From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 8:13 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3137

1. American Dad- FOX
From: "continentalthunder" <ahusak_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

2. Re: pleated hood for sale W/ PICS
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

3. Re: Re: Help! Truck cable broken!
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: pleated hood for sale
From: "realrealgone" <realrealgone_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Re: Missing door key, possible to cut new one without copy?
From: "Todd Nelson" <todd1561_at_dml_gmail.com>

6. Re: Help! Truck cable broken!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

7. Extra wire on thermotime switch
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Help! Truck cable broken!
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

9. Re: Re: Missing door key, possible to cut new one without copy?
From: "Robert" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

10. Deloreans in the Azores
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Re: Help! Truck cable broken!
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

12. Delorean reference on American Dad
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>

13. Re: Pittsbugh Spring Tech Session[DCO] - Western PA - RSVP
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. LA tech session
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Re: Missing door key, possible to cut new one without copy?
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

16. Re: LA tech session
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: LA tech session
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: LA tech session
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Cold starting question
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Re: Help! Truck cable broken!
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. Re: Re: Help! Truck cable broken!
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

22. Re: LA tech session
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Delorean Wing Like the one on the Yellow D
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Delorean Wing Like the one on the Yellow D
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Delorean Wing Like the one on the Yellow D
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 02:48:51 -0000
From: "continentalthunder" <ahusak_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: American Dad- FOX

... was amused by the John DeLorean High School reference.

-ah

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:01:29 -0600
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Re: pleated hood for sale W/ PICS

Where are you located?

Jace

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:27:11 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Help! Truck cable broken!

I opened a trunk with a broken cable at the tech session in NJ about 4  years
ago when it was deemed hopeless.

All I used was a piece of thin metal rod ( a bit heavier than a coat  hanger.
Bent it like an L
Slid it under the hood and pulled back until it hit the latch  mechanism
Then pull.

Took a few tries and a few small bends to hit what was needed but it tends
to jam pretty well in the latch mechanism good pull and it opens.

I have opened about 4 or 5 cars this way.  Trick is to have a stiff  enough
rod without being too big.

Hope this helps

Ken

PS Much easier on early cars with gas flap

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:38:46 -0000
From: "realrealgone" <realrealgone_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: pleated hood for sale

due to overwhelming interest i thought itd be better to list it on
ebay with no reserve for 7 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1981-DeLorean-pleated-
Hood_W0QQitemZ7394082177QQcategoryZ12QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewI
tem

per request ive taken as many pics on the hood possible.

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:04:39 -0500
From: "Todd Nelson" <todd1561_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Missing door key, possible to cut new one without copy?

Martin,

I noticed that with my early keys too, they are cut different on either
side.  However, my keys work no matter how you put them in.  I've never been
able to figure it out, any thoughts?

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 05:27:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Help! Truck cable broken!

My thoughts were that any movement of the inner cable might be enough
to unlatch the hood. As long as the inner cable is still connected to
the mechanism and you can get a grip of it you might be able to
unlatch the lock. The outer cable, with enough force, might move but
it is better to try cutting through to the inner cable if you can and
again, if it is still attached. If the inner and outer cable is
jammed, pulling on either may get the lock to unlatch. The inner cable
usually breaks right by the release handle, there is plenty to pull on
with a plier. I have never tried the broomstick and hook method
although it looks like it could work. I have seen the cut-the-latch
method and although not elegant, it does get the job done. Afterwards
the hook can be welded back together. In any case after going through
this (or seeing or hearing about it) most owners will put the
emergency cable in! Good idea to do it on the rear engine cover too
but it is possible to open it even without it.
David teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_...> wrote:

> On 2/26/06, David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_...> wrote:
> > I have seen that work. The other possability is that you may still be
> > able to get a hold of the inner cable. You might have to cut the outer
> > cable back to get a grip on it but it is still easier than chopping up
> > the latch. Get a vise-grip and go hunting under the dash. Maybe try
> > pulling on the outer and inner cable while someone tries lifting the
> > hood.

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 02:27:39 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Extra wire on thermotime switch

I have a "easy button" you might say, located under the dash of my D.   When
it starts hard, all I do is press this little magic button and my car  starts.
Evidently it was installed by a previous owner. It seems to be connected  by
a blue wire to the thermotime switch. If I read the Tech Info Manual
correctly, the thermotime switch activates the cold start valve when the motor
cranks, for a limited time if the engine temp is cold. It is energized by the
starter solenoid. Am I right so far? Anyway, does the fact that this "work  around"
helps mean my starter solenoid isn't sending current to the cold start
valve, or what?  When I start my engine at present, it's always cold enough  at
present to call for this circuit. What do I need to correct so that the  engine
starts normally without pushing the "easy button?" The thermotime switch  is
new, BTW.

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:51:06 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Ryan - I am sorry that you went through all of the hassles that you
did, but I have to say that I laughed out loud as I read about your
plight, because I remembered that you had one of our trunk
actuators.  I really don't use the handle on Winged1 anymore because
the actuator is so much more convenient.  I did want to post a quick
note on all of this to say that the DPNW trunk actuator can be
installed without having a Wings-A-Loft system or other keyless
entry system installed.  You can use a small toggle switch hidden
under the dash to actuate the system.  This could be a great backup
scenario, or you could use the switch as the primary, with the cable
as the backup (not that you'd need it, unless the battery in the car
was dead).  Anyway, congratulations for "getting in" without having
to hack your car to bits.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

wrote:

> I'm in. Thank God for Toby's electric trunk release.  I'd
installed the electric trunk release but hadn't found time to wire
it yet.

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:12:48 -0600
From: "Robert" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

How true.  The locksmith notched the key to indicate top and bottom. Key
only goes in one direction.  Better than what I had at the time. (No door
key)..

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:07:07 -0800 (PST)
From: jordan rubin <nuttenschleuder_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Deloreans in the Azores

Hello,

Im flying to Lajes tonite, I was wondering if there
were any deloreans in the azores.

Jordan

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 06:34:41 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

To prevent this all from happening, when I first purchase my car, I got a
little kit from the PNW Delorean Club which had two flex cables in
it....very small probably aircraft stainless steel....One was for the
"trunk" and fastened to the release trigger and then went thru the firewall
and formed a loop up under the dash, which you pull on at any time to
release the trunk.  I have tried it a few times and it always works.    The
other cable was for the rear engine compartment and sort of did the same
thing.  The loop ended up behind the license plate.    Of course this
thought wont help someone who is locked out!!!
Murray
Vin:  05962
Lic:  DMC-XII

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:12:21 -0500
From: illyana delorean <illyana_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Delorean reference on American Dad

Not sure if anyone else on the lists watches American Dad, but there
was a Delorean reference on this evening's episode. The beginning of
the episode was a flashback to the main character's homecoming dance
(set in the '80s). The high school was called "John Delorean High"
and the doors to the dance opened kind of like a gullwing door.

illyana

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:35:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Pittsbugh Spring Tech Session[DCO] - Western PA - RSVP

Downloadable map available here:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/events.htm
(scroll down to May 13th)

Shannon Y
16506

---------------------
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:20:10 -0800 (PST)
   From: Daniel Plakosh <dplakosh2_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Greetings,

  The Pittsburgh [DCO] Spring Tech Session will be held on Saturday May 13, 2006
starting at 9:00 AM. This is an excellent to opportunity to socialize with other
D owners and get any needed work done on your car before DCS in June.

  We're easy to find just off the route 60 Hopewell exit about 7 min. from the
Pittsburgh Airport. We hope to see all the great people we've met at the previous

tech sessions and hopefully a few new faces too! If your car is not ready to
drive
then just come and visit, we'd love to see you! If you need directions just let
us know.

  We'll start off at 9a.m. (Coffee and pastries to open your eyes :-). Snacks
along with beverages (including beer) during the day. Around 1:00 PM we'll have a

cookout for lunch and a dinner cookout around 5:30 PM.  Please e-mail us off-list

to confirm your attendance, and perhaps any work you'd like some help with, and
let us know if you need directions. Significant others are welcome, and
encouraged.

If you are planning on attending and can bring any John Delorean Memorabilia or
something that JZD owned please let us know as this tech session may featured on
local (KDKA)  TV show depending on the attendance

If anyone would like to provide the graphics/Design for the spring T-shirts
please let us know. The graphic must be hi-res for printing and in single-color
like
the previous t-shirts.

Also, If there was a particular food that you enjoyed at a previous tech session
or an idea for a new dish please let us know and we will try to include it on the

menu this tech session or the upcoming one in August.

Please let us know if you plan to attend as early as possible.

Hope to see you there!

  Best regards,

  Dan and Judy
(Vin 3872)

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:13:13 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: LA tech session

I keep hearing about these tech sessions over on the east coast, what
about over here in LA? Is there ever a tech meeting?

Nathan

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:32:06 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: LA tech session

Nathan,

We have regular tech sessions in Arizona and are starting to have
them a couple of times a year a little closer to you, here in Las
Vegas.  It's not LA, but it's closer than the East Coast!

You might want to check out our web pages for the next event(s)...
www.az-d.org

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_...>

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:37:31 -0800 (PST)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Is that LA (as in California) or LA (as in
Louisania)??  If it is the latter, then you're not too
far away from Little Rock to attend the next J&M tech
session!!  Com'on up...

Mike

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:10:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Nathan,

 I'm from San Diego, Calif. and I'm heading out to the pj grady tech session in AZ in less than two weeks.  As far as a southern california area tech session, I'm all for that.  I would just need to figure out where and when to have it.  Let me know if you are interested and I can work with owners that I know in arranging something. Just this past weekend I got togethyer with another owner to replace the angle drive on my DL and fix a bad ground on his DL.  I hada great time and learned a lot.

-Chris
DMC 6453

valleyrat12 <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote: I keep hearing about these tech sessions over on the east coast, what

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:18:14 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cold starting question

OK-

My car is doing much better but I have a question. Before I
installed the new injectors and plugged the accumulator return line
the car would NOT start without the hot start relay plugged in
thereby forcing the cold start injector to fire. Now that I have
replaced the injectors and plugged the accumulator return line the
car will start up fine cold and have intermittent issue starting
when warm WITHOUT the hot start relay plugged in.(need new
accumulator) I just confirmed that my cold start valve is NOT firing
ever cold or warm. BUT the car fires up immediately when cold
without the aid of the cold start injector.  Is the car just way
rich allowing the injectors to open early?  It runs fine otherwise.

I know these facts:

1) Voltage at cold start valve when cranking: 4.6v (way too low)
2) Voltage with cold start relay installed while cranking: 13.6v
3) Engine starts without aid of cold start valve (why???)
4) Engine floods when cold start valve fires with relay installed

Nathan

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:40:42 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

On 2/26/06, David Teitelbaum <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net> wrote:
> The inner cable usually breaks right by the release handle, there is plenty
> to pull on with a plier.

Ahhhh... I see how the procedure would work, now. I was completely
misinterpreting "inner cable"...

See, mine broke inside the trunk at the latch, not at the release
handle. So I wrongly assumed everyone else's would break there, also,
and that "inner cable" meant the inner sheath. I just could not for
the life of me see how pulling on that would make a difference, but I
gave the procedure the benefit of the doubt and tried anyway. LOL!

Yeah, if the cable broke at the release handle, you could certainly
peel the layers away and open the trunk that way. Easy.

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 14:46:14 -0800
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

On 2/26/06, Toby Peterson <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com> wrote:
> Ryan - I am sorry that you went through all of the hassles that you
> did, but I have to say that I laughed out loud as I read about your
> plight, because I remembered that you had one of our trunk
> actuators.

Yup. See, if I had completed the install and wired it up when I put it
in months ago, I would never have been in this situation. However, I
do thank you for making the lead wires long enough to fish out!
Between their length and the connectors on the end, I was able to drag
them out far enough to get some power to the actuator.

> I did want to post a quick
> note on all of this to say that the DPNW trunk actuator can be
> installed without having a Wings-A-Loft system or other keyless
> entry system installed.  You can use a small toggle switch hidden
> under the dash to actuate the system.

By the way, now that I have it wired up and working - this is a very
nice system and you can't beat the price. I just tap a button and the
trunk pops up and stays unlatched, like any modern car. Very
convenient.

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 00:03:22 -0000
From: "Randal" <azman3us_at_dml_yahoo.com>

You have 2 choices here... Contact the DOA or feel free to come on over
to Phoenix and hang with the AZ-D as last year we had, DMCH, DMC GG,
SpecialT & P.J. Grady at our club events! Our club reaches D owners
from Tuscon, Wisconsin, Minnesota, San Diego, San Fran, Hawaii, Las
Vegas, UK, Germany and beyond! In fact P. J. Grady will be doing a tech
event on 3/11/06.  Feel free to look at our web site (www.az-d.org) or
join the AZ-D yahoo group to be kept in the know as we do not post our
events on the DML!

See You All In Chicago - With some surprizes!
Randal "The 3M Guy" - 5501
www.az-d.org!

Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:11:02 -0000
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Wing Like the one on the Yellow D

On my first D (6530), I had a rear wing installed.  And, yes, it sat
just a tad lower than the wing on Ron Wester's Screaming Yellow
Zonker.  It came from a mid/late 80's Pontiac Firebird.  Fit
beautifully with no mods.

Do keep in mind that a wing adds a bunch of weight to the rear louvers
and you will need either extra strong lifts and/or a "locking" device
so that the louver will not fall on you while working on the engine.
I used a small "u clamp with a wing screw" that clamped to the piston
of the lift and thus held up the louvers.

Dick Ryan

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 01:20:11 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hi,

Why don't you just ask Ron Wester it's his car.  I think his e-mail
gullwingmagazine_at_dml_juno.com

BTW: In the photo you referenced the Spoiler is actually Installed
backwards. If you look at the end tip of the wing. The narrow pointed
corner faces forward. It was designed to face rearward trailing. Ron
knows this but decided to leave it that way anyway. Also If height is
an issue you can always cut the legs down.

Dennis

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 01:32:16 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

I guess I should speak up since this is my car.  That wing was on the
car when I got it but I can tell you it is just a typical universal
style wing that you can find anywhere on the net.  What I changed about
it was the height of the uprights... the ones you see were custom made
per my specs.  Given the side scoops on my car, a standard height wing
almost sat on the scoops so we had to raise it.  At first, I was
sceptical about the height but it grew on me real quick.  Hope this
helps.