From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:37 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3128

1. Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

2. Re: Fuel issues
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Fuel issues
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

4. Re: Fuel issues
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 01:38:28 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO

His car is currently with us. I shouldn't go into details without talking to Andy first and checking it's okay with him, but there were quite a lot of minor-to-moderate problems on the engine.

I think the single largest factor was that he had replaced something that he then ruled out and the new replacement was faulty.

Martin

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 02:09:15 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel issues

OK, now I'm confused.  I have an in-tank filter on the inlet side of the pump and a filter back near the engine, but no other in-line filter. So someone got creative with either your fuel system or mine?

I get a little leak-through into the boot where the return line tube passes through the boot too... or perhaps at the bottom of the pump.  Both the seal around the pump and seal around the return line are clamped down tightly but I can't seem to prevent some seepage.
If you solve it, let me know! It seems less of a problem if I don't top off when I gas up.  I generally put in 9.5 gallons now and leave it at that.  Haven't noticed any fuel smell since, though I haven't eyeballed under the upper boot for fuel.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Tank was just drained (5 hours prior) and cleaned out. Added new high
> octane fuel to it.
>
> Other than with gas treatments, how do I clean the injectors (i assume
> remove them, and soak them in something...)
>
> Which filter are you talking about, the in-tank, the in-line or
the
> one near the engine bay?
>
> Sean

 [long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 03:15:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

To clean the injectors you need the injector test stand. All of the vendors have one and so do most Volvo dealers. Soaking them is not enough. See what the pattern looks like first. If it shoots out a stream and not a mist you need to have them cleaned. Most can be cleaned well enough so you would not have to replace them except in the most extreme circumstances. Do not expect any gas supplements to be able to clean the injectors. You should also replace the injector seals, especially if they are hard. Hard seals will allow vacuum leaks.

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 03:11:42 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

David,
Pulled the tank apart again. (Now for the 5th day in a row, I wreak of gasoline). I found that the tank filter was still good to go. So I ran it. Darn car sounded like a go-cart that they have at those crappy amusement parks - No power. My next step was to tighten the cap on the pump, and the return line Pulled the inline fuel filter above the pump as you suggested. I was amazed. I could drive 5 whole miles without it cutting out or sounding like a crappy go-cart again. I got the engine all hot again (it still ran good). Only a good freeway run will tell for certain... with luck I will make it to the AZ-D tech session to get at the rear fuel filter (for that matter getting it off).

As for emptying the tank again. I would do it if I had a way to ditch 12+ gallons of gas (no gas mower for me here in smoggy Phoenix)

Listening from the driver's seat, the frequency valve would be behind my left ear (as far as the sound location)?

No vacuum hoses knocked loose-> good thinking though!.

Another thought I had was to replace the plugs.. Know the gap size?

I had a feeling that the in-line fuel filter was not supposed to be there, but now you confirm it.

Thank you
Sean 3372
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> Get rid of the inline filter by the fuel pump. It may not be able
> handle the high pressure of the fuel system safely.  Replace the
> filter by the left rear tire. Check the pattern on the fuel
injectors
> and if necessary have them tested and cleaned. Make sure the
frequency
> valve is buzzing. Remove the fuel and refill with fresh. You really
> shouldn't have replaced the any of the old stuff after cleaning out
> the tank. After removing the fuel inspect and clean the tank again.
> There can be NO fuel leaks by the fuel pump. Very dangerous.
Tighten
> the connections. You can also have a problem with the Control
Pressure