From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 9:03 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3129

1. Re: Fuel issues
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Fuel issues
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Fuel issues
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Fuel issues
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. A excellent tool.
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Aw Crud!
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Re: Yes, the same old exhaust question.....again
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Re: Obscure part needed
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

9. Re: Obscure part needed
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Fuel issues
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

11. Re: Aw Crud!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Fuel issues
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Fuel issues
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. DCS2006 Hotel Update
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. Re: DCS2006 Hotel Update
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

16. Re: Stainless ripples
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

17. Manual vs Auto Build Mix (was: Re: Aw Crud!)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

18. RE: Fuel issues
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: DCS2006 Hotel Update
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

20. Re: Manual vs Auto Build Mix (was: Re: Aw Crud!)
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

21. Lodging at Pheasant Run
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Fuel issues
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

23. Re: Fuel issues
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

24. End of the GTO again
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net

25. Re: Manual vs Auto Build Mix (was: Re: Aw Crud!)
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:40:55 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel issues

Just a reminder that our engines are designed for regular gas. Was this just a one-time deal as part of your tank cleanup?

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:38:27 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I understand you now... I had already placed the cleaner in my tank
when I wrote the message.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia_at_dml_...> wrote:

> What I was indicating was that the injector cleaner caused the
problem.

> DarkStar

Behalf

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:42:16 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Well, it was either the fact that I used some gas, or I made doubley
sure that the top was on the pump  really tight/correctly, but after
driving it about 20 miles on the freeway tonight I did not have a
build up in there. I am pretty confident that the boot does not stop
seepage up from the tank.

Sean

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_...> wrote:

> OK, now I'm confused.  I have an in-tank filter on the inlet side
of
> the pump and a filter back near the engine, but no other in-line
> filter. So someone got creative with either your fuel system or
mine?

> I get a little leak-through into the boot where the return line
tube
> passes through the boot too... or perhaps at the bottom of the
> pump.  Both the seal around the pump and seal around the return
line
> are clamped down tightly but I can't seem to prevent some
seepage.
> If you solve it, let me know! It seems less of a problem if I
don't
> top off when I gas up.  I generally put in 9.5 gallons now and
leave
> it at that.  Haven't noticed any fuel smell since, though I
haven't
> eyeballed under the upper boot for fuel.
>

> Marv
> #10820
> AZ-D

  [long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:43:45 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

So I just take 'em off and bring them in, or do I have to bring the
car there, so that they can use the pump to shoot fuel through?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>

Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:17:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: A excellent tool.

Ever get tired of trying to find those old, old
DeLorean webpages with those excellent DIY tips, but
when you go look there's nothing but a "404" message
staring you right back in the face?  Well, a fried of
mine recently suggested a link:
http://www.archive.org/

It keeps a record of just about every page to ever
have existed on the Internet.  I tested it with
Jordan's old DIY page at dmcnews.com under the tech
session.  Now I have all the processes that I thought
were gone =).  Just thought I'd chime in on this as
it's an excellent information tool.Now when I find old
DeLorean pages that come up "404" I get excited
because I can go back to the past, and I don't even
have to use any plutonium =P.

Jeremiah

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:09:06 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Aw Crud!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_...> wrote:

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_> wrote:
>
> > Touring cars are traditionally Saloons/Sedans. The DMC-12's styling
> > and physical characteristics hardly fit that mold.
>
> I must jump in here.  Have you never heard of "gran turismo"?  Those
> are touring cars.  Here's the definition as printed in MotorTrend.
>
> A textbook gran turismo isn't a sports car, but it can be damned
> sporty.  It's not a race car, but it is usually fast.  It's certainly
> not a luxury car, though it can be both comfortable and luxurious.  A
> great GT combines all these traits by virtue of versatility, not
> compromise.  It's a machine that begs you to pedal it 600 miles in a
> day, will deposit you at your destination sans fatigue, and ultimately
> support the satisfaction of an engaging drive.  It has adequate space
> for at least one guest, temporary accomodations for two more , and
> just enough room to carry matching luggage for a grownup weekend
> getaway.  A gran turismo has style, but isn't necessaricly over the
> top - nore panache than flash.  It is a hot-looking, comfortable,
> fast, mature automobile that makes you want to drive from L.A. to
> Boston for a bowl of chowder.
>
> Not a Saloon - Not a Sedan.

From Wikipedia-

"Gran Turismo is Italian for grand touring or "grand tourisme". These
terms are used to describe long distance or endurance races like 24
hours of Le Mans, Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, Carrera Panamericana and
the high-powered sportscars which compete there. Some examples are the
Ferrari 250 GTO and Porsche 911 GT3."

So there's a whole other view of the meaning.

> Now, with the exception of the "temporary accomodations", ie.
> practically jump seats, I think the description above is pretty much
> right on target for our DeLoreans.

Well, I don't know about the "just enough room to carry matching
luggage for a grownup weekend getaway" part, lol.

> I couldn't help but notice that JZD is alledged to have referred to
> the car as "a gentlemen's sprots car".  To me that sounds like his
> market was for "well to do guys" who wanted something sporty to drive
> to the golf club.  Remember his comment about the rear package shelf -
> it must hold a bag of clubs.

That was a direct quote from Bill Collins. Nonetheless, JZD did call
it a sports car, which is what I see it as.

> Personally, this car is what you want it to be.  I use mine as a
> touring car.  Perhaps that's why I was one of the founders of the
> DeLorean Touring Society! This summer we will cover 5000 miles in 15
> days.  That's touring!

Fair enough. I never said it could not be used for touring. Sounds
like you have a lot of fun with yours. I think that is awesome! I do
feel however, if the car had come with a good dose of real horsepower
along with everything else it has, nobody would be calling it anything
else but a sports car. I'm just under the impression that since it
didn't "cut it" as a sports car in the popular mindless opinion of the
mainstream, some people are seeking to justify it's legitimacy by
categorizing it as something else. I'm not saying you are doing that,
or anyone in particular. It's just the general "vibe" that I get.

The DMC-12 was intended to compete in the market with the Corvette,
not with Cadillacs, Lincolns or Mercedes Benz. Corvettes are also
intentionally designed with the capacity to easily accommodate one set
of golf clubs. That is a real design parameter from Chevrolet.
Corvettes are sports cars. So is the DMC-12.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:38:19 -0600
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Yes, the same old exhaust question.....again

I just had mine tested in Texas-- it is safetly test only now that it is 25.

But, all things considered, unless you are doing things to the internals to
get more HP out of the engine, the cat/no-cat will not buy you what you pay
for. The high-flow exhaust is plenty high-flow, more high-flow than the
stock engine really needs. It likes a little back-pressure, apparently. Read
the thread recently on the engine burbles and how Kayo has tried many
different high-flow exhaust systems and went back to stock.

But, I am very happy with my DMCH system. I won't go back.

--
-Kevin

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:11:40 -0600
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Obscure part needed

We've got a couple hundred of these. 110185  $196.56.
http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?PID=2311&Qty=1&ShowCart=true
Warren at DMC

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:24:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Is this a rare item?  Good to know..  I recently cut
up my MTX mounts, only to find that they are rare
too..

Was just about to cut up the engine harness too!!

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 14:46:48 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The frequency valve is on the right valve cover. You will see 2 black
hoses going to it. You should be able to hear it buzz and it should
buzz all the time the motor is running and it should buzz steady. It
sounds like the problem was the inline filter but check out the
frequency valve anyway. The spark plug gap is in the Workshop Manual.
Go through at least 1 tank of gas before replacing the filter so you
catch most of the crud before you put the new one in. You could be due
for a full blown tune-up. This would include spark plugs, ignition
wires, distributer cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, O2 sensor,
valve adjustment, testing and cleaning the injectors, and the
replacement of any hard, cracked vacuum hoses. You should also check
the operation of all the engine systems and check the timing. Do not
tolerate any leak in the fuel system. Most of it is under high
pressure so any leak can become a blowtorch if ignited.

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:28:46 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Most recent info indicates that there was a fairly equal proportion of auto
vs manual.

When I was talking about luxury, what I meant was European luxury vs gaudy
over the top chromed-out US luxury.  There isn't a single car today that is
considered luxury that has a soft floaty feeling because everyone thinks that
sporty is a quality that any expensive car should have.

I wasn't really talking about sitting in a lazy boy while you drive luxury,
maybe what I should have said was having an exclusive car that costs more than
 most other US cars - something that most people would consider luxury,
IMHO.  Conversely, there were high performance cars that cost quite a bit  less
than a DMC back then.

Andy

In a message dated 2/20/2006 7:22:21 A.M. Central Standard Time,
djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

Most  DMC-12 were manuals, not automatics, which would make no
sense in a luxury  car model, and hell, the automatics didn't even have
an overdrive!! Not  very luxury car-esque. Shall I go on?

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:05:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If you've got a friend that's a jeweler with an ultrasonic, take them to him/her. A few minutes in one of those and a good rinse in a solvent and they'll be like new.

seanhagan <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
  Tank was just drained (5 hours prior) and cleaned out. Added new
high octane fuel to it.

Other than with gas treatments, how do I clean the injectors (i
assume remove them, and soak them in something...)

Which filter are you talking about, the in-tank, the in-line or the
one near the engine bay?

Sean

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "twinenginedmc12"

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:22:23 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Yes it was... I normally put in 87 octane. I just wanted to be sure
that it would burn a little cleaner in a lame attempt at cleaning
out the carbon.

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:31:42 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: DCS2006 Hotel Update

A message from Ken Koncelik - apparently AOL is being a bit list-
unfriendly today. One of these days he'll get a real ISP.

Hi

We have chosen the Hampton Inn in Elgin IL to be the alternate site.
It is located at the intersection of I 90 and 31 north of Pheasant
Run.  It is very freeway accessible and they have 50 rooms at this
time set aside for us. The room rates are $89 and it includes a
typical Hampton breakfast.

The hotel is 13 miles from Pheasant Run and takes about 20 minutes to
get there.

We chose this Location to be out of the Corvette traffic route so
that you will encounter minimal traffic. There are closer hotels by a
few minutes but they are right on the road that the Corvettes will be
driving on their ralley.

It is striaght up Route 31 along the scenic Fox river and goes
through Elgin. This was (at one time) going to be part of the
driving tour but now you will get to see it a few times. You will
pass the Riverboat Casino and other scenic sites.

The hotel is at 847-931-1940 and they are ready for reservations.
The web page is www.hamptoninnelgin.com and it is a newer facility,
clean and secure. The address is on the web page and you can do
google global search to find it.

We will be updating the web page soon along with an online
registration option from Hampton.

You can start making reservations today

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:42:55 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: DCS2006 Hotel Update

And I suggest making reservations quickly.  When these rooms are
gone, I doubt Ken will be able to find another hotel.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:21:56 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Stainless ripples

If the imperfections are uniform and approximately the size
of an eraser from the end of a pencil, running along the side
of the fender, these are from the stamping process.  There
are several locations on the SS panels where they can be seen.

As a side note, there are some brushing imperfections that can
appear as tight swirls that are also from the factory or QAC.

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:25:10 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Manual vs Auto Build Mix (was: Re: Aw Crud!)

Andy,

Dan seems to be correct here. According to the latest data that I am
aware of, located here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/n_vinmix.pdf

An estimated 65% of the 1981 models (about 4300 cars) were manual
transmission. Additionally, less than 20% of all the 82 and 83 VIN's
were automatics, meaning that an additional 1800 or so were manual,
for a total of 6100 or so out of 8700 cars, or about 70%.

I'll take this as a chance to plug the DeLorean Production Chronology
and DeLorean Owners Directory for all the new owners and DML'ers. With
the summer show/driving season right around the corner, I expect this
is due for an update soon. Be sure that you are registered!

http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> Most recent info indicates that there was a fairly equal proportion
of auto
> vs manual.
(SNIP)

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:03:05 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hmmm.... Since it only happens after the car is warm perhaps your warm up
regulator is at fault. It might be raising the control pressure so high you
don't get much fuel flow after the car is warm. I would get a K-Jet fuel
pressure tester and see what your control pressure is when the car is warm.

I don't recall the spec off the top of my head, but it's in the manual.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:16:01 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I'm having visions of a stainless-steel tent city of stragglers
camping out in my front yard. THAT would amuse the neighbors (again).

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:04:25 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Manual vs Auto Build Mix (was: Re: Aw Crud!)

When I was actively looking for a DeLorean about 10 years ago.   I checked
Web sites, magazines newspapers and every avenue I could think of and kept a
record.   I wanted an automatic with gray upholstery and stainless steel.
I really liked the manuals but after a lot of years (I am 84) of rowing
through the gears of many cars, I got tired of it and decided I wanted an
automatic.  My records showed that of the cars for sale during about a two
year period....about 8 out of 10 were 5 speeds. I had a lot of trouble even
FINDING an automatic for sale....I finally found one with 3K miles and it
has 8K now!!  I know this does not mean much as to actual production but
shows what percentage were for sale at the time.   FWIW Dept.
Murray
Vin:  05962
Lic:  DMC-XII
Auto-gray-SS

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:06:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Lodging at Pheasant Run

  Hello List,
     Does anyone on the list have a room at the Pheasant Run resort that they would be willing to share if I pay half of the hotel fees?  I would greatly appreciate it.  Please email me off list and let me know.
     Thanks,
       Chris Mack  - DMC 6453

christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:07:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The injectors have to be removed from the car to be cleaned in the
tester. Ultrasonic cleaning will not do it.

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 00:12:47 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Higher octane gasoline does not have any more cleaning power than
regular. It DOES have octane boosters which essentially cause the fuel
to burn slower and make it harder to ignite to prevent detonation,
generally for higher compression motors. As long as what you put in is
at least 87 octane it is fine. In this case more is NOT better, just
more expensive. I have noticed that the higher octane does give
slightly better gas mileage. Not enough to justify the higher price
though.

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:59:16 +0000
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: End of the GTO again

Thought the group might find this interesting since John was the original father of the car line and his true success story as the start of the muscle car. Looks like the second release of the car was not as near as succesful.

Pontiac will drop the GTO this year

Jamie LaReau
Automotive News / February 21, 2006 - 10:08 am

DETROIT -- General Motors has told Pontiac dealers that it will discontinue the GTO coupe at the end of this model year. GM will make the last deliveries of the vehicle to dealers by the end of September, sources close to Pontiac say.

GM will produce 10,000 to 12,000 more GTOs before dropping the nameplate, one source close to the situation says. Last year, Pontiac sold 11,590 GTOs compared to 2004 when it sold 13,569. That's a 14.6 percent drop.

When Pontiac launched the GTO in 2003, it projected 18,000 annual sales. The vehicle was criticized for bland styling, and some fans of the original GTO complained that it lacked nostalgic styling cues.

A Pontiac spokesman confirms the GTO will be discontinued after the 2006 model year.

“There are some changes in the federal regulatory standards. One is an airbag deployment standard that would require some very expensive re-engineering of the car,” says Jim Hopson, Pontiac spokesman. “Since the architecture of this car is being phased out around the world it’s not economically feasible to continue this car.”

Pontiac will continue to build the GTO through the end of May, Hopson says. The last “boatload will hit the ground in June”, he adds.

The GTO first came to dealerships in December 2003 as a 2004 model, Hopson says.

The GTO is built on a rear-wheel drive architecture from GM's Holden division in Australia. The present model is going out of production as GM constructs the new Zeta RWD architecture, says the source.

There is no replacement coupe planned at this time and because of the strong Australian and weak U.S. dollar, the GTO had to be priced thousands over where GM originally wanted it -- in the mid-twenties, the source says. "It never did as much volume as we had hoped," the source says.

Pontiac is considering a replacement in the lineup for a RWD performance vehicle, but does not have anything to announce yet, Hopson says.

The GTO suggested retail price starts at $31,990, including shipping. One GM source says, "the 2005 and 2006 were pretty well sold out, and sales were especially strong in areas of GM weakness, like Southern California. It's a shame it has to go -- for now."

You may e-mail Jamie LaReau at jlareau_at_dml_crain.com

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:35:19 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

OK I could be wrong here but I do remember reading on the DML within the
last year that the builds were approaching 50/50 auto vs. manual with whatever
data there is out there and being gathered constantly.  Maybe Knut can  chime
in?  I do accept that I may be mistaken, however!

Andy