From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 6:51 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3126

1. delorean raffle ticket on ebay...
From: "Josh Haldeman" <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

2. Re: Windshield replacement?
From: "rdcejc" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>

3. Re: re; Raffle Car
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Does your local library have any rare Delorean footage?
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>

5. Re: Aw Crud!
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Does your local library have any rare Delorean footage?
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

7. Re: Does your local library have any rare Delorean footage?
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Aw Crud!
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Car Show
From: "gbsdelorean" <gbsdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Lower amp radiator cooling fans
From: "Joe Palatinus" <jpalatinus_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Does your local library have any rare Delorean footage?
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Crankshaft nut
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

13. Michael J Fox Article
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

14. Re: Car Show
From: "dmcxii" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. RE: Re: Windshield replacement?
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

16. Running again!
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Yes, the same old exhaust question.....again
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Re: Windshield replacement?
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

19. Steering Wheel
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

20. Delorean and the F-14
From: "andy" <andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com>

21. Re: Rear Fascia Side bolts?
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Fuel issues
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. new plated parts added to ebay store...
From: "Josh Haldeman" <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:10:19 -0500
From: "Josh Haldeman" <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: delorean raffle ticket on ebay...

Hey Guys,

Ken asked me to put a ticket for the DeLorean raffle up on ebay.  Here's the URL if you're interested in bidding (this would be a ticket that normally costs $50):

http://tinyurl.com/bkys3

I'll also be adding a bunch of newly plated brackets and small items to the ebay store this weekend.  Just got them back from the platers and they look like brand new!  I'll post again when they're up.

Contact me off list in the meantime if you're interested in anything in particular. (jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net)

Thanks,
Josh

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 01:11:57 -0000
From: "rdcejc" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Windshield replacement?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_...> wrote:

> When I had my windshield replaced last year I found that the
urethane that
> was supposed to hold it in and help cushion the glass was very
thin near the
> bottom by the passenger side clip.
>
> It was obvious that the bead had not been in contact with the
glass since it
> was new. That is exactly where a crack developed.
>
> Mike Walsh
> #17084

MIKE,
WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR WINDSHIELD.  I HAVE A 1981 WITH A CRIACK DOWN THE CENTER OF THE WINDSHILD AND HAVE TO REPLACE IT.  I LIVE IN FLORIDA BUT CAN ALWAYS HAVE A WINDSHIELD SHIPPED IN.
ED COHEN

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:13:23 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: re; Raffle Car

You do not need to be there to win
Its in the rules and regulations

Last shows winner was not at the show either

good luck

Ken

PS when I get the alternative hotel contract signed "
GET A ROOM

You can always cancel but after these next 50 are gone thats it

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 04:38:09 -0000
From: "sweitzel_2000" <sweitzel_at_dml_lffltd.com>
Subject: Re: Does your local library have any rare Delorean footage?

That sounds pretty interesting. I can make a digital video transfer from 16mm pretty easily with equipment I have. How many days do you get to keep a film print for the $50 rental price?

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 06:00:59 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Aw Crud!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_...> wrote:

> I've always considered the DeLorean a touring car..
>
> :)

That's interesting. I heard some people considered it that, so I decided to pose the question to someone with the credibility to give me the real answer. At the '05 DMCH Open House I personally asked Bill Collins if the DeLorean was indeed considered a "sports car" when it was conceived, developed and produced. He said yes, it was. He told me John DeLorean considered it, and I quote, "a gentleman's sports car".
If John considered it a sports car, I think it's safe to say that it is.

Touring cars are traditionally Saloons/Sedans. The DMC-12's styling and physical characteristics hardly fit that mold.

:)

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 16:13:57 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

My library at the University of Arizona has that film as well.  When I first watched it a number of years ago, I actually tried to secure the rights to the film so I could distribute it (kind of a lofty goal for an 18 year old).  Turns out someone had my same idea and is currently selling VHS-only copies on eBay typically under the heading of "RARE DELOREAN DOCUMENTARY/MOVIE FOR SALE"  I talked to him one day and he said he secured the rights to distribute the film but only on VHS (DVD was a pipe-dream back then)

So yeah, if you want a 16mm original with the Start-Up titles then $500 is the price, but you can have the same content for $30 on VHS.

-John
AZ-D.org

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:09:16 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I'm not sure... sounds like something I could check into next weekend!

--S

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:55:21 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

I have to agree with Dan. It's definitely a sports car.

A sports car is not necessarily fast. In fact, many - I might even go so far as to say most - of them aren't. Look at the Pontiac Fiero, early Toyota MR-2, some Nissans, Triumphs, MGs, Fiats, etc.

-Ryan

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:19:33 -0000
From: "gbsdelorean" <gbsdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Car Show

For us non-owners, what is a good reason for going to the show?  I think it would be fun just to see the cars and talk with owners, but my better half keeps asking why.
This may be too much of a thread so just pointing to a web site that talks about pheasant run would be great.
Thanks
GBS

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 16:02:02 -0500
From: "Joe Palatinus" <jpalatinus_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Lower amp radiator cooling fans

I have John's fans and a NOS plastic tank radiator, and my temperature does not go above the second mark, ever.  I used to have the tripple core brass radiator and the stock fans, and my car would run a little hot (needle would go to horiontal), I attribute this to the brass radiator having 30k miles on it and having been hit a couple of times by road debris which bent one of the pipes.  Special T's fans look weak and puny (compared to the heavy stock fans), but they cool like a refrigerator and sound like silence.  I love them, you get no noticable current draw, and you don't even realize that they turned on.  Although my car has had some electric issues which could have caused the stock fans to not receive the requisite amount of current when they were installed, John's fans now cool my car more than the stock fans did.
Joe P.
VIN 17167 6808

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:13:11 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I emailed said gentleman and asked him why no DVD.  I'm sure he must get tired of being asked that question.  I'm not Mr. Cutting Edge, but I did throw away my VCR years ago.  By the way, I am also at the U of A, but in the law school right now.  Back to the books, then.

--S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_...>

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:46:02 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Crankshaft nut

In my manuals it says it is a 35mm nut and a 36mm or 1 7/16 nut, what size is it really for the Crankshaft pulley nut?

Also i plan on removing the timing cover to replace the leaky gasket.
 From the pictures it looks easy and like nothing will fall out but is there any thing that might fall out or get out of adjustment?

Any special grease i need to use to replace the rear main and front crank seal?

Thanks in advance.

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:22:54 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Michael J Fox Article

Some of us old-timers belong to AARP. An interesting article appeared in the Jan/Feb 2006 issue about Michael J Fox and in which, I thought many of you would be interested.

It is out under the "Files" section "AARP Fox Article". I scanned in the article pages - enjoy.

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:48:06 -0000
From: "dmcxii" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Car Show

Great question. If you are seriously (or even not seriously) considering aqcuiring a DeLorean anytime in the future, there is no better way to see and compare 150-plus cars in one sitting. You'll see the good, the perfect, the bad, and the ugly. It will really help you understand what to look at when you go shopping. You'll meet a bunch of geeks who know more about these cars than you'd ever imagine.

I went to the DOA convention in 1997 before I bought a car, and not only is this where I met many of the notable personalities of "the cult" in person, I formed some long-term friendships and convinced myself that this was a great direction to go.

The car show website at www.deloreancarshow.com is the place to start, hopefully this will also convince your SO that the event has plenty of other attractions going on too.

Dave Swingle

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:15:38 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Windshield replacement?

Just to jump in - I just bought one from Houston - people are complaining about delamination - mine wasn't bad.  Its probably not concours quality, but the defects are hard to find unless your really looking for them.

Tom
10902

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 23:56:04 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Running again!

Thanks to all who offered their knowledge in the matter of my D not starting.  It ended up being the battery and not the starter.  I just bought a new battery and it started up fine.  There was a fiasco at the auto parts store because I bought that battery about a year ago and it had a 2 year warranty...  But, I had moved in that time and my warranty paperwork got lost in the shuffle.  And on top of that, someone at the auto parts store did not enter my warranty info into their system, so they had no records... :(  So, I just sucked it up and bought a new one.  Oh well...  Small price to pay so that my D starts up. :)  Thanks again, to all who offered their help and knowledge.

Corey

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:18:18 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Yes, the same old exhaust question.....again

 So, what's it gonna be?? which system would you buy? DMCH's or the UK set up?? Money no object neither are exchange rates but fit finish sound is....prefer cat/no cat etc... Im all ears guys, Im still undecided but want to purchase one real soon.
thanks

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 16:29:50 -0500
From: "Mike Walsh" <mike_at_dml_mikewalsh.net>

I ordered mine from PJ Grady in Long Island. I know DMCH has them
(www.delorean.com) , have you tried DMCF? (www.dmcflorida.com)

Make sure you get the pad to mount the rear view mirror. If the mirror is glued it is almost sure to crack the glass with changes in temperature.

- Mike

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:05:30 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Steering Wheel

Anyone know where to get a sporty steering wheel, with some silver in it, something like the one that was on the cover of the DMCH magazine several months back.  Also want to get a shift knob (automatic) with a grip and silver in it.  Add the DMCH two tone seats and the inside is done.

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:22:31 -0000
From: "andy" <andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Delorean and the F-14

I read an item in the morning paper about the F-14 Tom cat fighter plane. The story said it took 50 hours of maintenance for ever hour of flight, this is almost the same ratio of driving a Delorean. Gotta love the Tomcat and the Delorean.

Andy B 3513

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 02:45:50 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Fascia Side bolts?

When installing a NOS rear fascia, I with the assistance of my father just put one side in, then proceeded to gently lift and pop the other side in. The I made rubber spacers to make the fascia flush with the stainless. I actually found it amazingly easy.

Took under an hour including disassembly & reinstall, and cleaning behind fascia.

Now to REALLY have fun with fascia installation, wait till you get to the front one. :-)

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 02:49:10 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuel issues

OK, I've had a few issues with my fuel system. It all started at a mall parking lot.

1. Replaced the boot as the old had disentragated into the tank.
2. Replaced the boot cap, as there was none.
3. Replaced the fuel line coming off the top of the pump, as it too was corroded, and broke when disconnecting it from the pump.
4. Replaced the filter in the baffle
5. Replaced the baffle with the John Hervey setup - Heard some good stuff from some of the guys at AZ-D who are running it, (seems to do the trick) - Since I replaced the entire baffle, there is no need to replace the hose that connects to the baffle 6. Replaced the fuel pump

Ran the car - Found that crud clogged up the new filter on the bottom of the pump.

Cleaned it out, cyphoned the tank (so that there was only about 1/3 of an inch of gas left in there. Wiped it all out (removing silicon stuff that someone had used to put back together the fuel sending unit, a random screw, and general crud on the bottom of the tank.))

Raised the fuel pump 1/4th of an inch to guarantee that the filter was not resting on the bottom of the baffle/tank

Filtered out the gas prior to putting it back into the tank. Ensured that all the crud (oil like goo with black lumps which used to be the boot for the gas pump) which had gathered on the bottom of the 5 gallon buckets did not go back into the tank.

Put all back in, shone a flash light into the tank. Ensured nothing was floating around. Put the fuel sending unit back on/in

Replaced an in-line fuel filter just above the pump (not sure why one is there, but put a new on in anyhow)

Ran the car - worked like a champ... Ran her around roundabouts, on the freeway, and it did great. Parked the car, happy as a clam. Went to go meet my wife for dinner, and put new high octane gas into the car. Filled the tank up about 100% of the way. The car all-but died.
Nothing I coudl do to keep the RPMs up. The car could be floored in Neutral, and I could barely get above 2800. Running in a gear was a joke. First gear running at 5mph, was about the fastest that I could go.

Turned off the car, started her back up --> could rev her up, but then same thing again when I had to turn a corner.

Got back to my garage, Left it running, ensured that there was nothgin squirting out when it was in neutral running. Found nothing. But what I did see was that the return line hole coming up from the boot, had allowed fuel to leak in and around the pump. Cleaned it out. Let the car cool (7pm).

Ran it again at 10pm (it was about 50 degrees outside) the car ran great when cold, but the second it warmed up to standard operating temperature, same thing. No power. No RPMs. Turn off the car, you can get it (the rpms) up there for a few seconds to pick up speed, but then that is it. I would almost venture to guess that it is flooded, but since there is no carb, that would probably not be the case.

Starts up good every time. Shone a light back into the tank, and the filter at the bottom of the pump seems to be clear and green.

Checked the connection at the bottom of the  inertia switch, it was not really hot, and appeared to be in good shape.

I could see from the car running (looking into the tank), that fuel was being sent back into the tank just could not see how much or how fast, not that I know how much or fast it is supposed to be.

When this is happening, the pump is quiet, ie not screaming.

Help!

Sean
3372
az-d

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:57:57 -0500
From: "Josh Haldeman" <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: new plated parts added to ebay store...

Hey Guys,

I just finished adding all the new plated parts that I got in this weekend to my ebay store.  (http://stores.ebay.com/Cincinnati-Used-DeLorean-Parts)

The lot includes a lot of useful brackets and small parts that don't necessarily go bad with time, but do tend to age and look "old" like the fuel filler neck, the muffler brackets, engine mounts, inner door handle brackets, transmission brackets (only have one left hand one remaining!), coil mounting bracket, parking brake handle base, torsion bar retaining plates, rear hubs, and tons more!  Use the search tool in the store by typing in the part number or item name you seek.

All of these newly added parts have been professionally plated, and look as good as or in some cases better than new!  Check them out, and let me know if I can help you with anything.

Thanks,
Josh
VIN 3951 (parts car - due to horrific unrepairable modification and neglect) VIN 11289 (former concours car turned parts car by bad aftermarket alarm wiring, and subsequent engine bay fire) VIN 10236 (parts car - due to rear end collision and subsequent neglect)