From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:59 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3119

1. Re: Starting problem...
From: "Todd Nelson" <todd1561_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Starting problem...
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

4. Re: Do I have the "hot start" problem?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

5. Re: Starting problem...
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Starting problem...
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

8. Re: 3 Brass Screws Infront Of Engine
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

9. Re: Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: "Anything to Win" on GSN
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. Re: "Anything to Win" on GAME 116 Dish network
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

12. Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

13. "Anything to Win" via Bittorrent
From: Andrew <yahoo_at_dml_fuh-q.org>

14. Anything to Win
From: "bjmccool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>

15. VIN 2010 in Paris - France
From: Guillaume Morel <hoplos_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Aw Crud!
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

17. RE: Starting problem...
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Re: Do I have the "hot start" problem?
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

19. RE: Re: "Anything to Win" on GSN
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: VIN 2010 in Paris - France
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

21. Re: Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

22. Re: Re: 3 Brass Screws Infront Of Engine
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

23. Re: VIN 2010 in Paris - France
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. AW: Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

25. Re: Aw Crud!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:45:52 -0500
From: "Todd Nelson" <todd1561_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Starting problem...

Corey:

Your battery is dead!  Have you charged the battery since it was drained?
Not jump started, but charged?  If once you jump started the car the first time all you did was pull it into the garage, the alternator had no time to recharge the battery.  The best thing you could do now is test the voltage at the battery, see if it's less than 12V.  I'm sure it is.  Then if you don't already have one, buy a battery charger and charge the battery.  If it still won't hold a charge it may be time for a new battery.  All jump starting does is grab enough power from an auxiliary source (another car) to get the car going.  It does not charge the battery back up.  You either need to drive the car around for a while to let the alternator do its thing, or use a dedicated battery charger.  I'm sure your starter is fine, you're just not giving it enough power.

Good Luck,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:01:42 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....

My frame was in many pieces and was easily repaired using fiberglass
and a little patience. Now it's better than new. If anyone wants
advice on how to repair their stock frame email me off list.

Nathan
2277

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:14:04 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Pull the battery out, recharge it slowly and have it tested. Clean all
the "big" connections. Very unlikely the starter is bad.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:11:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Do I have the "hot start" problem?

The "plug Swap" is where you switch the plug going to the Control
Pressure Relay (Black) with the plug going to the Cold Start Valve
(Blue) when the motor won't start and it is warm to hot, NOT COLD. You
don't have to actually put the blue plug onto the CPR. As soon as the
motor starts you have to run right back to the motor and quickly
remove the black plug from the cold start valve or you will flood the
motor. Put the plugs back to their origional places and you're done.
You may have to repeat once or twice till the motor doesn't stall. If
this does get you going then 99% the problem is your fuel system is
not holding Rest Pressure and 90% of the time it is the acumulator.
The other 10% is the check valve on the fuel pump and/or the Primary
Pressure Regulator.

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:22:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Corey,

Jump starting the delorean is not recommended, especially if you are doing so with a completely drained battery.  Jumping a car with a completely dead battery can cause the voltage regulator on the alternator to fail which would mean you would need to buy a new alternator.  at this point, I would disconnect the battery if I were you and charge the battery using a slow/trickle charger overnight.  also, if your battery is not the maintenance free kine, check the water levels to make sure that they are okay.  Let me know what happens.

-Chris & 6453

coreysmoo <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote: OK...  I have a problem.  My D is hybernating in the garage for the winter.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:53:09 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

It's probably the battery! Once drained a battery must be charged
back to full-charge which can take several hours with a good
charger. A battery will not recharge itself. Your battery is
probably fully discharged (maybe shot now but you should check it).
Take it out (charging the battery in the D causes all kinds of fume
problems in the fuse and relay compartment) and have it charged and
tested.

For storage, a properly sized battery disconnect switch is the best
device for saving the battery.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:51:30 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

Al the full-service vendors sell replacement shift boots with new
leather, and perhaps more importantly, a metal frame to hold it all
together. The original plastic frames are often broken, so a metal
frame is usually required, as well. These have been available fr
years, so if you're replacing the boot, you may already have a metal
frame. In addition to the black ones, DeLorean Motor Center sells (or
used to sell) one made in grey leather - no original, but some like
them for grey interior cars. A later car like yours probably already
has the noise isolator in place (a big rubber piece that acts as an
insulator down under the shift boot), but many early cars don't. Makes
a big difference in interior noise.

Door headliners are not difficult to replace, they pretty much just
pop in and out. The two center pieces require a bit of skill, but even
for someone of moderate talent, this is a do-it-yourself job.

We've jus trecently received the fourth set of samples on the
dash/binnacle/cente console cover/escutcheon project. The console
cover and escutcheon are approved for production, but all will be made
together, and the dash and binnacle are still not quite right. We're
now waiting on the fifth set of samples and we're told that we will
have them in mid-March.

Anyone passing through or living in Houston is welcome to come and see
them for themselves - try and let me know if you're coming and I'll
show you myself.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:51:56 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: 3 Brass Screws Infront Of Engine

The book I'm refereeing to deals specifically with Volvo B28F, not
Renault. If you'd like or if you're interested in it, I can scan in
the page of the manual and send it to you so you could take a look at
it-just send a message off list. The A/C panel is connected to the CIS
system, specifically to the control unit. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:32:23 -0600
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....

There's a guy in Poland, not deloreana.com, who made me one plus a slip boot
for the e-brake rubber to dress it up a little.
here it is:
http://www.redlinegoods.com/Deloreanshiftboot.shtm

I've never heard them called gators before... those were little goretex knee
to boot covers for x-country skiing...

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 03:49:30 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: "Anything to Win" on GSN

Just finished watching this - all in all, in my opinion a pretty well-
balanced take on the story, lots of content on the car, and I didn't
really see any glaring factual errors. Great interviews with Stephen
Wynne and Tamir Ardon, and some quick background cameos by a few others
including Ken Koncelik and Don Steger. I believe it re-airs on
Saturday.

Dave Swingle

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 03:35:44 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: "Anything to Win" on GAME 116 Dish network

I am pretty psyched.  Just watched the show tonight and saw my car a
couple times.  The scene where they are talking about door clearance
has a pan-around shot of a D with the hood, doors and engine cover
open and it is my car.  In a scene a few monents earlier they show the
interior with the doors open, and in the shot where they are
interviewing Stephen at DMCH my car is on the lift in the background
getting detailed by my nephew and I.  Cool!!

Overall, I thought it was a great show.

Sandor
# 3002

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_...>

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 05:13:19 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

My 2 cents on this, I got my shift boot from www.redlinegoods.com.  It
was a perfect fit and I was able to re-use my plastic frame thank
goodness.  It took some glue and some patience but it looks great.
They also make leather covers for the parking brake, and you can get
the leather/stitch color scheme any way you like.

-John
AZ-D.org

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:06:45 -0600 (CST)
From: Andrew <yahoo_at_dml_fuh-q.org>
Subject: "Anything to Win" via Bittorrent

I have encoded and seeded via Bittorrent a copy of tonight's "Anything To
Win", entitled "The Crash of John Delorean".

The file is an avi with xvid video and mp3 audio.  It is 350 MB in size.

The .torrent file is available at the following URLs (the second is just a
short redirect to the first):

http://fuh-q.org/~aos/Anything_to_Win_-_The_Crash_of_John_Delorean.avi.torrent
http://fuh-q.org/?5bSu

Please don't ask for help with codecs or with Bittorrent.  There's plenty
of information out there.  Please do leave your Bittorrent client running
after your download completes so that you can contribute bits of the same
file back to others.

I'll try to keep a seed up for at least a week.  Enjoy.

-andrew
  Houston TX

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:57:36 -0600
From: "bjmccool" <bjmccool_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Anything to Win

Just got finished watching the "Anything To Win" episode on John. I thought they did a good job of balancing the good with the bad. It didn't seem to be too biased towards one side or the other. There was footage, especially from the 1960's-1970's, that I hadn't seen before, which was a nice edition. I really sympathized with Katherine when I saw her footage, she talked about the decision to change her name when she got married. It really bothers me that she had to go through the things she did growing up, all the jokes in particular. I met and briefly talked to Katherine at the Memphis show. It was very evident how much she thought of her father. I remember that she was actually brought to tears when Ken played the collage of John's career with Aerosmith's "Dream On" playing as a narrative. To this day, I can't hear that song without thinking about that. I like to see any new material that is released concerning John, especially if it has a positive slant. But, It just makes me miss the fact that he's not here anymore.

Dream on John.

P.S.
I just lost my father in December to a heart attack, he was only 55. I'm sorry if this seems a bit emotional, but the last year has been kind of rough.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:06:36 +0100
From: Guillaume Morel <hoplos_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: VIN 2010 in Paris - France

Hello everyone,

A short message to all of you, from a newbie on DMC News and a new owner of
a Delorean :-)
I just bought VIN 2010 (june 81, auto, black, pix on dmc12.fr) in The
Netherlands few days ago, and now its new home is Paris.
I read all the posts here with great interest, the group is very active.

Happy to join the Delorean community,

______
Guillaume MOREL
VIN 2010
Paris, France
www.dmc12.fr
www.guillaumemorel.com

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 07:21:45 -0500
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Aw Crud!

Well after a nice afternoon drive yesterday I parked my car in the driveway and opened the door to get out when I heard a loud POP! and the door came back down.  After crawling out of the passenger side I went around to inspect the damage and discovered the lower strut post mounted to the body had broken and bent inward causing the strut to slip off when I opened the door.  I seem to remember a discussion of repairing these broken door strut posts in the past but a quick search produced no results.  Can someone point me in the right direction towards finding that information?  I'm not sure this is a repair a novice like myself should undertake or whether a trip to PJ Grady's in Long Island will be in order.  On a different note, I see that Video Bob is listing his DeLorean for sale on eBay.  I wish you all the best Bob and hope your experience is better than mine when dealing with eBay buyers.  I listed mine back in December(due to mounting repair bills which will now continue to mount!) and had tons of inquiries but only one bidder.  My sole bidder e-mailed me with 3 hours left in the auction saying he couldn't pay and asked to be released from the sale.  No other bids were placed so I voided the sale through eBay after it ended and decided to do my best to pay down my repair bills and keep the car.  By the way, the rule of 20s is alive and well since in my case after a $10,000 initial purchase price I am residing in the rule of 25s club!  The best thing any prospective owner can do is listen to these people here in the forum-they have experience and know what they are talking about.  That being said, I have also made my reservations for the 2006 DeLorean Car Show and I look forward to meeting some of the people whose posts I have enjoyed here since joining in June of 2004.  Being a DeLorean owner can be frustrating at times but my fascination with the car hasn't changed at all since seeing one in my neighborhood in 1985.
Now driving a DeLorean with a suddenly heavy driver's side door,

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:58:04 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Cory,
Starter problems show up more in the winter where as alternator problems
show up more in the summer. If you have done a good over night slow charge
on the battery and with a DMM the DMM shows that there is 12.66 or better
volts in the battery, then the supply isn't the problem. If you also think
it's the original starter then most likely it is it's wore out.
I have new rebuilt starters with new Valeo parts rebuilt in stock for
$189.95 with a 5 year warranty to back it up.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/starters.html

OK...  I have a problem.  My D is hybernating in the garage for the winter.

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:10:53 -0000
From: "sweetp01569" <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com>

Thanks David, as always!

Paul

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:35:44 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: "Anything to Win" on GSN

I have mixed emotions, even if the stuff IS true... do we really need more
of the same?
I guess it can't be avoided.
Everyone of these documentaries sums up with the same, that John was a crook
who got
away with murder, the cars are lemons that only die hard nerdy fans
appreciate,
and that if not for BTTF they would be all but forgotten.
It gets old.

I will be posting the entire show on my website to be viewed by anyone who
missed it
later on tonight....

-VB

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:46:11 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: VIN 2010 in Paris - France

Welcome to the world of Delorean ownership!

Nice to see at last a vin number near me !

Mike
#2001 June Auto Black
Yorkshire UK

http://www.orgsites.com/tx/bozzzydmc/

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:05:41 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

DMC Texas were selling these for a while but are on back order at
present. My #4426 came with two metal-bracket boots, the spare was older
and torn. The new one I stole for my #1458 and had a new boot made for
the spare metal bracket, now in 4426 and looking luvverly. My point on
this is that this car was off the road for a good 5 years (7 now) when I
bought it and I know the PO spent a lot of money at DeLorean One

Martin

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:10:46 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: 3 Brass Screws Infront Of Engine

Hi Dani

My post was worded badly - I didn't mean you were wrong, just that
there's more than one way to skin a cat (is that a phrase stateside?!).
Anyway, it tickled me as a very rough'n'ready solution to the AC idle,
and it was used in production

Martin

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:12:11 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Paris eh?  I guess you'll have to take extra efforts to keep it
safe.  Are things as bad over there for cars as we've been led to
believe over here?

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:50:08 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Re: Standard Shifter Gator and.....

You fixed your metal frame with fiberglass ?

I would like to know what the german TÜV would say about
that...maybe you can post some pictures ?!?

Elvis & 6548

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:54:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Aw Crud!

Too bad about all your problems but the good news is you are probably
over the worst of it and are now into the "Preventitive Maintaince"
period. Of course from time to time you will have a problem to fix but
remember the car IS 25 years old! The door problem is kind of a big
deal however. It is very inconvenient to use the car when the driver's
door won't open. The repair is over the skill level of a novice. It
sounds like you have had much of the work on your car done by others
for your bills to be so high. Even for a Delorean in "perfect" running
shape you still need to budget *some* money on repairs and
maintainence. The thing to do is to get in touch with you favorite
vendor and see what arrangments can be made to get the door repaired.
If you are not comfortable doing this kind of work your efforts could
make things worse and more expensive to fix.