From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:35 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3142

1. Re: Frame Flex?
From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>

2. Re: Frame Flex?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: houston Side Skirts? Any tips on isntalling.
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

4. Bad Business
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Small Coolant Leak
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>

6. RE: Ball joints
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. Hi...From a new member Downunder. (New Zealand)
From: "Dave Smith" <xajaffa_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Re: Where are they now?? Ed Bernstein......
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Michigan Spring Meet II
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

10. Re: Re: advice on stubborn bolt
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

11. Inexpensive (hopefully) Seat Covers anyone?
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Hood emblem slightly damaged
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Small Coolant Leak
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

14. RE: Small Coolant Leak
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Re: DeLorean VIN List & Production Chronology
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

16. A quite DeLorean Weekend
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Small Coolant Leak
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

18. What is the value?
From: "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Bad Business
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:48:17 +0000
From: Daniel Shane <daniel.shane_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Frame Flex?

Im with mike on this.  I've been around Lotus' for years, I've owned and worked on Esprits for years and I've never heard of this either.

Dan

DMC Ltd

On 3/3/06 15:35, "mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net"
<mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I've been around Esprits for quite some time and I've had several of
> them from different vintages apart.  I have never heard of this
> problem or fix before.
>
> I doubt that bolting a plate around the shifter would have a
> "significant" effect on the strength of the frame.  The superstructure
> for the shift mechanism itself will add some stiffness in that area
> and it's welded in place.
>
> --
> Mike

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 12:12:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

That would be interesting if Lotus did a better job on the DMC frame than the Esprit frame.

Today, I saw a photo of the small cracks in at the corners of the shift cutout on the Esprit frame.  So, it is a real problem on those cars....  Hopefully not a problem on ours.

--- Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:29:01 EST
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: houston Side Skirts? Any tips on isntalling.

Jon.. I do not recall seeing any photos of the kit installed.  I'd  like to
see the kit installed on a Delorean.  Any chance you could post a  photo when
you are done?

Roy
0893

In a message dated 3/3/2006 2:42:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jon_at_dml_jonbrodi.com writes:

Hey guys  i just got the DMC houston Side Skirt set. I bought the full
set. I  Painted primed drilled and installed the back. was pretty easy.
Took about  a night to do. Now i am doing the side skirts. How did you
guys install  them. Most notibly where did you screw the back of it too
(the part that  extends to the center of teh undercarriage.). Do you
have to drill new  holes.

Thanks
Jon

Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 23:33:52 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Bad Business

On this subject,

After careful thought I decided that I should point out my
experience with "Delorean One". I hope none of you think less of me
for sharing this but I feel that future Delorean owners need to know
about this experience.

While doing researching before I purchased my car I called Delorean
One to inquire about the cost of a tune up. I was immediately
bombarded with insulting comments concerning my judgment on my
future purchase. He flat out refused to even look at my car because
there is NO record of it in his "system".  This galvanized my desire
to work on the car myself.

For the record, owning VIN 2277 has not been totally smooth but so
far nothing serious is wrong with my car. It is not perfect but it
does not need the $10,000 dollars of work that I was told it would
need by D1 and I am confidant that if I was pressed to sell 2277  I
could fetch at least what I paid for it if not more. So far I have
spent $800.00 in parts and have plans for about $2500 more over the
next couple years or so, rest assured none of them will be coming
from Chatsworth CA. Even if I do need a good set of hands to perform
work on my D there are some VERY nice people in Garden Grove who
will treat me with respect and kindness.

Why would someone actively engage in insulting potential business?
Does he intend to stay in business? I am a business owner and a
musician and if I treated any of my customers or patrons in this
condescending way I would have been out on my _at_dml_ss a long time ago.
Enough said, and thank you to all the kind people on this web forum
who have helped my through the problems on my car, you know who you
are!

Nathan
2277

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_...> wrote:

> Mr. Bernstein appears to have reserved his services for DeLorean
One to loyal customers who use his facility only.  Long ago he
stopped taking calls from people trying to get prices on parts
and "shopping around" and then buy from another vendor.   His
business model does not really include taking the time to deal with
price hunters as it is very time consuming.

>   If you really want to know why Ed doesn't appear much in non-DOA
forums, why not give him a call and ask.....I'm sure he would tell
you.

>   Hey Ed....see you in Chicago???  I think enough time and water
has gone under the bridge.  You have alot to offer the entire
community with your stories of the early years of the marquee.
Think about it.

Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 03:44:36 -0000
From: "Alistair McCann" <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk>
Subject: Small Coolant Leak

Hi all

I have noticed that when it falls below freezing or very near to it my car drips a very small
amount of coolant.  I thought that I had a cracked pipe but I ran the car today for nearly an
hour and then let it sit and there where no leaks at all.

Now I have just come home from work and there is a small puddle of coolant under the
engine.  Am I right in thinking that the cold weather is shrinking the piping and causing them
to leak slightly???  When the weather is above freezing there are never any leaks.

Any ideas??

Alistair
VIN:- PILOT 25
Belfast.

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:27:51 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Ball joints

Ed,
Most anything can give out, but it's not a problem without plenty of notice
first. The steering and front end would just be just very loose and unless
you just ignore it, you would normally take it to a front end place to check
out.

Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 04:42:40 -0000
From: "Dave Smith" <xajaffa_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Hi...From a new member Downunder. (New Zealand)

My name is David but prefer to be called by my nick name Jaffa.

I'm not an owner of a DeLorean but I have a daughter with a middle
name of Delorianne.

I'm in the look out for a car so if you know of any coming up for
sale let me know. Having said that I'll be around 6-8 months away
from being able to do a deal due to the fact i'm in the process of
selling one of my sections.

I'll read on through the many posts.

I'm also the owner of the yahoo group "Austrailian Ford Falcon Club"
(AFFC). We have 190 members through out the world and we concentrate
on the XA XB XC Falcon coupes. (1972-1977) The XB Falcon coupe was
made more famous by the movie Mad Max.

I have An XA falcon coupe plus about 10 other falcons as well.

Talk to you all soon.

Jaffa.

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 06:16:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Where are they now?? Ed Bernstein......

--- Alistair McCann <pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk> wrote:

> I just want to know why a guy who seemed to be at
> every event in the 80's and 90's has
> seemd to have vanished into thin air.

It's most likely the power of wishful thinking...in
numbers.

Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 07:21:50 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Michigan Spring Meet II

Fellow DMCers,

Lawrence here, As you may know by now I'm trying to find out what will
be the better date for our 2nd Spring meet here in Michigan, The date
giving was May 27th which ends up being Memorial weekend. (May 27-
29th ) I Have May 20th,27th & June 3rd open Please let me know which
date would be more convenient for you, I Have nothing going on any of
these dates. We Can work on our projects ( I now have a hoist in my
gararge), take a cruise around Hines Drive Metro park, & end up at the
Irish Pub at the end of my street doesn't have to be in that order,
I'll post the results when I get them.

Lawrence 00538m

5637 Roosevelt Blvd.

Dearborn Heights, Mi.48125

313-506-3786 Cell

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 16:40:53 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: advice on stubborn bolt

In a message dated 3/1/2006 9:15:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

I would  also recommend using a cobalt bit.>>
And "Mark V" recommended a left-hand drill bit. Makes one wonder if there's
such a thing as a left-hand cobalt bit, and where you could buy them. I
wondered, and I found them: at McMaster-Carr. (no 800 number: 732-329-3200)  A 1/8"
bit is nearly 5 bucks, but if I need one, I'll know where to look.

Wayne A. Ernst
vin 11174
Bridgeton, NJ

Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 22:42:41 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Inexpensive (hopefully) Seat Covers anyone?

Hi all, I know I "axed" this question before, but does anyone know of
some decent aftermarket seat covers that would fit a DeLorean? My
passenger seat is okay mostly, but the driver's side is starting to
become seriously shredded around the left shoulder area and bottom
seat. Most sites I have shopped around on seem to offer your standard
"bucket" seat  universal cover, as well as stores in or around my
area. But will they actually fit on the seat? I know that the pivot
lever on the side may be  a bit of a problem. I would honestly love
the grey/black two-tone covers DMC offers, but they're so expensive;
albeit valuable. Does anyone have any suggestions or links? Also, if
so, what cover would you use instead? (i.e.: Neoprene, real leather,
faux leather, burlap made from a potato sack fashioned in
Ireland...j/k about that last one.) Thanks for your thoughts, all.

-John #10715 Romeo, MI

"Never ask what hot dogs are made of."

Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 22:56:33 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Hood emblem slightly damaged

Hey all,
Whilst scraping the wretched MI ice off my car, I managed to slip and
kind of pop part of my hood emblem (pt#108725) off my car's luggage
compartment. It's still 70% on there, but the driver's end is slightly
bent up and raised. I was wondering, what glue or adhesive should I
use to stick it back on there, once everything dries up? Will Loctite
work? Thanks all!
-John #10715
Romeo, MI
"...I hate ice." -me, 3/3/2006, after a profuse volley of colorful
epithets and expletives. :) smiley face

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 17:10:04 -0600
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: Re: Small Coolant Leak

Happens to me every year.  Shoudn't be a problem for you.

Jace

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 17:11:02 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Alistair, Are the hoses rubber or silicone.

Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 23:21:23 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean VIN List & Production Chronology

Mike and others,

Talk to the hand - your computer mouse hand, and click on this...

http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

As we approach Spring and early Summer, it's time again to remind
newcomer DeLorean owners on the DML to add your car information to
the Production Chronology.  The list(s) have been updated annually
at this time, over the past few years, so take a few moments and
click on the above link at the DMC News website and enter in your
DeLorean information to be added to the current lists.

Annual updated lists are usually ready before the major Spring or
Summer event(s) and we have 2 this year, EuroFest 2006 and DCS 2006.

Cut-off for the annual update is usually May 1, but there is always
a post to the DML before the cut-off date.  Don't wait, update.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit_at_dml_...>

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 19:54:29 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: A quite DeLorean Weekend

Well in the past week I have been real busy with DeLoreans.
The raffle car is now back on the road and we returned one car we were
working on with a frame rebuild and all new front end (componets) air etc.
So now for a relaxing weekend.
So far we dropped in one engine in a car and will do a total engine rebuild
tomorrow.
We will probably do an article for the magazine on this one as well.

The plan is to have the entire engine rebuilt and back on there road for  the
St Patricks day parade next week.

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 20:11:51 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Sounds about right to me.  What I would do is get a hold of a cooling  system
pressure tester, pressurize the system to 15 lbs (no higher!!) and listen
for hissing or bubbling, you should be able to find the leak.

Andy

In a message dated 3/4/2006 4:08:23 P.M. Central Standard Time,
pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk writes:

Hi  all

I have noticed that when it falls below freezing or very near to it  my car
drips a very small
amount of coolant.  I thought that I had a  cracked pipe but I ran the car
today for nearly an
hour and then let it  sit and there where no leaks at all.

Now I have just come home from  work and there is a small puddle of coolant
under the
engine.  Am I  right in thinking that the cold weather is shrinking the
piping and causing  them
to leak slightly???  When the weather is above freezing there  are never any
leaks.

Any ideas??

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 01:14:40 -0000
From: "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: What is the value?

I'm thinking of selling my 1982 DeLorean VIN 4546 with a Single Turbo
(BAE) <10K miles, gray interior, Alpine NAV System (CA disk)with
AM/FM, Alpine 6 Disk CD Changer, Alpine Alarm (with pager, perimeter
sensor etc)lots of stainless upgrades in engine, dual exhaust, etc.
How much is it worth? I believe I'm the second owner. Only a few of
this BAE Turbo Charged cars are around. Please advise.

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:20:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Bad Business

OK......I did buy some things from D1 soon after I bought my second car. Then I ordered some screws and other misc. things and received the wrong things and they were incredibly overpriced. When I called Ed I got the same rude reply that most others report. I then posted my experience on the DML, way back before this incarnation. I've not had anything to do with them since. Ed shouldn't exist and the fact that he has dropped off the face of the earth is a plus for all of us.