's "Anything to Win" show on GSN (about some
folks
> who rigged the PA lottery in 1980). Near the end of the show they
ran a
> 30 second promotion for the John DeLorean episode that runs next
week.
> In addition to some of the normal footage of John and the factory,
> there were a couple of quick clips including a shot of DMC Houston
and
> an interview with Tamir Ardon. Looks pretty good so far, although
I'm

Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:01:28 -0600
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

I'll do even better: here's a link to the write-up I did for it.
http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/mirror/mirror.html

When I wrote the article, my headliners were sagging.  Now that I've
redone them, I'd recommend mounting higher than I did (i.e. the
original black spot is recommended).  If / when the glue separates on
mine, I'll move mine up that way.  Also, after writing the article, my
ground *stopped* being a suitable ground...  very odd.  So I connected
ground to another bolt.  Just use a multimeter to find a good one.

--Greg

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:04:19 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>
Subject: Re: Do I have the "hot start" problem?

Thanks David,

What is the "plug swap"?  Do I do this when experiencing the inability
to start?  Thanks,

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 02:53:39 -0000
From: "Dan Harris" <whocruiser_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Tylenol Uses "Live The Dream" In New Ad

I noticed something interesting in the sunday newspaper coupon insert
section this weekend.  An ad for Tylenol that uses (reuses?) the
old "Live The Dream" slogan that JZD originated for the original
Delorean ads.  I'm sure it's no coincidence either, perhaps an "homage"
by a closet Delorean fan in their ad agency, as the stylized typeface
used on the words "Live" and "Dream" are clearly meant to look like
brushed stainless.  And it's in an automotive-related context as well.
I guess the "ownership" of the old slogan must be a fuzzy enough issue
that they can use it with impunity.  Anyway, I've scanned the ad and
uploaded it to the dmcnews Yahoo Groups files area for anyone who wants
a look at it.

Dan Harris - VIN# 1662 - FL Tag# MY 81DMC

*****WhoCruiser_at_dml_aol.com is Dan Harris*****
WhoCruiser's Personal Home Page: http://members.aol.com/WhoCruiser
Read about The Sci-Fi Sea Cruise at: http://www.scificruise.com
Purr-use The Cat House at: http://members.aol.com/LookAtMyCatsPage

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:06:18 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Joe,  Thanks for the link to the excellent guide and pictures.  I
love these, as they give me the confidence to dive in and fix!  It
doesn't seem "that" bad to change now.

Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_...>

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 06:37:33 -0800
From: "DaDoc on Flex" <gekko_at_dml_flex.com>
Subject: Standard Shifter Gator and.....

Is anyone making/selling replacement black leather shifter gators for
5-speed trans?  Mine is looking very weary and I'd like to replace it with
something that looks like the original.

How tough is replacement of the headliner(s)?  I'm no upholsterer and I
understand that they come affixed to the backing but how difficult is it to
do this job correctly?

Also: Grey interior dashes:  Mine is sun cracked (as is the binnacle).  Last
time I was in Delorean One, I saw what I thought was about 6 or 7 of them
(new, grey dashboard tops) stacked up, together.  Does Don have a store of
NOS or did he have some remanufactured by an aftermarket company?  Does
anyone know of where they might be available?

Thanks to all.

Craig
# 07181

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:42:03 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Another place you could possably store your vehicle is a self-storage
unit. In my area there are many of them and some provide indoor
parking, "storage", for cars. Some have areas dedicated to cars,
boats, etc. You can also get one large enough to stick a car into and
not tell them (assuming it has a door at ground level you can drive
the car into). Some are completely against car storage so you need to
check out the rules. Another possability is to look in a local paper.
Many homeowners have a spare garage space that they try to rent out.
It could be cheap but security becomes an issue. Just make sure you
maintain insurance on the vehicle for damage, theft, and fire.
Covering it is a good idea as is removing the battery and the fuel.

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:32:42 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: 3 Brass Screws Part II

Hi again

I went to take the car out for a quick drive this morning and had
problems starting the car...  I had to pump the gas and keep turning
the car over to get it to start but once it started it was fine.

Now I was wondering is this because I tightened the 3 screws down
and I have made the engine to lean and made it hard to start cold??
Should I undo the slotted headed screw closest to the air intake
slightly?

It has NEVER down this before and started fine after I tightened the
screws yesterday.

Also I fitted a new starter to the car last night, could that be the
issue? I did not get a chance to start the car last night after
fitting it and today was the first time I started it with the new
starter. I started it a few times after the initial starting problem
and it fired up right away so I may have just had to break in the
starter but surely that clould not be the case could it?

Alistair
Pilot 25.

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:15:53 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: 3 Brass Screws Part II

Hi Alistair

If the three screws were backed off before, what you've done will reduce
the amount of air available to the engine on cranking, but tickling the
throttle will have the same effect. I've re-submitted my little guide to
setting up the brass screws to Dave to put on the DMCnews site but here
it is anyway - this might help but it sounds like you may not have
connected up the blue/yellow wire to the starter. This feeds both the
cold start injector and wires out half the ballast resistor for a hotter
spark during cranking. (this is without checking my wiring diagram!).
This has very little efffect on a hot engine.

-------------

Problems relating to stalling when the revs dip too low at idle:

This is where I get shot down in flames, but when I get a car with such
a problem, I start playing with the "brass screws". Here's a little
guide to setting these up that should cure your problem. It can't do any
harm and if you're not happy, just re-seat them all back down gently.

1) Let your engine idle up to temperature

2) With everything OFF (radio, ac, blower, lights, everything) , back
the rear two brass screws out by 2 turns each.

3) Back out the front one (that has a flat screw head) slowly and keep
going until you hear the engine speed start to increase. At that point,
screw it back in half a turn, such that the idlespeed is how it was before.

What we're doing here is getting the engine to a point where it needs a
minimum amount of air to idle. As you let more air in via the brass
screws, the idlespeed system will fight you and close off the valve.
When you get to the point where the engine revs start to rise, the
idlespeed valve is closed. We're putting the minimum air requirements
through the brass screws and giving the idlespeed system more "headroom"
for circumstances when it needs the most amount of air - electrical

This is how Renault set up their systems and as far as I can work out,
it all comes down to production variation in the valve. I've seen cars
where I couldn't back out the screw at all without increasing the
idlespeed. Likewise, I've been able to cure problems like yours with 30
seconds and an 11mm spanner.

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:24:08 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....

My shifter boot was also in poor condition when I purchased my car.
You can buy new ones from DMC for $90 bucks or you can find a boot
that looks similar at the junk yard for $4. I found on a mid 80s
Honda something that looks pretty good, almost original. I simply
transplanted the Honda boot over the Delorean frame, works like a
charm!

Nathan
2277

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:44:38 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Not to start something - but do you mean Don at DeLorean Motor
Center? Big difference.

Also - I konw that Don Steger does sell a replacement shifter
leather, and the major improvement was that he replaces the original
DMC plastic frame (that seems to last about a week) with an aluminum
one hand-made in the back room by Francis.

DMC Houston has been threatening to have New repro stock dash panels
for a while, but I don't believe they are available yet. Anything you
see around now is either re-covered or re-dyed originals.

Dave S

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:09:32 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Starting problem...

OK...  I have a problem.  My D is hybernating in the garage for the winter.  About a
month or so ago, I moved it out to bring another car in for some paint work.  Me,
being an idiot and not thinking, left the key half turned all day and completely
drained the battery. :(  So, I jumped it and pulled it back into the garage.  About a
week later, I went into the garage and it would not start again, so I jumped it again
and it started right up.  Same thing the week after that.  The battery is about a year
old.  It has been a few week since I had the car running, so I tried starting today.  It
was not starting, so I tried to jump it again.  But this time, nothing.  It didn't even try
to start.  It was just giving me the click sound when I turned the key.  The belts move
a little when I turn the key, but nothing happens.  I know there is current going to the
battery because the headlights of the other car dim when I turn the key while
attempting to jump the D.  Anyone got any idea as to the cause of this?  I have a
feeling that my starter my have gone bad, but I thought I'd ask the group what they
think before I buy a $255 part from DMCH.  I've never really had any problems with
the starter before.  the car always started right up for me.  I have only owned the car
for a little over a year, so this is the first time I've let the car sit for a while without
use.

Corey

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:21:31 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....

Someone on Ebay sells them fairly reasonably, problem was that they did
not come with the frame as well as mine was shot.  If your base/frame is
good then this will work fine.  None listed now but they come up at
least monthly.  If anyone saved one of these auctions it will contain
the ID of the seller - its always the same guy so I'm sure he has
plenty.

My shifter boot was also in poor condition when I purchased my car.