From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 4:48 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3125

1. Re: Raffle Car UPDATE
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

2. Rear Fascia Side bolts?
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

3. Re: Leather cleaner
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Aw Crud!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. DCS Registration update and fun stats
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

6. RE: Lower amp radiator cooling fans
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. torque settings for trailing arm bolts
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>

8. Re: overseas shipping
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

9. re; Raffle Car
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

10. Celebration Exotic Car Festival April 28-30 (Disney Area)
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: Damaged in NY
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

12. Re: Rear Fascia Side bolts?
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

13. Re: Raffle Car UPDATE
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

14. RE: re; Raffle Car
From: "IN2TIME" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

15. Re: "Anything to Win" on GSN
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: overseas shipping
From: Darren Cunningham <darren.cunningham_at_dml_runbox.com>

17. Re: Lower amp radiator cooling fans
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Does your local library have any rare Delorean footage?
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:53:40 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Raffle Car UPDATE

By the way the raffle car bushing has been replaced and the air conditioner is now working

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:01:48 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: Rear Fascia Side bolts?

My old fascia is off...   I'm installing my new (used) rear fascia now.
I have the top 9 or so bolts all started but a little loose, and now want to get the 6 side bolts through the fiberglass outboard of the tail lights (3 per side).  How do I find the way to do this?  When taking the old fascia off I was able to pop it off using a wide flat tool, but it flexed the fascia more than I want to flex the new one.

Was I supposed to remove the entire fiberglass support off the back of the car first and assemble it onto the fascia first?  The shop manual was a bit vague, but with no mention of dealing with the release cable or electrical harness I read it as no.  I can't find a walk thru wit pictures - any tips appreciated...

Tom

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 20:09:42 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Leather cleaner

Oh, OK.  Those parts aren't actually leather but they are vinyl, as  Dave T.
said.  Not sure how well leatherique would work on those parts. I  use the DMC vinyl protector stuff from DMCH and I have also used Connolly Hide  Food.

Good luck!
Andy

In a message dated 2/17/2006 5:27:21 P.M. Central Standard Time, dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

My seats  are fine.  I had those recovered a few years ago and are great.  My  question was mainly for the other interior trim.  Doors and center  console items.

Erik

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 20:34:31 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Aw Crud!

Agreed - I usually tell people at car shows it's not really a high performance car, it's more of a luxury GT, then everyone seems to understand  what the car is all about.  It is definitely luxury for its time -  Take a look at a similar era Lincoln or Cadillac and you will see that the  DeLorean was lightyears ahead of what the US auto industry considered  'luxury'.

The only thing remotely close to the high visual appeal of the interior would maybe be Mercedes, Porsche, and BMW.  Even '81 Ferrari 308's look  dated today.

Andy

In a message dated 2/17/2006 9:45:02 A.M. Central Standard Time, malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I've  always considered the DeLorean a touring  car.. :)

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 00:16:58 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Registration update and fun stats

Well I got the Room list from Pheasant Run today and went over it.  Usually there are a lot of mistakes and cross registering so that is what I  always have to clean up. It happens every show.  I Just finished a few  minutes ago and it looks like we certainly did it.  I found a few mistakes  but it amounted to two or three rooms and they have been filled by people that  already have called me or e-mailed me today.

I may have one extra Luxury Suite if you are interested please e-mail  me.
This is the two story room that is pictured on the web page.  I will  give it to someone probably mid march once all guests are verified. First  request will get it if it comes avail.

We have updated the web page to show that the rooms at PR are sold out and we are looking for an alternate hotel.  If you do not have a room do  not panic Pheasant Run will give us a list of alternates in a few days.  I  am trying for one place with 50 rooms.

This show has not followed the normal trends but since I did all the stats for the show tonight I thought I would share the results of the fun facts.

The number of States is now at 38 represented. A few less than PF

This was the fastest we ever sold over 200 rooms.

We did not reach that amount until June in 2004 and only about 178 in Memphis 2002

The (first time people) vs people that have been at an event before is at about 42% new 58% returnees We have been at about 50% level since  Cleveland.

I say about because it's based on the room count and how many are listed in the rooms.

From the rooms and how many are listed it looks like about 414 people but rooms like mine that I put aside earlier list 1 person although 6 will be in the  one room so there is some discrepancy at this point,  So the actual number will probably come in closer to 500.

Less than half those that have room registered have event registered I am guessing its about 20% event registered.

As far as actual registrations this is a relatively slow activity and falls well behind the rooms and the stats are much different.  The new  registrants are only 21% returnees are the 79% so you have some catching up to  do.

For the first time the more expensive rooms sold out before the less expensive rooms even though they were split 100/ 50 / 50

This is the earliest we started registration for a show.

The strangest of all facts:  People that event registered are NOT
necessarily those that reserved rooms.  So either you live local or,   Well I don't know
what.

Last stat

Even though there are a lot of first time show registrants about 90% of the names are on one or more of my lists ( Raffle car, magazine, familiar names on  DML, private e-mails asking about show. etc).  So even if you are new  to the show you are not new to the DeLorean Community.  And Yes I keep  everything that is sent to me regarding the car show just so I can do all these  fun facts LOL.

Its been a long day checking out all the data and its midnight here so I am going to bed,.

Thanks for making this another successful event.

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:48:28 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Lower amp radiator cooling fans

Paul, With proven success with over 30 sets sold all over the US. Desert heat area, Midwest South and Eastern. Reliability, lower current draw and none of the hassle of needing a Fan Fix. Life warranty on motors.
No drag down and the sound is like any normal cooling fan as you walk by them in front of the car. No hesitation on start up.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/radiator-fans-front-2.jpg

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:58:30 -0000
From: "Paul" <willinot_at_dml_ukonline.co.uk>
Subject: torque settings for trailing arm bolts

I have just bought a set of bolts to replace my existing trailing arm
bolts.  The rating on them is 12.9 instead of the orignal 10.9.  What
is the TOrque setting I need to use for these.  Is it the same as the
orignal.

Thanks

Paul Belfast

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:11:34 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: overseas shipping

Hi

That price is very high. Unless they offer some outstanding service I
wouldn't use them. The company that I used shipped my DeLorean from Miami,
FL to Poland in an enclosed container for about half of what you paid. I
would use them again in the future. And BTW, Poland is further away than UK
and I'm sure you would pay even less. They ship anywhere in the world.

Greetings from Poland!

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
www.deloreana.com

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 08:03:46 -0500
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: re; Raffle Car

Just wondering if one has to be present at the show to claim the car if it is won. Much as I'd love to attend the show, I won't know if I can attend or not until nearly the last minute due to my employment obligation.

Regards,

David Toscano
Worcester, MA

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:12:03 -0000
From: "jeff512tr" <cingular512_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Celebration Exotic Car Festival April 28-30 (Disney Area)

Registration is now OPEN for the 3rd Annual Celebration Exotic Car
Festival, taking place the weekend of April 28-30 in Celebration, FL
(adjacent to Disney World)
This event is 100% charity and all net proceeds are donated to Make-A-
Wish. In the first two years, over $90,000 has been donated from this
event. This year alone we are on track to raise over $100,000!
The weekend has a judged concours of 200 exotic cars, a black tie
(optional) awards gala and silent/live auction, a rally, and much
more! All exotics are welcome, and this year we also have added space
for 20 very select/rare muscle cars. There were 23 DeLoreans at the
event in 2005- lets top that this year!
Celebration is an ideal concours location- the cars are set around a
lakefront promonade, there are six sidewalk cafes, many shops, a
theatre, etc, all walking distance from the host hotel and adjacent
to Disney World!
Check out our website at
www.celebrationexoticcars.com
or register now on-line at
http://65.212.173.228/netsavy/fca/ev...ebration_1.htm

Please register EARLY and make your hotel reservations EARLY! This
event always sells out. We have a limited block of rooms and suites
at a substanital discount rate at the Celebration Hotel. Please call
and reserve your room at 407-566-6000, and mention the Car Festival.
(That weekend also hosts the LPGA in Orlando, and hotel space will be
limited, so please reserve early)

See you all there!
Jeff Ippoliti

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:19:57 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Damaged in NY

Subject: Damaged in NY

We had very bad winds in south eastern NY today. I came
home today to find my car port had lifted off the ground
and shifted and a dent in the rear passenger side
fender... :-(

Photos can be found here:

http://www.tycomsystems.com/damage/

Anyone have ideas on the cost to fix such a dent?

Michael Paine
Vin 6067 (w/ an unwanted face lift)

Michael,

Sorry to hear about what mother nature did to your Delorean,but if
you are talking about a portable garage,or tent garage,that did the
damage, what I would suggest and here are some helpful tips,and also
what I did with mine,to prevent possible future damage,(I am using
two 10'X20' portable garages)is I placed and anchored the feet(s) on
2"x4" Pressure treated,studs,running the length of the portable garage
(on all four
sides),that also helps align and hold all the legs parallel with each
other,and it also keeps any leg(s) from lifting/moving, then I
drilled "screw holes" where every piece of  the tubing frame(s) slip
into each other,then I screwed it all together(using 1 inch deck
screws,drill only from the bottom sides,the sides that do not come in
contact with the tarp!)so as to make it (the frame) one solid unit,I
also then laid down a one piece exterior tarp(get one that is at
least one foot bigger all around the perimeter of the floor area) on
the total interior floor/ground area(mine were setup on a dirt
floor),and then I stapled the tarp to the tops of the 2x4 studs,to
act as a vapor/water barrier,then on top of the plastic I laid down
plywood,to act as the base floor,so far so good,no rain/moisture
penetration,and they have stood solid as a rock with zero movement in
up to 70 mph winds!! (highest winds so far) Also remember to go out
there every once in a while to remove the snow off the roof,as to
keep it from sagging the roof/tearing it,and causing a torrent of
snow ,and possible damage to your car,that is easily done from the
interior by using/shaking the roof cover,with a broom,(using the part
you sweep with)which makes the snow easily slide off.If you need more
info just email me.

Hope that helps from causing future damage
CBL

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:23:55 -0500
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Fascia Side bolts?

It is MUCH easier to attach the fiberglass to the fascia
and attach both to the car together...

At least, that was my experiance.

Michael Paine
vin 6067 (w/ a slightly smaller dent now)

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:42:42 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

One more thing I forgot to add about this car (you can tell how
excited I am for the drawing) is that this is hands down the fastest
starting car I have ever been in.  You turn the key and you never
even hear the engine try to turn over, its just a "vroom" the split-
second you twist that key.  I've driven about 10 different DeLoreans
(Including my own 19,000 mile D, and Ken K's now-famous 'Gigawat'
concours car from the GSN show) and this raffle car is by far the
fastest starting and strongest running.  Once the tranny is serviced
and back in, this will be one strong running car for another 200,000+
miles.

It sounds like the tickets are 1/6 of the way sold out already, so if
you missed out on a hotel room, don't miss out on a raffle ticket too!
http://www.deloreancarshow.com/delorean-raffle-car.html

-Patrick C.
Vin 1880  "Miss June"

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:17:39 -0800
From: "IN2TIME" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: re; Raffle Car

David Toscano asked:

Just wondering if one has to be present at the show to claim the car if it
is won.

All of the Raffle car info is listed here: http://raffle.deloreancarshow.com
<http://raffle.deloreancarshow.com/>

This part answers your question:

- The raffle winner does not need to be present to win and will be contacted
after the show

- Winner is responsible for shipping, may take the car with them, or pick it
up in Cincinnati

- If the winner is within 300 miles of Cincinnati we can help arrange
shipping for the winner

Gary

IN2TIME

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:06:03 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: "Anything to Win" on GSN

I often think of this, and how a delay would have been beneficial.  To
get past the wobbly early 80s would have made all the difference.
Remember what things were like for upper end cars in 1985?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_...>

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:34:32 +0000
From: Darren Cunningham <darren.cunningham_at_dml_runbox.com>

Hi,

3 of the cars I had shipped (2 Cadillacs and a Custom Lincoln) were
special cases and needed extra care and speedy shipping. The 4th car, a
Continental didn't need any special attention but I didn't mind paying a
bit extra (approx 1% of the purchase cost) for piece of mind dealing
with a company I knew :-). Most of the quotes that I got were in that
price range anyway...

Out of interest, who did you use?

Darren
vin12180

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:15:58 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

On 2/17/06, sweetp01569 <paul.sweet_at_dml_fmglobal.com> wrote:
> What are user's experience with the 11 amp (versus 28 amps) cooling
> fans offered by SpecialT Auto?  I don't like that "drag" down feeling
> when the original fans come on, and wondered if the less current draw
> had much of an impact on that situation. Also, are they easy to
> install?

Paul,

I have John's fans on #5447 and love them. That "drag" down feeling is
eliminated completely. These fans are also extremely quiet. Cooling
wise, they do a great job. I've sat in stop and go traffic with the
A/C on full blast in 105+ degree weather and never had a problem. I
do, however, have a newer 3 core radiator from DPNW; no idea how well
these fans might do with the stock radiator.

Installation isn't terrible, but neither is it a cake walk. You do
have to get the radiator up off it's mounts and push it forward quite
a bit to get the old fans out. Plan on spending 4 hours or so if
you've never had the radiator out before. I think it only took me an
hour or two, but I'd already replaced the radiator once before and was
familiar with clearances, etc.

You might check out Toby's fans, too. I don't have them but I can
testify to the excellence of his other products. Whichever vendor you
choose for this, you can't go wrong.

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:44:39 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Does your local library have any rare Delorean footage?

Mine has an old film reel of "Start Up"

For sale for $500.

 Sevareid, Eric, 1912-
 WGBH (Television station : Boston, Mass.)
 Learning Corporation of America.
Series Enterprise series.
Publisher New York, NY : Learning Corp. of America, 1981.
Subjects Automobile industry and trade -- United States.
 New business enterprises -- United States.
 De Lorean, John Z.
 Businessmen -- United States -- Biography.
Summary Tells of the difficulties of starting a business as
background to the story of John De Lorean, a former General Motors
employee, who started a company capable of competing with automobile
industry giants.
Note Title from data sheet.
Performer Eric Sevareid.
Note College students and adults.
Description 1 film reel (30 min.) : sd., col. ; 16 mm.
ISBN For sale ($500.00) or rent ($50.00)

I've never seen it.  Since these catalogues are now on line, I
wonder what we could find.