From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 5:47 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3143

1. Re: What is the value?
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

2. Update on "rear clunking"
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. RE: Small Coolant Leak
From: pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk

4. Re: Small Coolant Leak
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

5. Where are they now - reprise
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. 2006 Northeast Exotic Car Show Saturday Aug.26
From: "corkeroni" <jefftorrey_at_dml_Comcast.net>

7. SAturday Tech Session at the Warehouse
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: Chicago St. Pat's Day Parade, March 11, 2006
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

9. RE: Small Coolant Leak
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

10. Re: Where are they now - reprise
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Re: What is the value?
From: Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: SAturday Tech Session at the Warehouse
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

13. Performance Report
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Stickers on engine cover
From: "dmc01081" <rgoodwin2001_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Update on "rear clunking"
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

16. RE: A quite DeLorean Weekend
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>

17. Re: Bad Business
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

18. FW: Yunick DeLorean as Part of this Display
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net

19. Re: Bad Business
From: "Kerry and Linda Erendson" <erend_at_dml_adelphia.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 06:19:37 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>
Subject: Re: What is the value?

Whatever it's worth, it's gotta be better than this sad brother of yours, vin 4543 last seen in Tucson, AZ and reportedly haulded off to Southern CA.

http://johnspangler.com/whitedelorean/

Sort of gave me a jump when I saw your VIN.  I almost bought this sad car last June.  Good luck selling yours!

-John
AZ-D.org

Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 22:22:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Update on "rear clunking"

A couple weeks ago, I posted a message about getting a click/clunk sound when accelerating from a stop of when shifting the transmission from park to drive.
Dave Swingle and David Teitelbaum hit it dead on - loose transmission mount bolts.  They've been re-tightened accordingly, and now now one clunk.
Thanks guys!!

Jeremiah

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 10:59:44 +0000
From: pilot25dmc_at_dml_o2.co.uk
Subject: RE: Small Coolant Leak

They are all rubber John, I have looked at the kit you do and you might have
an order in soon.

Alistair.

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:14:40 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

You are probably correct. The aluminum "shrinks" more than the hose
and steel clamp. You can tighten the hose clamps with the engine cold
and that will probably stop a good bit of it. You didn't say how old
the hoses are but as they age the expansion-flex at the clamps
diminishes so, some leaks occur. Silicone hoses help stop this too as
the expansion at the clamp doesn't diminish as much over time. Don't
over tighten as you can damage the hose that way too. There is a
special expanding hose clamp that is very effective as it keeps the
clamp pressure constant at all temperatures much like the expansion
ring clamps you see on many cars.

I use silicone based grease on the hoses or a hi-temp (red) gasket
silicone inside the hoses at the connection before assembly. The red
stuff is messy but it stops the leaks, hot or cold, and stops any
corrosion or leaks caused by the pits from the corrosion that you
often see on connections that have age on them. I would not use
anything but a silicone hose under the intake manifold as the big one
on the water pump ages it will definitely leak and you can't get to it
easily. That hose leak has been responsible for many a premature water
pump replacement because of where the coolant runs down when it begins
to leak - often it appears like the pump is leaking.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 05:21:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Where are they now - reprise

Please understand I'm not defending D1's business practice.   There is no question that people have been treated very badly and unprofessionally.   Just understand.. Ed doesn't care.   If he has gotten this bad there must be some reason why,  perhaps it's because he must now buy parts from his former business partner who has a thriving successful operation and opening more service facilities.   D1, for all of us is a distant memory and not a player in the minds of the majority of the community because of Ed's switch to a more "isolationist" business model.

  With DMCH holding the entire stock of factory inventory AND now reproducing parts D1 is no longer "The World's Largest" supplier of DMC parts (as it still says on their website from 1997.    Does D1 even buy from DMCH?  Think about that?  Does D1's pride allow them buy from a former business partner, who not only is doing better BUT goes out and hires as his V.P. a guy who the DOA and D1 tried to bury with threats of lawsuits when he started this very forum (the DML)   Yeah Ed is pissed off at this whole group, anyone who posts here and yup....he logs your vin number and if you call and you are on his "list" you will get the cold shoulder.  If he is not buying from DMCH then he really needs to hoard what parts he can aquire for his loyal customers who are willing to pay a premium for serivce by his facility.

  D1 is grossly overpriced as we all know....so what?  If D1 has a client base willing to pay for it, why the hell not?   It's more like a snooty Beverly Hill blue-jean store....if you are some regular guy or gal going in to browse you may get the snooty salesperson who figures you can't afford it anyway.  Jeans for $300?   yup....but so what?  Some rich B.H. housewife will buy 5 of them at $300 a pop.  So on your way, bottom dweller....I can't waste my time with your pawing through my jeans and asking questions when I have Mrs. Moneybags willing to drop her credit card with no questions.

  I try to look beyond the stories of rude phone calls and unprofessional demeanor and try to figure out the "why's".   I'm sure there are those of you who really don't care "why" after being treated poorly and I understand that.   It's just not that black and white.   There is alot of history behind all of this.   Sure I could hate certain DOA board members for what they did to me back in the late 80's (write me if you want to know) but I choose to move on.

  They tried to squash the DML and failed, they tried to make their events the premier events in the Delorean community and failed, they tried to have the best magazine and failed (but getting better).   So when does the healing begin?  When does the acromony end and these disfunctional parties come to terms and move forward?  It will be when the old school members of the DOA either retire and are no longer involved or when they all die off.  Not nice to say but probably true.   As long as Ed is alive there will never be a meeting of the minds between our communites....and that's too bad.

  Tom Watkins

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:34:53 -0000
From: "corkeroni" <jefftorrey_at_dml_Comcast.net>
Subject: 2006 Northeast Exotic Car Show Saturday Aug.26

This years Northeast Exotic Car Show is on Saturday August 26th _at_dml_ the
Anheuser-Bush Brewery in Merrimack, NH

All proceeds to Benefit the NH Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Link: http://www.northeastexotic.com/

Last year there were 2 Delorean's that attended the show. We were very
excited and happy to include the cars in the show. A DMC Member drove
up from New Jersey to New Hampshire and took the best in Class
Trophy...Missing the best of Show Award by 1 vote. Just goes to show
how much people do enjoy seeing a DeLorean. Thank you for your support
in past years, and I look forward to seeing you again this year.

-Jeff Torrey / Director Northeast Exotic Car Show

President New England Viper Club
Member New England Lotus Lovers
Member TVR CCA

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 10:29:07 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: SAturday Tech Session at the Warehouse

I have been asked if there is anything to do this year at the tech  session
Its NEXT SATURDAY

When has anyone been with me and not had something to do LOL

Ok here is the basic line up of stuff to do

1. Clean up raffle car
    a. replace or lubricate blower
    b. Replace or repair antenna
    c. Clean up inside of car
    d. Put in trim piece in binnacle
    e. Finsih putting the passenger door back together
    f. Bolt on bottom plate under gas tank (was removed for  powder coating)

2. Replace Jeremy's Radiator

3. Help finish off Richards car for the parade. ( We should have the engine
in today so it will just need to be finished off I should have all of the
major  components on by Friday.

4. Dink around with 2008 raffle car.  This car is in pieces on the  floor but
we did get the engine in last night.

5.Work on display cases for DCS 2006

6. If I get some more 16 x 20 (Plea here for some photos or drawings) for
the museum we can put them in frames.

7. Finish off Josh's car. (the one he started last year and wanted ready  for
last St Patricks Day Parade. (sorry Josh could not resist)

8.  I need to tune up a F150 plugs and wires.

9. I am sure there is other stuff.

So if you want to learn and participate please come

This year I will supply some food and beverages.
If its nice I will try to get a grill and we can have hot dogs and
hamburgers.  Or maybe some Chicken and steak if I get a lot of help  LOL

The warehouse is on Chester Rd.  South of Gleandale Milford Rd By St  Ritas
school for the deaf.

The exit is two exists south of the 275 - I 75 intersection in  Cincinnati.

The parade is The next day Sunday and if you are coming in from out of town
I can put up one or two of you.

Dave Can you make it???

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 17:27:17 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Chicago St. Pat's Day Parade, March 11, 2006

Attention all DeLorean owners,

Want to see your D on TV? A little luck of the Irish
(and maybe a little help from our DMC Club officers)
will help announce the DeLorean 25th Anniversary on
TV to the public around 1pm in Chicago on March 11.

The DeLorean Midwest Connection Car Club has a very
low staging number in this year's North Side parade
which means there will be several opportunities for
people to see our cars (and banners) on TV this year.

In celebration of the DeLorean 25th Anniversary, our
club will pick up the entire cost of the parade fees
this year, so please make an extra effort to come out
to the parade with your DeLorean and help celebrate.

The club has an excellent, low staging number insuring
we will make it on both Ch. 9's two hour coverage and
Ch.7's hour and a half coverage of the parade. There
are a few more rules this year than in years past, but
most only impact the use of non-street vehicles like
D Rex and use of loud sirens and horns, while staging.

Since we have a very low staging number, we ask that
you try to get there between 8am and 9am, per the event
instructions. The long range weather outlook is for low
to mid 50 degree temps and partly cloudy conditions.

Since we hope to have a great turn out this year, please
RSVP to me to let me know you are planning to attend, so
we can organize the staging area based upon the number of
DeLoreans expected, since we are closer to the front.

Upon receipt of your RSVP, I will forward all the parade
info, including the staging number, via a reply email.

RSVP to: Rich[at]dmcnews[dot]com  (anti-SPAM-bot format)

If you would like to join the DeLorean Midwest Connection
club, see our updated website at: www.deloreanmidwest.org

I hope to see many of you and your D's next Saturday.

DeLorean Midwest Connection Car Club
Car Show and Car Events Coordinator

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:24:50 -0500
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Alistair,

When the temperature approaches freezing it is advisable to grab the
appropriate tools and give all the hose clamps a turn or two as required.
This can take some time as there are about 48 of them not counting the four
that reside under the intake manifold. Harold is dead-on in advising using
silicone hoses for the block pipe to water pump backing plate as you don't
want to do that job twice in one year. A leak there has been known to cause
the PVR engine block to fail over time. We've been using silicone hose there
on all water pump replacements for well over twenty years and have never had
to go back and re-tighten a silicone hose clamp. If you don't want to follow
a yearly clamp tightening ritual then silicone hose with the correct clamps
(no open slots for the worm gear) is the only way to go. Although expensive
initially silicone hose will generally outlast the rest of your car!

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:52:44 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Where are they now - reprise

The problem for Ed is that while his patronage gradually sells their
cars or the cars simply wear out he is not recruiting new business
for the future. The first Delorean I looked at before 2277 was an 83
with 230,000 miles on it serviced by Ed its entire life, this car
will not last forever and the owner was selling it so that equals
less business for D1. His business model is not sustainable, there
are not as many loaded people driving Deloreans as there are buying
jeans. He will eventually go bankrupt or retire, which I guess might
be his plan anyway. Simple economics.

Nathan
2277

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:38:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Tito Lugtu <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: What is the value?

Thank you, John. I hope my car doesn't go to that kind of state.

John Spangler <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net> wrote:  Whatever it's worth, it's gotta be better than this sad brother of
yours, vin 4543 last seen in Tucson, AZ and reportedly haulded off to
Southern CA.

http://johnspangler.com/whitedelorean/

Sort of gave me a jump when I saw your VIN. I almost bought this sad
car last June. Good luck selling yours!

-John
AZ-D.org

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:27:55 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: SAturday Tech Session at the Warehouse

'fraid not. I've been gone the past two weekends and will be at Marty's
the following weekend. And I have two transmissions to rebuild next
weekend.

Dave (Stuck for the night in a hotel in Duncan SC - darn Chicago
weather)  John Poland - what are you doing tonight?

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:04:54 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Performance Report

I am very pleased.

The wife and I went for a drive today, from Malibu to Kanan Rd back
to the 101. (lots of hills and turns) :0)

Performance was very good, I could accelerate up the steep hills in
third gear (and even fourth) and had acceleration to spare. Felt
best around 4000 RMP. This is a huge improvement over the drive from
Colorado to California last November. I was tailing (not too
closely) a Camero and I kept up just fine, and he tried to loose me!
I replaced the fuel injectors and did a tune up to get it to this
point.

I think I may have a vacuum leak though because when I hook my Dwell
meter up I get a pulsating reading between 60% and 70%, 30-35 on the
8 cyl scale. I can not get it down to 45% average, I turn clockwise
pretty far and the FV gives up but still doesn't make it to 45%. I
leaned it away from where the FV would stop buzzing and the idle
sounds OK so I left it. Problem with my dwell meter?

Nathan

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:56:48 -0000
From: "dmc01081" <rgoodwin2001_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Stickers on engine cover

I recently have been cleaning up the engine compartment; as such am
looking to replace the stickers in the engine bay and on the engine
cover.  Does any have a picture of the correct placement of these?

Rg

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 23:59:43 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Update on "rear clunking"

It is always great to hear that I guessed correctly! It is even better
to hear that another owner has been able to fix a problem that he
needed help with. I don't expect to nail it every time, I only hope to
help point people in the right direction. In the end it is up to the
owner (or his mechanic) to find and fix the problem. The most we do
when offering advice is to give another point of view, sometimes we
all get lucky.

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 16:23:00 -0500
From: "rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net" <rdcejc_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: A quite DeLorean Weekend

Ken,
Where are you lacated?  I'm in the Orlando, Florida area and there no one
here for repairs and help.  The closest D service facility is 3 1/2 hours
away.  It would be nice to have someone who brain I could pick....
Ed

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:58:34 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Bad Business

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
I think we have established yet again that DeLorean
One can be less than accomodating at times.  Let's
move on...

Mike G  Moderator of the week
*****

Here is my experience for all you new owners that may be looking for
the right vendor.  I'd sell my car before I had to buy from Delorean
One.  When I first had the car, I'd call for a part, and had
to "explain" what happened to "his" part, "why" did it break, in a
tone that I must have not taken care of it correctly.  And of course
since I couldn't explain what happened to it, I had just bought the
car, the tone back to me was that I must be making it all up.  Then
I'd be asked, in a condescending tone, "WHO are you GOING to TAKE it
to, THEY don't know what they're DOING".  Of course Delorean One
knew nothing of the mechanic, but I was supposed to ship the car
2,000 miles to get something minor fixed, yeah right.  I bought a
couple things from them early on, ONLY because they were in
California and 3 hours behind and I needed to get something sent out
overnight mail.  But that was in the beginning, I'd never even
considering dealing with them for any reason.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_...> wrote:

> OK......I did buy some things from D1 soon after I bought my
second car. Then I ordered some screws and other misc. things and
received the wrong things and they were incredibly overpriced. When
I called Ed I got the same rude reply that most others report. I
then posted my experience on the DML, way back before this
incarnation. I've not had anything to do with them since. Ed
shouldn't exist and the fact that he has dropped off the face of the
earth is a plus for all of us.

>   Chris
>   06301
>
> valleyrat12 <valleyrat12_at_dml_...> wrote:
>   On this subject,
>
> After careful thought I decided that I should point out my
> experience with "Delorean One". I hope none of you think less of
me
> for sharing this but I feel that future Delorean owners need to
know
> about this experience.
>
> While doing researching before I purchased my car I called
Delorean

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:57:19 +0000
From: dmc82_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: FW: Yunick DeLorean as Part of this Display

Attached below is a link provided to me from a fellow DeLorean owner (Ray Shaffer) on the display of the Smokey Yunick DeLorean at the Amlelia Concours ( Fernandina Beach, FL). And yes the car does exist.
It is definately a part of DeLorean history as Smokey was given this car by John D. , for his adiabatic engine project, as they were close friends. The car is in a private collection and this is the first public viewing probably ever of the car.
I would suggest if you are a DeLorean fan you should try to take in the event. The show is generally recognized as the second best in the nation next to Pebble Beach.
Hope to see you there. Feel free to contact me if you need any  additional information.

Cecil Longwisch
#10663

Here is the press release link for the announcement of the special display to be held at this year's Amelia Island Concours. http://www.ameliaconcours.org/news/NR-AlternateFuelsAlternatePowerVehicles2006Show.pdf

It is going to be great to see a Delorean as part of a major show like Amelia!

Ray

Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 21:11:46 -0000
From: "Kerry and Linda Erendson" <erend_at_dml_adelphia.net>

Sigh....I too was a victim of his rudeness.

I had purchased "Stainles Steel Illusion" from him in 1988. He was a
bit gruff with me on the phone and insisted I pay COD. (why he just
wouldn't take my CC# by phone, I'll never know!) I just chalked that
experience up to him possibly having a bad day.

Some time later, My husband and I wanted to take our DeLorean to a
car show. We decided to detail her the weekend prior to the show.
While washing her, we noticed the decorative black cap (hides a
access hole for a bolt) missing from the passanger side under the
door. I decided to suprise my husband and order it five in stock how
many did I want? I told him one. He tried REALLY hard to push me to
buy two, you know "just in case". I declined and said one would be
great for now. Next I was told he could never get it to me in time.
I suggested overnighting it, then I was asked how long it had been
missing. When I said we really didn't know exactly he went off on
me. I got such an earful of nasty from him. He basically said we
didn't deserve to own the car. At this point I was the one wanting
to go off, but I really wanted that damn cap! I simply said, we are
very careful with our car, and the piece couldn't have been missing
for more than a few weeks. This jerk then tells me, they don't have
the part in stock. I politely reminded him that not ten minutes
earlier, he told me they had it. He told me to hold, which I did for
over 30 minutes (expensive call, I'm from FL). He picked back up and
was shocked I was still on the line. Finally after more grumbling
and fussing, he took my order. Much to my suprise, I did get it in
time. Not overnight like I paid for, but in time at least. I have to
say, in all our 18+ years as DeLorean owners, he was the only ultra
rude DeLorean person we have ever dealt with. Everyone else who
shares our car interest has been very nice and VERY helpful. I can't
stand people like him, but it sure makes me appreciate even more the
other wonderful and helpful DeLorean owners out there.

Linda
3424

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_...> wrote:

> OK......I did buy some things from D1 soon after I bought my
second car. Then I ordered some screws and other misc. things and
received the wrong things and they were incredibly overpriced. When
I called Ed I got the same rude reply that most others report. I
then posted my experience on the DML, way back before this
incarnation. I've not had anything to do with them since. Ed
shouldn't exist and the fact that he has dropped off the face of the
earth is a plus for all of us.

>   Chris
>   06301

[moderator snip]