From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 5:13 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3135

1. Re: Sports car or GT
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: HOT or COLD START PROBLEM?
From: pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk

3. UK DMC Ltd stage II engine upgrade
From: "Stuart Nicholls" <things_at_dml_emagineproductions.co.uk>

4. pleated hood for sale
From: "realrealgone" <realrealgone_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. RE: HOT or COLD START PROBLEM?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. RE: Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: HOT or COLD START PROBLEM?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

8. RE: Help! Is this normal?
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Delorean Car Show
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. You Tube
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Re: HOT or COLD START PROBLEM?
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

12. Re: pleated hood for sale
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

13. Re: Help! Is this normal?
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: pleated hood for sale
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

15. Re: Help! Truck cable broken!
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Re: You Tube
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>

17. Missing door key, possible to cut new one without copy?
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Help! Truck cable broken!
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Re: Cutting Keys
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 07:40:36 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Sports car or GT

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike.griese_at_dml_... wrote:

> It's a little unfair to compare a new very high-tech sports car to one
> that is 25 years old and based on technology that is even older.
> The Elise is a stunning handling car.  NOTHING else on the road
> compares - for any money.  And with only 190hp in a 1900lb package,
> you really understand what weight does to kill a car.

I agree. You can't compare 25-35+ year old DMC-12 technology to a modern Elise. Still, it does not mean the DMC-12 is an overall poor handling car. It handles well.

> In my mind, the DeLorean is more of a grand touring car than a sports
> car.  The main reasons is that it is underpowered compared to cars in
> era, and it is generally heavier, which doesn't help handling.
> Lotus did a reasonable job getting the car to turn,  but to really
> know what a backbone frame is capable of delivering in terms of
> handling you need to spend some time in a Europa or an Esprit.
> The DeLorean is decisively ponderous compared to those cars

I will agree with this as well. It will, however, out handle a stock late C3 Vette. I know because I had a '79. My Vette had far more horsepower, but it was best to keep it in a straight line. My D is more nimble than my Vette ever was. It was also up to 700 lbs lighter than a C3.

> Simply put, the DeLorean is a better grand touring car than it is a
> sports car.

I said the DMC-12 is a sports car. I never said it was great at being one. It is a great car, but not due to how it performs. I can also agree that it can fit in the role of a grand touring car very well, even though it is not one. It's a sports car, not a grand touring car, but it's more useful as a grand touring car than it is a sports car.

One of the things I have to tell my Vette buddies when they urge me to try and mod my DeLorean into more of a performance car is that my D is a lover, not a fighter. I use the car as a "cruiser", not a track toy.
If I want high performance, I'll get a C5.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 13:51:27 +0000
From: pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk
Subject: RE: HOT or COLD START PROBLEM?

Hi Dan

I found with my car that the thermotime and the accumulator was bad.

When I tried to start the car from hot I could smell petrol which ment that the thermotime was telling the cold start valve to pump more petrol into the engine than was required or so I was told. I was also told the thermotime hardly ever breaks down but I have seen a few problems with them from other posters on the DML since I changed mine.

Once this was changed the hot start still remained but I could no-longer smell petrol when starting, the car would start though after about 30-40 seconds of ignition turning and gas pumping.

I changed the accumulator about a year ago now and have not seen the hot start problem since.

These are usualy the main problems but your best bet is to drive the car for about 10 minutes and then leave it for another 10 minutes or more and then test the air venturie in the intake under the plastic air filter box, it should be hard to push down, if this is the case then the accumulator is holding the fuel pressure and is fine, but if it is easy to push down then the accumulator is fecked. I am sure you will get lots of help from others on this subject.

Alistair McCann
Belfast.

For a wide range of mobile phones,free upgrades,accessories and tariffs plus special deals when you buy online,visit www.o2.co.uk/shop <http://www.o2.co.uk/shop>

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:23:51 -0000
From: "Stuart Nicholls" <things_at_dml_emagineproductions.co.uk>
Subject: UK DMC Ltd stage II engine upgrade

Hi all,

I'm still having issues with Yahoo mail bouncing on my ISP hence why I haven't really posted in a while.

Well I got "Maddie" Vin 5641 back from Martin and Dan and I've been happily driving around in her for the last couple of weeks. Just because work is so hectic at the moment I haven't been able to share with you all the results. Lets put this this way..... I think I need a smile-ecotamy after driving around. The performance is mental. I'm hoping to stick her on a rolling road soon and get some figures but it certainly seems to have a mission to head butt the horizon now!

Thought I'd just stick some video up for anyone thinking of having the same done.

www.emagineproductions.co.uk/delorean

Basically, about 9months ago I had the Stage I, now I have the Stage II along with the medium loudness stainless steel exhaust. I've also had the LED's put in the dash and the performance suspension all round. Thats probably all you can see from the video anyway.

I'm hoping to get some video of the car actually driving so I can get a relatively accurate 0-60 time, and to here what the engine note is like at motorway speed and when putting your foot down.

This thing pulls really nicely to about 4500rpm and then she picks up her skirt and gets a second blast of acceleration..... that'll be the cams then!

I'm chuffed to bits with what the Mart and Dan have achieved with this car. Its really going as well as it looks now.

It's a joy to drive when you just plodding thru town and then get on a nice country road or a stretch of motorway and you can see how fast one of these cars really can be.

I'm off to save up some money to drive thru the Dartford tunnel a few times, just so I can drop a cog, floor it and listen to the engine race.. woooo hooo!!!!

Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie" Stage II
DOC 414

Stuart Nicholls
Emagine Productions
================
NOW WITH POLECAM
================
T: 01920 461265
F: 01920 465376
E: stuart_at_dml_emagineproductions.co.uk
W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk
Television - Studio - PSC - ENG - Production - Post Production

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:20:44 -0000
From: "realrealgone" <realrealgone_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: pleated hood for sale

i picked up a VERY nice pleated hood locally and i have no use for it so before i throw it on ebay id be willing to sell it to someone on the DML. i will get pics within the week but i just wanted to see if anyone was interested.

its a very good stamping of the hood as well, no factory defects at all. very shiney and clean.

email me if interested.

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:26:45 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Could be both, But the TTS switch is easy to check, but the accumulator would need to be replaced.

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:35:50 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Good news for vin 2277 AT LAST!!

A very easy and very effective way to find any leaks is to have a shop with
the right tools do a smoke test on your exhaust system. Not only will this
tell you IF you have a leak, it will pinpoint it for you in a matter of
about 10 minutes from when they pull your car into the bay.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:15:49 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

You *may* have a bad thermo-time switch but you definately have a
problem with your "Rest Pressure". That is the pressure that is held
for a while to restart a warm engine. It is kept up by the accumulator
but it can be lost quickly if you have a bad fuel pump check valve or
a leaky Primary Pressure Regulator. I would go ahead and replace the
accumulator. If you still have the problem then get a new check valve
and replace the "O" rings in the pressure regulator. Be careful not to
change the setting. That should fix your hot-start problem. I would
not think the thermo-time switch is a problem but it is easy to test.
Doing the plug-swap confirmed the problem with the rest pressure.
Generaly if the thermo-time switch is a problem it makes the car hard
to start when cold but I guess it can fail "on" where it would make
the motor over-rich when starting warm-hot. Easy test. On a warm motor
pull the plug to the cold start valve and see if there is any power
when warm-hot and cranking.

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:33:36 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Help! Is this normal?

What color smoke?

Pick one:

1. white
2. black
3. blue
4. gray
4: chartreuse (just kidding)

From the smell you're describing I'm guessing you are going to say black.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:46:59 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Car Show

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Faded N Jaded <fadednjaded_at_dml_...> wrote:

.

>   In the end, I hope you realize that it is she that is important
and not an assemblage of plastic, glass and metal.

>   Faded

Unless you get a flat tire.  An understanding spouse will wait for you
to come back ;)

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:33:09 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: You Tube

[Moderator Note: This message approved because it has a little bit of DeLorean content.  The DML is not the place to discuss and debate various video streaming services.   - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

I have YouTube'd all of my videos on my website.
"youtube" is a cool new video hosting service, it is free and easy to work
with.
This will make it much easier for me to host these large files, and they
play instantly
and look and sound awesome!

If any of you have videos you want to share, you can forward them to me and
I will
host them for you, or you can use youtube yourself to do it.
It would be great if Tamir would revamp his site and do all his videos this
way.
He has an awesome site, but those tiny zipped real media files sorta
suck....
we all know it.
Here is a way for him and others to put up high quality videos for FREE!

Check it out....
http://dfwdmc.com and go to MEDIA

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:17:55 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: Re: HOT or COLD START PROBLEM?

Well, as I've reported before, I have confirmed the existence of a
"warm start problem" that has nothing to do with rest pressure and is
definitely distinct from the classic "hot start" problem. My symptoms
were very similar to Daniel's:  starts fine when cold and when hot,
but if you let it sit for about an hour, it is difficult to start.
Since I have a full-time fuel pressure sensor, it is very easy to
check rest pressure, so I know for sure that this wasn't the problem.
Swapping the plugs does permit an easy start, but this doesn't prove
a rest-pressure problem, just that extra enrichment helps (after all,
there is no rest pressure present on a cold start).

What causes the Warm-Start Syndrome?  I really don't know. Obviously,
there is a temperature window that is too high to trigger the thermo-
time switch but at which this engine still wants extra fuel. I've
tried lots of stuff (all of which has been repeatedly suggested in
this and previous threads on this topic). There has been no magic
bullet, but my impression is that lots of things have contributed to
small, cumulative improvements. At any rate, I have not had to swap
plugs in more than a year, although I still experience difficult
starts from time to time.   One thing that I haven't done yet is to
systematically clean up all the ignition 12v electrical connections
and the resister bypass relay.  My best guess is the the problem is
the cumulative effect of lots of small issues, but who knows?

At any rate, I am quite sure that not every temperature-related
starting problem has to do with rest pressure.

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:38:58 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: pleated hood for sale

Where are you located?  This would help to figure out shipping.
Knowing where you are located may also encourage local pickup.

I know Matt Carpenter (AZ) is looking to purchase one, since he
has a "Parts Wanted" ad for one on the DMC News website.

Matt's contact info is listed in his recent Parts Wanted ad.
(I'm not sure if Matt checks the DML on a regular basis)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "realrealgone" <realrealgone_at_dml_...>

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 01:54:46 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Joe,
I would have to say the smoke is gray. Looks like cigarette smoke. I
adjusted the CO with the 3mm hex wrench and it did improve it. I
turned left to lean about 1/4 of a turn and the smoke lessened from
coming out 4ft from the muffler to about a foot(this make sense?)
perhaps I have to get back in there and turn a little more? Thanks for
the reply!

-Danny
4160

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:29:11 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

realrealgone,

Where are you located?

Bob

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:07:46 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Help! Truck cable broken!

I'm in. Thank God for Toby's electric trunk release.

I'd installed the electric trunk release but hadn't found time to wire
it yet. I don't think I could have ever been able to catch the actual
release mechanism and apply enough pressure to open it via traditional
methods; it appears the mechanism was jammed

I decided I'd try to fish the wires for the electric release out...
had to peel some of the weatherstripping away, but I got them both out
within about half an hour. The motor wasn't strong enough to clear the
jam right away, but I hit it with +14v half a dozen times and it
finally popped.

Let this be a lesson to all - install a secondary/emergency cable
right away! I'd read about this before but my cable looked to be in
good shape and I figured, "It won't happen to me." Before I close my
trunk again I'm installing two cables and wiring up the electric
release so I have three methods to gain entry. This was by far the
least fun I've ever had working on my car and I'm NOT doing it again
if I can help it.

-Ryan

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:14:35 -0800
From: "Tamir Ardon" <tamir_at_dml_entermyworld.com>
Subject: Re: You Tube

I feel the need to reply to this message from VB.  I know he likes my site
overall, but for some reason he is a little obsessed with complaining about
my video clips.  It is a little ridiculous, but everyone has their holdups I
guess.

For those that have been visiting my site for seven years now, the
technology for video encoding has changed drastically, as has the speed of
internet connections, etc.  My site has a massive amount of content, and for
those that haven't visited lately, my brother and I have recently completed
a huge rebuild to the site in terms of redesign/reorganization to take
advantage of the changing technology.

The majority of video encoding we did in the past was done using Real Medial
Player, which was the dominant player several years ago and was universal
for both macs and pcs.  A lot of people forget what it was like to have a
56K modem, so I optimized the clips as much as I could and kept them at a
small size.  They are certainly viewable, and don't suck in my opinion and I
think it is a little presumptuous to assume that everyone feels that way VB.

The new clips I am putting on my site now are mpeg 4 QuickTime clips that
are larger and have better compression schemes.  Their file sizes are larger
than my old clips, but I feel that most people surf with high speed
connections today, so that is ok.  In terms of going back and redoing the
hundreds of clips I have on my site, that is a massive amount of work.
Between work, school, and the time I put into improving the web-site in
other ways and creating new content, it doesn't rank high in my concerns.

I hope this clears things up and I always appreciate any "real" suggestions
to improve my site.  You can feel free to email me off the list, as opinions
are usually better regulated to personal exchanges as opposed to list
serves.

Tamir
http://www.entermyworld.com

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:12:35 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Missing door key, possible to cut new one without copy?

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a door key cut if there is
no original copy? When I bought my car I did not think to ask if it
came with two keys and found out the hard way that my relatively early
vin DOES have a separate door key. The PO lost the key. :( That's what
I get for not doing ALL of my homework...

Nathan

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 05:24:09 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cutting Keys

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_...> wrote:

> If you can't get a good key by duping yours try carefully removing the
> headliner panels on your doors - odds are there is a key code written in
> magic marker there that DMCH (or others? - but definitely DMCH) can use
> to cut you a new perfect key.

I took my key code and my new blank DMC reproduction key to a good
locksmith shop near by. I gave them the key and the code and they said
they never heard of such a code. They asked what was it for, and I
told them a DeLorean. They first looked at me funny, then checked
their database, and told me sorry, can't do it since they didn't have
any reference to the car on file.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D