From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 6:29 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3134

1. Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

2. Re: Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:09:57 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!

Might even wind up spending a couple thousand dollars!

Andy

In a message dated 2/24/2006 9:39:19 A.M. Central Standard Time, swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com writes:

And wait  until you see how much fun THAT job is, eh Andy?

Dave S

---  In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Soma576_at_dml_... wrote:

> On the PRV, exhaust manifold gasket leaks are  frequently
misdiagnosed as
> incorrect valve lash.  I  have never heard of someone who had to
adjust  their
> valves  more than a couple hundredths of an inch, they seem to stay
in tune   quite
> well. ..
>
>  Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:23:41 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!

The exhaust leak I am chasing right now was audible all of the time, and I think it started about three or four years ago and stayed quietly ticking for the whole time and then got so loud this fall that my neighbor likened it to a  tractor his dad used to own.

we're not saying don't bother adjusting them - go ahead and do it, it only takes a couple of hours and will cost you two valve cover gaskets at a minimum.  Don't forget a set of feeler gauges.  We are just saying  that 9 times out of 10, you will find the valves are just fine and you are still  ticking when you are done, but maybe you will get lucky and change the odds for  the next guy!

No matter what you do, make sure you report back and let us know what you find.

Andy

In a message dated 2/24/2006 7:58:27 P.M. Central Standard Time, valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I tried  the screwdriver method but I can't be sure about what I hear.
Funny thing  is that the sound is really only pronounced when the engine is warm. When  cold it's barely audible. Perhaps the gaps loosen up a bit when the motor  gets hot? (at least thats what I want to
believe!) I would think an  exhaust leak would present itself hot or cold.  Thoughts?

Nathan