From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 5:46 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3144

1. BTTF Delorean on opening sequence of Academy Awards
From: Cliff Schmucker <cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com>

2. Re: Small Coolant Leak
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. A quite DeLorean Weekend results
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. Dwell meter readings + possible vacuum leak
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Delorean Back To The Future Fan Trailer ...VERY COOL....!!!
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: A quite DeLorean Weekend
From: "Brandon Shelton" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Small Coolant Leak
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

8. Re: Ball joints
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

9. Re: Dwell meter readings + possible vacuum leak
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Ball joints
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

11. Re: Frame Flex?
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Frame Flex?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

13. Re: Frame Flex?
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

14. Re: Re: Ball joints
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

15. Re: Re: Frame Flex?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. DMCH Reproduction Headlight Switch
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 22:19:39 -0500
From: Cliff Schmucker <cliff_at_dml_deloreanproject.com>
Subject: BTTF Delorean on opening sequence of Academy Awards

tonight's Academy Awards began with a series of clips - first off was the BTTF Delorean racing down the road then taking off toward the "Hollywood" sign - pretty cool, even for those of us who are not die-hard BTTF fans

Cliff

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 04:03:10 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Small Coolant Leak

Alistair,

Are your cooling hoses still the original ones?

-Joe O'Brien

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:32:06 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: A quite DeLorean Weekend results

Well we reseated all of the pistons/cylinders got the heads and stuff back on and would have had the engine back in the car but we had one part missing so  we came to an abrupt halt.

We needed a gasket but the order came in as a front seal so oops.
No part

We will get the part Tuesday and drop the engine in on Wed.

The rest of it is together so once in it will just take a few days I  hope

We want it for Sunday so 6 days and counting (total engine rebuild) Second engine drop in and a very busy weekend

We got lots of pictures so it will be in a future magazine.  We shot  about 50 pics of just the cylinder assembly so we should have some great  shots.
This was the first total rebuild I have done.  For the most part I  don't have to reseat the cylinders so this was a bit farther.

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 05:36:32 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Dwell meter readings + possible vacuum leak

Ok here are my dwell meter readings. My Dwell meter is of the
variety that has a + and - lead and then the dwell lead. I have
attached the positive lead to the jump post and the negative lead to
block. The dwell lead is connected to the orange wire that would
normally be plugged into the diagnostic plug. This lead is melted
and can not be plugged into the diagnostic plug.

Fixed: 61%
WOT engaged: 66%

Then after about five minutes the meter goes from 61% slowly to 42%
and then pops back to 61% and repeats over and over until it starts
to settle at: 55%-44% so 50.5% average

Fully warmed up: 58% - 46% so 52% average

I can not get the meter to fluctuate around 45%.  Further enrichment
causes the FV to stop buzzing and the dwell meter reading ceases to
fluctuate.

Now; I can hear this hissing sound on the driver's side of the
engine. Listening through a piece of PVC pipe the sound seems to
come from the hose that runs between the cold start valve and the
idle regulator.  I removed the hose and it is fine but the sound
persists! I originally though that the leak was coming from the tube
that runs into the mixture control unit. Any ideas? I am assuming
this is a vacuum leak but perhaps it's something else. Thoughts,
comments, corrections, criticisms greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:34:10 -0000
From: "ashtonorlan" <ashtonorlan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean Back To The Future Fan Trailer ...VERY COOL....!!!

Just thought I'd pass this along, its fan made and very cool..U_at_dml_ is a
perfect match I have to say...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DiHkmAyS7k8

Brian

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:50:05 -0000
From: "Brandon Shelton" <morpheus34711_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: A quite DeLorean Weekend

Ed,

I'm one of 3 (soon to be 4) D owners in the Orlando area who get
together on a regular basis and have tech days, or just hang out in
general.  We have varying levels of experience in fixing our cars, but
i'm sure you can glean some sort of info from us.  You can also find
some of us on Tamir's webboard if you like.

Even though DMCFL is 3.5 hours away, there are some jobs that just
aren't worth the risk in taking them to some shady local shop.  Just
something to think about.

Brandon Shelton
VIN#4205 "DeLilah"
Orlando, FL.

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 16:39:36 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

Hello Alistair

I've had the exact same problem with my car last winter. And I could not
find the leak. I even posted to the DML looking for help to no avail. All
the hoses were fairly new and all the claps were tight. It kept leaking when
the temperature dropped below about 5 degrees C.
One day I decided to find the leak. I left the car outside for a while in
some really cold weather and went looking for the leak with a small
flashlight. It turned out that the water pump was leaking at the shaft. It
turned out that as the metal shrunk the old seal was not able to keep the
system tight. I got the water pump rebuilt and the problem went away. I even
left the car outside for a whole night in -15C weather and not a drop of
coolant came out.
Check the water pump. It's hard to see it but I managed to find that leak.
Leave the car in cold so it starts leaking and then lay down on the ground
and look up at the water pump. I saw a drop of coolant right behind the
pulley on the pump... and then another drop... and another. It was not a
large leak. I didn't have to add any coolant but I could see it on the
ground under the engine... towards the back of the car. Your leaks seems
exactly the same.

Good luck!

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth:  5225'17"N 211'59"E
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
www.deloreana.com

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 16:07:22 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Ball joints

Hello

I feel that I need to tell you about my experience with the lower ball
joint. It failed on my car without warning and it was only about 5000 miles
old. When I bought my car I replaced all the safety related parts just to
make sure the car is in fact safe. Lower and upper ball joints were among a
bunch of other things that were replaced. I don't drive like a maniac so I
didn't subject the part to any excessive forces. Nothing was loose and there
was no warning that something might actually happen. One day on my way home
while I was going down a narrow street at about 15 - 20 mph my right lower
ball joint suddenly failed. The car dropped to the ground, lower control arm
scraped some material off the rim and then landed on the ground. The only
indication that I had was that on last two turns the steering was a bit
stiffer that usual... that's it.
The joint just separated... as in the ball came out of the socket.
This was a bit scary for me because it turned out that a fairly new part can
fail with almost no warning. Looking on the bright side, this is probably
very unusual and will not happen again. At least I hope it will not happen
again

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:59:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Dwell meter readings + possible vacuum leak

It could be a loose/rotted hose on the "coal canister"
that is located in the left side of the engine
compartment.  There is a little square held in by 11mm
bolts.  Take that square part off and look on the coal
canister; there are 3 ends - 2 of them utilize hoses.
The third is appropriately labeled "carb", and since
our stock DeLoreans don't utilize a carburetor, there
should be a rubber end on that connection.  If the
rubber is cracked, brittle, or just plain NOT THERE,
that could be a huge vacuum leak.  It can happen,
believe me, I found out one afternoon just taking the
time to look - found that it was completely rotted
out.

Jeremiah

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:07:30 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

A catastrophic failure of ANY suspension component is a serious
matter. It can occur from defective parts, incorrect parts, worn
parts, or improperly handled parts. An in-depth analysis of the failed
part can sometimes help determine the cause of the failure. For
instance if you did not get the part from a Delorean vendor you may
have gotten a cross-referneced part that fit but was not up to the
requirements of the application. Another possability is the way you
installed it. If you used excessive force or incorrectly applied force
to the parts you may have damaged them. In my experience ball joints
tend to fail when you are moving slow and turning. Lucky thing,
imagine losing a left hand ball joint at speed on a multi-lane highway
and going into oncomming traffic! You will have more to repair than
just a ball joint! Several of the recalls involved the front
suspension. That is how serious this area is to safety. My guess is
that you did not get the ball joint from a Delorean vendor. Can you
figure out where you did get it and the part #'s and manufacturer so
we can warn others? If in fact this is the case you might consider
replacing the other lower joint. Carefully check the lower control arm
to be sure you did not bend it.

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:25:57 -0000
From: "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Frame Flex?

Resubmitted-

My "lotus friend" has his car with him today.  I saw the cracks with
my own eyes, and he confirms this is a problem that he has discussed
with other Esprit owners.

He also explains that to see the cracks, you need to cut some of the
fiberglass...  So, it is not an area that most people will inspect.

The sheet-metal plate over the shifter is replaced with a much
thicker steel plate that I have in my hand as I type this message.
It has 12 large bolt holes in it as opposed to a few (four?) small
screw holes.  "receivers" need to be welded in to the Lotus frame so
this new plate can be bolted in.

The sticker on this new plate reads:

P525.4705.017AF Plate-Tunnel In
LOTUS CARS U.S.A. INC.    004540
Line:    58  DSP: P0081882 Type V
Loc: 3D52J        Qty: 1

My friend says this plate was use in the 1993 S300, but added as a
running change to regular Esprits in 1995 around Vin 63050 (approx).
HIS source of information is a guy named Sanj Vatuk who (I am told)
is well known in the Lotus community.

WHEW!  With all of that said, I guess this is not a problem that
anyone has seen in the DeLorean..  Having just looked at the Lotus
frame, I see it is galvanized steel.  Looks to be a bit thinner than
the DeLorean frame (weight consideration?).

If anyone has their center console and shifter out, you might as well
spend a few minutes inspecting the area anyway.  Could not hurt!

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 20:42:34 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Thanks for following up on this Marc.  Next time I have access to a frame
from a later car I'll take a closer look.

-------------- Original message from "malevy_nj" <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>: --------------

Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 21:46:05 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Marc and others,

After having inspected and dismantled a worst case scenerio
DeLorean frame for flex (DeLorean roll-over damaged frame),
I believe there is very little to worry about on this center
section of the DeLorean frame, shifter area or otherwise.
Even on a DeLorean that had been rolled over at expressway
speeds, there are little or no signs of cracks in this area.

Having dismantled several DeLoreans with significant Midwest
RustBelt damage, this center frame area shows very few signs
of rust damage, even on really rusty frames, which would be
the primary way to substantially weaken the center section.

If enough people are interested, I may be able to setup a
damaged frame display area at DCS 2006, to show of the good
and bad aspects of the epoxy coated steel DeLorean frame.
Setting up next to Pearce Design could motivate SS frame sales.

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:47:38 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Ball joints

I belive some of the early concerns regarding ball joints related to the
threaded shaft breaking rather than the joint actually separating. Early
ball joints were installed using nylock nuts and recalls required a
castellated nut to replace the nylock one with a subsequent hole drilled
through the threaded end of the joint allowing a cotter pin to be installed
to hold the nut in place. I'm not sure what caused the shafts to break but
there were some warnings many years ago regarding that possibility and
that's probably where the ball joint concerns grew from. I'd think after all
these years a ball joint with flawed metallurgy or whatever caused that
problem in a few cars would have shown up by now.

Bruce Benson

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:16:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Frame Flex?

Thanks for the information Rich.. You have seen enough
DeLorean frames that I can trust your judgment on
them. :)

BTW, did you inspect this area of the frame on you
Buick turbo DeLorean?  The Lotus has a bit more power
than the DeLorean, and I also wonder if that has
something to do with it.

Currently working on my own high power conversion, I
started this discussion to get some ideas on if I need
to "beef up" the DeLorean frame to handle more than 2X
the intended horse power.

Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:11:34 -0600
From: "Jace & Jenn" <judtnet_at_dml_cableone.net>
Subject: DMCH Reproduction Headlight Switch

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know of an update on the reproduction headlight switch?  The website still shows Feb 2006.

Jace