From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:28 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3138

1. Binnicle and dash
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: LA tech session
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Cold starting question
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

4. DPNW Fan Upgrade
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

5. Re: LA tech session
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Delorean Wing Like the one on the Yellow D
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

7. Digital Door Lock Modules
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

8. RE: LA tech session
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

9. RE: Brakes gettign dangerous
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: LA tech session
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Binnicle and dash
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Binnicle and dash
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Delorean reference on American Dad
From: "cowboydan64" <dmc12rulz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Binnicle and dash
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Re: Binnicle and dash
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

16. Eurofest Update
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Binnicle and dash
From: "Josh Haldeman" <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

18. Re: LA tech session
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

19. Recent PJ Grady experience
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. My Engine sound files
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Gas and Brake Pedal Covers
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

22. delorean car show
From: "andy" <andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com>

23. This smacks of scam..
From: "nbrommer2k" <nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 06:20:06 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Binnicle and dash

Hey, all.  As many DeLoreans have, mine has cracks in the dash and binnicle.  It is my understanding that the vendors have none of these.  Is that true?  Does anyone have extra that they are selling?  If not, does anyone have any advise on how these cracks can be fixed?  Can upolstry shops fix cracks?  Has anyone ever had their dash and binnicle leather wrapped?  I was also considering that as an option.  Advice?

Corey

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 02:29:30 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: LA tech session

Sorry, was referring to California.

Nathan

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Is that LA (as in California) or LA (as in Louisania)??  If it is the
> latter, then you're not too far away from Little Rock to attend the
> next J&M tech session!!  Com'on up...
>
> Mike

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 02:39:28 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Cold starting question

I would guess that the motor must be set up on the rich side to start well, cold, without the cold start valve. I am guesing again here but I would check out the wiring to the cold start valve. I would pay particular attention to the wiring on the starter (that's where the power comes from for the cold start system) and look inside all the plugs, some of the connectors have a bad habit of slipping back enough to not make contact but they are sre still in there so if you don't look closely you can miss that. It sounds like you need an accumulator too. You really should not have the hot-start relay in there, I would remove it and try to get the cold start system running and figure out why you are not holding rest pressure and fix that. After you get all the systems running right set the mixture on an analyzer.

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:08:28 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: DPNW Fan Upgrade

Hi everyone

I have just finished installation of the fan upgrade offered by Delorean Parts Northwest.

At first I thought the price was too cheap and that the build quality would suffer because
of it but I was very surprised when I saw them in the flesh...

Toby has constructed a custom surround for the fans that mount onto the original bolt
holes on the radiator, he even gives you new bolts and nuts to replace any rusted or worn
originals. The fans themselves stand 3 inches from front to back and are roughly half the
weight of the originals.

I was aprehensive about fitting the fans myself at first but after looking at Toby's
instructions and reading the workshop manual a few times I was able to get the old fans
out in under an hour without to much hastle.

The new fans went in in under 45 minutes including putting everthing back together.

I started the car and let it sit until it had reached the correct temperature for the fans and
right on the button they came on, there was no kick down in idle and the volt meter did
not even register the fans switching on (the old fans would stall my car if it was not
moving when they came on!!)

The heat they draw away from the engine has to be felt to be believed and no sooner
where the fans on than they were off again - the temp gauge drops very quickly and I
could see it dropping faster if the car was on the road.

I would give the thumbs up to anyone who is thinking of getting this product

Here is a link to the fans on the dpnw site...
http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K4001DP&Category_Code=9475

Alistair McCann
VIN:- PILOT 25
Belfast.

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 02:37:34 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I think there should be one in Los Angeles, there must be a couple
hundred cars down here! What would it take to get one organized?
Basically it is a group of owers that all need something done on
their cars and we all help each other out right?

Nathan
2277
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Christopher Mack
<christopher_mack_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Nathan,
>
>  I'm from San Diego, Calif. and I'm heading out to the pj grady
tech session in AZ in less than two weeks.  As far as a southern
california area tech session, I'm all for that.  I would just need
to figure out where and when to have it.  Let me know if you are
interested and I can work with owners that I know in arranging
something. Just this past weekend I got togethyer with another owner
to replace the angle drive on my DL and fix a bad ground on his DL.
I hada great time and learned a lot.

> -Chris
> DMC 6453
[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:08:43 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Wing Like the one on the Yellow D

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_...> wrote:

> BTW: In the photo you referenced the Spoiler is actually Installed
> backwards. If you look at the end tip of the wing. The narrow pointed
> corner faces forward. It was designed to face rearward trailing. Ron
> knows this but decided to leave it that way anyway. Also If height is
> an issue you can always cut the legs down.

Actually, thats not true.  If you look at current aftermarket versions
of this wing, which is commonly called a "touring" wing, you will see
that the leading edge always faces forward.  Even new cars which have
updated versions of this wing have the edge facing forward.  As I
recall, my wing is even marked which way it should face.

Ron

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 06:21:31 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Digital Door Lock Modules

Hello List - With permission of the Moderators, I wanted to briefly
announce that our digital door lock modules are now available in
limited quantities.  The supply will improve as we get arranged for
small-scale production.  We have been field-testing one of these in
Winged1 for many months, and I have been unable to "break it".  These
have zero standby current draw, have internal diagnostics functions to
let you know what is happening with the bell crank switches, etc.
They have the correct 9-pin connector for "true plug and play"
installation, and are driven by a microprocessor mounted on a custom-
made printed circuit board that was specifically designed for this
application.  This unit can drive either the stock solenoids or our
signature door lock actuators, and it is optimized for an easy
interface with any of the Wings-A-Loft systems.  We are very pleased
with how these have turned out.  Search for K2915DP on our website.
Thanks!

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:26:54 -0600
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

I'm in Shreveport - I'd like to hear more of whats happening in Little Rock.
(There doesn't seem to be more than a handful of D owners in Louisiana).
You can mail me off the list:  kpoling_at_dml_bellsouth.net
Thanks -
KermitP

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 06:57:09 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Brakes gettign dangerous

Master cylinder.

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:16:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Nathan,

Yes basically thats what happens at a tech session.... the thing is for all the DeLoreans in the LA area I only know about five owners that's it, as opposed to the ten delorean owners that I know of in San Diego.  I'm very surprised that there is not a lot of obvious activity with the DeLorean owners in the LA area, of course, it could just be that delorean owners like everyone else are very busy.  I'll check with owners here in san diego and see if anyone needs work done ot their car that could be performed at a Tech session

-Chris & 6453

valleyrat12 <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote: I think there should be one in Los Angeles, there must be a couple

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:36:39 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Binnicle and dash

Its been on the list many times and until someone comes out with new ones  we
do recover them.  Both Dash and Binnacle.

For the most part it depends on how bad your core is.

You send it in and it gets recovered.  We were doing vinyl and leather  but
since most people went with the vinyl we decided to pretty much do  vinyl.

We have both black and gray or many of the vendors supply this service as
well

The last raffle car was a refurbished dash and binnacle

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:28:56 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

COREY,

BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS THROW A DASHMAT ON IT AND WAIT FOR DMCH TO COME OUT WITH THEIR REPRODUCTION BINNACLE AND DASH.  THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING :).. IF YOU CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG, YOU CAN HAVE YOUR DASH AND BINACCLE RECOVERED, ALTHOUGH I PREFER THE ALL ORIGINAL GOOD CONDITION DASHES AND BINNACLES.  I KNOW THAT DELOREAN MOTOR CENTER IN CALIFORNIA RECOVERS DASHES AND BINNACLES, NOT SURE ABOUT THE OTHER VENDORS

CHRIS
DMC 6453

coreysmoo <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote: Hey, all.  As many DeLoreans have, mine has cracks in the dash and binnicle.  It is my

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:37:54 -0000
From: "cowboydan64" <dmc12rulz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean reference on American Dad

I try, but missed that one.  On a similar note, I am not sure if
others have already noticed this, but in Daffy Duck's Quackbusters (It
was on HBO...) the beginning of one of the cartoons shows Daffy acting
like a used car salesman trying to get people to buy DeLoreans.  It
wasn't the best reference as it brought up the "reliability" myth
again, but oh well.  Just my 02 cents.

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:13:40 -0000
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Corey - Don Steger at the DeLorean Motor Center will have you binnacle
and dash wrapped in leather for less than "new ones" would cost.  They
look great.

I've had my binnacle (and knee bolsters) done and I personally think
they look even better than stock.  When the dash cracks, I'll have the
same done to it.

Dick Ryan

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:46:58 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: Binnicle and dash

Another option is a place called Just Dashes.  They can do some pretty
amazing things with distressed cores.  They guarantee matching grain and
color.  They are spendy, but you will get an as new part.

www.justdashes.com

-------------- Original message from "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:54:27 EST
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Eurofest Update

I am pleased to inform everyone that registrations for Eurofest 2006 are
coming in from around the world;  USA, Australia, England, Ireland,  Germany,
Holland, Belgium, Wales, Norway, & France so far.   There  will be more cars
attending than ever before.
You can book on-line at _www.eurofest2006.com_ (http://www.eurofest2006.com)
Hope to see you in Belfast in May.
Best wishes,
Robert Lamrock

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:01:53 -0500
From: "Josh Haldeman" <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>

Hi Corey,

I've got a upholstry guy here who does it for $250 per part. ($500 for dash
and binnacle)  The material is the original color and style of vinyl, so it
should hold up to the beating it gets from the sun better than leather.

I have a dashboard here now, but I'm out of binnacles, so I'd need yours in
order to get it recovered.  Turn around time is about two weeks.

Let me know (offlist) if you're interested.  I have pictures available if
you want to see them also.

Thanks,
Josh
Cincinnati Used DeLorean Parts
http://stores.ebay.com/Cincinnati-Used-DeLorean-Parts
(jhaldeman(AT)fuse.net)

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:11:57 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

Hi Nathan,
     I agree.  If there are a couple of hundred DeLoreans in your area
you most certainly should have a tech session!  I'd say start a Los
Angeles area club.  Get a bunch of folks together who like the car,
who like driving on cruises and trips, who like working on the car, or
just like being around DeLoreans, then plan out fun stuff and watch
them turn up from everywhere!
     About 5 years ago the Arizona DeLorean Club came together and
started doing things like this and we've had a blast!  Since that time
we've had distinguished guests such as Rob and Deb Grady, many people
from DMCH including Stephen and his wife, Don and Nancy Steiger and
Dan Botkin, Toby and Misty Peterson, Chris Nicholson, John Hervey, Jim
Reeve, Evil Dan, and many others who have contributed to the fun and
success of our events.  The key is to get people involved.  Share your
passion for the DeLorean, invite key people, and promote the event to
everyone.  You are so close to Don and Nancy that I bet they would
host an event for you guys or come help support you.  They are great
people and you are fortunate to live so close to DMC-GG.
     I'll tell you what: if you plan something in April on a Saturday,
I will promote it to the AZ club (Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas) and
we'll see who we can get to come out and support you.  Sound good?  If
you'd like to see what our events are like, come on out for the
weekend of 3/10-3/12.  Rob Grady will be in town, Phoenix is having
its annual St. Patrick's Day parade, and we also have a British Car
Show, so we'll be plenty busy!

Contact us out here in the desert if you want some hints on how to set
it up.  We've all been there and it only gets better from here....

Good Luck!

Matt Olans
www.az-d.org  The Arizona DeLorean Club

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:10:18 -0000
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Recent PJ Grady experience

All,

Recently I took my vehicle up to Rob in New York for some minor
automatic transmission work and to fix a broken drivers side door
hinge.  With all the kudos I had heard about Rob and knowing that his
shop was backed up with cars for winter repairs, I had expected it to
take several months to get my car back.

How surprised I was then, when he called me a few weeks back with a
status report and told me the car was almost finished!  I'd met Rob
before and really respect the professionalism and attention to detail
he brings to these cars, but even more than that I was very pleased
with Rob's ability to match his repair recommendations within a
budget I had assigned.

So with that said, I made the near-300 mile journey up to Long Island
last week to pick up the car with my girlfriend, who had never seen a
Delorean in her life.  I have to say when I saw my car in action
after he was finished, I was a very happy customer!  The drivers side
door, which never quite fit, was opening and closing seamlessly.  And
on a test run, I got to feel the car's pep for the first time after a
new AT computer governor was installed.

In addition to the critical things I wanted done (door &
transmission) I asked him to install DPNW's Toby Tabs, which if you
haven't done you really should just for the peace of mind it will
bring!  I also had the Eibach shock and spring kit from DMC Houston
installed and I love the way the car's profile is enhanced.  The
lowered look is quite awesome and the handling now is great (a new
rack and pinnion was also installed).

So all in all, it was an excellent experience. Thanks Rob!

Jack Plumley

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:22:01 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: My Engine sound files

Hello all,

I've put up a page at http://steeldmc.tripod.com/   (works best with
internet explorer)

If you could go there and listen to various sound files I have posted
I would appreciate it. I am trying to get feedback regarding if you
think my car has a happy idle. Essentially, I'm looking for those on
the group with a trained ear to the DeLorean to pick out any potential
problems they may hear.  Feel free to contact me on or off the list.
Many thanks.

Dan

Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 01:29:13 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Gas and Brake Pedal Covers

I was looking for a nice silver metal cover for the gas and brake
pedal, something sporty.  Haven't been able to find any online
anywhere that seems like they were the right size.  Anybody know where
to get something like this.  Was also trying to find an automatic
shift knob, kind of a racing grip style, silver and black, but can't
find that either.  Thanks.

Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 02:13:19 -0000
From: "andy" <andyblackmon_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: delorean car show

I waited too long and missed out on the rooms at Pheasant run, and
than I waited too long again and Hampton Inn has filled up. For all
you guys who, like me, may have missed these two boats, there is hope.
I was able to book a room at the Holiday Inn at Elgin, Ill. The room
was $99 a night but I am sure most of us have AAA, or AARP or some
other discount. Just tell them , they do discount for AARP
this I know for a fact. I have no idea how good or bad this is but
hey, it is close to the show and just how bad can a Holiday Inn be? I
would say to any one planning on going to Chicago to book a room asap
I get the feeling they are going to be in short supply.

Andy Blackmon 03513

Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:17:54 -0000
From: "nbrommer2k" <nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: This smacks of scam..

Check out this ebay auction:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-BACK2FUTURE-1981-DELOREAN-DMC-
12-BUY-IT-NOW-7-
000_W0QQitemZ4617736233QQcategoryZ31830QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie
wItem>

Gosh, $7k sure is a bargain, except there is no "buy it now". And it's
odd, he lists it as an auto and photos show a 5-speed. Here's a fun
game...find the inconsistencies in the auction.

If you STILL don't think it's a scam, look at his other auctions.
Unbelievable.

Nick
formerly VIN #3092, now in Austria with Gerhard!