From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 7:58 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3133

1. Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Pics of my D's winter cosmetic work...
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Delorean Car Show
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Sports car or GT - was: Aw Crud!
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

7. AW: Sports car or GT - was: Aw Crud!
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

8. Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Looking for Stephane Van Westerop or any OTTAWA Owners
From: "Ken - ODOC \(Ontario DeLorean Owners Club\)" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>

10. Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. Re: Delorean Car Show
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

12. Cutting Keys
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

13. RE: Cutting Keys
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

14. Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

15. Re: Cutting Keys
From: "Todd Nelson" <todd1561_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Re: Delorean Car Show
From: Faded N Jaded <fadednjaded_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. Re: Cutting Keys
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: Cutting Keys
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Cutting Keys
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

20. Re: AW: Sports car or GT - was: Aw Crud!
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

21. HOT or COLD START PROBLEM?
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

23. Re: Cutting Keys
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. Re: Delorean Car Show
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

25. Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 04:11:18 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!

I am fairly confidant its a valve tick. I have looked at the exhaust and it appears ok, the sound is definately coming from the valve cover. Is there a way to tell for sure?

The ODO says 37,000 miles (unconfirmed). I think a more accurate assessment would be around 60,000 as the angle drive was shot when I got the car. Dont think it would be much more than that, the engine is super strong.

Nathan
2277

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> On the PRV, exhaust manifold gasket leaks are frequently
misdiagnosed as
> incorrect valve lash.  I have never heard of someone who had to
adjust  their
> valves more than a couple hundredths of an inch, they seem to stay
in tune  quite
> well.  Just an FYI in case you still hear ticking when you done.
How  many

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 03:39:21 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

And wait until you see how much fun THAT job is, eh Andy?

Dave S

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 03:38:45 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Pics of my D's winter cosmetic work...

I just posted a blog with pictures of the progress I'm making on my D's winter projects...  Louvers, facias, and seats.  Take a look if your interested.  :)

Here's the link...
http://digitaldmc.livejournal.com/98988.html#cutid1

Corey

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 03:49:32 -0000
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean Car Show

I registered for the DCS a couple of weeks ago.  I just got my car last August, and I am completely new to the car show scene (having a car in a show). I am really looking forward to this show.  My wife doesn't seam as excited, but I told her that she will be able to spend the whole weekend with me(and my Delorean, of course). What should I expect from the show? I did not enter into the concours judging. Is this something I should do? I am planning on trailering my car to Pheasant Run.

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 04:21:52 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Sports car or GT - was: Aw Crud!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Alright, my few pennies....  Some insurance companies won't insure the
> Delorean because it is a "sports car". I asked them how could this be
> when the DMC has only a little more horsepower than my '72 Vega GT
> Wagon?  The response- "Oh, it has a tighter, "sports car"
> suspension."  Hmmm.  OK, then the Lincoln Town Car with the adjustable
> "firm-to-luxury-car" suspension switch could be also classified as a
? "sports car"?

No, an adjustable ride suspension alone does not turn a land yacht
into a sports car. Also, as previously stated, horsepower is not a
defining factor in whether a car is a sports car or not. There were a
lot of British low horsepower sports cars. From Wikipedia:

"A large, powerful engine is not required; many of the early British
sports cars lacked a powerful engine and did not accelerate as quickly
as, say, muscle cars, but were known for having exceptional handling
characteristics due to their combination of light weight, carefully
engineered/balanced chassis and innovative suspension designs. Lotus
is often cited as an example of this approach. On tight, twisting
roads, such a car has higher effective performance than a heavier,
more powerful car with less cornering ability."

Interesting how this excerpt fits the DMC-12 so well even though it's
not specifically about the car.

> Well, I like my DMC GT , no matter how the insurance companies
> choose to label it.

They label it according to what it is. It's a sports car. Also, as
previously stated, Bill Collins, the car's original engineer confirmed
to me personally that it was considered a sports car by JZD.

-------------------------

For those of you who wish to take the time to read them. these two
encyclopedia entries seem to make very good arguments for my case the
the DMC-12 is a sports car:

Sports car:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car

vs.

Grand Tourer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_tourer

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 04:21:17 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I just did a set of exhaust gaskets on a 24K mile car. I'd bet money
that's what you're hearing. The gaskets generally burn thru
underneath (there is a ridiculously thin area). Like Andy, I've never
heard one where the ticking was really valve noise.

The best way to tell is adjust the valves, then when it still ticks,
yank the engine and change the gaskets. It's a miserable job, and it
is possible to do with the engine in the car if you are really living
right. Unfortunately the studs often break, and there are several of
them that you can't hit with a drill with the engine in place.

Second best way is to notice whether or not there is more noise under
load as opposed to at idle - if so it's definitely the gaskets.

Dave

---------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:16:09 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Sports car or GT - was: Aw Crud!

> From Wikipedia:

>"A large, powerful engine is not required; many of the early British
>sports cars lacked a powerful engine and did not accelerate as quickly
>as, say, muscle cars, but were known for having exceptional handling
>characteristics due to their combination of light weight, carefully
>engineered/balanced chassis and innovative suspension designs. Lotus
>is often cited as an example of this approach. On tight, twisting
>roads, such a car has higher effective performance than a heavier,
>more powerful car with less cornering ability."

>Interesting how this excerpt fits the DMC-12 so well even though it's
>not specifically about the car.

Well, a friend of mine has a Lotus Elise and I know how this
little thing handles. No, you absolutely can't compare it to a
Delorean. never ! Not even with my new shocks I installed (the
adjustable ones form Ed Uding, very stiff now to keep the car
on the road) it is even close to the Lotus.

But I can enjoy long distances in my Delo, while the Elise
is better for short trips and small roads, corners...

Elvis & 6548

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:15:50 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Gosh, I hope not but it is what it is. Can damage be done to the
engine with an exhaust leak? The reason why I was confidant that it
is a valve tick is because Don at Garden Grove pointed it out as
such, is it possible he miss judged it?

Nathan
2277

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:19:35 -0500
From: "Ken - ODOC \(Ontario DeLorean Owners Club\)" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>
Subject: Looking for Stephane Van Westerop or any OTTAWA Owners

Could you please email me off the list if you are a owner in OTTAWA or if
you are Stephane Van Westerop

Thank you

Ken

ken_at_dml_odoc.ca

www.odoc.ca <http://www.odoc.ca/>

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:28:59 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Could be - but Don/Dan are pretty good. I hope they are right! I
suspect I would lose diagnostic bets against them.

I've seen cars driven a long time with the leak - waiting make it
harder, but doesnt seem to hurt much. The surface of the manifold tends
to rust/burn away, but for some reason the head does not.

Dave
--------------------------------------
FROM: valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com
DATE: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:15:50 -0000
SUBJECT: Re: [DML] Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:37:06 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Car Show

Hello.

Four years ago, I had never been to a car show, and I showed up at
DCS2002 with my Delorean on a trailer, also not knowing what to
expect.  The show was a blast.  You can expect to meet lots of
interesting people, and see lots of interesting Deloreans.  Many
people will trailer their Deloreans there.

Even if your car is less than perfect, there will be lots of non-
concours categories for you to "compete" in.  Mostly it's just a good
time.

You will probably be really glad you went.

See you there.

Rick.

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:25:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>
Subject: Cutting Keys

Hi all,

  When I purchased 17076 last November she came with one long key which seems to open everything just fine. One of my first purchases for the car was a set of key blanks (2 long one short). I'm now attempting to get the keys cut.

  I don't want to take this to my local hardware store and have it cut by the 17 year old who also mops the floor. While I was getting my other car serviced at the local GMC dealership I asked if they could do it but they said "no" after a day of scratching their heads.

  I'm assuming this is now a job for a locksmith? Also I'm assuming the short key blank is for model years before 1983 that needed 2 keys for the car?

  What is the "key" to this dilemna?

  Parts Pit Mike
  CDN Vin 17076

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:44:05 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Cutting Keys

Mike:

The good news is that any locksmith should have key blanks for you, it's
a Volvo key, and it's cut on a standard machine.  The GM dealer just
didn't have the blanks or assumed yours were too valuable to possibly
mess up.

Start by heading to the local locksmith and pay the guy $6 or so to cut
you two keys from his blanks, if they work, you know that he's not an
idiot, you have 2 more keys, and you can get your nicer blanks cut with
little concern.

If they don't, you lost $6 - a world record cheapest problem you can
have with your car.  Manually compare them to your key, he may have not
ground deep enough, or your original key may be worn to the point it
barely works and dupes just don't cut it.  Mine is right on the edge,
half the keys cut by local blacksmiths work the first time, others just
don't.

If you can't get a good key by duping yours try carefully removing the
headliner panels on your doors - odds are there is a key code written in
magic marker there that DMCH (or others? - but definitely DMCH) can use
to cut you a new perfect key.  Even the kid at the hardware store should
be able to copy a fresh new one once you have it.

Tom

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:09:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

One way to confirm a valve knock is to use a stethescope. Or a long
bar or screwdriver and you place the other end on your skull just in
front of your ear. If you hear a loud metallic knock it is probably a
loose valve. It can't hurt to check the valve clearances anyway but in
many cases what seems sure to be a loose valve is usually an exhaust
leak. The reasons you will want to fix it is it will generally get
louder, it may send smells and CO into the passenger compartment, and
you can damage hoses and wires from the heat. One of the worst jobs
you can do on a Delorean IMHO. Not for a novice. Best results are
obtained using an acetalyne torch to heat and loosen fasteners before
you break them off! They can be drilled out with a right-angle drill
but it is very tricky to do it and stay centered and straight. With
37,000 on the clock and you don't know if a valve adjustment was done
at 30,000 I would do one anyway. I would also reset the Lambda counter
and replace the O2 sensor.

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:04:35 -0500
From: "Todd Nelson" <todd1561_at_dml_gmail.com>

Mike,

I wouldn't worry about bringing it to the local hardware store.  Speaking as
a former "17 year old who also mops the floor" at the local hardware store
and cuts keys, I can assure you it is not that hard.  Just let them know
that you only have a limited number of keys and if they don't feel
comfortable doing it to pass it on to their boss.  Since you have a later
car with the one-key system (using the longer keys) they should be easy to
find.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they had a dozen on the shelf.
Look for a generic Ilco X29 or a Volvo VL-5, they are very common.  If you
had an early car like mine it would be very hard to track down the door key,
took me several months and I wound up having to buy a bag of ten!  So if
there's anyone out there that needs an early door key blank, let me know,
I've got a half a dozen sitting in my drawer :-)

In fact, I've lost all hope for my local "locksmith", I brought my door key
to him at first and he cut something that wasn't even close.  I could tell
before it was even in my hand that it wasn't going to work.  But he was an
older gentleman and was nice enough to keep his doors open a few extra
minutes for me, so I paid the $2 and left.

But I've since found the right key, cut it myself, and it works great!

Good luck,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:00:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Faded N Jaded <fadednjaded_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

You ask "What should I expect from the show?"

  That's a very difficult question to answer. My guess is that you'll enjoy mingling and talking with fellow enthusiasts of the De Lorean car.

  From how you describe your wife's apparent lack of enthusiasm I wouldn't be surprised that she is bored to tears after seeing car after car that to her must look exactly like yours and wonder what all the fuss is about.

  In the end, I hope you realize that it is she that is important and not an assemblage of plastic, glass and metal.

  Faded

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:02:37 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I work at a conveinence store that also has a key cutting machine.
We aren't even a hardware store.  I'm 21 now and I've been cutting
keys since I was little.  Starting out when my grandpa showed me
when I was "knee high."  From experience, some "17 year-olds that
mops floors" as well may have some pretty good expeirence.  I've
even cut a key for a guy with an old Chevy Nova and the original was
broken into two pieces.  I was able to hold it together in the
machine and cut a brand new one that worked perfectly.

Now onto the keys themselves.  The company I order keys to have in
stock has a card that hangs behind the hooks that the blanks are
on.  Once every few years, they like to update to include newer
cars, but keep a few of the old ones around.  I just checked my
hooks and I do not have the "X29" or "VL-5."  But I do have the "VL-
6."  Unfortunately, the key company starts to get rid of some of the
older keys for cars that may not be made anymore off of the backing
card behind the hooks.  And as we all know, there are a bunch of
discontinued cars still out on the roads today that are still driven
a lot.

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_...>

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:34:04 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I get mine cut at my local Ace Hardware. I find the owner in the store
and have him cut them for me.

I'm now known as the Delorean guy, and he tells customers that a
person that owns a Delorean comes to him to have his keys cut, and you
can't get that service at Wal-Mart.

So I'm now part of a sales pitch at my local Ace Hardware.

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:00:24 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

I had the same problem, you may have the newer Volvo blanks, they are
the same shape and length but they are not the same, they are mirror
images.  Your local Volvo dealer can order them for you though, and
they are epxensive.  To get the right key blank, you will have to find
a locksmith that has Taylor X29 or equivalent key blanks, your car
does not require two keys.  I went to 3 different locksmiths to find
the right blanks, as I did not have time to wait to get blanks from
the vendors.  You can also get key blanks from the vendors.

Bernie

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:21:24 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: AW: Sports car or GT - was: Aw Crud!

It's a little unfair to compare a new very high-tech sports car to one
that is 25 years old and based on technology that is even older.

The Elise is a stunning handling car.  NOTHING else on the road
compares - for any money.  And with only 190hp in a 1900lb package,
you really understand what weight does to kill a car.

In my mind, the DeLorean is more of a grand touring car than a sports
car.  The main reasons is that it is underpowered compared to
cars in era, and it is generally heavier, which doesn't help handling.
Lotus did a reasonable job getting the car to turn,  but to really
know what a backbone frame is capable of delivering in terms of
handling you need to spend some time in a Europa or an Esprit.
The DeLorean is decisively ponderous compared to those cars.

Simply put, the DeLorean is a better grand touring car than it is
a sports car.

-------------- Original message from "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>: --------------

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:27:14 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: HOT or COLD START PROBLEM?

Hello all,

I took my car out today for a little 20min spin. I came home and let
the car sit for about an hour. The temperature outside today was
around 40F. I then returned to my car and the engine was still a
slight bit warm to the touch. But, the car wouldnt start. I then
switched the CPR wire to the cold start valve and it started right up.

Now, do I have a faulty fuel accumulator or a bad thermotime switch?
If anyone can help me with this I'd really be greatful. I'm getting a
mixed messege by looking through back issues. Many thanks

-Dan

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:54:52 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Well the easiest way to find out is adjust the valves.  Dave has heard
and anyone else that saw the video of my Black Beauty (4045) with a
nasty ticking noise coming from the left front valve area, and it
isn't an exhaust leak.  I wanted it to be an exhaust leak.  That's why
she is in Houston getting a stage II engine upgrade among other things.

An exhaust leak won't hurt the engine but will drive you nuts, as it
get worse.

Bernie
VIN 6704 and 4045

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:51:37 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

On 2/24/06, Tom Tait <TTait_at_dml_brcweb.com> wrote:

> Start by heading to the local locksmith and pay the guy $6 or so to cut
> you two keys from his blanks, if they work, you know that he's not an
> idiot, you have 2 more keys, and you can get your nicer blanks cut with
> little concern.

Getting someone to cut copies from cheap blanks is a great idea. Some
people are simply terrible at cutting keys. I tried to get a copy of a
key at a hardware store once; took the guy several tries to get it
right, each time they made me go through a long process of
return/exchange before I could walk out to the parking lot and test
it.

I'd hate to have them screw up half a dozen nice blanks from DMCH!

I had my DMCH blanks cut at a local locksmith and got a few cheap
blanks while I was at it. The cheap blanks are not only useful for
testing to see if the locksmith is decent before cutting your good
ones, they're also nice to keep around for emergencies, etc, or for
use in one of those "hidden key" things to mount on the car.

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:04:34 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

On 2/24/06, Faded N Jaded <fadednjaded_at_dml_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>   In the end, I hope you realize that it is she that is important and not an
> assemblage of plastic, glass and metal.

Plastic, glass and metal, indeed... Well said, my friend. Even
nearsighted women with implants and bad teeth need love, and the
occasional weekend vacation.

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 01:06:39 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I tried the screwdriver method but I can't be sure about what I hear.
Funny thing is that the sound is really only pronounced when the
engine is warm. When cold it's barely audible. Perhaps the gaps loosen
up a bit when the motor gets hot? (at least thats what I want to
believe!) I would think an exhaust leak would present itself hot or
cold. Thoughts?

Nathan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_...>