From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:09 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3132

From: "Johnny Sawyer" <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "bepositive2000" <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

9. Re: New injectors, new problem :(
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Brakes gettign dangerous
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

11. Re: Additional Info
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Brakes gettign dangerous
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. RE: Re: End of the GTO again - Banshee
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

14. Re: Aw Crud!
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. RE: Brakes gettign dangerous
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

16. More fascia questions - angle iron and touch up paint
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

17. Re: Brakes gettign dangerous
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

18. Help! Is this normal?
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. RE: Brakes gettign dangerous
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Aw Crud!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: Brakes gettign dangerous
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

22. Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. DCS NEW RELEASE Bob Gale and someone else
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Brakes gettign dangerous
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

25. Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:23:13 -0700
From: "Johnny Sawyer" <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Additional Info

If your pump had any restrictions, it would be complaining about it by it's charateristic hum.  The testing you have done is kinda over my head, so I really can't comment on that.

Johnny
5518
AZ-D

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 03:01:07 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: New injectors, new problem :(

Purchased new from a vendor.

Nathan

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 05:09:46 -0000
From: "bepositive2000" <BePositive2000_at_dml_Yahoo.com>
Subject: Brakes gettign dangerous

My brake pedal travel has increased from about 20% to about 80% in the last approx 1000 miles. After pumping the brake pedal once or twice, the rpoblem is gone for that braking event; however, the problem returns after going a few seconds between braking times. The fluid level has not dropped in the master reservoir and there are no apparent leaks.  It feels like air in the system but I cannot imagine how this would have occurred since I very thoroughly bled the brakes over 1.5 years ago (and re-did all the cylinders, hoses, etc.)

Your thoughts on the cause would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wood

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:52:30 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: End of the GTO again

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, JVDMC12_at_dml_... wrote:
<SNIP>
> Its truely a shame
> there are no great minds left in GM like JZD to give us what we want.

Well, that's the thing. JZD didn't make a specific car that people wanted. He took basic econo-boxes, and gave the buyer a performance option. Be it with the Super Duty accessories back in the 50's, or the GTO option for the Pontiac Tempest. The REAL car that JZD designed from the ground up for GM, the Banshee concept, never even got the chance to see the light of day...

The real "De Lorean Sprit" of affordable performance is cramming an obscene engine, into an economy car. The only car that I can think of that even comes close to this formula now days would be the Dodge SRT-4. Little subcompact Dodge Neon. Simple interior. Simple design.
MONSTER turbocharged engine, coupled with a Quaife ATB in the transmission, and a seperate dampener just to counter the torque-steer of the engine. And then, there are additional Mopar Accessories to boost performance of the engine up even higher! Now THAT is the kind of formula that JZD used to produce a car that people liked. A big part of that being affordability. And suddenly, you take a low-priced vehicle, and with a new engine, and some modest modifications, you've bosted it's selling price!

GM didn't do that with the Holden Monaro/GTO, so it just wasn't the same. They slapped a GTO badge onto a car, and figured that would be enough to sell it. You can't base sales of a car on percieved nostalgia, when it has no ties to the original product that you are trying to sell in such a "proxy" fashion.

There is allot of talk about JZD in the news as of late. While I'm sure that the stigma of DMC will never be erased, I certainly expect the man to be "martyred" by many analysts in the next couple of years as General Motors goes down the toilet. I find it quite interesting that I have seen a few documentaries focusing on JZD's Pontiac days, while casualing omitting his future scandals (Fine Living channel had  specials based on Pontiac Super Duty parts alone a while back, as well as the Firebird & GTO/Tempest). Many of these specials keep pointing to De Lorean's success with GM, and their subsequent failure after he left. ie. the last incarnation of the GTO, etc.

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:29:20 -0500
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

I had a problem along these lines, and finally discovered that my fuel distributor had gotten messed up.  In my case, the gunk (quite possibly rust, as water had somehow gotten into my fuel system at this time) in the distributor was getting pushed into the injectors and clogging them.  Cleaning the injectors would get them working for a bit, but five or ten minutes later more gunk from the distributor would jam up the works again.  It took quite a while to figure this out, but finally a replacement distributor fixed the issue.  Not exactly a cheap solution, I admit...

-- Joe

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:14:59 +0100 (MET)
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

How did you measure that ?

where did you catch the fuel ?

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:01:41 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

At this point I would opt for buying a K-Jet fuel pressure test kit. You can
get them from JC Whitney, SpecialtAuto, and other places. I bought mine at
an online BMW parts/supplies place. That way you will know what's going on
instead of having to guess about it, and you'll own the tool for future use.

If you don't want to buy one, I think that John Hervey used to loan his out.
I'm not sure if he still offers that service, but you can ask him.

Also, someone else asked where you bought your injectors. If you bought them
from one of the DeLorean vendors you almost certainly have the right
injectors. If not there is a chance you have the wrong ones. There are
several that look alike but have different characteristics such as flow rate
and cracking presusre. Definitely confirm that you have the right injectors
before doing anything else.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:09:53 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

i would go back to basics.

check the the ignition circuit wires are all sanded clean or
recrimped.

check/replace distributor cap is the correct one and all the plug
leads are ok nd firmly seated.

check they are all in the correct order 1-6.

check all the fuel lines to the injectors, maybe one is swapped over?

remove injectors, jump relay and depress fuel flap 5mm or so,
injectors should spray an even pattern.

Have you done this?

Steve

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:27:59 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Then at this point you seriously need a K-Jet pressure tester.  You  will be
running in circles forever without one.

Andy

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:00:00 +0000 (GMT)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Brakes gettign dangerous

Sounds like a faulty brake master cylinder if there arent any leaks, although seems strange if the component is only a year and a half old. I had the same problem, bit scary isnt it! Down to my local parts place and ordered a Saab 900 brake master cylinder.

  Thomas
  Vin #4087

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:54:17 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I measured the current draw from the RMP relay plug and caught the
fuel at the main input hose for the fuel distributor.

Nathan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_...>
wrote:

> How did you measure that ?
>
> where did you catch the fuel ?

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:35:54 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Inspect the area around the master cylinder for any signs of wetness.
Since you say it is near 2 years since you last did anything go ahead
and flush and rebleed the brake system. If that doesn't work you will
probably have to replace the master cylinder. It is also possable that
one of your hoses is bad and when you step on the brakes it swells so
check the hoses too. Just because you replaced parts 1 1/2 years ago
does not mean that one of them could not go bad.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "bepositive2000" <BePositive2000_at_dml_...>

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:40:45 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: End of the GTO again - Banshee

DMCVegas Wrote:

The REAL car that JZD designed

from the ground up for GM, the Banshee concept, never even got the

chance to see the light of day...

The real "De Lorean Sprit" of affordable performance is cramming an

obscene engine, into an economy car.

_______________________________

Worse than abandoning the Banshee concept - I'd thought that perhaps
they took some of it's precepts and made them more GM, less JDZ.  I see
influences of the Banshee in the design of the (don't hate me) Monza
fastback - which was available in the late 70's/early 80's as a V8 - it
was definitely an obscene engine for the platform. While I drove one in
the mid 80's, I don't think we would have caught JDZ cruising in one.

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:51:46 +0000
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Aw Crud!

Alright, my few pennies....  Some insurance companies won't insure the
Delorean because it is a "sports car". I asked them how could this be when
the DMC has only a little more horsepower than my '72 Vega GT Wagon?  The
response- "Oh, it has a tighter, "sports car" suspension."  Hmmm.  OK, then
the Lincoln Town Car with the adjustable "firm-to-luxury-car" suspension
switch could be also classified as a "sports car"?    Uh-Huh.     Well, I
like my DMC GT , no matter how the insurance companies choose to label it.
   Drive Stainless    Robert  VIN 6924

You're right, it's not a high performance car. Spots car does not
necessarily mean high performance. The Fiat X1/9 was a sports car, but
was far from a high performance car. The Ford Taurus SHO was a high
performance car, but you could hardly call it a sports car.

 > it's more of a luxury GT, then everyone seems to
 > understand what the car is all about.

They do?

 > It is definitely luxury for its time -  Take a look at a
 > similar era Lincoln or Cadillac and you will see that the DeLorean
 > was lightyears ahead of what the US auto industry considered
 > 'luxury'.

Huh? First let's talk about the ride. A car's ride is the result of
it's suspension. You either get great handling and a harsh ride, or a
soft ride with poor handling. It's a trade off. Luxury cars feature
soft rides. It's one of the things that makes them a "luxury car". The
DMC-12 ride is definitely not soft, nor is it's handling poor. My
DMC-12 has 18K miles. My steering and suspension are still tight, and
I can say from experience that the DMC-12 does not offer a "luxury"
car ride. It falls more on the side a buckboard than a floating on air
feeling. Both Cadillacs and Lincolns had VERY soft ride
characteristics in the early 1980s. Also, even when new, the DMC-12's
seat leather was not exactly the most supple, and the seats were not
exactly soft. That's another clue you're not sitting in a luxury car.
And while the DMC-12 had many standard features you'd find as options
on most other cars, it didn't even have a factory cruise control
available. Any luxury touring automobile in that era would. That's a
given. Most DMC-12 were manuals, not automatics, which would make no
sense in a luxury car model, and hell, the automatics didn't even have
an overdrive!! Not very luxury car-esque. Shall I go on?

 > The only thing remotely close to the high visual appeal of the
 > interior would maybe be Mercedes, Porsche, and BMW.

That's purely subjective. By the way, early '80's Porsches were not
luxury cars either. Expensive, but not luxurious.

 > Even '81 Ferrari 308's look dated today.

lol, okay whatever...

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:14:16 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

Can the Brake Lines swell the way the clutch line does?  That would
explain it.

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:56:00 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: More fascia questions - angle iron and touch up paint

My new/old rear fascia is finally aligned and I'm about to put the last
of the bolts in, but I have an extra part.  The P.O. had installed an
piece of 3/4" angle iron, slightly radiused, and drilled out so that the
top 9 screws would anchor into it behind the fiberglass support
structure, rather than to the speed nuts on the fiberglass support
structure itself. Its not in my parts manual and there was no such angle
iron in my new fascia, which came as an assembly with its support.  Has
anyone else seen this?

Also - the new rear fascia was used, but stored for 20 years.  It has a
few small nicks in the factory finish but overall looks much better.
Has anyone discovered a near/acceptable match between the fascia grey
and any of the commercially available touch up paint colors or paint
pens from duplicolor, dealers or others?

Tom

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:38:13 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I have not actually seen a brake hose swell on a Delorean (other cars,
not Deloreans) but it is possible. I HAVE seen front brake hoses act
like they have a check valve in them so that the caliper never
releases. If you have the origional hoses they are over 25 years old.
It was NEVER intended that anyone drive around on 25 year old brake
hoses! If you are having this symptom then these are some of the
possible causes. Have someone step on the brake pedal while you watch
each hose to see if it swells. The more likely possability is a dying
master cylinder but just suppose you went and changed it and STILL had
the symptom. You would ask yourself what else could cause this? Better
to check before you change the master cylinder and waste a perfectly
good one.

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:12:12 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Help! Is this normal?

Hello all,

Well here is a little problem (or not?) I have discovered. I notice
when I first start up, ALOT of smoke with a very strong exhaust smell
comes from the mufflers. Its enough where you don't want be anywhere
near the car. This will last for about 10 minutes and then it will
settle out and lessen greatly. I also notice a "pssssssst" sound
coming from the engine when I open the throttle. I assume this sound
is just air being let into the intake? Is this condition normal or am
I running too rich? I've tried to adjust the CO plug but it doesn't
seem to help. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Danny

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:38:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

> Can the Brake Lines swell the way the clutch line
> does?  That would
> explain it.

Well, he could upgrade the lines with SS ones and
solve that problem if so.

> My brake pedal travel has increased from about 20%
> to about 80% in the
> last approx 1000 miles. After pumping the brake
> pedal once or twice,
> the rpoblem is gone for that braking event; however,
> the problem
> returns after going a few seconds between braking
> times.

I would highly recommend replacing the master cylinder
before this gets too much worse.  Two years ago I
would be at a stop light or a stop sign and my brake
pedal would just "sink" about 2 inches all by itself
while I'd be waiting.  This was due to a failing
master cylinder; I think to be honest the original one
the car came with...  it sure had the signs of it.
Casey and I thoroughly bled the entire brake system
multiple times once the new MC was on, and so far so
good.

Be careful driving your car like this; you could be
driving on "borrowed time".  A new master cylinder is
sure less expensive than dent SS panels...

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:27:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

You have got to try one of the many insurance companies that
specialize in insuring older vehicles. Get a Hemmings Motor News and
you will find Haggerty, Taylor, and Grundy just to name a few. Now if
you are trying to insure it as a daily driver then you are right, your
options are limited. Also be very careful about the value of the car
you insure. They will try to give you a "Blue Book" value if it is
stolen ot totaled. When you insure a daily driver they do not give you
"agreed value". The "sports car" label is usually used to just get a
higher premium. In some cases they go by horespower, in others it is
hard to say why they call it a sports car except to guess they are
just trying to squeeze a higher premium out of you. The bottom line is
to get several quotes and pick the best for you.

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:26:07 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I suppose they could, I've never seen it. More common is that they
plug up causing a brake to either hang (stay engaged) or refuse to
engage. I've run into this on more than one long-term-storage car,
never on a daily driver that is maintained.

The problem you are seeing, if not accompanied by puddles of brake
fluid, can really only be the master cylinder having an internal
link.

Dave S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Can the Brake Lines swell the way the clutch line does?  That would
> explain it.

Behalf

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:53:35 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!

I am very excited. My car is improving very quickly.

After talking to John from SpecialTauto I learned that new injectors
are supplied with a grease to protect them from rust. This needs to
clear out before the injector will operate properly. Got mine
spraying and the car is now sounding/running great!!  I do not have
a low primary pressure as I had suspected.

As for my starting problem (firing up and then dieing) I have
discovered the cause of that as well. My accumulator is definitely
bad, and thusly was allowing a large volume of fuel to enter the
return line. I suspected that this was causing my fuel pump to take
longer to pressurize the system than it should due to the loss of
volume. Since the system was not reaching operating pressure before
the cold start injection burned out the engine would die. I removed
the return line from the accumulator and plugged it, forcing the
fuel that would have otherwise returned to the tank to remain in the
high pressure side. Result: my fuel system reaches operating
pressure in less than a second as apposed to 10-20 seconds allowing
the engine to stay running. Sound good? I am sooooo relieved that
the car is working!

Now on to adjusting the valves to eliminate the clicking!

Nathan
Happy 2277

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:15:04 -0500
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS NEW RELEASE Bob Gale and someone else

 Hi

OK here is a bit of a twist.
Bob Gale will not be able to make the show this year because his daughters graduation is the same weekend as the show.  As you may have noticed he has been off the web page for some time.

SO

He talked to Christopher LLoyd and asked him if he could make it and as of 6:00 EST time today we are making final arrangements for Christopher to be at the show.  We have been talking with him for a few months and he believes his television schedule will allow him to come.

We have made the hotel reservations and car reservations already and depending on airfare costs and availability he will be here at least for Saturday if not all three days.

Keep in mind with any celebrety that since he is under not under contract NO appearance of any of the celebreties is ever 100% guarenteed.  I have done my best to bring you the best I can but since these people are so gracous as to decide this show is important to come to we appreciate that but there is no contract with them so that if a business problem occurs that they must meet they can.

He is looking forward to the show and this will be my only post on it until all final airfare and dates have been set.

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:14:26 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

i would change the fluid immediately and then see how it performs.

very cheap but could save your life.

and i would always use 2 people rather that easi bleeds, just don';t
think much of them (mine blew off and spayed brake fluid in an arc)

Regards

Steve

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:52:18 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!

On the PRV, exhaust manifold gasket leaks are frequently misdiagnosed as
incorrect valve lash.  I have never heard of someone who had to adjust  their
valves more than a couple hundredths of an inch, they seem to stay in tune  quite
well.  Just an FYI in case you still hear ticking when you done. How  many
miles on the car?

Andy

In a message dated 2/23/2006 8:33:03 P.M. Central Standard Time,