From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 7:04 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3141

1. owner of VIN 908 or 910...
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

2. BTTF DElo's VIN number
From: "Guillaume Morel" <hoplos_at_dml_gmail.com>

3. RE: {Spam?} Upon closer inspection I found...
From: "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>

4. Frame Flex?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re:2006 Cincinnati St. Patrick's Day..
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: BTTF DElo's VIN number
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Frame Flex?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

8. Re: BTTF DElo's VIN number & Production Chronology
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>

9. Re: Frame Flex?
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Frame Flex?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

11. Re: Where are they now?? Ed Bernstein......
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. houston Side Skirts? Any tips on isntalling.
From: "silverdelorean2002" <jon_at_dml_jonbrodi.com>

13. Where are they now? Reply
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:25:09 -0500
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: owner of VIN 908 or 910...

Is the owner or VIN 908 or 910 on the list?  If so, please contact me off list; I have a question for you about the frame.

TIMNAGIN (at) MINDSPRING.COM

Greg

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:43:38 +0100
From: "Guillaume Morel" <hoplos_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: BTTF DElo's VIN number

The question surely has been raised here before (sorry if it was short time ago)... but do we know which VIN has been used for the movie BTTF?
(gray/black? auto/manual? type of hood?) Where is the original car now?

thanks,
Guillaume

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:46:37 -0500
From: "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>
Subject: RE: {Spam?} Upon closer inspection I found...

Nathan,

My boat has to contend with the corrosive effects of salt water. Over the years I've used a product sold at the marina, I think it is called something like 'Mercruiser Corrosion Block'. Works very well, holds corrosion at bay in that harsh environment. I spray it on every piece of metal I can.

When I bought VIN 3579 ~18 months ago, one of the first things I did was to put it up on the ramps, crawl underneath with my heavy duty very sharp and strong dental tool, pry loose epoxy everywhere I could, then spray corrosion block everywhere I could. I repeat this at frequent intervals, at least the spraying part. Very little new loose epoxy. Visually this appears to be working well. I don't consider myself any kind of expert on this subject, have found feedback from some other owners on this approach to not be very positive, but at the same time have the feeling that this may be a reasonably effective approach. It really appears to do an excellent job with banishing the rust. You might do better with this, than spraying the rustoleum.

Other owners - any feedback on this?

Peter Cameron

________________________________

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 06:36:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Frame Flex?

A question for those of you who have done extensive frame work..

I was speaking to a friend with an esprit.  We were talking about the similarities between it and the DeLorean.

He asked if the DeLoreans had the frame flex problem near the shifter.  He explained that on many of the Esprit cars, they develop cracks in the frame around the shifter cut out because the weakness in the area allows the frame to flex.

Lotus introduced a "fix" for this in the mid 90's in the form of a thick plate that bolts around the shifter cut out.  He said it turns out to be a performance enhancement because it significantly stiffens the frame of the car.

Anyone know about this?  Has anyone noticed cracks in the frame around the shifter? Would a similar "fix" be an improvement on the DeLorean?

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:09:13 -0500
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re:2006 Cincinnati St. Patrick's Day..

In regards to Josh's post about the upcoming St. Patrick's Day
parade, we are going to do a lunch event at my house after the
parade.  Our house is located near I-71 and I-75, so getting back on
the highway to get home shouldn't be a problem for any of you.  We
can get you directions as well.
Please RSVP sometime this week to me at PRC1216(at)aol.com if you
wish to attend the meal afterwards, it should be fun, and there is
plenty of parking for every D that attends.   It looks like we are
going to have a large turnout this year, I am guessing 10+
DeLoreans.  You won't want to miss it.  Plus, with the chance of
having Johnny Carson's car in the parade, as well as this year's DCS
raffle car, this is guaranteed to be a special event.

I hope to see you there!
-Patrick C.

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:41:11 -0500
From: "Josh Haldeman" <jhaldeman_at_dml_fuse.net>
Subject: 2006 Cincinnati St. Patrick's Day..

"Hey Gang,

If you missed Patrick's post on this subject...Once again we are
organizing what's become an annual "pulling-ye-olde-car-out-of-
storage-for-the-spring" event.  The Cincinnati St. Patricks Day
Parade is coming up next weekend, March 12th!  All are welcome!  Last
year we had 6 cars, and people came in from as far away as New Jersey
to participate!

We are going to start the day Sunday at my house around 10:30, and
then head downtown from there.  We have Irish themed decorations for
the cars that participate and there is a planned wrap party after we
get done with that "brutal" parade showing off thing.

Additionally, the adjoining annual tradition of the Saturday tech
session will take place on March 11th at Ken Koncelik's warehouse.
He has a fanastic indoor heated facility and all kinds of tools, if
your car needs help prior to parade time.  We will also be working on
cleaning and "tweaking" the DCS Raffle Car if there aren't enough
other projects!

Visit www.ohiodeloreans.com for more information on this and future
events, or contact me offlist if you want to be included. (jhaldeman
(AT)fuse.net)

Thanks,
Josh

PS - If the weather is nice, Cliff has promised to bring Johnny
Carson's DeLorean to the parade!  If the weather sucks on Sunday,
we'll head back to Ken's for another tech day...but we'll have things
going on regardless.  Hope you can make it!

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 07:21:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF DElo's VIN number

Hello,

Check out the production chronology under the DMC FAQ section on the www.dmcnews.com web site.  I remember looking there before ans seeing one or two deloreans used in the BTTF movies

-Chris
Nov 81 5-spd DMC

Guillaume Morel <hoplos_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote: The question surely has been raised here before (sorry if it was short time

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:35:06 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Frame Flex?

I've been around Esprits for quite some time and I've had several of them
from different vintages apart.  I have never heard of this problem or fix
before.

I doubt that bolting a plate around the shifter would have a
"significant" effect on the strength of the frame.  The superstructure for
the shift mechanism itself will add some stiffness in that area and it's
welded in place.

-------------- Original message from Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:02:52 -0500 (EST)
From: Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_rogers.com>
Subject: Re: BTTF DElo's VIN number & Production Chronology

Hey!

  My car isn't in the production chronology! Who do I talk to in order to get it added? :>)

  Parts Pit Mike

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:46:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

  Marc,
     Last weekend I had the both shift boots off 4603 because I was doing work on the shift linkage.  On either side of the shifter I noticed to large support rods running lengthwise in the direction of the frame.  Now that you bring up the possible issue of frame flex, perhaps the support rods were installed in the DeLorean to prevent just that.
       Chris
DMC 6453

Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote: A question for those of you who have done extensive
frame work..

I was speaking to a friend with an esprit.  We were
talking about the similarities between it and the
DeLorean.

He asked if the DeLoreans had the frame flex problem
near the shifter.  He explained that on many of the
Esprit cars, they develop cracks in the frame around
the shifter cut out because the weakness in the area
allows the frame to flex.

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:19:48 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The frame on a Delorean is VERY stiff. Problems start when rust
starts. Especially in the front where it can affect the steering. I
have not seen any epoxy cracking in the center section which would
indicate flexing. Most of the epoxy cracking occurs along the bottom
of the frame and the front and rear extentions probably because the
epoxy gets brittle ater 25 years and the frame flexes in those areas.
The bottom center section loses it's epoxy because it is lowest to the
ground, not so much from flexing. If you were to change motors or
otherwise modify the car you might have flexing problems from the
added weight, torque, and horsepower. In such a case you would have to
add strength to the frame. One measure of how stiff the frame is, you
can lift the car up and hold it in the air with THREE jackstands! The
frame doesn't twist. Try that with an American car! The stiffness of
the frame is one of the reasons the car holds the road so well and
feels so tight, at least if everything is set up correctly.

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:53:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Where are they now?? Ed Bernstein......

I know they have been active since 2000. The last time I received a personal
email from the Bernsteins was Tuesday January 20, 2004.

He has made it perfectly clear that he wants only loyal customers. If you have
not been purchasing ALL your parts from him in the past he does not want your
business. Case in point: search the archives for "John Curry" and read his story.
Readers Digest version... When he called DeLorean One to purchase a part he was
told so very eloquently that his business is not wanted. Reason being,  John had
posted a message to publicly thank Dave Bauerle ( DeLorean Mechanic
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/Bauerle.htm ) for helping him out in a time of need.

John's Thankful Messages:
http://www.projectvixen.com/dmcnews-archive/msg28467.html
http://www.projectvixen.com/dmcnews-archive/msg31089.html

John's Rejected Message:
http://www.projectvixen.com/dmcnews-archive/msg03937.html

Shannon Y
16506

---------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:40:46 -0000
   From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Where are they now?? Ed Bernstein......

Hi everyone

I was reading the DW magazines that I got with the DOA membership deal last year
and
noticed that Ed Bernstein who seemed to be in every issue of the magazine right
up until the
year 2000 has been very very quite in the last couple of years.

What the hell has happened to him???  Does he still own a Delorean???

Any help would be great as he seemed to be a nice guy from all the articles in
the magazines.

Alistair McCann
VIN:- PILOT 35
Belfast.

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:29:10 -0000
From: "silverdelorean2002" <jon_at_dml_jonbrodi.com>
Subject: houston Side Skirts? Any tips on isntalling.

Hey guys i just got the DMC houston Side Skirt set. I bought the full
set. I Painted primed drilled and installed the back. was pretty easy.
Took about a night to do. Now i am doing the side skirts. How did you
guys install them. Most notibly where did you screw the back of it too
(the part that extends to the center of teh undercarriage.). Do you
have to drill new holes.

Thanks
Jon

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:07:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Where are they now? Reply

Mr. Bernstein appears to have reserved his services for DeLorean One to loyal customers who use his facility only.  Long ago he stopped taking calls from people trying to get prices on parts and "shopping around" and then buy from another vendor.   His business model does not really include taking the time to deal with price hunters as it is very time consuming.

  If you really want to know why Ed doesn't appear much in non-DOA forums, why not give him a call and ask.....I'm sure he would tell you.

  Hey Ed....see you in Chicago???  I think enough time and water has gone under the bridge.  You have alot to offer the entire community with your stories of the early years of the marquee.  Think about it.

  Tom Watkins